Chaos Theater Mailbag Drop Box

MAHQ's general podcast for nerdy things, which ran from 2011-2017.
Mu La Flaga

Re: Chaos Theater Mailbag Drop Box

Hey guys just a 2 quick entries this time.
1.Do you guys ever read any gaming related magazines at all?
If yes what do you read and do you look for anything particular?

I read Retro Gamer Uk(some newsagencies over here import it and I get it at times) which focuses on older titles for Arcades and more but also have reviews on some newer cool stuff that comes out also like remakes or reviews of old stuff, so as to keep a balance.
I really enjoyed the issue they had on Axelay for SNES lots of detail and all.

2.Going off on a small related tangent to an answer for a question in episode 5 of Chaos Theater mailbag related to model work in films or series ect.

I was wondering if you guys are familliar with the special effects work of Derek Meddings and his contributions to movies and tv series?
If not here is the quick list of notable things he has done.
Thunderdbirds(and the 2 movies they made), Stingray, Captain Scarlet, Batman(the 1989 movie), Superman movies(ones with Christopher Reeves) and last but not least the James Bond movies, Goldeneye being his last work.

I've enjoyed seeing his work evolve over time.
From Thunderbirds to Captain Scarlet there was a notable improvement,
he did alot of model work for models of vehicles, buildings and how they go down or explode or get damaged(in various destructive ways), flying vehicle thrust, ect. it was just so well done for that time(1965-1967 when those Gerry Anderson works were made).

Then in Goldeneye those MIGs crashing in to the dish and all that was all his handiwork yet it looked so good and realistic.
Also I think with Star Wars, the model work looks good because it gives a sense of scale, depth and detail CG can't quite match yet at all.

For instance to me, the Star Destroyers in Empire Strikes back and Return of the Jedi, more so Empire Strikes Back, since you also had AT-ATs.

If want to cut to the chase and jump over the wall of text Chris, are you guys familliar with special effects work Derek Meddings has done accross a few tv series and movies?
So what are your opinions of him and his works?
To me he is just very good at what he did, like Stan Winston.

That is all I've got this time.
Thank you.
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:28 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Mekton GM

Often game francises complement their original storys for the games with books that are produced with the games rather than being an after thought, often referanceing past events in the game or even interactions with the main storys.

The few that come to mind are in the Mass Effect Universe:
Mass Effect: Revelation explains Saren and Anderson's history and the reason for the bad blood between them.
In Mass Effect 2 the reason the Quarions dont trust Curberus is detailed in the second Mass Effect novel "Assention" when an autistic biotic child is rescued from a Curberus experiment by a nurse and they seek refuge in the Migrent Fleet.

This whole meta story telling kinda reminds me of the Seed/Astray effect but dosent force the side material to be required reading.
Last edited by Mekton GM on Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Great great great great great great great great grandfather of HOWARD MASON!!!!!!
Xbox Live Gamertag: Anubis214
Mu La Flaga

Hey Chaos Theatre.
(insert Team Rocket impersenation here)
Prepare for trouble and make it double!, double for the questions anyway just got 2 questions.

1.Of the Monster related series/franchises of Pokemon and Digimon.
Which one do you like or prefer more out of those 2?

I myself anime wise and concept wise prefer Digimon, it was far more interesting in some aspects and the anime is much better then Pokemon's reptetive formula anime wise.(and yep obvious in joke I had to put in there at the top, I will say Team Rocket ALWAYS made it interesting or funny to watch)
The first 3 seasons I loved, season 4 of Digimon I was really put off on that one though.

Pokemon though game wise I like more so on average, I got the Soul Silver Remake for DS and it got me back in to the series again and I love it.

2.What are your opinions on the Back to the Future movies?
I love all 3 of them, but I tend to like them in this order of Back to the Future Part 2, Back to the Future and Back to the Future Part 3, but I should say I consider part 3 about the same level as part 1, because in essence it continues on from part 2 and still has small links to part 1.
Just one of the most awesome series of comedy scifi movies not to mention the Doc aka Christopher Llyod I love him in a handfull of movies I know he appears in.(another being "Who Framed Roger Rabbit")

Not to mention it's almost 2015, where are those Hoverboards or flying cars yet? :P
So what are your thoughts on the movies?

Look forward to your answers and thanks in advance.
Am enjoying Chaos Theater alot as a podcast(along with Gundamn by the way), so keep it up guys.
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
snoops619

Which incarnation of The Doctor has been your favorite? What did you think of the most recent season/series/whateverwordyoufancyusing and the decision to split it? Any speculations for the next part (maybe the tardis will get a mid-season upgrade complete with chest cannon, disco guns and gold beam-reflective coating)?

Sorry for the triple question post but I have to make a start on catching up Mu La Flaga...
3,000,000,000 points. I can almost taste the brownies.
prince_of_zeon

First of all, I hate you both now for getting me addicted to One Piece. :?

Second of all, fantastic podcast! :D

Now, to get onto the actual question at hand: What are your impressions of Zelda: Skyward Sword thus far? Are you not into the art style? Do you think the new precision control scheme will be good for the franchise? In the E3 coverage, were you more excited by the info from this game or the HD Zelda trailer on the WiiU? Why?
Twat me: http://twitter.com/#!/Podsyboy

Subscribe/comment me: http://www.youtube.com/user/AlphaAeizeru

Did Fats Goodman really die at the end of "Fats' Counterattack?"
hotlimit

Hey guys, love the podcast. I thought I'd ask a few fantasy-related questions to offset some of the sci-fi stuff you've been talking about:

1. Have either of you read any Terry Pratchett (Discworld)?

2. Also, have either of you read/played the Lone Wolf gamebooks?

These are just two series I had fun with growing up, and it'd be cool if either of you could say a few words on them. Otherwise, keep up the good work!
jcncasval76

nice job on the last episode on Batman the Animated Series, and with relation to that subject, I hope if you guys would think of an episode called "Lock-Up" as a stinker episode or a sleeper. For me, that episode was a bit perplexing as the main character Lyle Bolton catches the city officials yet he believes truth & justice. On a somewhat related question, would you be able to think of any characters from animated series that has such type of personality?

Jeff
San Francisco, CA
Please don't make me quoting certain wrestlers' catchphrases (What?!) or you don't want to find out how nasty it gets (What?!). Tell me you didn't just say that (What?!)
sakurangel

hi guys 2 question.
1- have you ever read or watch the series deltora quest? it was on the HUB but was removed for not reason...

2- you know the popularity of the series twilight right? well did you know a series call INMORTAL that is about inmortal teenage vampire falling in love with mortal female teenage? sound familiar?
Yuri lowenthal- "Angel Lopez(sakurangel) you are the manliest man I ever meet"
Alexis Tipton- "angel is was nice meet you"
TheGoose

1.Yo guys! I'm feeling masochistic and thought it would be fun to ask to about a topic that should leave any gamer feeling a little hurt (so sorry in advance). Which leads me to ask my question: what is the worst video game you've ever played?

For me, I would pick Bubsy 3D for the orignal Playstation. The graphics for that game is so bad, I can't tell what I'm supposed to do or where I'm supposed to go. Bubsy, the main character of the game, is super annoying with his stupid one-liners. Also, the music sounds like someone badly playing a broken keyboard.

2. Pedro, have you read any American comic books? If so, what ones? Do you have any favorites?

3. Excluding the Daleks, what is your favorite monster/alien from Doctor Who?

4. Do you think the upcoming game, Mass Effect 3, should show Tali's face?

5. Finally, what do you guys think of TV show, the Simpsons? I used to be a big fan of it when I was tween and teen, but after season 13, I have stopped watching it. I think I'll go back and see how the latest episodes are to see if the show has gotten some of it's quality back. At the very least, I should go back and collect the season box sets or watch the ones I have now since I need more humor in my life.
Last edited by TheGoose on Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:23 pm, edited 14 times in total.
awesome78

Hey guys really enjoying your podcast right now and I have some questions for you:

1) Have any of you watch any shows from the Yu-Gi-Oh franchise and if so what are your thoughts about them.

2) When playing an open world game do you like it when the world is like a sandbox where you can do anything that you want in the game where your action does not affect the world in a major way like Grand Theft Auto or Saints Row, or do you like games that when you make a decision within the world there is a big consequence to how you play the rest of the game like Fallout or Mass Effect. Personally I like the more sandbox gameplay because I find it more fun out of the two when you can whatever the hell you want but what are your thoughts on it?

3) Who is your dream anime waifu.
Devil_Survivor
Location: Fat's Goodmen's base preparing for Fat's Counterattack

Hi Chaos Theater Crew,

This is my first post on mecha talk and I thought I make it here in the Chaos Theater mailbag. Since in the past you mentioned you have watched Camelot and Game of Thrones, I wanted to know what you thought about the other royal dramas like Rome, The Tudors, The Borgias, and Merlin? Have you seen the 1993 series Bots Master? Its kinda of an intelligent "kids show" like Exo squad, Gargoyles, and Batman. Thanks and talk to to you soon.
This movie has a beginning, a middle, a end, and explosions.... and is not a giant blow job to the U.S. military. -Chris, on Transformers 3.
Mu La Flaga

Hey Chris and Predo.
Questioning the mysteries of the universe, aka Mu, aka noted aggitator/mailbag contributor
Got only one long question and a short question for Chris this time,
will try not to drag it out too much, will try to shorten it this time to expand on my mailbag entry for episode 8.
The first one is more so for Pedro, but if you want to answer it as well Chris feel free to, unless you want to trim time down.

Question 1
In relation to Soul Calibur, what are your fav characters to use gameplay style/weapons and in terms of character in game story?

Here are mine(in terms of gameplay and story at least during 3 )
Story wise:

Talim
Zasalmel (He was the main driving force of the story)
Mitsurugi
Taki
Nightmare
Siegfried
Cassandra (her story was just plain funny)

Gameplay wise

Talim
Cassandra
Zasalmel
Taki
Yun-Seung
Olcadan

I tend to play best with Talim, Zasalmel, Taki and Olcadan most of all though out of the ones listed(in that order)
Pedro and Chris your turns.

Finally a quick note on the games and opinions on them, SC2(very good but it lacks some small things to me and has bad voice acting), SC3(it was my first and enjoyed it more then 2 despite it's flaws, additional things and new characters added to the mix made it more fun, create a soul and the RPG like mode and great voice acting, Crispin Freeman as Siegfired), Broken Destiny(Stripped down version of 4)

Question 2
Chris you said in episode 9's mailbag answers you played Pokemon Fire Red GBA remake, if you enjoyed it, can I recommend Soul Silver or Heart Gold or do you already have your eyes on one of those games?

I will say the one gripe I have with the remakes in this day and age with Nintendo and WiFi, the mystery gift downloadable things were limited time events, one of my main gripes in this day and age, it's not like PSN or XBox Live DLC is limited time available stuff.

That is all I've got, thanks guys.
Sorry for adding to pile too much previously, the mailbag was kind of a ghost town at times.
Inlcuding the obligatory tumbleweed.
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:48 am, edited 7 times in total.
kayone73

Chris & Pedro great job on this podcast so far, my questions:

1. Have either of you seen Danny Boyle's Sci Fi film Sunshine and if so what are your thoughts. I'll tell you that I think it's one of the best 2/3rds of a scifi film of all time. I just wish the whole film could have been consistently great and despite it's flaws I bought the bluray and still watch the first 2/3rd of it repeatedly.

2. Also as fans of Doctor Who, especially the current version, you have guys seen the recent Steven Moffat produced remake of Sherlock, starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman? I watched the first miniseries and thought it was pretty damn amazing, translating the Sherlock character really well into the 21st century and using things like cell phones as integral parts of the story, also Freeman actually portrays Watson much closer to his book version as a wounded badass.
Last edited by kayone73 on Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
angelwingzero

Hey guys, love the show. A lot of the anime I've been watching lately is mecha, aside from Fullmetal Alchemist and all of One Piece thanks to you guys. My question: Is there any non-mecha anime out there on the level of say Cowboy Bebop or Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. out there that I can check out? English or Japanese doesn't really matter.
"So he's wearing an all black pilot suit and you put him in the CRAZY MACHINE. In the mental state that he's already in, does that seem like a good idea?" - My favorite Chris quote.
sakurangel

HI! Pedro, Chris a nerdy question is about to be ask, so if you want to skiped and never readed is ok...

Have you ever watch the dungeon and dragons animated series? if so... waht did you think about the series? and what are you opinion in the infamous episode 28( only the scrip was created but never animated)?
Yuri lowenthal- "Angel Lopez(sakurangel) you are the manliest man I ever meet"
Alexis Tipton- "angel is was nice meet you"
snoops619

Are you guys big on music? If so, what sort of artists/genres are you favorite? Any little know bands that you've found that you think people should know about?

What are your views on the animated comedies such as Family Guy etc? I know on Gundamn! that Chris has registered some disinterest with the offerings from Adult Swim.

And as a final question, what is your perfect Sunday? (I jest. See the film "Hot Fuzz" to get the reference).
3,000,000,000 points. I can almost taste the brownies.
kayone73

This isn't really a question but it relevant to both your interests since you're doing a Doctor Who podcast in the near future, as well as any fans of the show.

Chris Hardwick is doing another live podcast recording of the Nerdist down in San Diego the weekend of Comic Con and tickets for the event are for sale (venue is NOT in comic con but somewhere else in downtown San Diego) and having BOTH Matt Smith and karen Gillam as guest stars. Convinient since Hardwick has already had Matt on before for his podcast during the filming of the 'America' episode and they were both guests on the Craig Ferguson show. There's a link to purchasing tix at Ticket Master if you have any thoughts of booking a last minute $$$$ flight to San Diego or already plan to attend comic con.

http://www.nerdist.com/2011/07/matt-smi ... e-at-sdcc/
Mu La Flaga

Hey guys
Not much but just some general gaming related questions for you guys.

1.(Recycling this entry)
Do you guys read any gaming related magazines?
I read retro gramer and it's right up my alley for games of old, remakes, reviews on new stuff also and arcade games, so they cover lots of games and give opinions with fair detail and also have a youtube channel and other such fun things.

2.I'm curious if you guys have any games you plan to hunt down on older systems on ebay or where ever you go to buy older games?
For me I find myself doing this sometimes, systems I tend to be looking for games are SNES, PS1 or PS2(the fun of a mod chipped PS2, side note)

2 games i recently got hold of were X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse, Captain America and the Avengers for SNES.

2 games I plan to get eventually Super Metroid, Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.
I did also see a copy of Marvel Superheroes: War of the Gems, buy it now for like $300 AU (roughly the same or a little more in US $, ouch!)

I currently have roughly at least 50 SNES games in total on last count, even if I threw out Shaq-Fu(gladly and I disposed of it on ebay)

So that is all I've got for you guys, curious to hear your answers.
Hell Pedro had his lucky find of Chrono Trigger he mentioned.
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no_zaku

Only one question and a comment.

Question: Do you guys read any space opera or hard sci-fi like David Weber's Honor Harrington series or David Drakes LT Leary series? if so what do you read or why don't you read any.

Comment: why Sisko rules

Q: You hit me! Picard never hit me!
Sisko: I'm no Picard.

Keep up the good work and hope to see a B5 episode soon
Shinigam_Newtype

Hey Chris and Pedro,
Just thought I'd drop my first question for this podcast.

In previous episodes, you've both given lists and lists of all the anime you watch, books you read and video games you play, doing at least 3 of each during any given period of time.
Assuming you're both men that have full time jobs, websites to run as well as lives to live, my question is; just where do you guys find the time to balance all these activities?

Thanks and keep up the awesome podcasting!
"I'm not as impatient as you, I can wait for humanity to learn and grow" - Amuro Ray.

PSN ID: Shinigam_Newtype
3DS Friend Code: 4468 0954 9080