Best Unicorn/Banshee/Phenex?

Discuss models, figures, Blu-rays and more.
Mimeblade

Best Unicorn/Banshee/Phenex?

I've been thinking about it for a while now, and I really want to build my own kit of either Unicorn, Banshee, or Phenex.

I'm still relatively new to building kits, and I don't really know what's good... so I could use some advice on what to get, how to build it, and anything else.

I really like the idea of a transformable kit though, so I'd like that option if possible.

Thanks.

P.S. I'm also half tempted to scratch build my own custom psycommu frame colors, if possible.
Arsarcana

Re: Best Unicorn/Banshee/Phenex?

If you want your kit to transform, you'll want the MG of whichever RX-0 unit you fancy. However, they're obviously a lot more expensive and more complicated to build so if you want to try your techniques out on a starter kit first, you might want to consider picking up one of the 'Destroy Mode' HGUCs so you can play around with the psychoframe, then move up. Depends on your comfort level.

To get your own psychoframe colors, you can paint the existing parts with a metallic undercoat (usually silver) and then apply a clear color on top of it to get the look you want.
Calubin_175

GFFMC all three.

Get the definitive version so you won't have to care about any lower version.

But then that would depend on your standards.

RD has the best articulation, GFFMC has the best sculpt with transformation, PG is pretty good for a transformable model kit.

MG is rubbish.

Sadly, I have all the RD ones and GFFMCs at the moment. Might want to part with my RDs soon except for the Phenex.
Kratos

The PG is incredible. The wrists and shoulder joints aren't great, but everything else is NAILED. Best transformation you'll find, too - smooth, stable, well-designed - and probably the most show-accurate proportions too. Really good kit.

I dunno if I'd say the MG is "rubbish", but it's definitely showing its age a bit. I don't have any of the GFFMCs, but they're pretty pricey, possible more than even a PG. Almost certainly high quality, though, if my GFFMC RX-78 ORIGIN is anything to go by.
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"