Full Metal Panic: Invisible Victory

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
LightningCount

Full Metal Panic: Invisible Victory

Apparently, Full Metal Panic will be getting a new anime adaptation. (UNCONFIRMED: It sounds like it will be a Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood or Hellsing Ultimate kind of deal, in terms of redoing the FMP content and adding new content: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... ion/.94580

I never saw any of the original versions outside of a few clips. Some of it looked intriguing, and some of it looked a bit too comedic for my tastes. Still, I'm interested to see how this goes. It's amazing how some series come back. I'll have to wait and see if I should check out the older versions first, or jump in with the new version. But this should be great news for fans.
Last edited by LightningCount on Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
Destiny_Gundam

Re: Full Metal Panic anime reboot

Nothing in that article suggests a Brotherhood/Ultimate type of thing. There'd be no point since the anime we got were pretty faithful as it is.

The novels have been finished for awhile so assumedly they'll be covering the rest of the story.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
LightningCount

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Nothing in that article suggests a Brotherhood/Ultimate type of thing. There'd be no point since the anime we got were pretty faithful as it is.

The novels have been finished for awhile so assumedly they'll be covering the rest of the story.
Some ANN forum members who watched the announcement event online suggested it was starting over from the beginning (I guess because the novels and anime diverged). But they might be mistaken.
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
Raikoh

I can't really get fully excited for it, partially because it's been nearly 10 years since the last animated entry into the franchise.

I mean, it's neat to hear that it's continuing, but I was never the biggest FMP fan in the world and with how long it's been since TSR it feels like it came really late if they wanted to capitalize on FMP.

But hey, maybe now the Laevateinn will finally get animated.
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE
zetatype

LightningCount wrote:
Destiny_Gundam wrote:Nothing in that article suggests a Brotherhood/Ultimate type of thing. There'd be no point since the anime we got were pretty faithful as it is.

Some ANN forum members who watched the announcement event online suggested it was starting over from the beginning (I guess because the novels and anime diverged). But they might be mistaken.
While the anime and light novels have some differences they pretty much follow the same plot and don't significantly diverge from each other (unlike the two FMA TV series). TSR ends pretty much the same way volume 5 of the LN series did and even had some lingering plot threads that would lead into the next season (if there was one).

The only real purpose for starting a reboot would be to draw in a new audience, since picking off where TSR left off would certainly alienate newcomers. Though to be honest I don't think FMP is the kind of anime that would be able to draw in a new fandom big enough to warrant a reboot.

Also I think there was an ad for the announcement that had a picture of the Laevatein, a mech that doesn't appear until more than halfway through the LN series.
Henyo

i've watched all of the FMP anime adaptations so i'm quite excited about this new entry.

Brotherhood or not I AM SO READY(spongbob voice) for this.
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
Arbiter GUNDAM

Still rooting for my girl, Tessa. :)
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
zetatype

Well this poster leaves little doubt in my mind that we are getting a 4th season (If you count Fumoffu as the second) and not a reboot.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2 ... -announced

Unless the person in charge of coloring screwed up that is definitely the Laevatein.
AmuroNT1

Fumoffu is odd because a lot of people would consider it a filler season, yet all the content was written by Shoji Gatoh and appeared in the original light novels. Yes, that means Bonta-kun, the rugby team, and the myopic karate club leader are all official and not just inventions of an animation studio (otherwise, Gatoh probably wouldn't have playfully referenced Bonta-kun with Moffle in Amagi Brilliant Park). What really happened was, Kyoto Animation simply decided to bud all the comedy bits off into their own season so they could tighten the focus on the action.

I do wonder how a new anime will handle things if it really does just pick up where TSR left off. IIRC, the very next novel was Dancing Very Merry Christmas, which is basically Die Hard on a boat (and there are express shout-outs, like the would-be hero getting called "John McClane" by the Mithril staff). The manga adaptation, FMP Sigma, skipped this story in favor of going on with the main plot, then went back and covered it closer to the end by having Kaname flash back to it.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Destiny_Gundam

AmuroNT1 wrote:Fumoffu is odd because a lot of people would consider it a filler season, yet all the content was written by Shoji Gatoh and appeared in the original light novels. Yes, that means Bonta-kun, the rugby team, and the myopic karate club leader are all official and not just inventions of an animation studio (otherwise, Gatoh probably wouldn't have playfully referenced Bonta-kun with Moffle in Amagi Brilliant Park). What really happened was, Kyoto Animation simply decided to bud all the comedy bits off into their own season so they could tighten the focus on the action.
The term you're looking for is "side story."

Also Bonta-kun has been around since the series started (Chidori has a plushie of him). He didn't first appear in Fomoffu.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
zetatype

AmuroNT1 wrote:Fumoffu is odd because a lot of people would consider it a filler season, yet all the content was written by Shoji Gatoh and appeared in the original light novels.
It pretty much is filler since it doesn't advance the plot. And while Gatou did write the material Fumoffu is based on the stories did not appear in the original LNs. They are simply side stories that happen at unspecified points in the FMP timeline (between the first arc of season 1 and TSR).
AmuroNT1 wrote:I do wonder how a new anime will handle things if it really does just pick up where TSR left off. IIRC, the very next novel was Dancing Very Merry Christmas, which is basically Die Hard on a boat (and there are express shout-outs, like the would-be hero getting called "John McClane" by the Mithril staff). The manga adaptation, FMP Sigma, skipped this story in favor of going on with the main plot, then went back and covered it closer to the end by having Kaname flash back to it.
If we are getting a TV series then "Dancing Very Merry Chirstmas" is probably the way to go. While it does little to advance the overall plot it would be a good way to restablish the setting and characters of FMP. It would also be a good way to rope in some new viewers and old viewers who aren't FMP fans. Things get very intense in "Continuing On My Own" and would not be a very good place to start especially for a series that hasn't had a new season in 10 years.
RyuseiDateSRX

Laevatein! Laevatein! Laevatein! I wanna see it in anime!
LightningCount

Re: Full Metal Panic (new anime adaptation)

I've edited the title and lead post here for more accuracy (as best as I can, since there's no strike-through option on this board). However, I'm not sure why they would be so vague if it was simply Season 4. And while showing a later mecha design is good evidence of Season 4, it could also be a tease for the newer material to come in this adaptation. If it is Season 4, they should have just embraced it like Fafner did with Fafner Exodus. But then again, I suppose they just want to build up the hype either way.
Ryujin

Perhaps, due to the length of time involved since the last animated FMP, they plan to incorporate an abbreviated, summarized version of the past shows with new animation for the first few episodes before moving on to the newer material for the benefit of new viewers.

So, technically, it would be a new adaptation as well as being season 4.
battletech

Sounds like it's time for me to get the DVDs off the self and watch them again.
"The souls of Man are weighed down by gravity." - Char Aznable
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.-Clarke
Wingnut

battletech wrote:Sounds like it's time for me to get the DVDs off the self and watch them again.
Or go check Funimation's Youtube channel as IIRC, they have it up for streaming there as well.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
AmuroNT1

They only have the dub up for free (not that that's a complaint, mind, since FMP's dub was pretty good). What bugged me more was they edited the final battle of TSR to remove the OP "Minami Kaze" from Sosuke's epic moment of badass. I understand if it's a legal issue, but it's still annoying.
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

Henyo

It's a good thing then, that Chris Patton has returned to anime voice acting. would be weird to not have him as Sousuke. i've gotten used to the english dub. there's also Luci Christian and Vic Minogna. i like all three VA.

were there any other high tier VAs in the dub? those three i mentioned are the only ones i remember well. XD
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
zetatype

Henyo wrote:It's a good thing then, that Chris Patton has returned to anime voice acting. would be weird to not have him as Sousuke. i've gotten used to the english dub. there's also Luci Christian and Vic Minogna. i like all three VA.

were there any other high tier VAs in the dub? those three i mentioned are the only ones i remember well. XD

Hillary Haag? She voices Tessa. There's also Greg Aryes, but he plays a minor role (Shinji Kazama).
AmuroNT1

I'll eagerly be awaiting the dub so I can hear Hillary Haag's version of Tessa's epic moment.
Spoiler
When she finally gets fed up with her brother and says to him (via proxy) "I ****ing hate ****s like you who think they're the good guys!" while flipping the bird. In the FMP Sigma manga, the look on Leonard's face when he gets the message is also priceless.