The Official Macross Delta Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.

Moderators: ShadowCell, EZero8, Destiny_Gundam, Kenji

Arbiter GUNDAM
Gun-toting Patlabor Pilot

Re: The Official Macross Delta Anime Thread Mk I

Post by Arbiter GUNDAM » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:10 am

pirx wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:58 am
Speaking about new series - is there any info about it out there that is fresh? I only found mentions almost year old from january 2017.
nope, not a thing. I'd be willing to bet that we won't hear anything until around the time of the Delta movie.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion

Arbiter GUNDAM
Gun-toting Patlabor Pilot

Post by Arbiter GUNDAM » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:46 am

Chisato Mita has drawn a key visual for the new Delta movie Passionate Walkure. Seems to reveal... an armored VF-31?!

Also there is a preview on Youtube but it's region locked :(

UPDATE: SCREW REGION LOCKS!! :mrgreen:
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion

pirx
Cardboard Leo Ace

Post by pirx » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:34 am

So it's out on 9th of February. We'll see how it turns out.
That FB video you linked seems to be removed.

Seto Kaiba
Pilot's Doomed Girlfriend

Post by Seto Kaiba » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:36 pm

The trailer was pretty underwhelming, a few very short clips of mostly recycled footage from the series and some pan shots over static pieces of promotional art...
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...

pirx
Cardboard Leo Ace

Post by pirx » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:38 pm

pirx
Cardboard Leo Ace

Post by pirx » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:43 am

Big West has released a new Delta movie trailer yesterday:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7Mbv4uSr3g

Poochi
Cardboard Leo Ace

Post by Poochi » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:45 pm

I just binge watched the series and felt I wasted my time. There's no reason to watch Delta if you've already seen Frontier. Everything about Frontier was better: the mecha combat, the characters, the songs, etc. Delta was too formulaic. You just knew Roid was going to end up being the big bad from the moment he was introduced.

There was nothing memorable between when Windermere captured Ragna (ep ~13ish) and the final battle (eps 24-25); just Hayate and Frejya saying "I love flying/singing" again and again. I still don't get how Walkure's hologram boomerang thingys can block friggin' missiles.
Code name Lockon Stratos. The man who can snipe from across the stratosphere.

Seto Kaiba
Pilot's Doomed Girlfriend

Post by Seto Kaiba » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:05 am

Poochi wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:45 pm
I just binge watched the series and felt I wasted my time. There's no reason to watch Delta if you've already seen Frontier. Everything about Frontier was better: the mecha combat, the characters, the songs, etc. Delta was too formulaic. [...]

Speaking as a huge Macross fan, yeah... the whole Macross Frontier arc was always going to be a very tough (read: virtually impossible) act to follow, and Macross Δ definitely was not up to the job.

You're certainly not alone in those sentiments. The Macross Δ series took a pretty severe thrashing from the fans of previous Macross shows, most of whom tend to agree the show's writing was its biggest issue. Pacing problems in the second half, a lack of exposition until some info dump episodes in the second half, an unbalanced focus on Walkure vs. Delta Flight, and Roid's master plan being a blatant copy of Grace's from Frontier were among the most common issues raised... though there was also grumbling about shoddy fight choreography, some lack of participation in the love triangle by Mirage in the second half, and the Aerial Knights entire backstory and their sympathetic plot points being dispensed only in a gaiden manga as well.

(That said, I personally found the VF-31A to be probably the best-looking 5th Generation VF to date...)

Poochi wrote:
[...] You just knew Roid was going to end up being the big bad from the moment he was introduced. [...]
He didn't exactly try to hide it... between the Shiny Scary Glasses, the conspicuous white uniform, his job title being "chancellor" (an almost-always-evil job title)...

Poochi wrote:
I still don't get how Walkure's hologram boomerang thingys can block friggin' missiles.
Now that's an easy one.

Y'see, the MDP-001W Cygnus multidrone plate is essentially a semi-autonomous battery-powered drone that has support gear for Walkure built into it. This includes holographic projectors, a small spotlight, and a modest low-powered pin-point barrier system. When operating in swarms, the Cygnus multidrones can chain their pin-point barriers together to form a usably large barrier capable of stopping single shots from mecha-mounted weapons.

(This comes with the obvious shortcoming that, just as on VFs, the barrier system draws an enormous amount of power to warp space-time into an impassable shield... so the drones can only operate their barriers for a short time before needing to be recharged.)
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...

Poochi
Cardboard Leo Ace

Post by Poochi » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:56 am

Those were my gripes with Delta as well.

I quite liked the Drakens myself.
Code name Lockon Stratos. The man who can snipe from across the stratosphere.