The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Mecha Thread Mk I

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Calubin_175

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Mecha Thread Mk

Gushion has been modified to primarily operate in space. It has low uptime due to its high fuel consumption from its weight, but the inclusion of propellant tanks in its body alleviates this problem.

Man Rodi

BEST MOBILE SUIT EVER: Plays the technical role of the old venerable reliable heavily armored model akin to the Zaku and Tieren. Ease of operation and maintenance have yet been confirmed.

Many MS based on the Rodi Frame were heavily mass produced in the mid period of the Calamity War, with them being operated as a mainstay MS for many years in the outer sphere. As one of the many frames(frame types) being produced, it bears the speciality of not having much speciality and doesn't have much drawbacks either, hence its versatility is high. As such, it could withstand having heavy armor equipment, which reflects the frame's high versatility.

Man Rodi is a restored machine that utilises such frame and it is an ultra heavily armored machine with its armor strengthened to the limit of the machine's loading. Brewers, who enjoy using the Man Rodi, makes good use of the machine's speciality by employing tactics to charge straight through while withstanding the the defensive barrage of their prey, the merchant ships. They could swiftly latch onto the ship and has been repeatedly used by pirates for subjugating the bridge.

Due to it high fuel consumption from the machine's heavy weight, it does not fare well in attrition warfare. It has sufficient mobility in space and has weapons for mid to close range combat.

Operating environment
It has been modified for space use. The Man Rodi's heavy weight is a burden under atmosphere and there aren't many records of it being operated in such circumstances.

Brewers is a famed pirate organisation active in the route from Earth to Mars. The are comprised of two warships, one large transport ship, and 10 odd mobile suits(probably more than just Man Rodi and Gushion, maybe more MSV to come). They are deeply engaged in human trafficking and made use of Arayashiki operated young teenagers(early teens) from Human Debris as pilots.
Last edited by Calubin_175 on Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
E08

Calubin_175 wrote:...Many MS based on the Rodi Frame were heavily mass produced in the mid period of the Calamity War, with them being operated as a mainstay MS for many years within and outside of the (earth)sphere.

...They are deeply engaged in human trafficking and made use of Arayashiki operated young teenagers(early teens) from Human Debris as pilots.
Rather than the Rodi Frame MS being operated as a mainstay MS for many years within and outside of the (earth)sphere, i think the manual simply says that they are the mainstay MS in the Outer Sphere. For those who don't know, the 'Arayashiki' is actually the Alaya-Vijnana System.

New info:
-The submachine gun used by Man Rodi and Gusion is a widely circulated MS weapon.
-The thrusters on Gusion Hammer help to control the weapon's trajectory and give it high impact power.
-Brewers customise the Gusion for space use as they are space pirates and have no plan to operate under gravity.
Calubin_175

Oops my bad, it was only outer sphere.
balofo

The Gusion was only discovered in the debris belt recently. Brewers acquiring it is even more recent. It makes me wonder if the original pilots abandoned the Gundams in hard to reach places for a reason.

I will translate all 4 new manuals soon, there's still the 1/100 Grazen next Thursday, but I don't think it will contain any relevant info since we already have its weapons specs. Maybe a paragraph on its Ahab Reactor like the 1/100 Barbatos had or production numbers/dates.

I wonder if this month's HJ will give us the name of the upgraded Graze Kai and any info on the new Gundam MS B.
Calubin_175

Am I correct on the sources of MS in IBO?

Gjallarhorn: New MS models built with new Ahab Reactors.

Teiwaz: Based on an MS model from the later part of the Calamity War, the Hyakuren is a newly built frame using old(existing?) reactors. (Relic blueprint appropriation, akin to AGE Vagans and G no Reconguista MS, not necessarily identical machine to the past). Not sure about the Hyakuri, but the firearms are all built by Euro Electronics.

EDIT: HG Manual explicitly said Teiwaz got their hands on old blueprints and the Hyakuren was a new frame based off it. So it is the same manner as building new MS based on existing blueprints found in Rose of Hermes and EXA DB. However, we never knew whether the AGE and G Reco examples had any exact replicas rather than just design appropriation.

Brewers: Man Rodis are restored machines from the past, notably that Rodi Frame types were mostly built during the mid period of the Calamity War. (Actual machines are relics from the past, akin to Turn A Gundam, however, their manufacturing may have the potential to be replicated).
balofo

Gusion manual:

Model number: ASW-G-11. Overall height: 18m, dry weight:44.4t
Gundam Gusion: Gundam Frame MS made an appearance at the last stage of the Calamity War. The development project went up to only 72 machines, as for the present-day postwar period where more than 300 years passed, only 26 machines have been confirmed to exist. The Gusion is one machine among those valuable ones. It was discovered within a high density debris belt that's difficult to use as a route in recent years, that sector as a pirate's territory has passed through many hands. In the past few years, it crossed over into the hands of the famous pirates Brewers, it's being used as Kudal Cadel's machine who acts as the commanding officer of the MS corps. The Gundam Frame's characteristic high output of its 2 Ahab Reactors allowed super heavy armored equipment to be applied, large propellant tanks are equipped inside the armor, reducing the accompanying fuel consumption risk because of the machine's weight. Solo flight distance is short, it's unsuitable for long periods of combat. Even having such a weakness, anti-aircraft machine gun is unable to make a dent in Gusion's thick armor threatening those who oppose it.
-Kudal Cadel: In fact he's the number 2 in the group, drives Gusion. Takes command of the troops during combat, he remorselessly hands down heartless orders to the Human Debris boys. He's characterized by mixing a female tone.
-Brewers: they target mainly merchant ships in the routes connecting Earth and Mars, pirates that have looted repeatedly. Brooke Kabayan serves as the representative, they are famous pirates. The organization scale's is big, MS possession number amounts to ten-odd machines. They have a hand in human trafficking, they are using Human Debris boys in their mid teens or less as pilots.
-Environmental activity: the base is the Gundam Frame, it has a high versatility that doesn't choose the environment where it operates, however as for Brewers that make a living of piracy acts in space, without an outlook for operation in the gravity sphere, Gusion has been customized as a space only machine.
-Gusion Hammer: super dreadnought(?) weapon that destroys using its mass with an weight that exceeds 15t. The hammer's body has thrusters, they enhance trajectory control as well as impact's shock.
-Submachine gun: widely circulated MS use machine gun. Easy to handle because of its lightweight, pirates use it by choice for its relative low price.

I've changed the translation of 質量破壊武器 to weapon that destroys using its mass instead of physical destruction weapon for a better meaning. Same applies to Barbatos' Mace.

Man Rodi next.
Last edited by balofo on Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
Calubin_175

Barbatos uses the hilt-less katana when it struck the Man Rodi. This is the same sword that came with the regular HG kit.
balofo

-Kutan Type 3 is an Ebikawa design
-Gusion head ports can launch signal flares, so they aren't vulcans?
-Man Rodi can carry at least one hand grenade inside its rear skirt armor. Smoke grenade used.
-Rodi Frame pic with its original legs: https://i.imgur.com/wGK6noV.jpg

How does Kudal pilot Gusion if he hasn't AV System?
Calubin_175

The second frame with the Man Rodi drawn with a smaller head looks much cooler and alludes to the Starcraft space marine suits. The large head is the only thing that makes it cute and childish, hence piloted by child soldiers.

The initial shot with the smaller head made it more menacing, or at least from the majority of shots from the episode 10.
E08

balofo wrote:-Kutan Type 3 is an Ebikawa design
-Gusion head ports can launch signal flares, so they aren't vulcans?
-Man Rodi can carry at least one hand grenade inside its rear skirt armor. Smoke grenade used.
-Rodi Frame pic with its original legs: https://i.imgur.com/wGK6noV.jpg

How does Kudal pilot Gusion if he hasn't AV System?
I think the hand grenade was from the side skirt armor instead of the rear skirt armor. As for the head ports, perhaps they are some kind of multipurpose ports that can fire different things?

I guess the simple answer to the Gusion question is that Brewers or the pirates that had Gusion earlier had the technical capabilities to take out the AV system and replace it with normal control system. It is also possible they may have engaged a third party with the skills to do so.

Talking about Gusion, i wonder how much of its current look and abilities are due to the customisations it had received so far. Would be nice to see its original form.
Calubin_175

Looks like hitting those armored guys with napalm and wasting their fuel could easily defeat them.
balofo

Well:
-Gusion uses a Man Rodi cockpit as we could see in this ep.
-1/144 Barbatos manual says ancient MS need an organic device like AV System to be piloted.
-Gusion is being piloted without an organic device(apparently), but the Man Rodis are using AV.

The only answer is that either the Man Rodi cockpit is the same ancient one but the Gusion's was modified with current tech to be piloted without AV(if this is possible then any faction with decent tech can use the Gundams easily) or the Man Rodi's cockpit is new and the AV System is optional(like the CGS MWs).

I believe the 2nd option is the correct one since the Hyakuri is supposed to be an ancient MS but can be piloted without AV.

Barbatos' cockpit is the original one, it even has the Barbatos' emblem on the joysticks. So either Gusion was found without any cockpit part(unlikely) or they completed removed the original one to be able to use it with the cockpit seen in this ep.

Oh, indeed the Man Rodi's hand grenade is stored in its side skirt armor.

Gjallarhorn has at least 3 Earth orbital bases, entering atmosphere without battle will be hard.

1/100 Graze comes with the short barrel Rifle, maybe it will give some info on its functions.
balofo

Man Rodi manual:

-Model Number: UGY-R41. Overall height: 17.1m, dry weight:40.6t
-Man Rodi: machine that adopted the Rodi Frame as base, it was mass produced in the middle period of the Calamity War, it played an active role throughout a long time as the Outer Sphere mainline MS. One of the frames that was produced in great numbers, since it has no characteristic feature it can be said that it has no peculiarity to a degree, it's highly versatile. For that reason, it can also support heavy armored equipment, it's a frame that's appreciated for its versatility level. Man Rodi is a restored machine that re-used the frame, a super heavily armored machine that raised armor strength until the loading weight limit. The Man Rodi is employed in Brewers on purpose, they capitalize on the machine's special characteristic, to breakthrough the front of the targeted merchant ship's anti-aircraft fire by force. They take hold of the ship in one go, piracy acts have been repeated by the bridge suppression strategy. It's unsuitable for fierce protracted war due to propellant consumption because of the machine's weight, however it has enough mobility in outer space, it's also fully armed for short to middle distance battle.
-Environmental activity: it's a machine that was improved placing emphasis on outer space operation. It's possible to say that the Man Rodi's characteristic heavy armor becomes a hindrance under gravity, leading activity results were not recorded. Contrary to its outward heavy armored appearance, when the thrusters in every part accelerate it displays a flexible behavior in outer space.
-Brewers: they are famous pirates who maneuver behind the scenes in the routes from Earth towards Mars. They possess 2 battleships and 1 large transport ship, MS possession number amounts to ten-odd machines too. A giant called Brooke Kabayan serves as the representative. They have a hand in human trafficking, they are using Human Debris boys in their mid teens or less that have received the Alaya-Vijnana System surgical treatment as pilots.
-Hammer Chopper: in addition to using it like a hatchet swinging downward, operation of the back of the blade side's pointed end part as hammer is also possible. Man Rodi has a mount mechanism on the rear waist.

Kutan next
nacho-wan

E08 wrote: Talking about Gusion, i wonder how much of its current look and abilities are due to the customisations it had received so far. Would be nice to see its original form.
Seems like the MSV collection will be bristing with original items for this series.
What has me more surprised by the Gusion is that it doesn't have V fin. Maybe it will turn a case of only Gundam in marketing -or because of the frame, but still..
Aun cuando mil millones de personas acepten una idea absurda, sigue siendo absurda.
Although a thousand million people accept an absurd idea, it still is an absurd idea
-Henry I. Miller
Kuruni

nacho-wan wrote:Seems like the MSV collection will be bristing with original items for this series.
Yes. Since there were 72 Gundams used in last war but we will be damn lucky if we get to see more than 5 in the show (pretty sure there will be more after Kimaris), there're lot of room for MSV.
My girlfriend was a loli.
MayflyOfSpace

nacho-wan wrote:
E08 wrote: Talking about Gusion, i wonder how much of its current look and abilities are due to the customisations it had received so far. Would be nice to see its original form.
Seems like the MSV collection will be bristing with original items for this series.
What has me more surprised by the Gusion is that it doesn't have V fin. Maybe it will turn a case of only Gundam in marketing -or because of the frame, but still..
I think that the Gusion will have been modified at least in regards to its heavy armor, since it seems that that's what the Brewers did with the Man Rodi units as well, and that just seems to be their style. Maybe we'll see it's original form in the series, but realistically, we'd be more likely to see it in the MS-V collection.

Which I cannot wait for.
Arsarcana

nacho-wan wrote:What has me more surprised by the Gusion is that it doesn't have V fin. Maybe it will turn a case of only Gundam in marketing -or because of the frame, but still..
Remember, while individual shows may have their own classifications the only thing that ultimately determines that a suit is a Gundam is that the creators say it's a Gundam. Turn A is one and it had a V-Moustache, G-Lucifer is a Gundam with a single 'horn' and a monoeye etc.

Admittedly the Gusion sounds like it's modified somewhat from its original design but we can't be sure how different it is and it really wouldn't make a difference either way. It has a Gundam Frame underneath all that armor so by the rules established by IBO, it's a Gundam regardless.

But yes, I suspect there's going to be some really interesting MSV to come out of this series. Hopefully more than G-Reco.
SonicSP

nacho-wan wrote:Seems like the MSV collection will be bristing with original items for this series.
If the frame looks like Barbatos' then it's supposed to have one inside but yeah I agree, it was discussed a lot when it was revealed. I believe Gusion is only the second Gundam design ever that doesn't have a visible external visible Gundam Type symbol. (I.E. an official Gundam that isn't a Gundam-Type).
kabukigang777

because of the clues in info i guess the MS-b is guison 2nd form,if tekkadan capture this guison thing.
X-Sri-Uzumaki-X

^ Yeah I saw that one Taghobby the other day. Apparently it was called Gundam Gusion Rebake and then the name was mysteriously taken down. I think that the "lack of a V-fin" is not quite what it seems based on the pictures. We've gotten loads of info saying that the Brewers have beefed up the armor of the Man Rodi and Gusion (& we saw evidence of that when Barbatos wasn't able to pierce the armor of Gusion). What do you guys think of the Green top piece of Gusion's head as being a COVER for the actual V fin, based on the assumption that MS-B is gusion's 2nd form? Take a close look at the following:
1) the 4 points on MS-B's head. They seem to correspond to the four points on Gusion big-boi mode :)
2) the "thorax" of MS-B seems to be the "shell" of the Brewer's version of Gusion
3) the feet are pretty darn close in shape

I'm almost convinced of it! Haha! :mrgreen:

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/gun ... 1004101249

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-AVJeE_Jktzk/V ... 937725.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-tb_NyZpUh00/V ... 950215.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-J1Yda728Rlg/V ... 784556.jpg