Ep. 098: Mega Man

MAHQ's general podcast for nerdy things, which ran from 2011-2017.
Chris
Administrator

Ep. 098: Mega Man

Chaos Theater Ep. 098 - "Mega Man"
- Download Now: 125 kbps - 155 mins, 49 sec. (2:35:49) 142.66 MB

Special Guest Host: Cristian Alvernaz

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "What We've Been Up To"
Runtime: 0:00:01 - 0:28:37

02. Discussion: "Mega Man"
Runtime: 0:29:19 - 2:32:54

03. Outro: "Internet whoring"
Runtime: 2:33:40 - 2:35:30

We're fighting robots in this latest episode of Chaos Theater. Special guest Cristian returns to discuss Mega Man with us. Our in-depth discussion mainly focuses on the original series and the X subseries, but there is also some discussion about the other game subseries, plus the cartoon, manga and comics. There is no Mailbag to close out this episode, and next time we'll be back to discuss The Private Eye.

Music Featured in this Episode:
"Boing Zoom DAKOTA!" from Rock Candy 1 by Shadow
"Smegmaman Three [He Enter Magma]" from Leg Vacuum by Armcannon
"Doctor Dialy" from Return of the Attack of the Legend of Pizor by Armcannon

Sponsors & Special Offers:
Audible

Google Voice: 305-792-8324
Email: [email protected]

Websites:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Chaos Theater -Chaos Theater Mecha Talk Forum - Gundamn! @ Mecha Talk Forum - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Chaos Theater @ Twitter - Gundamn! @ Twitter - Main RSS Feed -
Chaos Theater YouTube - iTunes
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
yazi88

Re: Ep. 098: Mega Man

Oh man Megaman... I played the original Megaman game back in the day on my Famicom (asian version of the Nintendo). I never got far in the game.

I never played much of the original Megaman games, although I've seen some people play some.

I've been a big fan of the X games though, I played X1 a good number of times through rent but never got that far... It wasn't until the PS1 era that I got into the games for good.

X4 I rented and played and beat both X and Zero's stages. Voiceover was god awful but still a fun game. Not to mention the anime cutscenes were pretty good for the PS1 era.

X5 I LOVED to death, probably the best in the series (or rather the PS1 trilogy). Great music, plot, and bosses. I especially loved the fire boss stage music (Burn Dinorex or Mattrix I think?). And the whole random system and endings made the game even better, even changed the dialogue of the bosses. This game also started the different armor systems that were selectable after unlocking them.

X6 was a controversial game both in plot and gameplay. It was also a very TROLL LIKE GAME because of the nightmare virus system that could change the layout of the stages, some even being unplayable if you don't have the right settings/armor. This was also the 1st game were I heard Japanese voice overs that was NOT a fighting game. Unfortunately this feature was taken out of the PS2 X Collection for some reason... But they also kept the god awful voice acting from X4...

X7 was a awful game in many many ways. I rented it and tried to play it both the story was bad and the mechanics were also bad. X himself, the title character wasn't even PLAYABLE until later on... Axel was not a bad character, just forgettable until Command Mission and X8.

X8 was a decent game, 2D game with 3D background which was not a bad idea, too bad the plot at the end kind of left off on a cliffhanger...

Command Mission from what I've played and read about takes place BEFORE X8 but awhile after X7...Its a turn based RPG which was rather hard but the mechanics were kind of interesting. Plot was ok. A OK game overall. The gamecube version is probably the better version over the PS2 cause of less loading times, if any, on the Gamecube version.
Saber

After finally having had the time to catch up on some of the more recent Chaos Theater episodes, I must admit that I am kind of bummed by this one.

I don't know why this is, maybe a generational thing, but whenever I see or hear people talk about Mega Man, they always only talk about the Classic series and maybe the SNES X series games, but little else. I don't know why that is, really. To me, all the good stuff comes after the Classic stuff was over. I mean, I never had an NES and I started my Mega Man run (and my entire career as a video game player in general) with Mega Man X and kept playing from that point onwards. Contrary to most players, I was never able to connect much with the Classic series since X1 handles so much better in terms of movement, ability management etc that going back to the Classic series is really jarring for me.

It's quite sad that so much of Mega Man history is just being mentioned in passing because people don't seem to care much for it and/or never played it. I was especially sad about how briefly the Zero series was mentioned in this episode, because that is probably the series in Mega Man with the most story, the most mythology and, in my opinion, some of the best music in the entire franchise. The Zero series has so many interesting characters that could be talked about, but the general thing I keep hearing about it from people is "They are hard." Yes, they are, especially the first one. But it's a very rewarding feeling when you get past a boss, all the more so if you could do it with a decent rank.

Oh, and for the record, X is not the main villain of the series.
Spoiler
It's a copy of X that's the main villain of the first game, designed to replace the original X after he went missing, but the copy got a messiah complex and started killing Reploids in order to keep up human living standards after the world got totally destroyed following the conclusion of the Maverick Wars.
Chris
Administrator

I would say it is generational, as is the case with all forms of entertainment. There are younger generations who think of Star Wars as the prequels and don't care for the originals, or who like modern rock bands but wouldn't care for Led Zeppelin. For the three of us on that episode, we're of the generation where the original and X series made the most impact. I just don't have any interest in later iterations of the franchise, but that's my prerogative.

As for glossing over a lot of these later entries, it's not to slight them, but I just don't feel qualified to talk about games I've never played, so the most I can do is just acknowledge their existence.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Destiny_Gundam

I'm in the same boat as Saber. I started with the X games (had no SNES, used emulators) and it was the Zero and Battle Network games that I grew up with. I also have the Star Force and ZX games too.

Only original Megaman I've played are 7 and 8. I have the PS2 collection but I didn't really touch the old games. I know people tout their hardness as a positive, but high difficulty will always be a negative to me.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
RX Prime

Mega Man is (or was) my favorite video game franchise & MMX1 is perhaps my most favorite game period. I was introduced to it with the X series, but I played the Classic series on the Anniversary Collection & other spin-off titles like Legends and Zero.

Legends 1 & 2: I haven't played them since my adolescence, but they're great & different games. To equate them in Gundam terms, I'd say it's the Turn A of the MM franchise because of how different it is, civilization's technology regressed compared to what's found underground, & its great cast of characters and story (especially the 2nd game). Supposedly, this series may take place many years after the main timeline (Classic -> X -> Zero -> ZX). MML had lock-on targeting before the acclaimed Z-targeting of Zelda: OOT!

MMZ: It's a sequel to the MMX series. While he character designs are odd, the art design is beautiful (similar to G-Reco). As stated by Saber, X isn't the villain of the series. In fact, each of the 4 games has a different final boss, unlike MM's Wily & MMX's Sigma. I also think it has a good story & cast, at least more so than the classic & X series. While the games are difficult, it can be alleviated by the use of Cyber Elves. The 4th game even has an easy mode that takes away spikes!

MMZX: It's a sequel to the MMZ series. I'd say it's more like Kamen Rider/Super Sentai than magical boys. Other than that, I haven't played much of it.

MMBN: I've only played the 3rd game & had fun. By the time the 3rd game came, each installment had different versions like Pokemon. Also, Star Force is a distant sequel to Battle Network.

MM cartoon: I enjoyed this when I was kid, but it's actually pretty bad. The X crossover turned the pacifist hero into an aggressive powerhouse that tries to stop Mavericks by any means necessary. Ian James Corlett (Mega Man) not only did the voice of Ocean Group's DBZ Goku, but he voiced Cheetor from Beast Wars & Beast Machines.

Those mangas & comics sound interesting. I'll hunt them down then!

Here's some trivia:
Vile is named Vava because it sounds close to Boba (the Japanese pronounces v's like b's).

In X8, Command Mission, & MHX, X is voiced by Mark Gatha (Domon Kasshu) & Sigma is voiced by Dave Pettitt (Master Asia). X even pulled a Shining Finger in Day of Sigma! https://youtu.be/XargtseX6cE

Before the Ruby-Spears cartoon, he's in Captain N: The Game Master as a green, short, pudgy kid.