Power Rangers (Post PR Twitch Marathon) Discussion Thread

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Mu La Flaga

Power Rangers (Post PR Twitch Marathon) Discussion Thread

So I wanted to make a little thread(that's not anime and/or a manga) to discuss Power Rangers especially after the Twitch Marathon that came and went.

I mean I can't speak for everyone but the Zords or robots in Sentai/Power Rangers are pretty awesome to watch in action also.

I also wanted to discuss and see how people think of some of the series, what you saw, liked/disliked ect.

I'll kind of kick it off with some bits.
I myself have seen all the Zordon and most of the post-Zordon era series.
The ones I had not seen going in to the marathon were.

Light Speed Rescue, Time Force, Wild Force.
I did get to catch most of the series before at various points, I caught a bit of Light Speed Rescue, missed Time Force and Wild Force mostly due to work.

I want to say that I really love in Space, Lost Galaxy MMPR(all 3 seasons), Zeo.

Turbo still feels kind of "eh" to me for some reason, maybe Justin has something to do with it partly.

I did grow a SUPER big appreciation for Light Speed Rescue, I wish I was able to watch more of Time Force.

I could go on a Zord rant, but I'll save that for another post.
How about anyone else?
Henyo

Re: Power Rangers (Post PR Twitch Marathon) Discussion Thread

wouldn't this be better placed in the General discussion :D thread?

anyways, i'm a fan still. i watch both Sentai and PR at the same time actually.
Dino Charge was enjoyable!!! Ninja Steel is kinda meh right now. so is Kyuuranger.
as of this post, i have yet to watch In space up to light speed rescue. and the's more because those seasons were never aired here in the Philippines. and i have no time to spare for them. XD

for the mechs i prefer when they use models than CG. there's just something magical about models.

what about the 2017 movie? i really liked that one. can't wait for Tommy Oliver!!!
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
AmuroNT1

Kyuranger is fine just so long as you ignore Lucky.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Mu La Flaga

Henyo, I agree, I prefer the way they did the Robot and Monster battles with practical effects as to the overly cringey used CGI in later series.

I also felt in Space still remains pretty strong for lots of reasons,
Lost Galaxy is a little slow at the start but once you get the Magna Defender and 1-2 other bits in the show it picks up some momentum.
I'll say that on LSR too, when it gets goiing the battles and stakes get a bit crazy at times.

Admittingly with regards to the Sentai part of things, I don't really watch the Sentai versions.
I do like to hear little interesting details of note though at times regarding the differences and all that.
Henyo

AmuroNT1 wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:46 pm Kyuranger is fine just so long as you ignore Lucky.
maybe its him. maybe its the fact that I've been watching Sentai and Rider non stop. i do have to say that i have nothing against idiot red rangers.

i do want to watch the PR seasons I've missed. any recommendations on the shorter ones? i might be able to make time for them given PR's current style of airing.
AmuroNT1

Unfortunately, all too often the Red Ranger in Sentai is made an enthusiastic idiot so he can be the "kid appeal character". The problem is, since Red is always the team leader, that means he needs to succeed despite being an idiot, and in way too many instances they forgo giving him other positive traits in favor of just having success fall into his lap.

A prime example of this was Takaharu from Ninninger, whose only positive trait was "never giving up"...something that EVERY superhero has anyway. Though some also complain about Daigo from Kyoryuger, I still think he had enough redeeming traits to balance it out.
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

Henyo

AmuroNT1 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:32 pm Unfortunately, all too often the Red Ranger in Sentai is made an enthusiastic idiot so he can be the "kid appeal character". The problem is, since Red is always the team leader, that means he needs to succeed despite being an idiot, and in way too many instances they forgo giving him other positive traits in favor of just having success fall into his lap.

A prime example of this was Takaharu from Ninninger, whose only positive trait was "never giving up"...something that EVERY superhero has anyway. Though some also complain about Daigo from Kyoryuger, I still think he had enough redeeming traits to balance it out.
interesting. my question now is how often does PR go for the idiot red ranger route. as I've mentioned i missed the seasons after Zeo. i only picked PR again with Wild Force. and even then just glimpses.
also the kid appeal characters. i think PR also uses them less than sentai.
AmuroNT1

Power Rangers doesn't use the "Idiot Red" trope nearly as much Sentai and not in the same capacity. It only really comes up in seasons where they shamelessly imitate the Sentai, and even then only in seasons where Sentai's Red was an example of the trope.

Kuruni

AmuroNT1 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:32 pm Unfortunately, all too often the Red Ranger in Sentai is made an enthusiastic idiot so he can be the "kid appeal character". The problem is, since Red is always the team leader, that means he needs to succeed despite being an idiot, and in way too many instances they forgo giving him other positive traits in favor of just having success fall into his lap.
You bring back memory...I remember how older series usually have red as the most serious person in the group. Heck, back then his problem (aside from personal problem and how the most dangerous villain marked him as personal target) is usually that he can be too hard and insensitive to other members.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Henyo

AmuroNT1 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:59 pm Power Rangers doesn't use the "Idiot Red" trope nearly as much Sentai and not in the same capacity. It only really comes up in seasons where they shamelessly imitate the Sentai, and even then only in seasons where Sentai's Red was an example of the trope.
gotta check that out then. Gaoranger, Timeranger and Shinkenger. these are the three that are more or less the same as their Sentai versions yes?

also, here's an article about the 2017 PR movie.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interes ... lm/.115345

i want to hear JYB's!!!
AmuroNT1

Actually, the trend of "stupid" Reds didn't really start until around Gekiranger (the JP equivalent of Jungle Fury) and even then it's not a sure thing. Shinkenger's Red was fairly cool-headed and intelligent and is very popular with fans as a result. If you're really looking for idiot Reds, Ninninger is probably the worst recent example. A lot of people rag on Kyoryuger, but I feel that the Red there had enough positive traits to balance it out.

Regarding that article, I feel like people are REALLY blowing stuff out of proportion. The feeling I got was that Mr. Jones and Mr. Yost were joking around. I mean, look at it: they aren't criticizing the script, or the acting, or any substantive traits of the movie. Instead they're complaining about aspects that even fans of the original show will admit were pretty cheesy in hindsight. And I'm sure they realize that those aspects were cheesy, because they LIVED them.

Mu La Flaga

I know the thread has been kind of quiet for a little.
But I kind of wanted to add a post on like, any Zords we had a love for and also the numerous casualties of Power Rangers/Sentai series that have fallen in battle too.
Some series their whole line up gets wiped out other times it's just some of them(like seconday Zords or assisting Zords) that get blown to scrap.

I mean I'll kind of kick this off with a little thought or 2.
Out of all the zords to get trashed, the Thunder Zords of MMPR Season 2 was kind of sad to see them fall to pieces whilst completely blowing apart.

They also happened to be some of my favourites because of how they seemed to be a step up in terms of Power in battles.

I also want to give love to the In Space and Light Speed Rescue Zords.
Space has well, their first Zord is also their home base, so every time they went in to battle they put their base on the line.

On a little note Delta Megazord being able to combine and be remote controlled, was a niffty support Zord and a seperate spaceship in it's own right.

Mega Voyager was cool and obviously worked really well when paired up with Mega Winger.

Light Speed Rescue; well let's see the Light Speed Megazord was pretty cool since it was made to be formed out of rescue vehicles should monsters/demons shower up and it could handle itself.
Not to mention when it combines with the Solarzord Max to get armor and powered up firepower like crazy

Next up their second main Zord was probably my favourite of their line up the Supertrain Megazord formed by the Rail Rescue super train units, which normally transport the Light Speed Megazord vehicles.
They can fly(limited time to combine), then when it comes back down it has firepower, missiles(regular and cryo), turbine cannon.

And finally Omega Megazord, which to me is ok, the name is cool, the "walker" mode used in it's debut was a very obvious mid stage transformation(just how like the original Megazord had the "tank" mode)
It's weapons are OK, but it being their best Zord they used it all the time later on.

I'm not counting Life Force Megazord because it's a powered up repaint emergency Zord for the last episode.

So those are my thoughts.
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Wed May 03, 2017 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kuruni

Mu La Flaga wrote: Wed May 03, 2017 7:23 am Light Speed Rescue; well let's see the Light Speed Megazord was pretty cool since it was made to be formed out of rescue vehicles should monsters/demons shower up and it could handle itself.
Not to mention when it combines with the Solarzord Max to get armor and powered up firepower like crazy.
Mu La Flaga wrote: Wed May 03, 2017 7:23 am And finally Omega Megazord, which to me is ok, the name is cool, the "walker" mode used in it's debut was a very obvious mid stage transformation(just how like the original Megazord had the "tank" mode)
It's weapons are OK, but it being their best Zord they used it all the time later on.
I don't watch PR, but in Gogo V the two are equal. Max Victory Robo has greater firepower but it's dependent on sunlight and require to absorb enemy's attack to use Max Nova (or very long charge time) and it has limit on how much it can absorb. Victory Mars lack firepower of Max Victory Robo but is more sturdy and doesn't require sunlight thus make it better choice in the dark zone.

Well, and Victory Mars also has Gundam face...
Henyo

Mu La Flaga wrote: Wed May 03, 2017 7:23 am I know the thread has been kind of quiet for a little.
But I kind of wanted to add a post on like, any Zords we had a love for and also the numerous casualties of Power Rangers/Sentai series that have fallen in battle too.
Some series their whole line up gets wiped out other times it's just some of them(like seconday Zords or assisting Zords) that get blown to scrap.

ya know, that's what's been missing in Sentai/PR!!! Major damage to the zords during the fight. sure they get blown up/destroyed but the fight ends there.

in Jetman, Jet Icarus lost an arm during the fight. it ended up using it's sword finisher with one arm. i think Tetra Boy also got destroyed there. dunno if this was in the final episode or an earlier one.
Kuruni

Tetra Boy only get trashed in the last episode, much better record than other two.
Henyo

Kuruni wrote: Wed May 03, 2017 2:13 pm Tetra Boy only get trashed in the last episode, much better record than other two.
gonna check that out. i'm about to rewatch Jetman. :D
anyone here watching DIno Force Brave? the korean sequel of kyoryuger. just watched the first episode. it was good to be honest. WAY WAY Better that what Filipino fans got with Zaido.

just need to get used to hearing Korean.