The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Mecha Thread Mk III

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
ShadowCell

The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Mecha Thread Mk III

SonicSP wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:47 pm So I happened to be reading Mechanics and World, and went and translated some of the text in Page 85 about communications that caught my eye. Nothing truly groundbreaking but some small itty bitty stuff that would satisfy those who like the small details like myself.

====
LCS
So the book confirms that LCS stands for Laser Communication System. It's basically a short distance communication system and it works by using a light wavelength that is close to visible light, because visible light can't be easily disrupted by Ahab Waves. However due to its nature, if something gets in between us and the communication target, the line will disappear. It can be said to be akin to a yarn phone, and by using Ariadne, long range communication is possible.

Ariadne
Generic terms used for systems that allow interplanetary navigation or the name of the route itself (something like that). Each "cocoon" is equipped with an Ahab Reactor and they're akin to autonomous space floating lighthouses. They're place at around 1 million km intervals and an interlocking devices uses them as signposts. Because the cocoon is always generating a specific wavelength of the Ahab Wave, a ship traveling would always be able to sense the reaction and knows the specific location of the cocoon.

At the same time, each cocoon will also be able to sense the positioning of the neighboring cocoon from their Ahab Waves, and know their own coordinates. If there is deviation for some reason, it would be able to adjust its positioning using its Ahab Thrusters. In addition, by utilizing the mechanism that the cocoons use the relay their position, it can also be used as relay points for communications. Via cocoons, by using continuos/many short distance communications, long distance communications is possible. For communications between Earth and Mars, it requires around 15-20 minutes to do so (to setup I guess?). Ariadne is like a band arranged like an interplanetary river in the sky (milky way?, I'm not sure the Japanese term, kanji heredoesn't match my dictionary's kanjis for Milky Way), the whole band orbits the revolution orbit while expanding and contracting according to the position of the planet.

It was originally made with technology prior to the Calamity War, but the routes have decreased due to the battles of that event. After the war, it has been placed under the jurisdiction of Gjallahorn. It is currently being used by undergoing continuos repairs/maintanence. The route is available by paying a predetermined toll fee. By using the outer circumference route of Ariadne that was abandoned after the war, where Gjallahorn' survelence is limited, pirates and illegal merchant ships are able to use cocoons for navigation.
=====

Still doesn't elaborate how they can communicate at faster than light speed, but still cool details IMO.
Calubin_175

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Mecha Thread Mk IV

Iok's Graze looks to have a battle blade mounted on its backpack. I am not sure if the Reginlaze bayonet could be used as a handheld weapon.
SonicSP

If anybody sees any corrections needed or better interpretations, feel free to fix them. I'm not exactly the best around here at this.

Page 94 Top Half - IBO Mechanics and World

Ahab Reactors

Constructed on a plant near a fixed star, By transforming artificially generated vacuum elements, it creates enormous energy that can be used a the powerplant of mobile suits and battleship. It was invented by Ahab Balaena(?).

When a phase transition reaction occurs, there is a tendency for a gravitational field corresponding to the output is generated in the center of the reactor. That is, due to the phase transition of the vacuum element, it believed that Ahab Particles with the gravitational factors are generated.

The existence period of the Ahab Particles is really short, as the particles collapse shortly after the occurrence, splitting into elementary particles like neutrinos and muon particles, then it flies at its surroundings at ultra high speeds. This phenomenon is called Ahab Wave, and the influence extends to a maximum radius of tens of kilometers. For that reason, in the vicinity where the Ahab Reactor is operating, there is lots of interference with elementary particles, wireless communications and radar are rendered useless. Similarly guided weapons like missiles and remote control of drones is also impossible.

As it is constantly functioning, in standby mode almost no Ahab Waves are emitted. It is impossible to physically destroy, and due to this Reactors that we're made during the Calamity War are still active and functioning.

Each Ahab Reactor is a unique item and contains unique properties even when having the same structure. Particularly Ahab Waves where each possess its own natural frequencies and this is used to identify specific mobile suits.

Barbatos in hanger picture:
As there is limit to the miniaturization of the Ahab Reactor, naturally the size of mobile suits will be decided accordingly. Also, the size of the power source will determine the layout of the fuselage much like it is in cars, etc. In the case of mobile suits, the Ahab Reactor is usually placed at the center.

Ahab Reactor Graveyards picture:
Ahab Reactors that were wrecked during Calamity War, formed high density debris belts from the generated Ahab Particles. As the Ahab Reactors are still active it is still possible to use them, however recovery in the high density debris belt is very dangerous.

========

Comments:
- Wish there was more elaboration on why its physically indestructible. As it is they went "can't be physically destroyed full stop".
- Ditto for the construction in a plant near a star thing though I assume the capital requirements for doing so are pretty high as it is.
- More talking about the phase transition of vacuums hat was originally mentioned in the first HG Barbatos. That has to be about it closer into a true vacuum from the false vacuum theory right? That's some dangerous stuff they're playing around with despite how stable the reactors apparently are.
doghunter1

Has it been elaborated how beam weaponry works in Post Disaster? I mean, while we have Ahab Waves as our Minovsky Particles, is there an i-field stand in?
SonicSP

Page 94 Bottom Half IBO Mechanics and World

This part describes the differences between the Thermal Phase Transition and Ahab Thrusters.

========
Thermal Phase Transition Thrusters
Mobile suits' high powered propulsion system. By utilizing the ultra high heat generated within the Ahab Reactors, Thrust can be achieved by ejecting the heated and expanded hydrogen from the nozzle. Aside from mobile suits, these are also used as the main propulsion of a large ship. Since hydrogen is used as the catalyst of the propellant, a propellant tank is needed.

Ahab Thrusters
Thrusters that gains propulsion by discharging with direction some of the elementary particles that constitutes the Ahab Waves that occurs during the collapse of the Ahab Particles. Although it is not possible to obtain a higher output than the thermal phase transition thrusters, it is very energy efficient and doesn't require propellants. It is mainly used for inertial flight in space and attitude control.

Ahab Particles
Particles produced within the reactor. It is also used as anti-G system in mobile suits and as a pseudo gravity generator in ships. Particles are harmless to the human body. When the vacuum undergoes phase transition, gravitons generated with energy. It's period of existence is really short, as it collapses in less than one millionth of a second after its occurrence and then it changes into elementary particles like neutrinos, mu particles, etc and diffuses as an Ahab Wave.

As it is a particle that exists only in the core of the Ahab Reactor, decrease or increase of the gravity generated can be done based on the reactor output. However for the small reactors in mobile suits, it is a level that is not noticeable. Within a spacecraft carrying a large reactor, the shipboard environment can be arranged by controlling direction of the microgravity inside the ship by circulating the liquid metal inside the reactor containing the Ahab Particles around/within(?) the ship.

Ahab Wave
When the Ahab Particles collapses into a myriad of elementary particles, a type of magnetic storm is then generated during the scattering (of these particles). Radio communication and radar equipment are disrupted under the influence of wave and it becomes difficult to use. It is also one of the reasons why melee combat by mobile suits at visible distance is the subject of battle.

Because of this influence, bringing in Ahab Reactors into urban areas is prohibited. The mobile suit battle in Edmonton City was inherently illegal. Normally, the detector displays the numerical values in color or the like. Among the crew members of spacecrafts, It is said to be like a wave of the sea: high, low, calm, etc. Although nearly all of these spacefarers have never seen the seas of the Earth.
========
doghunter1 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:00 pm Has it been elaborated how beam weaponry works in Post Disaster? I mean, while we have Ahab Waves as our Minovsky Particles, is there an i-field stand in?
Not to my knowledge. IBO Mechanics and World is a Season 1 sourcebook so there's no Season 2 stuff in there. There's likely going to be a Season 2 equivalent though.

No I-Field stand in to my knowledge. The closest might be the gravitational fields that helps power the Nanolaminated Armor.
Amion

I could easily see gravity fields containing or compressing a bunch of particles or whatever glowing pink death is supposed to constitute. It could also be possible GPD is oh so beamable and that no containment is necessary, as launching itself in a directed line is just its natural tendency.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
yazi88

Is there any info about the Gusion Full City's space booster pack and weapons? It seemed to be semi-transformable and reminded me a lot of the Re-Gz's BWS pack. Given it had more mobility I don't know why Tekkadan didn't use it aside from that one time.
SonicSP

From Page 95 IBO Mechanics and World

Limbs

Even if you swing the manipulator at full output of the Ahab Reactor while gripping a weapon, it is still strong enough not to be damaged. In addition, the mobile suits' limbs can also be used as melee weapons themselves.

How MS Fights

The most effective tactics in MS battles are direct blows by close combat weapons. The output by the Ahab Reactor is transmitted to the weapons via the MS' limbs, and this allows it to swing down at maximum power. Because guided weapons are rendered useless by Ahab Waves, in addition to Nanolaminate Armor, the result is a situation where shooting weapons are unable to cause fatal damage.

Firearms are mainly used for supressive fire as MS cannot be destroyed directly. That being said, close range shots from a smoothbore gun or a bazooka can have close to the power of melee attack and as such, some damage can be expected.

As the MS Frame is very tough. Since it is physically impossible to destroy the Ahab Reactor, the best way to efficiently disable enemy MS in battle is to aim for the cockpit. One of the known tactics for penetrating cockpits used in actual battles is to go through the gaps of the armor, particularly for armored cockpits. That being said, it is difficult to damage the Ahab Reactor or Frame due to the MS' tough structure.

As this method of battle is key, In most cases destroyed MS are only damaged at the cockpit. Because of that, most of the remaining parts would still function without problems. After battles, the remains of the enemy MS are usually gathered and sold through illegal channels.

Melee Weapons
Heavier and more powerful weapons are more advantageous, though too heavy and it would be too slow. Thus, balance between power and weight is important. Long sword (tachi), sword (ken), and mace, etc are inferior to power to axe. It might also be necessary to pintpoint the attack between the gaps of the armor, and depending on the type of sword and skill of the pilot, it may even be possible to even break the frame of the MS.

Long Sword (tachi)
Sword (ken)
Mace
Hammer
Axe
Spear

Firearms
It is possible to fatally damage MS via firearms (??? Yeah I'm not so sure I'm getting this right), different type of firearms also be used based on the operational needs. Under the circumstances of the Ahab Waves, it is thought that accuracy is not so important. If the purpose is suppressive fire, weapons with high firing rates like such as rifles and machine guns are used. On the other hand for focus on power, things like bazookas and smoothbore guns are used. Since accuracy is low anyways, shooting at close distance is the best way to cause damage. Smaller caliber firearms are also used by mobile workers and personnels.

Rifle
Machine Gun
Bazooka
Smoothbore Gun

==============
yazi88 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:34 pm Is there any info about the Gusion Full City's space booster pack and weapons? It seemed to be semi-transformable and reminded me a lot of the Re-Gz's BWS pack. Given it had more mobility I don't know why Tekkadan didn't use it aside from that one time.
Outside of the info from the HG, I can't think of a place that mentions it. The IBO Mechanics and World book only covers Season 1, though I presume there's going to be a Season 2 version of this book much like what they did for 00. There might be info there perhaps.

Pure speculation on my part, but if an equipment part has high mobility but is not used often, it might be down to fuel efficiency. That means it's not going to be useful in all situations despite the high stat.

One example of this are machines like the Brewers Gusion. It had high attack, high defense and high mobility but it's high mass kills its fuel efficiency which means it's operation time is ridiculously low. However since surprise quick raids are Brewers MO, that type of setup is perfect for them and their situation.
yazi88

It might've been a field upgrade for fast deployment to help the Turbines, that like you said is more useful in hit and run tactics. Not for fleet defense during the battle against Rustal's fleet. But I guess we'll find out more in future materials. Not to mention a kit release of it too, probably the main reason it was made, to sell more kits. :D

I've also noticed another tactic to destroying or heavily damaging mobile suits with firearms, aiming for the thrusters or the weapons, because they aren't protected by Nano-laminate armor like McGillis said in season 1 in his brief battle with Mika above Mars. During the Earth re-entry battle against Carta's forces and against Gasley's forces, we've seen times if you hit the thrusters or the guns held in the enemy MS hands, they explode, causing a chain reaction to heavily damage or destroy a suit/MS limbs. Especially the thrusters.
SonicSP

Actually, the thrusters are protected by Nanolaminated Armor in the McGillis above Mars example, or rather Barbatos' were.

McGillis's explanation wasn't that the thrusters didn't have protection but rather that Mika doesn't work to protect them, hence any shots that were headed there wouldn't be protected or evaded.

With the Alaya-Vijnana System, Mika fights with Barbatos as if he was a human being rather than relying on evasion programs. For that reason he doesn't work to protect what his real body doesn't have despite being really good at protecting his human parts. Because of this, he doesn't avoid any shots to the backpack thrusters because his human self doesn't have any, its just not natural to him. Because Mika doesn't avoid them, the cumulative shots slowly chip the Nanolaminate Armor.

McGillis observations of the worn out Nanolaminate Armor at the thruster section confirms his theory and he proceeds to attack it as it was Mika's blind spot.

That being said, going for propellant tanks is a strategy we seen a few times. During the Dort Incident, a Graze did this to a Spinner Rodi. And prior to landing on Earth Barbartos shot a Graze Ritter and it somehow exploded.

The effectiveness of attacking weapons depends on targeted weapon type. Shooting bazookas and expoding them can do things like take out an arm, which is what Barbatos did to a Graze during the Dort battle in Episode 17. Things like normal guns though will have a smaller blowback effect on the user mobile suit.
yazi88

Ah, thank you, I forgot about the type of weapon used will determine the damage output too along with distance.

I think when Barbatos made a Graze Ritter explode in space, it might've been from its mortar rounds it was using from the 5th space form.
SonicSP

From Page 92 IBO Mechanics and World

Armor - Nanolaminate Armor
Special armor adopted for MS and ships. It is a special metallic paint reacting to the Ahab Particles emitted by the Ahab Reactor which are vacuum deposited (note: complex atom painting - thanks Wikipedia) on the surface of the MS or battleship.

The metallic paint is affected by the gravity field that is generated, thereby forming a multi-layered molecular arrangement that is suitable for external impact. Due to its properties, the energy bearing molecules can absorb the impact from live ammunition and explosive charges.

At first glance it looks like the armor is hard, but in principle it's like a very thin cushion with several layers. However, as the paint is deposited on the armor's surface, damage and and peeling can be caused by impacts during battle. When that happens, it is necessary to reapply new metallic paint on the damaged part.

While usually it is vacuum deposited as armor paint on the surface of the fuselage, by spraying its powdered form around Ahab Reactor-equipped MS and battleships ["Nanomirror Chaff"], it is possible to interfere with laser communication and optical detection.

Different colors are priced differently. More practical colors like purple, blue and green are more expensive while conversely, colors like white and such are cheap. Prices are determined mainly due to visibility on the battlefield, and there is almost no performance difference between colors.

Kimaris Picture Caption:
Gundam Kimaris has long been kept by the Baudoin family. It is a fuselage that leaves the looks/face/facade of 300 years ago intact. Is the most expensive purple color used due to it being a Seven Star machine? (Note: This is going to add more elements to the Kimaris original look debate)

Barbatos Picture Caption:
Gundam Barbatos is painted in inexpensive white colors. It is not clear whether this color was from the Calamity War or whether it was painted by CGS President Aklay.

Cockpit
The cockpit is affixed to part of the chest of the MS. This is basically so it would be placed in the front of the Ahab Reactor. By using the Ahab Particles for inertial control, the strain on the pilot can be reduced during operation.

Graze Cockpit Caption:
Alaya-Vijnana System is not compatable with the Graze cockpit. The control system and structure are simplified and easy to adapt.

=========
- Seems that Nano Mirror Chaff is really just Nanolaminate Armor but in powder form. Didn't expect them to be related. Also it seems that the Ahab Waves from the surrounding targets is needed to even get them to activate.

- Seems that the gravity field generated by the Ahab Reactors is also an important part on why the armor is so powerful. The armor itself has high energy molecules which makes it good at absorbing attack. I'm hoping the S2 version of this book would go on to explain why they are so beam resistance to as well as to what is the beam makeup.

- Interesring bit on Barbatos' color scheme, I never once thought that Maruba may have had it painted as opposed to it being its original color.
E08

1/100 Gundam Bael manual scans: 1, 2

-New profile for McGillis Fareed, a bit spoilerish?
-MS profile has more about Agnika Kaieru's deeds.
-New profile for thruster wings, but not informative...
SonicSP

Seems that the 1/100 repeats the Rare MS Frame materials are used for the swords, instead of the lost technology metal. Not surprising since it's parroting it, but I guess that strengthens that idea further.
Calubin_175

Ebikawa Twitter names the new Graze as EB-06q Graze Schild (German for shield).

Iok's one is just a Mars Graze with the sword backpack.
domino

Has anything been announced about Julieta getting a replacement mobile suit or will her Reginlaze Julia be repaired/retrofitted? I'm obviously curious if she will be piloting a repaired Flaurios
yazi88

A repaired Flauros will take a LOT of time to get repair much less retrofitted. Because it was heavily damaged even up to the inner frame. If its been a couple of weeks since the space fleet battle then its possible. And it might be a bit faster if Vidar's spare parts are applied, given all Gundam frames are the same internally. Its the outer armor/equipment that make the Gundams different. That and the lack of the AV system on Julietta can only go so far compared to a AV piloted Gundam.
Dark Duel

Between the massive external damage to the Flauros's body and armor and the fact that in order for Julietta to use it would also require a refit of its cockpit block and control systems to remove the AV System, I think we've seen the last of it. It seems far likelier to me that the Reginlaze J would be repaired, because it's much more likely that they would have available spare parts, the base unit itself is comparatively far less damaged, and it doesn't require any work for her to be able to use it.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
domino

Fair points but there's also been sometime that's passed - as evidenced by the return to Mars from Earth and Rustal was still on his way catching up to them.

If Flaurios won't be repaired then what was the "new" mecha/Gundam silhouette teased a few weeks ago?
SonicSP

Could be the other new Gundam, a new one from the "opened vault". Might even be Rustal's though not necessarily piloted by him.