Bootleg Gunpla?

Discuss models, figures, Blu-rays and more.

Did u like to buy bootleg-branded gunpla?

Yup!
17%
Nope!
17%
Not really sure
22%
Are u nuts buying bootleg gunpla?
43%

Total votes: 23
mangyver5223

Bootleg Gunpla?

what is your opinion when someone buying bootleg-branded gunpla? :?
from a simple but effective man,

GYVER5223 :lol:
mangyver5223

Re: Bootleg Gunpla?

if have any experiences bout it please tell.

blind_dead_mcjones

haven't had any experience with knock offs and i'm gonna keep it that way, especially after reading and hearing about the substandard quality plastic and such
Flag Fighter for life!
mangyver5223

:D I have many experinces in buying bootleg Gunpla. The brands of bootleg-branded gunpla are TT Hongli , LW Dragon, Model GD and Ben Di. The worst in terms of plastic quality are Ben Di while the best are TT Hongli.

Dark Duel

Found a bootleg NT1 at Wal-Mart once and grabbed it b/c I didn't realize it was a bootleg.
I spent two hours trying to deal with the crappy plastic and substandard stickers trying to put it together before I gave up and decided I would KILL IT WITH FIRE. Which I did.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Red Comet90

Dark Duel wrote:Found a bootleg NT1 at Wal-Mart once and grabbed it b/c I didn't realize it was a bootleg.
I spent two hours trying to deal with the crappy plastic and substandard stickers trying to put it together before I gave up and decided I would KILL IT WITH FIRE. Which I did.
That's funny since the Gundam Wing 1/144 kits made me want to do the same thing and they weren't boot legs. :lol:
The proof of our might will forever be etched in your minds.

-- Haman Karn
Gone Astray

Red Comet90 wrote:
Dark Duel wrote:Found a bootleg NT1 at Wal-Mart once and grabbed it b/c I didn't realize it was a bootleg.
That's funny since the Gundam Wing 1/144 kits made me want to do the same thing and they weren't boot legs. :lol:
Ten years ago, when Wing had just come over and I was really getting into Gunpla, I received a bootleg Mercurius as a gift from my father because neither of us knew what to look out for in identifying legitimate and knock-off products. I had parts break on my while I was cutting them off the sprues.

KS is apparently Bandai's Korean branch, but the KS 1/100 G-Falcon I have is easily bootleg quality, what with poor fit, an incorrect manual, and nuclear green parts in place of the gold and red. I only get my models through Gundam Store & More now, so as to avoid the issue of getting bootlegs; I don't have the patience to deal with junk quality and I want to help show Bandai that they've got a Gundam fanbase outside of Japan.
"For who would lose, though full of pain, this intellectual being--those thoughts that wander through eternity; to perish rather, swallowed up and lost in the wide womb of uncreated night, devoid of sense and motion?"
quasadra

i brought a bootleg Zeta Plus A1. just getting into gunpla back then, i have no idea how to differentiate them... i think you guys can imagine the horror... :wink: :P

now, i just avoid bootleg all together.
SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SEA IGN: 8bitNPC
mangyver5223

Emmm...... I prefer to buy bootleg TT Hongli gunpla because its almostly 90% similarity like Bandai ones. I bought TT Hongli HGUC Nu Gundam, its truely fit and unspoilt easily......
I think that Bootleg gunpla is suitable for newbies in gunpla hobby and those who had not enough money to buy original ones because its outstanding cheap price mainly....... did u hear about this TT Hongli Brand at ur place? :) :D :lol:

Duo

mangyver5223 wrote:Emmm...... I prefer to buy bootleg TT Hongli gunpla because its almostly 90% similarity like Bandai ones. I bought TT Hongli HGUC Nu Gundam, its truely fit and unspoilt easily......
I think that Bootleg gunpla is suitable for newbies in gunpla hobby and those who had not enough money to buy original ones because its outstanding cheap price mainly....... did u hear about this TT Hongli Brand at ur place? :) :D :lol:
Umm... sooo you'd rather buy and recommend that others buy bootleg Gunpla...?

Wow... just wow... surprised this thread isn't locked yet due to rule 2 infraction...
"TAG ALONG ON MY JOURNEY INTO HELL!"
"Momma said real men don't cry..."
"The God of Death is Back from Hell!"
-Duo Maxwell - Shinigami
mangyver5223

:shock: not really encourage others to buy bootleg gunpla, but did u think that all people love gunpla are came from wealthy people? they have option whether take risk to buy bootleg ones or original ones. it like you got what u paid........ try to visit youtube website and type TT Hongli...... you'll find many reviews bout TT Hongli Gunpla........

:cry: for me, it hard to afford Bandai ones but I have taken the risk and got consequenses from it.....

porkiewpyne

Got a bootleg one once. Duel assault shroud. plastic was flimsy, there were missing parts, some parts could not fit, torso kept dislodging from waist, it could not stand upright..... need i say more? The only 'consolation' is that many come with freebies such a VCD/DVD
( mine came with a few ep of Gundam Seed Destiny) or many of them are of the special edition. Eg i have seen bootleg Strike Freedom with the blue stand, Freedom + extra finish.... at a fraction of the price. It's a price any one who intends to get into this hobby has to pay.
mangyver5223

looks like all of gunpla buyers have negative feedback .for me,there are quality bootleg that not crashed easily if u clever in choosing it

mangyver5223

:roll: any comments on bootleg gunpla?

mangyver5223

Duo wrote:
mangyver5223 wrote:Emmm...... I prefer to buy bootleg TT Hongli gunpla because its almostly 90% similarity like Bandai ones. I bought TT Hongli HGUC Nu Gundam, its truely fit and unspoilt easily......
Umm... sooo you'd rather buy and recommend that others buy bootleg Gunpla...?

Wow... just wow... surprised this thread isn't locked yet due to rule 2 infraction...
:cry: wow such headsick.........everbodybody looks bootleg in negative way??? may from long time ago experince for it is'n it?

Dark Duel

The issue isn't just that bootlegs are substandard quality, which the vast majority are.
The issue is that they're products that are unauthorized by the real manufacturer - and thus illegal. What's more, Rule 2 of the forum states:

2. No posting of links or discussion of illegal media is allowed on the forums. This includes fansubs, mp3s, ROMs, manga scanlations, bootlegs and related downloads. If this isn't clear enough to you, that means DO NOT post BitTorrent links, YouTube fansub links, etc of any of the media listed above. Posting of links to official media is permitted.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Fignuts

I'd rather pay the money for the real thing, tbh.
mcred23

For the Rule 2 thing, that is mainly directed at anime/manga/other media, although I guess it could/should also apply to gunpla and other toys. However, we've had assorted discussions on bootleg/knock off kits and figures before (How to spot them, how bad they are, "lol look at this V ripoff I found in the dollar store!", etc), so I'll let this thread continue to slide for the time being (As long as it continues as it has; Start asking where to get these knock offs online and it will get closed).

Mod duty aside for now, I've personally seen some bootleg kits/figures here and there (Places like dollar stores or Walgreens, non-toy stores with some crappy little toy sections like those), but never actually purchased them (Although I did consider it at the times, mainly for kicks). Knowing what they are, I'd almost expect them to fall apart just trying to get them out of the box (Granted, some official Gunpla does that anyway; I'm looking at you, GFF GM Sniper Custom! :x). When gunpla was plentiful, there was no need to go for the knockoffs. Now that it isn't, when I do want to get things (Which happens once every other year or so, at this point :roll:), it's usually something I really want, so I'll splurge for the real deal.

So, in short, I never had a real reason or desire to get the unofficial things. Combine that with their largely bad reputations (Although IIRC, there was some positive comments on the TT Hongli kits in a previous thread), and me saving my money for other stuff (Video games, Wendy's, hidden volcano base in Japan), I've never gotten any and likely never will.
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Guiltaur

As someone relatively new to the model kit hobby, my view is probably pretty naive but I find that I usually get what I pay for.

A lot of people seem to really bash Bandai but despite any flaws, I think their Gundam model kit products much more often than not deliver good quality materials and have good product design. The oldest model kit I have is the 08th MS Team set of the RX-79(G) Gundam and MS-06J Zaku II models from 1996 and the newest model kit I have is the HGUC RX-0 Unicorn Gundam(Unicorn Mode) model. I have assembled over a dozen of other HG and MG model kits covering the span of years between 1996 to 2009 so I do have some idea of the advancement of Gundam model kits by Bandai throughout the last 13 or so years.

I don't have any experience with bootleg model kits but I've seen some video reviews of such products and while they are less costly than an official model kit, it seems like the purchaser is "paying" extra in other ways such as lower quality of materials, more errors in the alignments/fitting of parts, and having to put in extra work to make the model "work" as well as an official model kit.

Now with that being said, I'm not saying "Down with bootleg merchandise!" or that I'm a zealous Bandai supporter. My concern is having a good experience with my hobby and so far, the official product route is working very well for me. I haven't come across a model kit I hated. There are flaws, certainly, but when I look back on the level of design and quality of the 08th MS Team model kit and compare it to the models I've assembled afterwards, I haven't seen any indication of model designs going back a step.

My one constant criticism of Bandai is, though, their seemingly arbitrary design decisions for model kits. I really don't understand, for example, omissions of clear plastic beam saber blades in some of the relatively newer HG model kits like the Exia and its variations. The RX-0 Unicorn Mode model has a really innovative neck component, which I believe is not present in the Destroy Mode version of the model and there's no reason I can think of why Bandai couldn't have implemented that design feature.

Going back to bootlegs...are resin conversion kits that aren't made by B-Club licensed or are they also bootleg merchandise?
Geoxile

http://plamo.outthere.info/forum/showth ... p?tid=7419

Here, a review of some models a Plamo forum bought.

TT Hongli models are pretty good, even Prime92 attests to their quality compared to the price. I'd personally take the risk when buying in bulk, for TT Hongli anyway, their kits are excellent quality for 1/2 to 1/4 of the price sometimes.

As for resin kits? ALL recasts are basically bootlegs. They're copies of the originals without permission. The companies will have resin casting and retail shops that have certified seller labels like e2046 for example but if they don't it's a bootleg.

Needless to say I don't have much of a preference for company loyalty so if it's good and cheap I'll probably get it.