Queries On Super Robot Wars

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Queries On Super Robot Wars

Going back through the SRW anime and I'm going to post some questions here, as I come up with them, of things I can't find the answers to.

1. After the events of The Inspector, the next game to continue the story should be SRW OG Gaiden, yes?

2. Who is Kouta Azuma?

3. Who are the Cry Wolves?

4. Is the stuff that happens in the original SRWOG OVA related to gaiden?
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
AmuroNT1

Re: Queries On Super Robot Wars

1. Ignoring the weird continuity of the SRW timeline (see below), yes, Gaiden comes after Inspector.

2. Kouta is a human teen who bonded with the spirit of the legendary hero Warrior Roar and can transform into Fighter Roar, pilot of the Compatible Kaiser. He shows up in OG Gaiden, which adapts the plot of Roar's origin series, the Great Battle (except for the part where he teamed up with Gundams, Kamen Riders, and Ultramen).

3. The Cry Wolves are an elite Special Forces division lead by Albero Est and including his son Foglia and Hugo Medio (the male protagonist of SRW MX). They play into the backstory of MX, but appear in person in OG Gaiden in order to set Hugo up for the re-creation of MX's plot in 2nd OGs.

4. The events of the OVA were actually adapted into a few story missions in OG Gaiden, but with some plot changes.

For more depth, here's an explanation of the whole SRW OG "canon"...
-2002: Original Generation 1
-2005: Original Generation 2, followed shortly after by the OVA.
-2006: Divine Wars, the anime adaptation of OG1.
-2007: Original Generations (note the plural), which merges and expands upon OG1 and OG2. OG Gaiden came out later that same year.
-2008: Endless Frontier, a side game by the team behind Namco x Capcom and Project X Zone. Worth mentioning here because some characters (namely, Axel and Alchemie) show up.
-2010: The Inspector, the anime adaptation of OG2. Additionally, Endless Frontier EXCEED is released.
-2012: 2nd Original Generations, technically the third full game in the series.

What makes OG continuity kinda murky is that there's not a clearly delineated version of events between the adaptations (rather like Kawamori saying the "true" version of Macross lies somewhere between the TV series and DYRL?). Little bits of continuity seem to leak between games and anime. For a minor example, in the original games a lot of characters didn't use pilot suits; Divine Wars added them in, and as a result they show up in OGs and all subsequent games. For a larger example, Axel Almer's personality underwent a complete shift from unrepentant douche in OG2, to noble demon in OGs, and finally undergoing a complete face-turn in Inspector and 2nd OGs. Even more confusingly, 2nd OGs actually takes some elements of The Inspector as opposed to OGs's. And let's not even get into what happened to the poor Huckebeins...
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Destiny_Gundam

Well SRW can always pull the "it's a parallel universe" card to handwave continuity issues like that. Still, there are 4 distinct timelines:

GBA timeline: OG1 -> OG2 -> OVA

Anime timeline: Divine Wars -> The Inspector

HD timeline: OGs -> Gaiden -> 2nd OG

Manga timeline: Record of ATX -> Record of ATX The Inspector

There are still some issues in the game timelines, namely which of the different branching paths you take, but the major one is who you start OG1 with. I'm not sure if this is officially verified or not, but it's generally accepted that Ryusei's OG1 route is canon.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Wingnut

Destiny_Gundam wrote:There are still some issues in the game timelines, namely which of the different branching paths you take, but the major one is who you start OG1 with. I'm not sure if this is officially verified or not, but it's generally accepted that Ryusei's OG1 route is canon.
Personally I believe that both routes are canon until they merge halfway through the game during that mock battle, then Ryusei's takes over.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Arbiter GUNDAM

AmuroNT1 wrote: in the original games a lot of characters didn't use pilot suits; Divine Wars added them in, and as a result they show up in OGs and all subsequent games.
That's probably why Aya and Villeta's suits look more like swimsuits with fancy shoulderpads. :D
And let's not even get into what happened to the poor Huckebeins...
I've heard the popular fan rumour is that the Huckebeins don't appear in the anime because they look too Gundam-like.

1. Who is Aqua Centolm?

2. Why did they have Wendolo get infected by the Einst in the anime? That wasn't what happened in the game, right?

--Freyja Wion
AmuroNT1

It's unconfirmed but since Sunrise was apparently the complainer and the new Exbeins lack the more Gundam-y elements, that seems to be the case. On top of that, in 2nd OGs, the Huckebeins all get destroyed en masse with no apparent intent to rebuild them...

1) Aqua is the co-pilot and female lead from MX. She gets a cameo in OGs remarking on Lamia's skimpy clothing...which is a playful nod to the fact that her own uniform is even skimpier.

2) Afraid I didn't play OGs myself so I can't confirm, but The Inspector put a greater emphasis on the Einst, particularly turning Beowulf from just an alternate universe Kyosuke and Axel's rival into an actual enemy and a metaphorical monster.
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

Arbiter GUNDAM

Who are Raul Gureden and Fiona Gureden and how did they get aboard the Kurogane?

--Freyja Wion
AmuroNT1

The Guredens (ugh, I always preferred it as "Greydon") are the protagonists of Super Robot Wars R...kinda. See, in R, you could choose between which gender your protagonist was; in order to resolve that plot split in OG, they turned the two options into twin siblings.

Anyway, the main plot of R is about time travel; the heroes come from a "bad future" where everything went wrong, but then the engine of their mech overloads and sends them back in time, where their interactions with the anime characters end up fixing history (the game starts off with Char's Counterattack and the Nadesico movie, when you jump back you end up in the middle of Zeta and Nadesico TV, and your help not only prevents the movies from happening but gets the advanced mecha developed years earlier). In OG, this is kind of changed/amended into unintentional dimension travel to mesh better with things like the revised Advance plotline.

Arbiter GUNDAM

It's a wonder anyone is able to stay in their own dimension for more than five minutes. :D

--Freyja Wion
Arbiter GUNDAM

I'm reading this summary on SRWOG Gaiden but it's hard to get a lot of context because:

A-It's very minimal with it's descriptions.

B-Most of the characters have very bad romanizations to their name such as Bullet being called Brit and Seolla being called Zeora.

Plus the so-called SRW wiki doesn't have some of the mecha or their names are badly romanized as well. So...

1. What's the Mironga?

2. General Mauro?

3. Jiji?

--Freyja Wion
AceWhatever

MNeidengard's SRW plot summaries are generally meant to be read either alongside playing the game or after when you have an overall understanding of the setting. They're not line by line transcripts or have detailed descriptions of on screen events unfortunately. The author made it clear that he translates names as raw as possible and will never bother using the official namings, so for better or worse you'll have to get used to that.

I haven't played the PS2 OG games yet but my understanding is that the Mironga is a mech that debuted in the bonus missions of the OG1&2 remake as the prototype of the Bartools from the OVA.

No clue who Mauro and Jiji are so I'm assuming they're Gaiden exclusive characters.

Jiji seems to be the one at 29 seconds in this vid, and Mauro is probably the guy at 20:40 here
Destiny_Gundam

Moved to games since these questions have little to do with the anime.
Wingnut

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote: 1. What's the Mironga?
Prototype/predecessor to the Bartoll that shows up in the OVA/OG Gaiden.
The Gundam wiki

R.I.P., SDGO.
AmuroNT1

Yeah, as with a lot of franchises, the line between fan translations and official ones can make things kinda murky. The biggest example would probably be everyone's favorite evil-cleaving sword; the full name is "Dynamic General Guardian", but the pilot abbreviates it to "Daizengar", an appropriately Super Robot-y name. However, since the official romanization of the pilot's name is "Sänger" rather than "Zengar", it doesn't work anymore, and instead we got the more direct translation "DyGenGuar", which just lacks the panache of the original.

As for those specific characters, I'm afraid I can't provide a lot of information since they're pretty minor originals with no other game appearances, and most info about OG Gaiden was focused on the returning characters from games like Compact 3, Reversal, etc.

Arbiter GUNDAM

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Moved to games since these questions have little to do with the anime.
It's funny you do that since one of the next things I was going to say was, since it's now been five years since the Inspector anime, is it safe to assume that it's very unlikely that we'll get an anime based on Gaiden?

--Freyja Wion
AmuroNT1

Gaiden might be a little too short to get its own anime; I think it'd be much more likely for them to do an adaptation of 2nd OGs. What'd be really funny would be seeing how they handle the stage where the Huckebeins are destroyed, since it literally just had them sitting out on a tarmac when an enemy comes by and blasts them.

Destiny_Gundam

Well the whole reason The Inspector got made is because one of Terada's friends who encouraged him to do more anime died. So unless something drastic like that happens again, I doubt we'll see more.
Yaminoseigi

Hijacking post for some question, Are there any SRW that treat Char Counterattack's plot better than Alpha 2? seriously Char's final standoff in this game is quite epic
Wingnut

Yaminoseigi wrote:Hijacking post for some question, Are there any SRW that treat Char Counterattack's plot better than Alpha 2? seriously Char's final standoff in this game is quite epic
Arguably what they did in Z3 is one of the best as well, though it does have the advantage of essentially two Chars to work with and thus two points of view in the same character slot at the same time.
Spoiler
Axis is still sent towards Earth of course, but this time it's Full Frontal doing the throwing and Char being in the game from the Zeta movie rather than under his own movie banner, acts more like Quattro and breaks the 4th wall a bit by knowing that the Axis drop is a MASSIVE point in multiple histories across both the Gundam canon and SRW lore.
The Gundam wiki

R.I.P., SDGO.
Henyo

pitching in!!!

These series:
Voltes V
Daimos
Daltanious
Dragonar

how much of their plot was included in the Games that they appeared in?
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!