The Official Gundam Unicorn Re: 0096 Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Deacon Blues

The Official Gundam Unicorn Re: 0096 Anime Thread Mk I

New Website Layout and Key Visual

The website officially goes online with some new tidbits regarding the televised version of Gundam Unicorn. They're billing it as a "new chapter" of the story.

Opening Theme:
"Into the Sky" by SawanoHiroyuki[nZk]:Tielle

Ending Theme:
"Next 2 U-eUC" by SawanoHiroyuki[nZk]:naNami

So far it looks like the same cast is still on this (not that there would be any major changes). It seems that they're aiming this at children... oddly enough. It will air on Nagoya TV at 7am every Sunday so the little kiddies can view it.

Both the OP/ED and 2nd ED will ship on June 29th, according to Sawano's blog (and Sony Music Japan). He also says that the show will run for two cour.
Powerman293

Re: Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn Re: 0096

According to the the composer's site the show will run for 2 cours, or around 26 episodes.

http://www.aimer-web.jp/topics.html?464821

I was very skeptical at first when Sunrise said there'll be new footage, as I doubted it would be anything significant. But then Tom Aznable convinced me via twitter that with 26 episodes, they could get to stuff like Full Frontal's creator, the Sinanju hijacking flashback, e.t.c.

But that would be pretty sucky though for those who bought the OVAs, as they would just have gotten half or 2/3rds of a show. Which is what makes me doubt it'll be any significant additions. But they couldn't just fill up 26 episodes by insanely expanding what they already have. UGH!

The rebroadcast being nothing or having substantial new content is tearing me apart right now, and I feel like I won't get an answer until we're all suckered in to watching it.
zetatype

Well ZOINKS me silly the rumors actually turned out to be true.

I love the Unicorn OVA series so I have no problem with this although I am really curious about how much more money Sunrise thinks it can get out of Unicorn with this TV version. TBH it feels too soon to be re-releasing Unicorn even with the new animation.
Deacon Blues wrote: So far it looks like the same cast is still on this (not that there would be any major changes). It seems that they're aiming this at children... oddly enough. It will air on Nagoya TV at 7am every Sunday so the little kiddies can view it.
Children? As in viewers who have most likely never seen the stuff before Unicorn and will most likely be confused. Unicorn isn't exactly the best place to jump into the UC.

Two cour sounds about right. The OVA is about 20 episodes long (without OPs/ EDs) so It'll be interesting to see how they fill in the additional 4-6 episodes worth of content.
ShadowCell

Deacon Blues wrote:It seems that they're aiming this at children... oddly enough. It will air on Nagoya TV at 7am every Sunday so the little kiddies can view it.
well golly gee whiz are they gonna be surprised when they get to Marida's backstory
yazi88

Let's be a little careful... this might be a repeat of what happened when the BREAK BLADE movies were turned into a TV anime... a couple of extensions and edits but nothing really groundbreaking...

Although this might be a good way to alter some of the not so good stuff that occur in ep 4 of Unicorn...
Xenosynth

Tbh they have to be adding quite a bit of material:
The OVAs are about 436 minutes give or take.

An average show is about 24ish minutes. If we take away opening/ending, eyecatches, and episode previews, lets do a low count of 20 minutes of action per episode, which, we'll say at 2 cours is 26: that's still 520 minutes of action.

So they'd need roughly 90 minutes of new raw material, give or take again since we are working with approximations, that's still an entire OVA (Not counting episode 7's long run time) and a half worth of material they'd need to add in.
balofo

I believed!

Now we wait for the new gunpla besides de RG Unicorn and its milking, if there will be any.

I really doubt they will add the real Dakar battle and the L1 Junction parts.

BTW now the MS section has large HQ mech lineart! http://www.gundam-unicorn.net/tv/ms/img/02.png
zetatype

Xenosynth wrote:Tbh they have to be adding quite a bit of material:
The OVAs are about 436 minutes give or take.

An average show is about 24ish minutes. If we take away opening/ending, eyecatches, and episode previews, lets do a low count of 20 minutes of action per episode, which, we'll say at 2 cours is 26: that's still 520 minutes of action.

So they'd need roughly 90 minutes of new raw material, give or take again since we are working with approximations, that's still an entire OVA (Not counting episode 7's long run time) and a half worth of material they'd need to add in.
Assuming Sunrise doesn't cheap out on the episode count and abuse the recap segments.
zetatype

So after browsing around it seems that there may be a reason for the Unicorn TV series other than "milking the series".

The show currently holding the timeslot that Unicorn will run on is another show by Sunrise called Brave Beats. The show was originally supposed to fill in the timeslot for both Spring and Summer 2016, but is going to be cancelled before the start of the Spring season.

The spectualtion is that either Sunrise really wants to keep this time slot or they are contractually obligated to fill in the timeslot for both Spring and Summer. Either way, Sunrise needed a show to quickly fill in for Brave Beats and decided that Unicorn would be the best bet.

This would definitely explain the bizarre timeslot.
Gelgoog Jager

I hope they redo most of the battle sin the series: most of the time they seemed quite one-sided.

Also, it was weird seeing how during OVAs 5 and 6 suddenly everyone is taking a ridiculous "no killing policy", but by OVA 7 the Neo Zeon forces are wiped out largely by the undersupplied Nahel Argama's forces.

And given the popularity of UC shows, I'm kind of hoping that they do leave Zeon remnants alive for later woks.
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

Gelgoog Jager wrote:
Also, it was weird seeing how during OVAs 5 and 6 suddenly everyone is taking a ridiculous "no killing policy", but by OVA 7 the Neo Zeon forces are wiped out largely by the undersupplied Nahel Argama's forces.
Everyone? You mean just Banagher after Loni was killed? Besides him the only other example I can think of is Full Frontal and Angelo when they came to rescue the Nahal Argama from the General Revil. And they only did that to secure a more passive/peaceful alliance with the crew. Since it would have been a little more difficult to convince the crew of the Nahal Argama to work with Neo Zeon (or just accept their take-over) if they just slaughtered an entire battleship's compliment of pilots.

Yes those pilots where coming to attack the Nahel Argama, but they were on the same side regardless, so Angelo and Full Frontal decided to play it safe. Don't really know why you want them to change those things since one is a logical character progression and the other is a political maneuver. If they change ANY kind of fight scene, maybe give something to explain why Marida didn't freaking DODGE the Banshee beam blast.

If anything, I hope the new time (if any) is used to flush out Full Frontal's background, give Loni an actual character to at least UNDERSTAND, and maybe give the series a better epilogue.
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
zetatype

Soma Taozi wrote:
Gelgoog Jager wrote:
Everyone? You mean just Banagher after Loni was killed? Besides him the only other example I can think of is Full Frontal and Angelo when they came to rescue the Nahal Argama from the General Revil. And they only did that to secure a more passive/peaceful alliance with the crew. Since it would have been a little more difficult to convince the crew of the Nahal Argama to work with Neo Zeon (or just accept their take-over) if they just slaughtered an entire battleship's compliment of pilots.
There's also Riddhe's fight with the Nahel Argama forces at the end of episode 6 and Bright Noa's "attack" on the Federation mountain base in episode 7. Though in both of those instances it makes sense since they were all on the same side not too long ago.
Soma Taozi wrote: If they change ANY kind of fight scene, maybe give something to explain why Marida didn't freaking DODGE the Banshee beam blast.
An easy way to fix this is to have the Banshee damage or destroy her thrusters so that her suit is immobilized.
AmuroNT1

Soma Taozi wrote:If they change ANY kind of fight scene, maybe give something to explain why Marida didn't freaking DODGE the Banshee beam blast.
Obviously she didn't train under Piccolo. :P

Seriously tho, like I said on Twitter, you couldn't PAY me to give a crap about Unicorn getting turned into a TV series.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Gelgoog Jager

In the 5th OVA the Garencieres team doesn't destroy any Ankushas either.

And as zetatype pointed out, neither does Riddhe kills any of the Nahel Argama's forces, despite clearly being set on killing Banagher.

In the specific case of the battle against the General Revil forces, I do understand that it makes sense for Neo Zeon forces not killing EF forces given how things played out, but I also think that if Full Frontal had arrived just a bit later and the Nahel Argama had taken casualties, they wouldn't have been so against the idea of attacking EF forces.

Moving on, I wonder if the rest of Full Frontal's royal guards will get more significant roles in the TV series. Seeing how Angelo's and Cuaron's units were refitted for their second battle, I imagine each of them could potentially have a Geara Zulu with a different configuration.

Perhaps we could also get some background of the situation of the Zeon remnants on Earth prior to their battle at Torrington (or Dakar). In the case of Reber the Ripper and his MS-08TX/S, the Missing Link videogame shows a mission that takes place before they head to Torrington, so I guess they could also add that.

Last, but not least, I'm hoping get even more Mecha cameos in the TV series, including units such as the Sleeves' AMX-014, the AMX-107R, and/or perhaps units such as the AMX-009G, AMX-011G, AMX-101S and Sand Angler from AOZ Reboot. I would also like to see exactly how the AMX-101E is supposed to use/equip a Zssa's booster for cruising towards its target.
zetatype

Gelgoog Jager wrote:In the 5th OVA the Garencieres team doesn't destroy any Ankushas either.
Nope, the Garencieres team definitely destroyed some of those Ankushas.
Gelgoog Jager wrote: And as zetatype pointed out, neither does Riddhe kills any of the Nahel Argama's forces, despite clearly being set on killing Banagher.
Because Riddhe's beef is with Banagher and only Banagher. Riddhe was stationed on the Nahel Argama not too long ago so its not a stretch to say he would prefer not to kill the Nahel Argama pilots. Grant if those pilots had put up a much tougher fight I doubt Riddhe would be above killing them.
Gelgoog Jager

The Garencieres team "damages" some Ankushas, some of which the black tri stars go after in order to rescue them from free fall.
zetatype

Ok you're right

I went back and looked at the battle and of the three we see get hit on screen none of them were destroyed though its hard to tell if the Garencieres team is doing it on purpose like Angelo and Full Frontal in episode 6.

If they are doing it on purpose then maybe its so that the black tri star guys have an excuse to leave the combat zone.
Blazer-X

Couple of new images up on Gundam Guy. Assuming they are not just OP or ED shots, we might finally get the FA-Unicorn vs Neo Zeong fight some of us were craving since Neo Zeong was announced.
YokozunaBulldozer

I was expecting this to succeed IBO's time slot on MBS every Sunday afternoon~evening but apparently it will air at 7 in the morning on a Sunday on TV Asahi just before the current Super Sentai Show Zyuohger. A bit odd considering that slot is mostly for children-oriented anime.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
zetatype

YokozunaBulldozer wrote:I was expecting this to succeed IBO's time slot on MBS every Sunday afternoon~evening but apparently it will air at 7 in the morning on a Sunday on TV Asahi just before the current Super Sentai Show Zyuohger. A bit odd considering that slot is mostly for children-oriented anime.
That's because Unicorn Re: 0096 is most likely a "last minute" effort to fill in that time slot. The show that previouly held that time slot was a Sunrise show called "Brave Beats" and it was suppose to last until the Fall season. However, the show got cancelled. Either Sunrise is contractually obligated to fill the time slot or they really want to hold onto the timeslot.

That being said I wonder how much Sunrise expects to get out of the audience that usually watches that time slot.