New Macross TV series in 2018

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
yazi88

Re: New Macross TV series in 2018

Hmm, good point, for some reason I thought Delta would've followed the same route as Frontier and gotten a movie version, to alteast make a bit more sense from the 2nd half and that ending. Oh well.

But thanks for the info, it makes more sense when you put it that way.
SonicSP

The lack of direct connection between Macross shows is one of the things that I never really liked about it, even if it has its upsides.
Seto Kaiba

SonicSP wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:22 pm The lack of direct connection between Macross shows is one of the things that I never really liked about it, even if it has its upsides.
If the novels and manga were available in the west, you'd probably enjoy the hell out of those. They draw SO MANY connections between the different shows and games and manga.

Macross R, in the space of just a dozen short chapters, draws connections to Macross Zero, Super Dimension Fortress Macross, Macross Plus, Macross 7 (excessively), Macross VF-X, Macross VF-X2, the Macross Frontier novelization, and to a lesser extent Macross M3, Macross Frontier (as a call forward), and is also referenced downstream by Macross 30 adding Vanquish races as a game mode and the Macross Delta novelization.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
yazi88

So it sounds like Macross mangas do what certain Gundam mangas do too, by referencing more to previous works outside of Gundam anime that is.
SonicSP

Seto Kaiba wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:11 pm
SonicSP wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:22 pm The lack of direct connection between Macross shows is one of the things that I never really liked about it, even if it has its upsides.
If the novels and manga were available in the west, you'd probably enjoy the hell out of those. They draw SO MANY connections between the different shows and games and manga.

Macross R, in the space of just a dozen short chapters, draws connections to Macross Zero, Super Dimension Fortress Macross, Macross Plus, Macross 7 (excessively), Macross VF-X, Macross VF-X2, the Macross Frontier novelization, and to a lesser extent Macross M3, Macross Frontier (as a call forward), and is also referenced downstream by Macross 30 adding Vanquish races as a game mode and the Macross Delta novelization.
Sounds like I would actually.
Arbiter GUNDAM

yazi88 wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:21 pm Hmm, good point, for some reason I thought Delta would've followed the same route as Frontier and gotten a movie version, to alteast make a bit more sense from the 2nd half and that ending. Oh well.

But thanks for the info, it makes more sense when you put it that way.
That happened to Frontier because of its enormous popularity. While Delta hasn't been unpopular (at least in Japan), it hasn't had the same kind of... explosive popularity that Frontier had.

Or maybe they just wanted to do something different.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
yazi88

From what I've seen and heard, Delta has done very very well in merchandising. BD sales I'm not sure compared to Frontier but pretty well I'm guessing. Something different might be the case, or as Kaiba pointed earlier, plans changed during production.
Seto Kaiba

SonicSP wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:45 am Sounds like I would actually.
Then I look forward to fulfilling that particular desire in the not-too-distant future. Once I'm done with the new stuff from Macross Delta and the old Macross Journal Extra: VF-1 Valkyrie Special Edition book, I'm intending to make my first foray into publishing translations of light novels with Macross R and the light novel version of Macross 30: Voices Across the Galaxy.

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:43 am That happened to Frontier because of its enormous popularity. While Delta hasn't been unpopular (at least in Japan), it hasn't had the same kind of... explosive popularity that Frontier had.

Or maybe they just wanted to do something different.
I'm not sure it's entirely down to Macross Frontier's post-premiere popularity. Unlike the OVAs, which are hit-and-miss popularity-wise, new Macross TV shows have always found a fairly strong immediate following. The absence of a movie for Macross Delta does stand out as a bit odd, given that every previous series had had at least one movie or movie-length follow-up. (Macross 7's was a sort of extra-long side story episode.)

By now, I'd expect Macross's creators to take doing a movie after the series as a given unless the show were to do the unexpected and tank. Doing the movie as the climax/conclusion to the series was a new one, but that would probably have gone over fairly well if it hadn't gotten absorbed into the series as the second half.

yazi88 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:07 am From what I've seen and heard, Delta has done very very well in merchandising. BD sales I'm not sure compared to Frontier but pretty well I'm guessing. Something different might be the case, or as Kaiba pointed earlier, plans changed during production.
I've seen no published numbers for Macross Delta's Blu-ray sales yet, but then the only times Frontier's were bandied about were when it broke a particular sales record or won a best-seller award from a vendor, etc.

Macross Delta does seem to be doing pretty well on the merchandising front, though a lot of it seems to be biased towards music and character goods. Frontier's merchandising was more diverse, and more balanced.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...