I'm Making a Mecha Game

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
Araziel

I'm Making a Mecha Game

Hi Guys

I'm Araziel and I'm currently getting art assets created for a Mecha computer game, once the initial artwork is completed I'll be sending them into a 3D artist to turn them into models.

Key Design Points:

Mecha customization: Interchangeable parts include the Head, Torso, Arms, legs and Back Modules & weapons.

Three faction styles: there will be three factions within the game, each with their own unique look and feel, which will come out through their Mecha designs.

Pilot skill: Like sandbox games (eg skyrim) I want the skill of the pilot to determine equipment performance, not the other way around like in RPG titles, where the stats of the equipment make you better. It is my hope that this will put an emphasis on players using the equipment they enjoy and being rewarded for it, instead of constant search for an item with better stats. (For example a player may use rifles a lot in the game, thus he gains more skill with them, improving the performance he gets out of the weapon.)

Two main sources of inspiration are:

Metal Fatigue PC game
Gundam Seed anime

However, thus far the project has no fixed gaming genre to call it's own, and with Virtual Reality seeing more growth over the next few years, I'm unsure of how to proceed.

Stick with tried and true technology, or go all in on something different and risky?

I thought it was high time I came to the Mecha community and got some feedback, instead of sitting in an echo chamber.

P.s: this is mostly a mechanical discussion, things such as the story and in game themes are not much of a concern just yet, my focus is design and game play flow.
domino

Re: I'm Making a Mecha Game

Thanks for announcing! Will this be primarily a fighting game or will it also have mission modes?

Tried and true could follow the gameplay of previous popular games like ATC RayCrash which was 2.5D as seen here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTFhxF3c-Dw

The customization options and dependence on skills rather than items definitely sounds exciting!

It sounds like you're taking some inspiration from Gundam Breaker as well....given the customization options.

Which platform(s) are you considering for release?
Araziel

The primary target platform is the PC

Unfortunately I never got the chance to play Raycrash, desperately wanted to, but by the time I had a capable rig, the game was dead, I heavily enjoyed Exteel though.

Haven't seen Gundam Breaker, think more along the lines of Gundam Build Fighters for customization.

I could see both fight and mission modes, albeit it's not that big a concern outside of core game play flow, user interface and what a player is doing every 30 seconds.
Outlaw

I would avoid focusing too much on shooting for VR. While it's being touted and talked about in industry circles, it hasn't gotten nearly as much traction as the hype might suggest. Also, for a small, presumably, inexperienced developer it's best to focus on the small stuff and get it right.
The youtube channel Extra Credits has a good video, if you haven't checked them out yet.
"“As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another."