Ironscythe's Mobile Suit Artwork (Mass Update 4/29/09!!!)

The place to share your artwork.
Wingnut

Yeah, 89R is the Hi-Mo A Type from F91. The rest of the model numbers are correct though.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
The Big Zabowski

Hmm, I just realized (After some illegal copy, paste, and photoshop foolery) that these images have the potential to be new Franken fodder..

Which means: IronScythe here has some work to do to satisfy the Mahqerland..

EDIT: This is what I am talking about. Example can be called a "Nemo Cannon"
TRANS AM!
Yes, it's a V8.
Yes, it was a Trans Am before there was "TRANS AM."
Yes, it's mine. 8)
ironscythe
Location: Jaburo Base, sitting on top of an undetonated nuke.

ARGH! NOOOO!

RGM-89R GM III
sorry! I was in such a hurry to get that last post up that I didn't even look at what I was typing. I know it's the 86R.
Hmm, I just realized (After some illegal copy, paste, and photoshop foolery) that these images have the potential to be new Franken fodder..
Which means: IronScythe here has some work to do to satisfy the Mahqerland..
um...I'm flattered, and sure, I guess people can use them, but please post any work you do with them in this thread for me to get a look at. Also, if you post them anywhere else, please give the proper legal disclaimer. I spend on average about 1-2 hours on each of these drawings, so be courteous. I hear a lot about art-theft these days. Nothing personal.
The Big Zabowski

Well, since you insisted in having them posted here, here is my final take on the Nemo Cannon. I will keep with consistency and utilize your art only when making these frankens, just to get your name out there.

After all, these images are easier to use than the Simmons art, IMO, and could be used as an introduction to Frankening. You just might have created a monster here, IronScythe..
TRANS AM!
Yes, it's a V8.
Yes, it's mine. 8)
mcred23

Well, the problem with it compared to normal Frankens or lineart is it doesn't give you a sense of depth and is only a frontal shot, compared to the angled side view of lineart. The MS by ironscythe consistantly look too short and too thin and you really can't get as good of a feel of it as you would with normal lineart. A few do look fairly good, but the majority simply look odd compared to the lineart and/or animated versions.
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
ironscythe

praise and criticism

You just might have created a monster here, IronScythe..
Well, I hope nobody takes it that far, but I'm glad you think my work has potential for frankening.
Well, the problem with it compared to normal Frankens or lineart is it doesn't give you a sense of depth and is only a frontal shot, compared to the angled side view of lineart
Actually, mcred23, the "frontal shot" method is what I set out to do in the first place. There are already angled, posed views of these machines all over the internet, from many different artists. I intentionally went for this view to see if I could interpret the lineart from a different angle. I know, their proportions aren't totally accurate, but to get them perfect, I'd have to take a ruler to them and actually measure out the sides of each surface.

I know I'm nowhere near as skilled as Mark Simmons at lineart, but I'm doing what I can, in my own original style.
ironscythe

More stuff!

Since my last post, I have added the following mobile suits to my gallery:

AMX-103 Hamma Hamma
AMX-104 R-Jarja
AMX-107 Bawoo (Glemy & production colors)
AMX-008 Ga-Zowm
AMX-009 Dreissen
RMS-192M Zaku Mariner
AMX-109 Capule

As I've recently procured the full series of ZZ Gundam on DVD, I have decided to draw and upload each new mobile suit in order of when I see them in the episodes. The next batch will be from the desert-combat segment of the series.

EDIT: Okay, I've just begun the Desert-combat artwork, first with the EWAC Zack (Eye-Zack). Unfortunately, it's only viewable on my SheezyArt page, since Deviantart is experiencing technical difficulties with their submission and gallery system. Here's a link to my SheezyArt page in case you didn't catch it on the first page.

http://ironscythe.sheezyart.com
The Big Zabowski

Update with Ironscythe inspired frankens: "used" in the Tales from the frontlines Zeta RPG

Nemo scheme I

Nemo Scheme II
TRANS AM!
Yes, it's a V8.
Yes, it's mine. 8)
ironscythe

nice

I'm impressed with the "dark Nemo" paintjob. Nicely done. The shoulder detailing reminds me of the camo skins from MechWarrior 4 Vengeance (I dunno if you've played that or not, but okay). I'm sorry for not updating for a while--I'm on vacation in Hawai'i, and will be starting at a new school as soon as I get back. Long story short, I'm not totally sure when my next batch of updates will be. Soon, I hope.
Fall_Ryan

Ironsycthe, I love the style, it's very similiar to the source book art from the Heavy Gear RPG. I used to draw in this style as well.

So, looking at your stuff I made this little ditty, using your RX-78's faceplate,eyes and chin, the rest is mine.

RX-79G-2 Long Bow Gundam

Lame designation I know, came up with it on a whim, basically it's a upgrade and refit of the few existing RX79G's in the post war era, outfitted for long range lone hunting missions picking off Zeon Remnants.
ironscythe

long time since my last post....

So, looking at your stuff I made this little ditty, using your RX-78's faceplate,eyes and chin, the rest is mine.

RX-79G-2 Long Bow Gundam
No, Fall_Ryan, it's not lame at all.

On the subject of updates, I've almost finished all the mobile suits from ZZ Gundam. All I have left are the Enhanced ZZ, FAEZZ, Quin Mantha, and Qubeley mass-production type, and that's it. I'm not sure if I'll go on to Char's Counterattack, or try my hand at some original designs (I have this idea from a while back, and it might be time to unveil it), but rest-assured that the updates will keep coming!

Update: Enhanced ZZ Gundam is done. Come and share in its swept-fin glory!

http://ironscythe.deviantart.com

ironscythe

I'm back, baby!

That's right, now that I am done with fall-term classes, I can devote my christmas vacation days to updating my art galleries! Woohoo!
*ahem*...anyway, I am pleased to report that I have worked my way up through Double-Zeta, completed (mostly) Char's Counterattack, and I am now into F91! So far, I have completed the Den'an Zon and the A and B-type Jegan variants (since the Normal type is essentially the same as the standard RGM-89). Expect more updates this week, as I now have my very own scanner at home! *the crowd goes wild!* So, yeah, come on down to either one of my two art galleries for much mobile suit fun!

http://ironscythe.deviantart.com
and
Ascension

My! I hadn't noticed until I saw your rendition of the Quin Mantha that the Abyss's shoulder shells are a complete rip off of the QM...
Don't call it a comeback...
...in fact, it's best if you forget I was ever here before.
ironscythe

well...

Well, you could say that, but it's not like it's a novel idea to make curved, wing-like shoulder pieces or anything...

[EDIT]:Alright, for those who care, I just finished uploading the Den'an Gei to both of my galleries. Enjoy! [END OF EDIT]
ironscythe

Any opinions?

Okay, here's the deal:

About 30 minutes after submitting my latest mobile suit lineart to my Sheezyart account, I receive a message from some unnamed admin that they decided to change my picture's category from lineart to "cartoons and comics" because lineart cannot have color in it. By MAHQ's standards, lineart can be either black and white or color, as you are all well aware from seeing the mech profile pages. Also, there is nothing cartoony or comic-like about my artwork whatsoever. So here's where I'm asking: what do you think about this? Should I bow and scrape to this admin and just go on submitting under "cartoons and comics", or should they change their definition of lineart?
G.Squirrel

Also, there is nothing cartoony or comic-like about my artwork whatsoever.
Maybe, maybe not, but your art is emulating a cartoon and comic franchise. Besides, that's a rather subjective statement.

Anime and manga are cartoons and comics, so I don't see any reason to protest that. Also, lineart is defined as "graphic material that consists of lines or areas of pure black and pure white and requires no screening for reproduction".

Sorry man, but you have no case.

Anyway, you have some quality material going on and I hope you continue posting it.
ironscythe

Current state of affairs

Current list of completed F91 mobile suit artwork:

XM-01 Den'an Zon
RGM-89R&M Jegan variants
XM-02 Den'an Gei
RXR-44 Guntank R-44
F71 G-Cannon
RGM-109 Heavygun
XM-03 Ebirhu-S
XM-04 Berga Dalas
F91 Gundam F91
XM-06 Dahgi Iris

Feel free to stop by and, if you have a DA account, leave me some feedback (you could also do just leave it here in this thread, of course).
I'm pretty sure once I finish this, I'll be moving on to Victory. Stay tuned!
Turinu

You're good at doing these front view designs, I really like them. Keep up the great work. You should try doing front view requests for frankens or something like that, add a little variety to your collection aside from just those from the actual series. :P.
ironscythe

Thanks for the comment, Shori. The reason I'm not doing any frankens is because of my ongoing project of drawing each and every official mobile suit from the UC-era anime.

As you may notice, my work on this starts waaay back with the 0079-era mobile suits, and works its way up through zeta, double-zeta, char's counterattack, and now F91. I will eventually go back and cover 08th MS Team, 0080 War in the Pocket, and 0083 Stardust Memory as well, but for now I have a fairly comfortable level of momentum in this project of mine.

You're free to use my art in making your own frankens, and I suppose I might take some requests, but my project takes priority. Also, I request that any frankens of my work be given the proper disclaimer as to who did the original work.
Zeonic Glory

You forget V Gundam. You lose 10 points ofr no V Gundam love :lol:

V Gundam does have nice designs tho
Warning: When using Minovsky Particles, please do not drive or operate heavy machinery. If you have a Newtype Flash lasting longer than 6 hours, please call 911 as this may be a sign of a serious and life threatening side-effect. Ask your doctor if taking Minovsky Particles are right for you.