Mailbag Drop Box Mk II

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
MCTDread

Re: Mailbag Drop Box Mk II

Which character in all of Mecha deserves a good ole Comedy Central Roast? And who should be on the panel?
Last edited by MCTDread on Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.
YokozunaBulldozer

LET THEM FIGHT

1. If Ken Watanabe told you to let two mecha pilots fight who would the two be?

2. If Macross 7 became Robotech 7 would you guys be cool with Nekki Basara and Fire Bomber being called Ned Bucky and the Flame Busters?

3. What are your tactics for surviving five nights at a Radam hive/nest from Tekkaman Blade? Your only tools are a replica tekkaman helmet and two flashlights you duct taped as a improvised tek lancer.
Last edited by YokozunaBulldozer on Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:40 am, edited 17 times in total.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
zero_the_masked_knight

Hi, Gundamn! Crew!

Now's not the time for fear; that comes later.

1) What are your three favorite guns? "Guns" can be anything; from personal firearms to Mobile Suit Guns or Ship's cannons.
Mine are:
1) The Seburo M-5 Handgun from GITS:SAC
2) FN Five Seven
3) The GN Sword II
What about you?

2) I watched a Fairy Tail episode a while ago; the one where Laxus defeats the entire Raven tail team by himself. I thought it was well done. The build up was nice and the fight was brief and to the point. Part of your critiques of Build Fighters season one was how one sided Nils' fights were. So, My question is: Where would you draw the line between an unrealistic one sided fight and a well done one, which I consider the fairy tail example to be? Can you give other examples of well done and unrealistic one sided fights and compare and contrast them?

There is nothing to fear but fear itself.
Seeing people for who they are; not who you think they are, not what you want them to be. Seeing someone unconditionally, without paranoia, without prejudice, without stereotypes, without fear...That's what "love" is.
"Love" is looking into a person's eyes and seeing a soul.
Turn-A Binker

Newtypes are a major factor in terms of UC Gundam. Everyone always asks about their importance, but I want to play a game of "what-if" with you guys about removing them. When it comes to MSG, Zeta, ZZ, CCA, Unicorn, Victory if you to add that, maybe even 0080 when it came to the Alex; if Newtypes didn't exist in any of these, how would it affect the plot/story, characters, tech, etc.? Would've it been an improvement, or would it be less special? Could a change in character actions and/or plot revelations (CCA, Unicorn) still keep the story just a good without the theme and use of Newtypes, or at the end of the day, would it show that Newtypes are important and removing them from the stories would be a bad idea? Your thoughts.
bloodyknight

Yo from bloodyknight85 aka Shadow Broker (I blame Sho) aka Nightbot (I blame Majors),

P.S. if these questions came up in the discussions and in the previous email submissions, you know what to do.

1) for all of you or any special guests - which current Gundam show you like the most, either Gundam Build Fighters Try or Gundam Reconguista in G?

2) for all of you or any special guests - favorite mecha anime show of the year 2014 if you have one.

good game, good luck, take care to all.
YokozunaBulldozer

HELLO

1. Which Macross-themed restaurant should get crowdfunding and be a real thing? SDF Nyan-nyan or TGIK (Thank Goodness It's Kakizaki's)?

2. Suppose a random dimensional event happens and the Frost brothers got dimension-swapped with Bulk and Skull. How would Gundam X conclude and vice versa Mighty Morphin Power Rangers?

3. What are your thoughts on prototype mechas? For example, do they get too much credit as a piece of hardware when really most of the cred should go to the pilot, etc.
Last edited by YokozunaBulldozer on Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Darkhound Noir

Greetings Gundam Meisters

I was curious as to what physical features of mechs are your most favorite/least favorite?

Example: My favorites have to be arm mounted bullet firing cannons and/or wings that can fold up and extend. My least favorite has to be large knee pads like the Ex-S Gundam or Demonbane.
MCTDread

Happy New Year guys

Which military in ALL of Mecha Anime should wear the crown for Most Inept Military of ALL TIME?
YokozunaBulldozer

ALL AABOOOOOAAAAAARRRRRDDDD~~~ AYI YAI YAHHHHHHH

Grammys Mecha Royale season 2 WHO WILL WIN?! WHO WILL LOSE?!

- Perfect Gundam III REDDO WOHRIAH piloted by Gackt cosplaying Meijin Kawaguchi III

- Dancouga piloted by Mastodon aka the band on Metalocalypse

- Tauburn piloted by Prince

- Gypsy Danger piloted by Hall and Oates

- Black Getter piloted by Eminem

- SDF-1 Macross operated by AKB 48

- Back by popular demand Dairugger XV piloted by Wu Tang Clan and friends with ODB back again from the dead via some anime logic that people feel is justifiable

- Great Might Gaine Perfect Mode piloted by Ozzy Osbourne click for reference image
Last edited by YokozunaBulldozer on Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:52 am, edited 15 times in total.
kayone73

Happy 2015 guys! (Im guessing this email won't be read til March)

Anyway, I was thinking of the dreaded 'TV episode compilation movies' adapted from many anime TV shows to make a quick buck. Notable recent examples include the 4 Seed Destiny compilation films, the 2 Turn A films, the GiTS SAC films (Laughing Man & Individual 11). They're heavily edited, choppy, and often difficult to watch because of the nature of cramming 10-20 eps worth of story into 2 hrs.

Can you think of any clip show compilation movies that is remotely watchable on its own without having seen the original series?
jehuty29

Gundamn Crew

You've said in multiple podcasts that fans have to put their money where their mouth is and support a show they like by voting with their wallets. This leads me to my main question: does it matter what type of merchandise you buy when supporting a show? I'll admit that I often use the "methods" network to watch gundam. I do not buy much physical media and I've only purchased a couple of mecha series. However when I do like a gundam show, I'll buy a bunch of model kits from it. In your opinion, is this providing the same amount of support as buying dvds/blu rays of the series?
MCTDread

Lets play a game...

Kira Yamato goes insane one day and has a group of VIP hostages held in a fortress on an island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean... The island is guarded by an army of Strikes and Impulses, Kira’s Super Friends, and his bromance buddy Athrun. The mission is to save the hostages and to kill Kira Yamato in a final duel as he pilots his Strike Freedom.

Piloting an RX78-2 which one of these 80s Action Stars do you trust to save the hostages and end this madman’s tyrany?

Clint Eastwood
Bruce Willis
Arnold Schwarzenegger
Jean-Claude Van Damme
Steven Seagal
Bruce Lee
Harrison Ford

Chuck Norris sends his apologies, he could not come as he’s fighting to save Murica with Danny Trejo against invading aliens on the Moon.
Last edited by MCTDread on Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.
YokozunaBulldozer

HELLO
1. Chris, you are given the position of CEO at some big company under the condition that you have to have a certain song play while you march towards your office every morning(only this song) until your retirement. Which song out of the three below do you have playing?
a. Song 2 by Blur
b. Working For the Weekend by Loverboy
c. Merciless Soldier by Kageyama Hironobu which most of us know as "that M.D. Geist intro"

2. Suppose Setsuna was home alone and A-LAWS have infiltrated the Ptolemaios. What kind of traps will Setsuna set up in Home Alone 00 Awakening of the McAllister?

3. How would you make Gran Turino 2 starring Tomino Yoshiyuki?
Last edited by YokozunaBulldozer on Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:53 am, edited 6 times in total.
MCTDread

For the Empire!

Which character in all of Mecha anime deserves their own hour long talk show to talk about anything?
daigundam lagaan

O Hai Gais
After I made some comparisons between G-Reco and some Ghibli works, I wanna get some of your opinions on stuff regarding comparisons between fictional works themselves.
1. Have any of you made any comparisons that more people have disagreed with than agreed? If so, what are some of those comparisons?
2. What are some comparisons that you have heard that you disagree with or felt were completely wrong? Such as the comparison between Pacific Rim and Evangelion?
Still waiting on seeing those tears of time.
fearjunkee

Hey, Gundamn!

Since the Super Best Friends has recently wrapped up their second Mechaweek, I thought it would be fitting to do a mech video game lightning round.

1. Hawken or Titanfall?
2. Front Mission or Super Robot Wars?
3. Xenogears or Zone of The Enders?
4. Mechwarrior or Armored Core?
Saber

A serious and a not so serious question:

1) During the final battle of the 00 Movie the ELS begin to merge together to form mobile suits while the larger probes take the form of cruisers. What do you think is the reason they decided to change their physical state in this encounter? Personally, I have two theories on this:

a) With the Celestial Being ship having just punched a hole through the ELS main sphere, the ELS actually started perceiving humanity as a threat and transformed to increase their combat capabilities.

b) The ELS hivemind considered the possibility that the unknown race they had encountered was actually attempting to communicate with them by sending these colorful particle beams their way (just like how the ELS normally achieved understanding through assimilation). They reasoned that if they imitated the other species' way of interacting with them, they may actually be able to talk to them.

What do you think of these theories and how intelligent did you consider the ELS in general?

2) Does Meijin Kawaguchi III count as a masked man in your book? If so, where does he rank in the Gundam League of Masked Men?
fearjunkee

Neo,

Is 'I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream' in the Tomes? It's a short story (and also a point-and-click game) that features the scariest rogue AI ever written: the Allied Mastercomputer, aka AM. Give it a read, and realize that there's worse things than the robots ripping your face off.

(Fun fact, that 'Hate, let me tell you how much I've come to hate you since I began to live' quote I submitted for the Old Timey is a quote from AM.)
YokozunaBulldozer

HOWDY
1. What is your Tomino Name? Example would be Turbo Brocken the descendant of Turbo from Breakin and Breakin 2: Electric Boogaloo.

2. If the SD Gundam franchise did SD Gundam Lethal Weapon in the vein of Sangokuden which mobile suit would be who? Joe Pesci, Danny Glover, Mel Gibson are mandatory.

3. Who would win in a guitar battle, Ned Bucky... sorry, Nekki Basara, or Guitar Guy from Mad Max Fury Road?
Last edited by YokozunaBulldozer on Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
zero_the_masked_knight

Hi, Gundamn! Crew,

My first ever Gundamn! lightning round.

1) Ice cream or Gelatin?
2) Toast or Mashed Potatoes?
3) Asian Dragon or European Dragon?
4) Destiny or Voyager?
5) AGE or Enterprise?
6) Saito or Neil Dylandy (No Dynames)?
7) The Major, or Seven of Nine?
8) James Gordon or Daisuke Aramaki?
9) Kenji Kawai, or Yoko Kanno?
10) Haro (00 Edition Only), Tachikoma, or R2-D2?
11) Real Kirk, or Bright?
12) Your choice of game peripheral to control a giant robot?
13) Would you rather have an immortal, ageless body or have your consciousness wander the internet forever?

Take care.
Seeing people for who they are; not who you think they are, not what you want them to be. Seeing someone unconditionally, without paranoia, without prejudice, without stereotypes, without fear...That's what "love" is.
"Love" is looking into a person's eyes and seeing a soul.