Gundam Vs. Series Discussion Topic

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
domino

Re: Gundam Vs. Series Discussion Topic

Thanks for sharing

The cost system has been confused. It's changed from the 6000 total right?
AmuroNT1

Yeah, the cost system has been simplified down to 1000 points. The new cost tiers are 500, 400, 300, and 200, roughly corresponding to the 3000, 2500, 2000, and 1000 tiers from the ExVs series.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
domino

That's very interesting

Does that mean there is now a choice between having a 2 or 3 suit team?
AmuroNT1

I've heard talk that there's going to be 3-on-3 battles, but not sure whether it'll become the new standard or if it'll simply be an alternate mode.

I've also been told that now matches won't even start until there's a full room, unlike Full Boost where they'd dump you into side-matches with bots until you got a full four players.

Will ask the people I know who got into the beta for information/thoughts.
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

AmuroNT1

https://www.famitsu.com/news/201703/21129299.html

Gouf Custom, GP02A, F91, Freedom, and G-Self confirmed.

domino

AmuroNT1 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:33 pm I've heard talk that there's going to be 3-on-3 battles, but not sure whether it'll become the new standard or if it'll simply be an alternate mode.

I've also been told that now matches won't even start until there's a full room, unlike Full Boost where they'd dump you into side-matches with bots until you got a full four players.

Will ask the people I know who got into the beta for information/thoughts.
Some of the videos on Youtube show the player in training matches until a room is ready. I'm not sure if that is by choice

I've also seen at least one 3 vs 3 battle but like you implied, I'm not sure if that's by choice or not
BrentD15

Just a quick question, and I'm sure I'll get blasted for saying such heresy:
Am I the only one not enthusiastic of the giant crossover trend of this series?

I understand if I come off as hypocritical for suggesting this, but is it wrong to suggest that we can go back to a formula that is focused on a single series instead of trying to put every show into a single game?

I mean, if we can get Gates Capa as a playable character, the possibilities are endless. :P
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
domino

I think the "giant crossover" is a big part of this gaming series' popularity.

The only downsides to this are that some minor characters and exotic mobile suits are DLC which aren't easy to acquire for Westerners like myself
AceWhatever

In an ideal world, every Gundam era would have its own self contained Vs. game and Musou spin-off. But when only CE was big enough to muster its own Vs. games and G-Reco and IBO don't even have standalone games of any kind (I think? Do they even have a mobile game?), it just doesn't make sense for Namco Bandai to split the userbase of a product that's essentially a competitive fighting game. Maybe if they make the single series Vs. games console exclusive?
AmuroNT1

The main issue, at least as far as I see it, is that the era to do individual Vs. games for every single Gundam series has passed - if it ever existed in the first place. The first game was based off of the original show and the sequel was based off of Zeta; besides that being a logical progression, they're two of the most popular entries in the franchise (in case you couldn't tell by the fact that over 90% of the Gundam games made are for MSG or the OYW). SEED and Destiny getting games made sense because they were airing on TV at a time when the franchise was going strong. But it doesn't make any sense to go back and do Vs. games for series past, no matter if they were big hits in their time, because they aren't what's current.

The crossover format is really the only way we were ever going to get the vast majority of these shows in the series because it came out long after they had ended and Bandai had moved onto newer projects. I mean, if they passed on the opportunity to make a Gundam 00 Vs. game (when the time was perfect for it), why would they make an F91 Vs. or Gundam X Vs.?

Mu La Flaga

I want to say simply that unfortunately I agree with AmuroNT1's simple analysis/observation, the VS series itself has been on this path for a while.
I mean as much as it would be cool to see some of the newer and hyped series get in and get represented by doing a Crossover game they can cater to multiple Gundam fans who enjoy certain incarnations over others.

Sure some series like UC, CE had vast lots of MS and Gundams to make big games, but then you would always be kind of limited to the units contained within that universe.

A crossover title is not limited, it just means that every few years we got roster refreshes, changes of moves and other such things to try and make the formula fresh.

I can see why that might be a little tiring to it, but you can't do much about it.
Same thing happened with the DW Gundam games.
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
AmuroNT1

Don't get me wrong tho, I do think some of those games would be cool because certain MS would never get made in the Vs. format otherwise. It's just not gonna happen, even as a discount or download-only title because there's not enough interest to justify it or to make the production costs back.

The best one could hope for would be to figure out a way to mod Bootfighter Windom, and even then it wouldn't quite be enough.

BrentD15

Mu La Flaga wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:07 am Sure some series like UC, CE had vast lots of MS and Gundams to make big games, but then you would always be kind of limited to the units contained within that universe.
Well, that isn't necessarily a bad thing. :wink:
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
Mu La Flaga

BrentD15 wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:01 pm
Mu La Flaga wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:07 am Sure some series like UC, CE had vast lots of MS and Gundams to make big games, but then you would always be kind of limited to the units contained within that universe.
Well yeah but when it narrows the scope doesn't always make it good.
Same idea can go for SD Gundam G Generation games.

I think the broader selection works.
UC and CE get pretty well represented in VS games anyway.
BrentD15

Mu La Flaga wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:47 pm
BrentD15 wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:01 pm
Well yeah but when it narrows the scope doesn't always make it good.
Same idea can go for SD Gundam G Generation games.

I think the broader selection works.
UC and CE get pretty well represented in VS games anyway.
Considering both Universes have their own dedicated VS games, I can agree with that. :)
AmuroNT1

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... te/.114343

The release date for Gundam Versus has been confirmed as July 6th. As with past Vs games there'll be a premium sound edition that comes with songs pre-loaded. On top of this, there will be a limited edition that gives early access to some DLC characters, including the Hot Scramble Gundam.

They've also confirmed the Psyco Zaku from Thunderbolt and the Kimaris Trooper from IBO.

yazi88

I don't understand how and why the NEMO from Zeta Gundam is a playable unit... I'm guessing Katz is the pilot...
AmuroNT1

Hey, you've gotta have a punching bag for training mode.

domino

I've found that the low-tier mobile suits are often the most versatile though admittedly they don't pack much of a punch. They do work well as support when piloted by a skilled player in a team though
yazi88

I kind of thought there would be better low tier suits to choose from compared to the Nemo... Rick Dias would've been a better choice, plus its got more weapon options too. Or even a Jegan/ECOAS Jegan.