Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
VR7

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

I'm surprised. It's been a while but no one has ever brought up Metal Gear Solid V here for some reason.

Here's what you guys missed out on:

The game expands upon Peace Walker's base management system. Unlike past Metal Gear games, it will be open world and you will be free to tackle missions any way you want, even down to choosing the time of day and means of transportation to the target area.

No real world weapons unfortunately, and David Hayter has been replaced by Kiefer Sutherland as the voice of Big Boss.
Spoiler
Taking place in 1984, the game is a direct sequel to Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and focuses again on Big Boss as he seeks revenge on a paramilitary group known as the XOF, which was responsible for decimating the Militaires Sans Frontieres and depriving him of his left arm.
A prologue, Ground Zeroes, was released on March 18, 2014 for most consoles. Go play that if you haven't already.

Trailers. Watch out, it's much more graphic (I mean in the gory standpoint) than ever before.

The Phantom Pain teaser
GDC 2013 trailer (confirmed as Metal Gear Solid V)
TGS 2013 trailer
E3 2014 trailer
E3 2014 gameplay demo
Gamescom 2014 gameplay demo (same area, slightly different gameplay)

TGS 2014 is coming up shortly so more stuff will be inbound.
-noel
gunform1010

Re: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Also, Quiet has a phase-in tech of sort.
"Gunpla is freedom!" -Meijin Kawaguchi III

Love Live/Gundam Build Fighters semi-crossover/spin-off in works
VR7

You mean this?

In summary, what else is new:
  • Ocelot will be your main radio contact instead of Kazuhira Miller, though Miller will return. Ocelot's likeness (at least from what I can see) and voice is that of Troy Baker, the voice actor of Kanji Tatsumi in Persona 4 and Booker DeWitt in Bioshock Infinite.
  • The Japanese version may have English subtitles if Ground Zeroes is anything to go by. Akio Otsuka (the definitive Solid Snake voice) will still reprise his role as Big Boss.
  • Cardboard box functionality has been expanded. You can now disguise yourself as a sexy lady or wear your console's box over your head.
  • Relationships with other factions can have a lasting long term impact. Also using certain strategies will cause the enemy to adapt (i.e. if you use a lot of tranq headshots, enemies will wear helmets from now on in certain areas, etc.).
  • You have infinite Fultons now, but they cost GMP to use and you have to use them in ideal conditions (you can't just fulton people inside a building anymore, and poor weather can send the Fulton off course and you will lose captured soldiers/equipment). However, you can fulton anything and everything now, including heavy objects.
  • Mother Base updates in real time, and you can summon equipment on the fly for a price. Like in Peace Walker you can also summon boxes over people's heads. You don't use supply markers anymore but it still costs GMP.
  • The Mother Base component looks similar to Peace Walker but it looks like it was simplified a little bit (you don't have a kitchen division anymore, for example).
  • Mother Base is fully customizable now. No two bases will look the same anymore. You can also explore your own base, train with your soldiers, mingle with Ocelot and Kaz, etc.
  • The multiplayer component seems to consist of other players invading your base and stealing your stuff while you and your entire army hunt him down. You can do the same to other players. It is not known if this is related to Metal Gear Online 3, or if Co-Ops from Peace Walker will return.
  • If you don't have a PS3, 360, PS4 or Xbox One, that's okay. The game is also coming to Steam.
There's probably more but I can't think of anything else off the top of my head.
-noel
gunform1010

We'll get a new location at TGS 2014.

Lord Dearche

A release date seems to finally be close. Also Big Boss taking a selfie.
http://gematsu.com/2015/01/metal-gear-s ... nouncement

#Whoa hooooooooooooooooooo
Lord Dearche

WORLD WIDE RELEASE: SEPTEMBER 1

http://gematsu.com/2015/03/metal-gear-s ... eptember-1

What a surprise, once again IGN(orant) "accidentally" leaked something major because they're total attention whores.
gunform1010

Lord Dearche wrote:WORLD WIDE RELEASE: SEPTEMBER 1

http://gematsu.com/2015/03/metal-gear-s ... eptember-1

What a surprise, once again IGN(orant) "accidentally" leaked something major because they're total attention whores.
Quit it.
Spoiler
Seems legit: https://vid.me/mz9w

Lord Dearche

http://gematsu.com/2015/03/metal-gear-s ... -announced

Japan is getting a custom Diamond Dogs PS4. And it's an actual real custom PS4, not a damn tiny face plate change like the other some 50 available "custom" PS4s.

http://www.jp.playstation.com/info/rele ... ml?ref=rss
gunform1010

Lord Dearche wrote:http://gematsu.com/2015/03/metal-gear-s ... -announced

Japan is getting a custom Diamond Dogs PS4. And it's an actual real custom PS4, not a damn tiny face plate change like the other some 50 available "custom" PS4s.

http://www.jp.playstation.com/info/rele ... ml?ref=rss
This is very beautiful. I think I might cry. :oops:

J-Lead

So the Steam version apparently comes out 14 days after everyone else gets it.

I do not rike eet, Kojima-san.
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
gunform1010

J-Lead wrote:So the Steam version apparently comes out 14 days after everyone else gets it.

I do not rike eet, Kojima-san.
...oh come on what?

Lord Dearche

Quit whining. They said the PC version would release later than thte console version ages ago. (In the case of MGSVs development, literally ages ago). Plus the Steam owners will get all the extra DLC from the Limited collectors editions for free right off the bad.
gunform1010

Lord Dearche wrote:Quit whining. They said the PC version would release later than thte console version ages ago. (In the case of MGSVs development, literally ages ago). Plus the Steam owners will get all the extra DLC from the Limited collectors editions for free right off the bad.
Woo, compensation! :mrgreen:

Lord Dearche

There is a downside though. That PC version looks incredible. The fox engine itself is based on PC to begin with, Kojima simply lowers the specs in the early footage to match those of the PS4. So if you want to play Phantom Pains at it's max settings, You're going to need an insanely well off PC.
gunform1010

Lord Dearche wrote:There is a downside though. That PC version looks incredible. The fox engine itself is based on PC to begin with, Kojima simply lowers the specs in the early footage to match those of the PS4. So if you want to play Phantom Pains at it's max settings, You're going to need an insanely well off PC.
Oh god, at least maybe $1200 needed? D:< Have they released official specs yet?

Lord Dearche

To play at full spec, probably. But Kojipro will most likely plan ahead and allow you two lower the settings to let lesser PCs handle the game by turning off lighting, particle effects, and other visuals. That way weaker and standard modern PCs could handle it.
gunform1010

Lord Dearche wrote:To play at full spec, probably. But Kojipro will most likely plan ahead and allow you two lower the settings to let lesser PCs handle the game by turning off lighting, particle effects, and other visuals. That way weaker and standard modern PCs could handle it.
Isn't this a given? :P Still, I can't wait to see videos of it being maxed out totally.

Lord Dearche

So far everything we've seen is either directly from the PS4 dev kit or from the FOX Engine running off the PC to match the lower PS4 specs. But even the PS4 with it's lower specs looks ****ing amazing. The PC version at full specs will probably be mind blowing.

And even then, PC versions full specs still ahve to be within a certain level to allow most PC players to play it, not just the ones with super high end rigs. The FOX Engine running off of it's own original computers would probably be insanely high even for higher end rigs.
gunform1010

Lord Dearche wrote:So far everything we've seen is either directly from the PS4 dev kit or from the FOX Engine running off the PC to match the lower PS4 specs. But even the PS4 with it's lower specs looks ****ing amazing. The PC version at full specs will probably be mind blowing.

And even then, PC versions full specs still ahve to be within a certain level to allow most PC players to play it, not just the ones with super high end rigs. The FOX Engine running off of it's own original computers would probably be insanely high even for higher end rigs.
Probably. I mean, they can afford it lol.

I hope there's a map editor...

VR7

really bad news

http://www.destructoid.com/we-tried-to- ... 9369.phtml

There's been a massive fallout between Konami and Kojima Productions, it seems to have something to do with the need by Konami to consolidate and shift its production system to a more headquarters controlled system. Kojima Productions no longer exists as a company, and all of its members (literally everybody who has worked on the majority of Metal Gear Solid games) are now contractors rather than permanent Konami employees, including Hideo Kojima himself. In addition, the tagline "A Hideo Kojima game" has been removed from recent Metal Gear promotional material.

Development of Metal Gear Solid V will continue, but the rumour is that by December Kojima and his team will be leaving Konami for good, leaving Metal Gear Solid in the hands of a brand new and potentially untested and inexperienced team.
-noel