what do you do when painting through polycaps ?

Discuss models, figures, Blu-rays and more.
Dubbo

what do you do when painting through polycaps ?

Hi all.

Just wondering how do you guys usually handle polycaps that would be exposed on a gunpla. Do you:

1) Take the gunpla completely apart so much that you can spray paint all polycap in the gray color as well, then paint each piece individually before putting it all back in.

2) Spray Paint polycap the same color as the piece it's attached to.

3) Tap up as much of polycap as possible then spray paint the colored parts leaving polycap unpainted.

However, that made me think, if you paint polycap individually, then you would probably paint everything else piece by piece right ? if that's the case how do you use cement glue to seal seamlnes on painted pieces ?
Red Comet

The problem with polycaps is that paint doesn't like to bond to well with the plastic. I find that if you paint them, when you move the joints they are in pieces of the paint will come away. I tend not to worry about the socket joints too much because a lot of the time there aren't visible anyway.

Which kit are you working on at the moment so people can get a good idea on the pieces you want to paint?
dj898

only way to paint the poly cap is encapsulate it using the thin pla-plate.
You basically build the cage to put the poly cap inside thus you can paint the outside...

This is something done fairly often with old HG 1/144 kits...
Dubbo

Working on the super gundam MG at the moment, there is a lot of holes with gray polycaps that weapons or parts can attach to, and a couple of joints.

This question I think not only apply to polycaps but to any different colored joints on models, do you guys usually paint the joint, then mask it up, then paint rest of the part ?

I suppose I could just paint over all the polycaps with the same colour as the part it's on to be lazy but I will probably look over it everyday thinking geeze why didn't I spend just a few more hours to make it look nicer.

Also has anyone worked with this before ? this thing is hard to pose when combined with the G defenser, it keeps falling over.
dj898

that one's based on Mk-II ver 1.0.
If you can get Mk-II ver 2.0 and combined with the G-Defender...
Or put some CA on the joints - i.e. put a drop on the male part of joint and once completely dry will have stiffer joints...

For the polly cap exposed you could make the cover with male pin attached so you can pop into those holes...

Personally I don't bother really...