Project X (Cross) Zone

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
Mu La Flaga

Re: Project X (Cross) Zone

Actually the line up of games as of lately has been farily good, but I suppose for some people this is a systems selling game.
Destiny_Gundam

Hm, surprised no one has posted this in this thread since the game came out.

Anyways, I beat it awhile ago. While it is certainly fun to see all the various characters interacting, and it can be a pretty good gateway drug (I picked up God Eater Burst and watched the Valkryia Chronicles 3 OVA because of it), there's plenty to gripe about.

I wouldn't say the game ever got particularly hard, it just got pretty annoying. It eventually gets to a point where they just send a ridiculous amount of enemies at you, which usually includes 5 bosses and some mini-bosses. Each boss will pretty much do their special attack every other turn, moreso if you dare to attack them, and it'll take off about half a character's health. The way items work in this game, you don't want to use those unless you really have to so you'll always be running low on XP if you want to use skills for healing.

The story is kinda meh. It does incorporate some plots and elements from source games (Zero having to confront Iris, for example), but each level still amounts to "Where are we now?" -> "Haha, we're the bad guys!" -> "We just kicked your butts!" -> "Well I'm just going to spout out vague answers before running off!" It goes on like this until the last few stages.

It can take pretty long just to clear one stage (1.5-2 hours later on) so it's definitely a game to play in short bursts. It's still worth a play if you're a fan of any of the games featured, but I'd only rate it a 3, maybe 3.5 out of 5.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
yazi88

I actually prefer the prequel game Namco x Capcom over this game. That game was more story focused and only a few characters come from different universes rather than most of the cast in this game.

Plus there was more cross-over team-ups and team attacks which kept things interesting.

Still, I'm glad this game came out despite my reservation about cross-over games actually getting localized outside of Japan.