The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk IV

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
yazi88

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk IV

There you go, the model kit itself for the Hasmel explained it. I remember reading about it a while ago. Thank you Kuruni, I forgot about that! Its the classic case of machines going out of human control and slaughtering humans.
sdwoodchuck

That definitely shoots down the previous era theory, but I do suspect there's more to the mobile armors than we've been told so far. I'm not convinced that it's a simple matter of AI going rogue. For a while I was toying with the idea that the founders of Gjallarhorn created the MA's themselves in order to give the public an excuse to consolidate power, with Bael being able to actively control them.

But again, it's all conjecture. I'm just not convinced on the simple explanation for them.
yazi88

The model kit itself says it, and it fits what we've seen and heard so far along with McGillis's dialogue. Dumb war mongering humans in the past created super powerful mobile armors that went out of control. If anything, that tech is taboo because if used again it could lead to tragedy like the calamity war.
sdwoodchuck

Yes, the model kit itself gives a general overview, and I'm just not convinced that's the extent of it. I think there's probably more to the story there that still fits in that basic information framework. And I may be 100% wrong about that; I have no problem with that.
yazi88

Maybe some MSVs (whenever that is) can shed more light on other Gundams/MS and possibly give more snippits of the Calamity War and mobile armors too.
doghunter1

Having read the backstory on Hashmal, it seems that the Calamity War started because somebody took pages from Romefeller from After Colony.
Amion

Nice as those manuals are, they aren't really official unless they're in anime, and we have no 100% guarantee info given by characters is totally irrefutably true. For all we know there was a LOT more complexity behind the Calamity War than what we know. Most likely the manuals are there to fill in blanks the writers themselves are leaving vague in-story for the purposes of potential sequels and whatnot, unlikely though they be. Its always good to leave the door open, and not suffer threat of another Wing Gundam. "And Mobile Suits were never heard of again", and all that.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Kuruni

Amion wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:23 pm Nice as those manuals are, they aren't really official unless they're in anime, and we have no 100% guarantee info given by characters is totally irrefutably true.
Well, grey source is still better than random fan theory, isn't it? Yes, it's "grey" non-animate source and so doesn't set into stone (then again, nothing is set into stone since even white animate works can contradict each other), but right now it's the source with highest priority that we can get.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Amion

True, but highlights the fact that Bandai prefers we pick and choose what we like to believe. :)
Loop_Stratos

-I was wondering what McGillis did after that short attack, but the preview makes it clear...
-The ending. Out of the left field.

-Who's piloting the RX-0? It can't be Orga, right?
IMO

This is just a block of text. Move on.
Chris
Administrator

Amion wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:23 pm Nice as those manuals are, they aren't really official unless they're in anime, and we have no 100% guarantee info given by characters is totally irrefutably true. For all we know there was a LOT more complexity behind the Calamity War than what we know. Most likely the manuals are there to fill in blanks the writers themselves are leaving vague in-story for the purposes of potential sequels and whatnot, unlikely though they be. Its always good to leave the door open, and not suffer threat of another Wing Gundam. "And Mobile Suits were never heard of again", and all that.
I think you've being too dismissive. It's one thing to look questionably at manuals that are written years or decades after a series aired. However, we're talking about kit manuals that are contemporary to the show's release. It is certainly possible that they have input from staff or are at least following the series bible.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
jroy1117

I was about to come on here and say this show better not end like a Dukes of Hazzard episode, with the boys reaching safety just by crossing a magical country line from where the Sheriff can't get them, but then that ending happened.
I Want You for the War on: U.C. Puritans, Wing Jihadists, and Seed Zealots.

"Veni, vidi, Deus Vicit"
Kuruni

This episode.

Well, the death flag is around since last episode and it's only become more obvious in this one, but again the timing is unexpect. Still not shocking as Lafter.

Geez, I should have aware that Nobliss is involve in this.

Bael's blade dance is pretty cool, but Iok's luck is still plentiful.

They're digging Calamity War era tunnel...I am not only one who expect another MA for closing curtains, am I?
My girlfriend was a loli.
yazi88

Chris wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:47 am
Amion wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:23 pm Nice as those manuals are, they aren't really official unless they're in anime, and we have no 100% guarantee info given by characters is totally irrefutably true. For all we know there was a LOT more complexity behind the Calamity War than what we know. Most likely the manuals are there to fill in blanks the writers themselves are leaving vague in-story for the purposes of potential sequels and whatnot, unlikely though they be. Its always good to leave the door open, and not suffer threat of another Wing Gundam. "And Mobile Suits were never heard of again", and all that.
I think you've being too dismissive. It's one thing to look questionably at manuals that are written years or decades after a series aired. However, we're talking about kit manuals that are contemporary to the show's release. It is certainly possible that they have input from staff or are at least following the series bible.
Yeah, there is no reason to doubt the info from the manual of the model kits, its not like 20 or 30 years ago where different reference materials during and after shows contradicted each other. Within the past 2 decades, there is no reason to doubt info from the manuals of AU Gundam shows. They are there to supplement the show. Its the same with MSVs which are official material. Plus these kits are coming out as the show is airing and will continue to after the show is done, so there is some coordination from the writers on the lore of world in the info. We've read it so far and it matches.
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

And......I cried. And my heart hurts. And I am sad. And mad.

And I fully expect to go through this again next week.

Thanks IBO! :D
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
Amion

He lives. HE LIVES! Idiok Kujan cheats death again, with STYLE! Dear Lord, but don't know whether to root for him anymore, or to wish upon him a greater death. At least he was willing to throw his life away rather than let some nameless grunt take the Bael's swords. In a way, it's nice that he at least cares for his subordinates, and realizes that his stupidity is what caused their deaths. Even so... how come he survives while Orga does not?

Orga Itsuka, rest in peace. Your death really didn't phase me, honestly, I was already expecting imminent death from the second you took Mika's gun. Death flags are easy targets, you know.

As for the underground tunnel, I was cheering from the moment I heard about it. I'm just waiting for some Mobile Armor to be lying in wait for them, just begging for someone to activate a mobile suit or Ahab Wave near it. There is yet still hope for a Calamitous ending.

And... other than the obvious, this was an episode of ceaseless chatter. I wish we'd had more violence and less talk. But it sure as heck wasn't a shopping episode! Although it still ended exactly as we discussed being possible...

You know what? Am I the only one who thinks that maybe, just maybe, McMurdo is playing Rustal and is actually making a deal with McGillis? I doubt it now after this episode, but there's gotta be a bigger reason for him leaving Tekkadan for several hours or even a day than to purchase some new clothes.
yazi88

C'mon man, atleast use the spoiler tag atleast for a few days or maybe even till tomorrow after this ep has aired... its fixed now so you can use it.
Kyuzo Aoi

Part of me wants Iok to die to that episode, but sadly it will not happen.
Spoiler
Then Orga dying happened.
I am a Gundam!
BrentD15

If Iok doesn't die by the end of the series, I have a feeling that he will be suffering from the Greek curse:
"May you live forever." :mrgreen:
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
SonicSP

So what are the chances that McGillis was the one who orchestrated that attack? He's the only non-Tekkadan member that knew that Orga is even out there and he has command of some soldiers still.

And he was the one talking about Mika being without his own direction without Orga and tried to even "poach" him a little and make him think for himself. So he has some possible motive.

Certainly a Mika raging at Gjallahorn would be more useful to him than a Mika trying to run away to Earth.
Loop_Stratos wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:28 am-Who's piloting the RX-0? It can't be Orga, right?
Or could it? Dun Dun Dun O_o