Best clear coat for Painted Kits?

Discuss models, figures, Blu-rays and more.
KVLTIST

Best clear coat for Painted Kits?

What is generally considered the best and most durable clear coat or sealant for painted Gunpla kits (preferably matte finish)

I've been using Armory brand clear sealer (only thing they had on hand at the local shop), and it both has a strange glazing effect and also i'm getting some small chips

I've heard good things about Dullcote and Tamiya clear coats (although Tamiya's huge product line is hard to figure out)

Any help would be appreciated, thank you!
KVLTIST KVSTMS
iguanaman8989

Re: Best clear coat for Painted Kits?

Floor acrylic. It's relatively inexpensive, and it works wonders as a final clear coat. It's glossy, so you'll need some additive to flatten it (forgot what it's called, should be available in a hobby store).

Something like this. Should be available most anywhere that sells cleaning products.

Look for the Future logo on it.
Turn X

Tamiya has its line of coats for spray can use, coming in gloss, semi-gloss or matte. Unfortunately, the matte/flat coat has recently been discontinued, so finding that version is pretty difficult.
twitter.com/VistFoundation
www.tomopop.com
South Burning

I always use Testors paints because that is all that local stores carry and I hate to order paint through the mail. They have gloss and flat clear laquer and semi-gloss enamel (the enamel being hard to find, the laquers being plentiful). Although all the literature tells you not to put laquer over enamel, I have never had any problems using Testors dullcote over enamels. It does a great job of hiding the edges of decals and of minor surface flaws. Even on models that are 10 years old it still looks good and has not deteriorated. Of course, use VERY light coats and don't be afraid to use more than one coat to make certain the entire model is covered. You will probably also want to spray arms, legs, torsos, etc. separately and put a plug in any joints to keep paint out of them so your model will move once it is "assembled".
nortran11

Testors DullCoat!

It's just like Lando says "Works Everytime!"
G-Slayer
Location: In the fridge, behind the mayonnaise, next to the ketchup, and to the left of the coleslaw.

I wouldn't put too much faith in Testors sprays. I've made the mistake of using them on my models before testing them and they took an eternity to dry. Krylon brand products has gotten lots of positive feedback, but I also recommend testing them.
"That's it! I'll never Gundam the pilot again, Bright!"--Amuro Ray

My YouTube Channel!

My Photobucket Album!

My Gunpla Blog!
G-Slayer
Location: In the fridge, behind the mayonnaise, next to the ketchup, and to the left of the coleslaw.

I wouldn't put too much faith in Testors sprays. I've made the mistake of using them on my models before testing them and they took an eternity to dry. Krylon brand products has gotten lots of positive feedback, but I also recommend testing them.
"That's it! I'll never Gundam the pilot again, Bright!"--Amuro Ray

My YouTube Channel!

My Photobucket Album!

My Gunpla Blog!
South Burning

G-Slayer must be using too much Testors DullCoat if his experience is that it takes too long to dry. I remember one time I pulled an all-nighter using DullCoat on every piece and entered the diorama the NEXT MORNING only to win a first place! And this was in a contest run by a branch of the IPMS that absolutely hates Gundam models because they don't consider them "real" models, so you know it had to look good! Remember, I said to use VERY light coats.