The Official Gundam The Origin Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
penguintruth

Re: The Official Gundam The Origin Anime Thread Mk I

The problem is that the entire point of Haro is to show how brilliant Amuro is. He built a robot, ostensibly for his friend Fraw Bow (probably in place of his company, since he's too busy with other projects). If you take that away, it means Amuro is just a normal kid before he gets into a Gundam.
Visit my YouTube page for episodes of Otaku Evolution, my anime review show! (Watch with Adblock off!)
zetatype

penguintruth wrote:The problem is that the entire point of Haro is to show how brilliant Amuro is. He built a robot, ostensibly for his friend Fraw Bow (probably in place of his company, since he's too busy with other projects). If you take that away, it means Amuro is just a normal kid before he gets into a Gundam.
While you can certainly argue that haro is the best visual representation of Amuro's brilliance, people in the original TV series/movies still mention his technical brillance in a few lines of dialogue. In episode 2 Miri mentioned that Amuro has a reputation in Side 7 as being an "Incredible techno freak" (English dub). So even if you do take haro out of the equation the show still establishes that he was brilliant before he got into the gundam.
Last edited by zetatype on Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amion

Let's not forget he designs Nu Gundam on his own. That should be enough proof of him having the technical know-how. Aside from him actually being the guy who repairs the Gundam on White Base every time it gets damaged.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Deacon Blues

I see we have a continuity error with the translation... they have 親衛隊 as Special Service instead of Royal Guards. I'm wondering if this is the Sunrise directive for the translation. I think the SS would then probably mesh better with MS IGLOO... Maybe Mark can shed some light on this. And I thought the whole debacle of バンチ back in the day resolved it as just being "Colony __". Yet here they went with Banchi again... I still look at that and go "what the heck is banchi?" even though I know it's address...

And is it me or is Hamon even prettier in this version than in MSG. In MSG she had a very classic look (kinda like the Martha of the Unicorn novel). I love her song.

Death of the cat gets me every time...

Trailer for Episode 3 here. Looks badass.
Calubin_175

Did anyone find Ikeda Shuuichi voicing young Edourd Mass a bit odd? Would they have to modulate his recordings to make him sound younger. He was also very monotone especially with his parting scene at the end, but it may also have reflected his change in persona.
toysdream

Yep, Sunrise decided they wanted "Banchi" rather than "Colony".

As for 親衛隊, they can't be a Royal Guard when Side 3 isn't yet a monarchy. There was a lot of back-and-forth about this, but ultimately the studio opted for "Special Service". Part of the reason is that, in Tomino's novels, there are a few references to the Zeon "SS" - Ramba Ral is a member in the novel continuity.

And regarding Haro, in Zeta Gundam we learn that there at some point there was a toy version that was programmed to talk about "Amuro" and "Bright". Perhaps the implication here is that the toys existed before Amuro had one, and they were later updated to name-check their most famous owners. I think some of the Japanese Gundam museums have claimed that Haro was originally the mascot of the Colony Public Corporation, but I don't believe that's ever been officialized.

-- Mark
Turn-A Binker

"holds back anger"
The short video [GUNDAM RISING] was screened at the theatrical release of Mobile Suit Gundam THE ORIGIN II Artesia's Sorrow in Japan. This special video was tied to the promotion of the upcoming gunpla release for the MG 1/100 RX-78-02 Gundam [Gundam THE ORIGIN], which is due to release in November.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-JyMLzMbFPVA/V ... led-47.jpg
Making me want to reignite my criticisms that would also lead to a another battle with Chris.

>:(

Can't...hold..it...
Deacon Blues

Turn-A Binker wrote:"holds back anger"
The short video [GUNDAM RISING] was screened at the theatrical release of Mobile Suit Gundam THE ORIGIN II Artesia's Sorrow in Japan. This special video was tied to the promotion of the upcoming gunpla release for the MG 1/100 RX-78-02 Gundam [Gundam THE ORIGIN], which is due to release in November.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-JyMLzMbFPVA/V ... led-47.jpg
Making me want to reignite my criticisms that would also lead to a another battle with Chris.

>:(

Can't...hold..it...
It's a promotional video for the gunpla and nothing more. The animated video does not replace any preexisting animation of the Gundam activating. Seriously though... who shives a git?
toysdream wrote:As for 親衛隊, they can't be a Royal Guard when Side 3 isn't yet a monarchy. There was a lot of back-and-forth about this, but ultimately the studio opted for "Special Service". Part of the reason is that, in Tomino's novels, there are a few references to the Zeon "SS" - Ramba Ral is a member in the novel continuity.
That drives me bonkers... I swore there was an SS insignia from MS IGLOO somewhere that I remember. Personally I think Special Service works better than Royal Guard overall, but then again using that for the Principality name just makes it all the more "Germanic" sounding... :P
Zeonista

Yeah, #2 continued the awesomeness in a great fashion. 8) This episode explains or at least justifies a lot of things, before ending with MSG's tearjerker Sayla scene in fresh and painful perspective.
Jinba's Alliance: It has a great deal of hidden meaning after Unicorn, no?
Mass Effect: Wow! :shock:
From Zeon with love: Jinba no baka, while you took no action you and the children were safe...
Hamon sings the UC blues: Yeah baby. 8)
too good to rot: Ranba gets in at the ground floor of MS development, but 3 comrades beat him to it. Moments like that give me much happiness.
Blue and Red: Yeah they went there. :lol:
"A large toy almost got away from a boy.": Irony abounds! :lol:
More like Wyoming than Texas: True!! :lol:
The first Char clone...: ...was the man himself.
penguintruth wrote:The problem is that the entire point of Haro is to show how brilliant Amuro is. He built a robot, ostensibly for his friend Fraw Bow (probably in place of his company, since he's too busy with other projects). If you take that away, it means Amuro is just a normal kid before he gets into a Gundam.
In MSG Amuro is shown fixing Haro, so he kept his toy going beyond its likely expiration date. Then it followed him around White Base, so it looks like the toy enjoyed some residual popularity from association with him. Although the age of the toy might explain why Camille found one in a trash pile later.

Deacon Blues: If the jackboot fits... I prefer "Secret Service" myself, in the context that it means both a guardian and special ops force directly responsible to the Zeon leadership, which at this point is more or less the Zabi family. And I must agree that Hamon looks much better here than in MSG, although I put it down to the evolution of Yaz's style since then.

toysdream: The call to use banchi instead of colony is accurate from in-story context, I suppose. But in this case I wouldn't mind the use of colony to communicate it to the larger English-speaking audience.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Erisie

I think I might the only person on the Internet who caught this background detail on the latest episode. A friend was telling me to contact Sunrise, in case there was an award for nerdery or something.
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

Since I gushed last episode over how adorable the Rescue Lucifer scene was...Lucifer's passing cut me just as deep as Casval and Artesia's mother death. I will miss that adorable little pumpkin.

I also wish the whole episode just involved Casval and Artesia riding around the Texas Colony, getting into bar fights, moooving herds of cows, and generally acting out Spagetti Western cliches. But that might just be me.
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
Zeonista

Erisie wrote:I think I might the only person on the Internet who caught this background detail on the latest episode. A friend was telling me to contact Sunrise, in case there was an award for nerdery or something.
You get the award for sure. :D Good eye though.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Destiny_Gundam

So what's the deal with that suit of armor? I thought perhaps it was some character we already knew trying to hide their identity so I was waiting for a reveal but that never happened. If you're trying to assassinate someone why trudge around in a heavy suit of armor swinging a sword around? All the other attackers had guns which were a lot more useful.

Anyways, it was a good episode overall. Definitely dig how they got Toshikazu Seki to voice the original Char since he voiced his own masked man before.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Ceiling_Squid

I'm having a major tug-of-war between my hand and my wallet here.

Has there been ANY indication of a standard edition release from Rightstuf? I saw the first episode of The Origin and loved it, but dear god are these collector's blu-rays obscenely-priced.

I'll even pay the same absurd prices I paid for Unicorn blu-rays, but $100 for an episode is just too much for my good sense. I figured I'd just have to wait a bit longer to get a standard edition disc...but here we are months later, second episode already released, and STILL no news of something that isn't an overpriced super special deluxe collector's release.

Driving me up a wall.
Destiny_Gundam

With collector sets like these you'll likely never see a standard edition release if there isn't one from the beginning. Aniplex has only recently started doing this but Pony Canyon actually just scrapped the standard edition release of Rokka because they want people to give them more money.

You might see a complete collection at some point, but it'll probably be years after it's done.
Chris
Administrator

Destiny_Gundam wrote:With collector sets like these you'll likely never see a standard edition release if there isn't one from the beginning. Aniplex has only recently started doing this but Pony Canyon actually just scrapped the standard edition release of Rokka because they want people to give them more money.

You might see a complete collection at some point, but it'll probably be years after it's done.
But there already has been a standard edition since the beginning, it's just that Right Stuf doesn't sell it. See here:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/BCXA-981

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/BCXA-982
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Destiny_Gundam

Huh, strange that it's only available as a Japanese import. Well there you go, Ceiling_Squid.
zetatype

Well the first trailer for episode 3 is now out.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... med/.95411

Its seems like the episode will most likely end with Char and Garma's attack on the Federation garrison and Char getting leave to go down to earth.

What's interesting is that it seems like we will get an anime original fight featuring a prototype Zeon mobile suit taking on three Feddie ships. Unless i'm mistaken there were no battles involving capital ships in the "flashback" volumes until the Battle of Loum.
Amion

Finally got to watch episode 2. Felt so good to be back in the Universal Century again. Original and best. :mrgreen:
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Erisie

zetatype wrote:What's interesting is that it seems like we will get an anime original fight featuring a prototype Zeon mobile suit taking on three Feddie ships. Unless i'm mistaken there were no battles involving capital ships in the "flashback" volumes until the Battle of Loum.
You are (and aren't) mistaken. It's not exactly a flashforward to Loum or otherwise,but a simulation render made by Professor Minovsky to demonstrate the power of the new reactor to Gihren.

That panel is the only part in the whole manga on which MS-03 appears. I get the feeling that 03 was not actually constructed (or at least never deployed in actual combat) since all early deployments in the manga used 04s and 05s. I'm also confused at this design , which some sources in Japanese mention as being the actual MS-03. Anyone have a clue?

It's also interesting to note that the 03 looks more like the subsequent Zakus (05 and 06, plus its derivatives) than the 04, almost as if the Zaku line was a regression.