What's the deal with the Turn A's thrust power?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Geoxile

What's the deal with the Turn A's thrust power?

In the later half of the series Turn A pushes back the Willgem, a fairly sizable ship for what it is, that intends to ram through the Turn A. Are there any numbers on the kind of thrust power the Willgem or Turn A were exhibiting? Because it seems immense to say the least considering not many MS in any show can push back an accelerating ship several times its size.

Now numbers aside, why exactly isn't the Turn A capable of flight when it has enough thrust to push back the Willgem? It seems like it is only capable of flying when it activates the Moonlight Butterfly wings, but what kept Loran from just zipping around for the better part of the show when his Gundam had that much power? Is there any explanation for this?
Seto Kaiba

Re: What's the deal with the Turn A's thrust power?

Geoxile wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:22 am In the later half of the series Turn A pushes back the Willgem, a fairly sizable ship for what it is, that intends to ram through the Turn A. Are there any numbers on the kind of thrust power the Willgem or Turn A were exhibiting?
Nothing I can find... it looks like the Willgem doesn't even have a stated mass.

It'd have to be an awful lot of thrust, considering the amount of inertia it'd have to overcome to resist being pushed back by something so much bigger than itself.

Geoxile wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:22 am Now numbers aside, why exactly isn't the Turn A capable of flight when it has enough thrust to push back the Willgem? It seems like it is only capable of flying when it activates the Moonlight Butterfly wings, but what kept Loran from just zipping around for the better part of the show when his Gundam had that much power? Is there any explanation for this?
It's been a while since I last watched the series, but wasn't there an issue with the functionality of the nozzles which were used for flight? Something to do with the nanomachine repair function? (They were clogged or something like that.)
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
Wingnut

Seto Kaiba wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:40 pm It's been a while since I last watched the series, but wasn't there an issue with the functionality of the nozzles which were used for flight? Something to do with the nanomachine repair function? (They were clogged or something like that.)
There was. This is even replicated in SRW Alpha Gaiden where the Turn A is grounded until a certain point.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
MythSearcher

Seto Kaiba wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:40 pm
Nothing I can find... it looks like the Willgem doesn't even have a stated mass.

It'd have to be an awful lot of thrust, considering the amount of inertia it'd have to overcome to resist being pushed back by something so much bigger than itself.

Considering the Turn A likely have warp drive capabilities, and highly likely unscientific inertia cancellor type of technology, the Physics will be much different from our understanding.
It's been a while since I last watched the series, but wasn't there an issue with the functionality of the nozzles which were used for flight? Something to do with the nanomachine repair function? (They were clogged or something like that.)
Yes, you have a scene where Loran kept thrusting wishing for more thrust until a point where some grey dirt gets thrusted out of the nozzles. That was explaint as dirt generated by the nanomachine repairing the Turn A for centuries.
Areku

What I'm about to post is something akin to apples and oranges, but I don't think it's completely irrelevant.

The F-22 Raptor has a total peak power/weight ratio ~52x greater than a Zumwalt-class destroyer, and comes within ~7% of Zumwalt's total propulsive output. Despite their immediately-obvious differences (one's a jetplane and one's a water-bound warship), they're pretty similar in terms of how they convert fuel -> propulsive power, are built from a comparable technology base, and fulfill somewhat comparable roles to the robot/spaceship being discussed.

Given how much more advanced the Turn A is compared to the Willghem and how the size disparity appears to be quite a bit smaller than my F-22/Zumwalt example, the scenario depicted doesn't appear to be particularly implausible.