Dark Duel's Gunpla thread

Discuss models, figures, Blu-rays and more.
Dark Duel

Re: Dark Duel's Gunpla thread

Wow, it has been a LOOOOOOONG time since I've done anything Gunpla-wise.
On a minor note, I've gone ahead and switched that Saviour Gundam custom I did a while back to the original Saviour's setup with the wings on the backpack and the beam sabers in the shoulders, because I was messing with it and decided I liked the more streamlined look better.

In other news, I've gotten started on a custom-ish 1 Gundam/1.5 Gundam build - I haven't yet decided which one.
Anyway, I remember way back when the AGE-2 was revealed commenting that its head reminded me a lot of the Reborns/1(.5) Gundam's head, so I got curious to see how a swap would look.
Anyway, here it is with its regular head. I haven't really changed anything, except I painted the blue parts a darker blue. It's difficult to tell from the photo because the quality isn't great, but the blue is actually metallic, which was purely accidental; I grabbed a can of paint that was the right shade of slightly darker blue I was looking for, but it wasn't until I started painting that I realized it was metallic. I was worried at first, but it ended up looking pretty good.
So that's it. And now, here it is again, this time with the AGE-2's head from my AGE-2 Normal kit. Assuming I end up going with this, the red parts of the head will be repainted accordingly. I think it looks pretty good, but the head ends up looking a tad small IMO.
Thoughts?
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Dark Duel

Nothing? Well anyway, the kit's finished.
front view 1
front view 2
rear view
Ended up doing quite a bit more painting than I'd originally planned, but that's alright - it turned out great.

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Dark Duel

Quite a while back, I picked up the AGE-2 Normal, then the AGE-2 Double Bullet, and I swapped the arms of the DB onto the Normal and kept the rifle.
I thought I'd posted pics here, but I guess not.
Moot point - anyway, it was pretty much a straight build of AGE-2, nothing too special, with the arms swapped out.

Today, I picked up a different kit that I was also going to do a straight build, but one of the parts broke off and could not be repaired or replaced, so instead, I kept a few of its extra parts in reserve, and used parts of what I had left to put together this little gem:
Mobile Suit Mode Picture #1
Mobile Suit Mode Picture #2
Mobile Suit Mode Picture #3
Flight Mode Picture #1
I really wish they'd included a second set of longer blades that fit the DB's shoulder binders, the beam saber blades look dinky on there :?
Anyway, so far not all that different from what the kit looked like yesterday.
Moving on...
Flight Mode Picture #2
Mobile Suit Mode Picture #4

Comments?

Mythgarr

I even had more extreme parts swapping of AGE-2 variants:

Cannon Hound: https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1114 ... 6881082561

Winged Artimes:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1114 ... 8896132065

I switched Dark Hound back to its original parts and give the "winged cannons" part to the one that used to be Normal but given DB's legs and the winged cannons.

Now I am looking to add AGE-1 Razor parts to Dark Hound...if only my supplier could sell me one Razor parts...

And yes, I don't like legs sticking out in the Strider Mode so I just fold the legs so the feet would face forward :)
Visit The Dreams
Dark Duel

Ahem...
So yeah, my MG Destiny is finally done.
rear view, and a look at its weapons
More pics to come later (maybe).

Dark Duel

Some more photos, as promised
A lot of blades...
Main CQC weapons...really, REALLY big beam sabers. These are the "Moralltach" Anti-Ship Beam Sabers. Developed from the Excaliburs of the Sword Impulse, each one is actually slightly longer than the Arondight from the canon Destiny, and they combine.
MOAR DAKKA
Close-up of the BFGs
Talk to the hand!

Also did some side-by-side comparisons with an old 1/100 NG Destiny that I've had lying around.
Front
Rear
BFS 1, 2, 3
BFG 1, 2

Mythgarr

Rezel's rifles? Cool idea!
Visit The Dreams
Heecarl_Reez

I gotta say that's an awesome custom Dark Duel! I love the color scheme, and although you're using the part of it's nemesis I've gotta say it's blending well with the overall design. I prefer if the ASS had it long solid sword part, but I think it's fine. Now if only the original could have the same armament like this...
Dark Duel

Glad you like it. I love how the colors came out - which by the way were inspired by the same unit that provided the inspirational basis for the weapons as well, which is Destiny Impulse Unit 1 (Note; this particular image served as a "proof-of-concept" thing, with the cannons reversed from how they were mounted on the original version
And yeah, if the original had been a beast like that, I think things might have come out very differently.
What I think came out best though with this design is how much more it hearkens back to its predecessor aesthetically compared to the original - particularly with the new V-Fin and the legs.
Mythgarr wrote:Rezel's rifles? Cool idea!
Thanks. Actually I slightly customized those, too - if you look at the original Mega Beam Launcher, it has a largeish rectangular targeting sight on top, which I lopped off, and then patched over the top where it used to be using a couple of spare parts. I was originally going to put the targeting sensor from the IJ's rife on there, but couldn't make it work, so I left the big cylindrical lateral sensor instead. Came out okay regardless, I think.

Dark Duel

Another photo
Put it on an Action Base because a couple of weeks ago, the original base that came with the kit broke.
My problem is, I had kept the top part of the original base that hooks onto the backpack, but now I can't find it. And because the included part is not a perfect fit, the kit has a tendency to tip backwards unless it's posed in a forward-leaning position.
Oh well.

Amion

That custom Destiny is pure win over the original. And I for one think it looks better than the Freedom now. And of course, if Shinn had been given leg mounted beams like this one, Athrun would not have gotten away with beating him so easily.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Dark Duel

Well, in this continuity neither SF nor IJ exist; Athrun is piloting something else, and in any case they're on the same side. So yeah, I pulled parts pretty freely. You'll note I gave it IJ's shield as well - though in this version, the frontal blade is fixed to the shield rather than an impractically large beam boomerang.
Look at it a little more closely, and you'll also notice that the front and rear waist armor on the custom came from SF (slightly customized the front armor), as did the V-Fin. The V-Fin is meant to hearken back to the Impulse, since it's the same general design but with a triangular centerpiece instead of a rectangle.

An earlier design for the Destiny - which I discarded due to unsurmountable logistical problems with the kit construction - used the SF's torso, since its general outline is literally almost identical to that of the Impulse.
In the end, I'm glad I kept the Destiny's original torso - it looks better IMO.
And thanks, by the way.

On another note, I was able to find the base part I'd lost; one of these weekends I'm going to put some decals on it, and I'll take another couple of pics then.

Dark Duel

Wow, I haven't updated this in a looooooooooooong time.
But I been working on something. Just about done, except the limbs.

Dark Duel

GX-9900-DV Gundam X-Divider completed
No customization per se, but a helluva lot of paint. I think pretty much every part that wasn't white to begin with except those purplish parts on the limbs and some of the dark blue parts on the Divider ended up being painted, as did pretty much every spot intended to use a decal except the eyes and assorted sensors on the head and weapons.
Came out really well, IMO. Next I plan on building X(Which I may or may not paint), then DX(which will require quite a bit of painting as well), and once I have it, X Maoh.
Unless I switch to MG for a while...

Dark Duel

Well, as John once said, Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans.
In my case, the Xs have had to wait, as the first HGBF kit I have built has been this puppy:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7351/1273 ... 699d3e.jpg

A lot of decals on this kit...I used exactly three: the monoeye, and the targeting sensor for the two rifles. Everything else I used either yellow or gold paint, depending on the area/part I was painting.
Same applies for one that I just finished within the last half-hour or so, which was initially inspired by an off-the-cuff comment by the owner of a local hobby shop in my area:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2808/1273 ... 1e9e1b.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7404/1273 ... ee2a68.jpg
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3778/1273 ... aaf593.jpg
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2889/1273 ... 15f86c.jpg

A slight mod of Harrison Martin's F91 in HGUC, with some slight color tweaks...and US Navy/Blue Angels markings. As a note, again the only decals I used were for the eyes and the targeting sensor on the weapons.
If it is yellow, it's painted. Even the parts that were molded in yellow to begin with, as well as a fair bit of red, grey and silver detailing.

Thoughts?

Dark Duel

And on the heels of that tiny little thing, I've gone back into Master Grade territory, with a project that's been on my back burner for a loooong time, which is a modded Sinanju Stein I have tentatively christened "Sinanju Kai".
I did all the painting (quite a bit of it) and almost finished work on the only part that really needed customizing, which is the shield.
To whit:
MSN-06S/K Sinanju Kai shield
Ended up a lot easier than I feared it would be :P
The rest simply involves some part-swapping and painting - and the painting's done, so from this point it's pretty much a straight build.

Thoughts?

Dark Duel

Well, I've made some progress on the Sinanju Kai.
Sinanju Kai weapons
Beam rifle with attached grenade launcher and two bazookas. Yes, two bazookas. Still haven't decided if I want to give it the bigger rifle as an optional weapon or not.

cockpit
A thin coat of metallic red paint on the inside of the clear parts got that semitransparent red finish. I did the same thing with the optics/sensors of the beam rifle, and I also used metallic red on the bazooka sights.
Oh, and I didn't use the Full Frontal pilot figure - I took one I had left over from a previous kit and that I didn't use.

Torso/backpack
Pretty straightforward - The Sinanju Stein's torso and head, BUT with the antenna from the Sinanju. Oh, and the backpack as well.

Dark Duel

MSN-06S/K SINANKU KAI - COMPLETED
Hit a couple of snags along the way, but finally got it done.
Ended up looking quite a bit different from how I'd originally envisioned it, but I'm pretty happy with it overall.

Dark Duel

"Say hello to my little friend."
Sinanju Kai again, this time armed with the beam rifle and under-barrel mounted BAZOOKA. Which is ridiculously large - full extended, it's almost as long as the Sinanju itself is tall.
And just as difficult to pose as it sounds.

Wingnut

Dark Duel wrote:"Say hello to my little friend."
Sinanju Kai again, this time armed with the beam rifle and under-barrel mounted BAZOOKA. Which is ridiculously large - full extended, it's almost as long as the Sinanju itself is tall.
And just as difficult to pose as it sounds.
Alternate title: "And you thought Wing Gundam's buster rifle was hard to pose with."
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.