Phantasy Star Online 2

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
steeltamashii

Phantasy Star Online 2

Ok, so i've big a huge fan of PSO since the Dreamcast days, and hearing the news about this a few weeks ago was quite awesome IMHO. I'm posting here because i want to know who is going to get it when it comes out in the West in 2013, or if you have been playing the Japanese beta or release version. I recently acquired Blue Burst on my PC to start practicing up for this sequel too, so you can post your character names in case anyone wants to join together in a party.

(btw, my character is Ronazoran in case anyone is interested.)

For those who haven't gotten a chance to check out the awesomeness of said game you can visit the official website for it at:

http://www.pso2.com

So post below your thoughts and opinions on PSO2 or just PSO in general.
My personal blog: gusteeltamashii.tumblr.com
Watch Gamers Unrated LIVE on Wednesdays @ 3PM Eastern Time at:
www.royalcrownstudios.com/radio!
Also watch past episodes on YouTube:
www.youtube.com/user/GamersUnratedShow
And follow us on Twitter: twitter.com/gamersunrated
I am a HUcast. To know what you are take the quiz here.
Toxicity

Re: Phantasy Star Online 2

I know i'll be giving it a try once it comes west. I've only played the first PSO and PSU, i should really give the old sega games a try some day, i hear they're pretty good.
steeltamashii

Toxicity wrote:I know i'll be giving it a try once it comes west. I've only played the first PSO and PSU, i should really give the old sega games a try some day, i hear they're pretty good.
As someone thats owned every SEGA console, including some of the less popular ones like the Master System, i can tell you that the older SEGA games are some of the greatest games made, as long as you like certain styles of games. The games can range from extremely normal (like Sonic, Shining Force, Streets of Rage, Panzer Dragoon, and Burning Rangers) to extremely weird (like Seaman and Rez). If you're up for that, SEGA's classic library has alot for you to enjoy.

I played the DC PSO games (Episodes I and II) for a loooong time, and those i would say are the best in the series so far in my opinion. PSU and the Portable games were fun too, but they seemed alot easier than the Dreamcast games, so i didn't play them as long.
Outlaw

I've also played PSO since its inception (save for Blue Burst) and I will definitely play this one as well. I watched my brother play the JP version for a while and it looks like a blast to play and seems to do a decent job of combining the lessons learned from PSU-PSPortable with a PSO aesthetic. Sadly, I'm disappointed to see that the english speaking community doesn't seem to have changed much since the old days. :roll:
steeltamashii wrote:I played the DC PSO games (Episodes I and II) for a loooong time, and those i would say are the best in the series so far in my opinion. PSU and the Portable games were fun too, but they seemed alot easier than the Dreamcast games, so i didn't play them as long.
Honestly, I felt that by Portable 2 the Universe series finally managed to match or surpass PSO. I still like PSO and remember it fondly but, even back in the day it was a tad slow and clunky and by now it's a woefully dated experience. But that's just my take.
"“As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another."
steeltamashii

Outlaw wrote:I've also played PSO since its inception (save for Blue Burst) and I will definitely play this one as well. I watched my brother play the JP version for a while and it looks like a blast to play and seems to do a decent job of combining the lessons learned from PSU-PSPortable with a PSO aesthetic. Sadly, I'm disappointed to see that the english speaking community doesn't seem to have changed much since the old days. :roll:
steeltamashii wrote:I played the DC PSO games (Episodes I and II) for a loooong time, and those i would say are the best in the series so far in my opinion. PSU and the Portable games were fun too, but they seemed alot easier than the Dreamcast games, so i didn't play them as long.
Honestly, I felt that by Portable 2 the Universe series finally managed to match or surpass PSO. I still like PSO and remember it fondly but, even back in the day it was a tad slow and clunky and by now it's a woefully dated experience. But that's just my take.
I would definitely agree that the Dreamcast PSO games are extremely dated, and the Universe series had surpassed the original Dreamcast games on the technical level, but the much easier difficulty curve kind of killed a big chunk of the Universe series for me personally. I'm pretty excited that this new game kind of combines the two (the better flow of the PSU games with the difficulty curve of the DC PSO games) into one experience. I would say i think the Universe games were made with bringing in new blood to the franchise (which would explain the easier difficulty and improvements in overall game flow) so I can't rip on it too much. Bringing in new people keeps the franchise alive, and probably helped in a big way to bring PSO2 to the West.

I will say tho Outlaw, you should try out Blue Burst. I think the issues with the clunkiness in the DC version are fixed in BB, plus you get to try out Episode IV, which to my knowledge, isn't in any other PSO game to date.
Toxicity

I might get back onto the private server, i played on it a few years ago and had alot of fun with it, and now that i think back i'm not entirely sure why i quit in the first place. RaCast all day every day.
steeltamashii

Toxicity wrote:I might get back onto the private server, i played on it a few years ago and had alot of fun with it, and now that i think back i'm not entirely sure why i quit in the first place. RaCast all day every day.
If you do let me know. I'm on the private servers for Blue Burst now, since i can't get my Dreamcast to connect to the Internet anymore. I'd love to form a party with my MechaTalk homies. (Btw, RaMar and HuMar are my top classes, even tho the quiz thing in my sig says i'm a HuCast.)
Outlaw

I think my days of playing classic PSO are behind me. It got to the point where I almost never made it through the Caves without nodding off. No, that is not a joke, playing the Caves too long did put me to sleep.
"“As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another."
steeltamashii

I hear ya man. I don't blame you, I never liked the Caves. The Mine was pretty cool, and then the VR Spaceship from Episode II was pretty awesome as well. Hopefully i'll run into you on PSO2 when it comes out over here.
Toxicity

I attempted to install PSOBB earlier this week but didn't have any luck. It gave me some error message about my computer being x64. I'll try it again this weekend.
steeltamashii

Toxicity wrote:I attempted to install PSOBB earlier this week but didn't have any luck. It gave me some error message about my computer being x64. I'll try it again this weekend.
What version of Windows do you have? I know that BB has had some issues with 64-bit XP and Vista before.
Toxicity

Windows 7 x64 bit.

EDIT: Got it working. I guess I just clicked the wrong icon in the folder or something, cus when I went back to try again, it started right up without any problems. Weird. My character's name is Gottrlatan and I've just been selecting the first items on each of the ship/block menus. Look for "Gott's game" and feel free to join anytime, I'll typically be on during the evening hours of eastern time.

I've been trying to do all the episodic quests and stuff so I can get the full story out of the game, but I don't remember it being so vague and disjointed. Maybe I'm just doing the wrong ones (been doing the ones under the "Episode 1" category in the principal's office.

Does anyone know if PSO2 is going to be related to any of the previous PS titles, or is it going to have a totally new setting?
Varnis

I know I'm getting this game Day 1 and I'm excited to get myself a party as well ^_^
What more can i say? That's the way things are!
VR7

I was playing the Japanese version of PSO2 up until I got Persona 4: The Ultimate in Mayonaka Arena...

I have a Human Hunter on Ship 2, if anyone is interested in playing on the Japanese side. I might also make a character on the localized side too, but I'm more inclined to invest time and money on the Japanese side.
-noel
Toxicity

How does one go about getting onto the japanese servers?
Xenosynth

This site: http://bumped.org/psublog/pso2-guide-list/ , has plenty of wonderful guides for PSO2, covering everything from the sign up to applying english patches and so forth.
Outlaw

PSUblog is awesome for info, this mini wiki is also pretty nifty too. Keep in mind though that (last I heard) they weren't accepting overseas credit cards so, if you're planning on buying anything it'll be a slightly more complex and expensive process.
steeltamashii

It kind of sucks that all the servers aren't worldwide. Thanks for the link tho, I wanted to give PSO2 a try but had no idea how to go about it.
Toxicity

Seems like it's pretty easy to get onto PSO2 Japanese servers. I followed a guide on kotaku.com and I've got it installed and updating right now. I think all I have left to do is apply the english path then I'm all set to go.

EDIT: Yep, got it running, been playing for a couple hours now. I couldn't log in the first couple tries so I thought I'd already been found out for not being japanese or something, but it turns out the login is just case sensitive and I was capitalizing the first letter of my name. The english patch is helpful, but alot of the game is still in moonspeak, mainly item names and descriptions.
Outlaw

steeltamashii wrote:It kind of sucks that all the servers aren't worldwide.
It does, but having watched my brother run around an English speaking block for about five minutes I kinda understand why. :lol: