The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk III

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
SonicSP

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk III

It would probabaly happen in the battle after the current one. Assuming it hasn't served its purpose as P-Bandai bait and they remember it.
domino

Sad episode followed by sad episode....though this is more about the aftermath

I'm impressed and angry with Julietta. After not being able to achieve much for the entire second season, she's suddenly able to go one-on-one with Mika for extended periods of time. It certainly didn't look like Mika was holding back either.

There were a lot of clues that Julietta will be getting the damaged Flaurios now that her Reginlaze has been totalled. Since she's ruled out getting the AV surgery, it's likely that only a mobile suit upgrade can help her become a better tool for Rustal while maintaining her humanity.

Mika blames himself for the failure of the last mission. I wonder how this will affect his battle style next time - especially now that they're being cornered.

There are only a few episodes left and unless Teiwaz (or some other unlikely ally) comes to save Tekkadan, things are looking grim.....
Shinji_Shinigami

Oh man, it has been a long time since a Gundam Show, or any show at all (that i have seen), had such a grim and emmotional end stadium, for all i can remember. I do not like the odds, Tekkadan and McGillis are facing. I fear that Rustal is just one step ahead of any of them. Jullietta will most likely be cyborified, though i wonder how much her survival chances would have been anyway, since she was not looking good at all. I hope not, that they will abuse the Flauros and fuse it with her Reginlaze or anything. Though i suppose it will send Mika in a flying Rage. I still wonder how high the death count will be till the end. I mean, this time it was not as emotional as last time, since the Character was kinda blank and the Mobile Suit has actually never been utilized to its fullest. I mean the Grimgarde had to less screentime and the Helmwigge was just somewhat ....there. Still i wonder what kind end this show will have. I bet it ends with a bang.
domino

Julietta will only be borg-ified if it's necessary for her survival. She's said twice that she wants to remain human and prove her worth to Rustal that way.

I'm disappointed that Mika didn't make sure she was dead...like he usually does with enemies. Julietta is getting plot armour from Idiok.

McGillis had a VERY close call with death at the hands of Gaelio. I'm surprised that he seems completely unfazed. Will he see his resolve finally shake now that his "backup" plan of the Mars fleet has crumbled?
Amion

It sounds like Galileo knows what McGillis is planning. At this stage it could well be he doesn't have an end goal in mind at all, but plans to just cause as much damage as possible, or something. He has to enter CCA mode eventually, although he's avoided the typical Char Clone stuff thus far with nary a scratch. Would be nice if he stays more his own character to the end.

I still hope for the Angels to return at an unexpected moment. Here's to hoping there really are four more episodes, and not two. That would give room for some wriggle room.

As for Rustal, it's now clear this was his ultimate plan. He made a deal with Teiwaz, something that had me wondering. Now we know why: he planned to finish McGillis off at Mars. Such cunning! I now respect him more as a strategist. He truly does know how to be a real snake, just like his family's crest.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
SonicSP

I don't know why but this episode made me feel like McGillis and Tekkadan are going to win this. I can't think of a strategy as does looks grim for them from an absolute perspective, just that there's something about this episode that makes me feel like the writing will go in that direction in the next few episodes despite their continuing setbacks. But there is a feeling of the air changing here, like that phase of the final arc where the protagonists are in trouble, but something will go in their favor that will turn the tables around.

That doesn't mean it won't come at a huge cost though.
Amion

I personally favor Tekkadan to win big in the end, or at least there be a relatively happy ending for our heroes. It's rare for a story to end with the villains having complete victory. Perhaps I'll get my wish and Kudelia will prove at least partially relevant.
domino

Well, if we look at the average of the endings of most UC series, the "victory" often comes at an extremely high cost. While everyone may think about Z Gundam, we ought to remember that V Gundam and 0083 also followed this trend.

The recent decisive victories of Gundam 00 and Gundam SEED are quite against the trend imo.
Amion

Now, now, SEED had a body count as high as V. Or was it Zeta? A large number drop dead before the Final Phase.
SNT1

^SEED has had a fairly high body count in the end. Raww, Fllay, Astray girls, Druggies.

Anyways.

+BLR vs Julia, pt.2. I realized Mika, if he really wanted to, can just plow her mercilessly. But we have a chronic problem in this series in not going for the proverbial double tap it seems...

+Since Julietta seem to have ruled AV out, I wonder how she would grow in the last handful of episodes we've got left. It's sad how she was introduced as a somewhat weird, butterfly-eating prodigy that had some potential then turns into a Diet Ein with all L's in her record book. Her ranting was even similar to Ein to the point that Mika says the same thing along the lines of "STFU." Granted, she saved Rustal, but still...

+Bael vs Kimaris. That was a good fight, but I couldn't help but realize that Bael is fairly... standard for what it's supposed to be. And yes, throughout the fight it seemed like Kimaris had the very slight upper hand, and with the trick gimmicks it had, almost had McGillis. I like the dialogue in this fight, and how Gaelio's hypocritical, but that doesn't seem to faze him. RIP Isurugi. And I would call the score 1-1 between McGillis and Gaelio

+Rustal, that mofo another two steps ahead. So who's strings did he pull this time to get Gjallahorn's Mars branch as well? I guess McGillis's faction is pretty much all alone in this? (Wouldn't make sense not to; I bet piloting Bael/Agnika/super leader of Gjallahorn thing, while true 300 years ago, was a different time and no one literally believed that piloting Bael makes you the super leader. LOL)

+Seems like McGillis himself, if he really is ousted from Gjallahorn, will be among the "Iron Blooded Orphans' as well. I think with the shituation that they are now, it's not really looking there will be no betraying between Tekkadan and McGillis at this point.

Going back to the Flauros and what people are speculating above, if Arianhod recovers Flauros then do we have a 2v2 Gundam battle with BLR vs Flauros and Bael vs Kimaris? Would watch. I wonder how it would end though, since they are clearly, vastly out numbered. Maybe Bael has a secret system like taming MA's or something that could somehow even the tide. Or just Mika red-eyeing the entire Arianhod to oblivion? Who knows. I;m excited to see how this resolves.
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
domino

Amion wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:04 pm Now, now, SEED had a body count as high as V. Or was it Zeta? A large number drop dead before the Final Phase.
The SEED body count was mostly filled with characters that we hardly missed. Except Mwu...but Destiny changed that.

Meanwhile, in V Gundam the entire Shrike team and much of League Militaire was destroyed/killed. In 0080, the Feddies beat back the invading Zeons but we all know the emotional turmoil behind-the-scenes. In 0083, besides that series' own emotional drama, the Albion and its crew were nearly court-martialed and even though Captain Synapse took the bullet (literally?), the crew was still forced to join Titans or revert to testing grounds.

Likewise, I suspect that even if Orga does successfully find a warm home for Tekkadan, he will have to reconcile the many losses they suffered along the way to get there....or even those they will continue to suffer.
Amion

Bodies are bodies. It doesn't matter if a character is liked or not, it still counts in the tally, as popularity is subjective to the viewer. I happened to not give one whiff for most of the LM, and considering the Shrikes dropped like flies throughout the story, I only really felt myself sorry to see Odelo and Maria go. And techincally Katejina, though she undeservedly cheats death in return for blindness and poverty.

For IBO, we so far have gotten only Shino as a character worth lamenting, and I really don't care about him at all. He never grew out of his stereotype to invest in, for me. As for Lizawhoever, he wasn't around long enough for me to learn his name, and his posthumous mention in my post doesn't warrant a google search.

Hmm... about Bael, hah! Pathetic! Worthless! I don't care if the pilot almost had Galileo there for a sec before he hesitated and almost got literally SCREWED, the Bael will never be the equal to my beloved Kimaris Vidar. Ah, even typing its name is a pleasure! *obsessive compulsive laughter* May its mighty drill lance and mini-'sleifs put an end to the serial betrayer!

I for one am amazed at the hate for Julietta. She took a blow from the mighty Mace Lance and yet managed to get back up and keep fighting. She's a good pilot, a great one, to keep up with Mika despite the lack of AV. The ascension to Gundam Pilot will hopefully allow her to give Greeneyes Rex a run for its money.

Speaking of, I'm pretty sure Redeyes Rex will be soon born anew, this time suffused entirely with Mika's consciousness. I just don't see him not going full power, and he probably will do it from the start when he sees the Flauros.

ooh... I love the Reganlaze Julia, and I always loved the Flauros itself... if she really does get her hands on it... ah, mechasm. Green and steel colored Flauros Julius, here we come. It will be like a match made in heaven, two of my favorite machines combined into one. They'd better do it, for no other reason than to make one more model kit they know will sell.
Kuruni

Hush noted that Atra seem to be changed though not exactly how.I bet she's already conceive.

From the preview, look like they will manage to land on Mars anyway, likely thank to Kudelia.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Wingzero00

Kuruni wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:43 pm Hush noted that Atra seem to be changed though not exactly how.I bet she's already conceive.

From the preview, look like they will manage to land on Mars anyway, likely thank to Kudelia.
Long time lurker, small time poster. But I was literally just about to point out about Hush saying that Atra seems different. Baby on the way?
domino

Amion wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:33 pm Bodies are bodies. It doesn't matter if a character is liked or not, it still counts in the tally, as popularity is subjective to the viewer. I happened to not give one whiff for most of the LM, and considering the Shrikes dropped like flies throughout the story, I only really felt myself sorry to see Odelo and Maria go. And techincally Katejina, though she undeservedly cheats death in return for blindness and poverty.
I'm not sure how or why you and others have taken "victory coming at an extremely high cost" to mean that the body count was high.

I tried to explain it before but suffice to say, whether or not the body count is high, if the victory comes at an extremely high cost then the victors will wonder if they've truly won. As another example, in Gundam 0079, the losses for the Feddies were indeed high but that was a decisive victory. Zeon was defeated and the Zabi empire was gone while the Federation forces were depleted but could continue fighting (and they did at Pezun and chasing remnant groups). Only the extremely troublesome Zeon remnants remained and continued to cause trouble. However in V Gundam and Z Gundam, the enemy was defeated but the 'victors' were unable to continue fighting and were in a worst position than they were when they became involved in the war.

Anyway, I'm just assuming that IBO will remain grim and get worst. This does not necessarily mean that the body count will rise astronomically. It could be something like Tekkadan losing even Mars as a place to return to - forced to become space pirates as they are labelled as allies of the traitor McGillis. That would make Orga's promises hollow and doom them to have never escaped their fate as 'human debris' which has been their mission all along. If this happens, it will be an empty victory even if they kill all of those currently opposing them
yazi88

Its not too often you see in Gundam as of lately that the Protagonist's side is losing really really badly like this and we still have around 4 eps left. Considering Tekkdan's forces consisted of 2 ships at which the Hotarabi was also the carrier for their mobile suits, it cut their firepower and manpower a lot with its loss. Usually the kill fest is in the last 2 eps especially considering one is a Gundam pilot in the case of Shino. Usually we see the protagonist side do well before the final battle and then suffer losses but still win in the end. I'm assuming most of their Shiden units were also lost. And they can't carry or repair them in the Isarabi because of the 3 Rodi's and Akihiro's Gundam. It can only hold so much suits at once compared to the Hotarabi.

In the case of Victory, barely anyone survived (both allies and enemies) aside from Usso's team on the White Ark and the people that abandoned ship on the Reinforce Jr.

In the TV version of Zeta, the AEUG got hit really bad by the Psycho Gundam MK II which decimated a lot of the AEUG fleet. In the retelling movie version, a lot more AEUG forces survived because it was not present as well as other factors.
Amion

domino wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:22 am I'm not sure how or why you and others have taken "victory coming at an extremely high cost" to mean that the body count was high.
I was actually referring to SEED in how it still had a high body count in the end, despite it being mostly characters you didn't miss. I for one did miss Rau, Natarle and Mwu, ignoring Destiny, where everyone survives death. :cry:

Huh, I don't recall the Psycho Gundam mkII getting any AEUG kills of significant value. It just sort of pops up, fires some beams randomly, and gets shot down. The real losses were from the AEUG using its own ships as bait to lure the Titans into the firing zone of Gryps, giving the impression it was not yet able to fire or couldn't. The Argama ended up being the only ship to make it out alive, and then only a shadow of itself, considering most of its crew seem to vanish in ZZ.

No new thread? We're marching steadily over the 30 threshhold. :?
phillosmaster

Wingzero00 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:46 am
Kuruni wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:43 pm Hush noted that Atra seem to be changed though not exactly how.I bet she's already conceive.

Long time lurker, small time poster. But I was literally just about to point out about Hush saying that Atra seems different. Baby on the way?
That was the first thing that came to my mind as well. I hope we get some sort of reasonably happy ending for Atra.

I don't know how this is going to end, but it is certainly looking like they are setting us up for a high body count if we are getting these deaths now. I'm not sure I can see a clear path narratively for a real happy ending for the IBO boys. The first season felt like Tekkadan's rise. This whole second season so far has felt like we've been watching Tekkadan's fall spread out throughout the whole season. We just keep seeing their position get weaker until we finally got to this very desperate gamble.

It's weird that Mcgillis doesn't seem worried. I mean it certainly seems like nothing has gone his way since he stole the Bael.
Even as we speak, the stealth bombers of the Brotherhood of Dada are swooping silently overhead. They’re using stealth bombs which level whole cities without even the slightest trace of noise or damage. Nothing remains of the world you knew and still you stand in the ruins, acting as if nothing has changed.
yazi88

If you think about it, in this season so far, Tekkadan has been on the losing side, they lost their Earth Branch even though they beat Galan, they lost their place in Teiwaz along with the Turbines, and now they lost their 3rd best pilot and carrier ship.

The only couple of times they actually won was with Dawn Horizon Corps and the Hashmel Mobile Armor, they benefited from both victories. But in the other skirmishes/battles that I listed above, they lost more than they won.

Like I said in a previous post, in recent memory for Gundam, I have not seen the Protagonist side lose more in a season then what they won with Tekkadan. They won a LOT in season 1, but season 2 very little.
SNT1

yazi88 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:49 pm If you think about it, in this season so far, Tekkadan has been on the losing side, they lost their Earth Branch even though they beat Galan, they lost their place in Teiwaz along with the Turbines, and now they lost their 3rd best pilot and carrier ship.

The only couple of times they actually won was with Dawn Horizon Corps and the Hashmel Mobile Armor, they benefited from both victories. But in the other skirmishes/battles that I listed above, they lost more than they won.

Like I said in a previous post, in recent memory for Gundam, I have not seen the Protagonist side lose more in a season then what they won with Tekkadan. They won a LOT in season 1, but season 2 very little.
I guess the "throw Barbatos at it" as your main tactics for all the things that worked so well in S1 can't get Tekkadan far now that they play in the big leagues.

Despite all that, I think Mika/Barbatos still holds an undefeated record with one no-contest (vs Vidar) if we look at pure MS contests.
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/