Turn A Gundam and Gundam X

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
riva

Turn A Gundam and Gundam X

First, I think that Gundam X may be in my top 3 favorite Gundam list. It's too bad it wasn't finished properly.

Anyway, after watching Turn A, I couldn't help but think that many of the ideas that were trying be to developed in Gundam X were used in Turn A as main aspects of the story. At times, at least to me, Turn A feels like Gundam X 2.0, or a reboot of sorts. I am curious to know if someone more informed than myself could shed some light on whether or not this was intended or is already well known information.

I searched the forums a bit and couldn't find any talk about this, but if there already was then I'll remove this post.
PowerdGNFlag

Re: Turn A Gundam and Gundam X

It would help a lot if you can give us an idea of which similarities you saw between the two.
Well, I guess I'm a nobody...
riva

Sorry, I didn't want to start into it in case it was already discussed elsewhere.

Obviously there are many parallels between the two as with most Gundam shows. Young Protagonist gets a Gundam and fights to save the world. However, these two stories take place almost exclusively on Earth after catastrophic events. Obviously in Turn A, the time span is greater between the start of the story and the great conflict of the past.

Both stories use reclaimed mobile suits from the previous time of conflict. Both protagonist's Gundams have the ability to use a world ending weapon.

The two biggest similarities for me are:

-Both stories ultimately lead to the warring factions seeking some sort of enlightenment through an all knowing room on the moon. DOME in X and the records of the dark history in Turn A.

-Both the Frost Brothers and Gym Ghingham manipulate their way to cause a war because they wanted to start civilization over in their own image.

Also, both the Frost Bros. and Gym continue to wage war after the moon room enlightenment leading to their ultimate doom.

Maybe I'm stretching some of this, but after getting to the final episodes of Turn A I couldn't help but feel like it was a more fleshed out version of Gundam X.

Go easy on me.
Chris
Administrator

I think you're reaching and that these two shows are no more connected than any other two Gundam shows. They were produced three years apart and with different staff, and Tomino doesn't strike me as the type to develop the ideas of someone else playing in the sandbox he created. If any series developed unused ideas, it's more likely that it's Victory Gundam using things that might've been intended for F91.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
yazi88

Yeah. A LOT of Gundam series have similar elements with characters and plotlines that seem similar on the surface but at times executed differently. Frost Bros and Gym are villians who have their own agendas which we have seen plenty of times in Gundam already.