Dark Duel's Gunpla thread

Discuss models, figures, Blu-rays and more.
Dark Duel

Dark Duel's Gunpla thread

Well, since the other forum in which I showcased my collection got deep-sixed, I guess I can put 'em up here.
I'll put the older stuff up once I find the pictures and rehost them, but for now here're a couple of newer ones.

First is a custom Duel I did a little bit ago by essentially upgrading a Regen Duel using a handful of Duel AS parts, as well as a few parts from Gale Strike, and giving it a less painful paintjob.
1. Here it is with its default equipment - the bazooka. The support arm for the bazooka uses one half of a Buster support arm to attach to the backpack, and the other half is the Regen Duel bazooka's normal support part. The paintscheme is essentially the original Duel's, but also draws inspiration from the WeißSaber.
2. Here it is with alternate equipment: a pair of bigass swords. Buster rear skirt and super glue to hold the necessary rubber bits to attach the swords to the backpack.

Next is a slightly less drastic customization. I had a Hail Buster tha I got ages ago which I assembled with the shoulders, knees, and faceplate of the original Buster, and one of the pegs that hold the cannons in place broke. So I got a second one to repair it, and to give it the Hail's knees so as to minimize the amount of black. Then I realized I had a second complete set of guns I didn't really know what to do with.
This is the result.
And here it is again, posed slightly differently.

Last one tonight is even simpler. It's a slight customization of Graham's Brave CTT from the 00 movie. I gave it a mostly-black paintscheme inspired by his Custom Flag from Season 1, as well as the Masurao's beam saber and an extra GN Drive.

Thoughts?
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
iKhaotic

Re: Dark Duel's Gunpla thread

Not a fan of the Duel, the color combination feels a bit tacky, but maybe it's only because certain colors aren't in the right place.

The Buster on the other hand, is really neat. Only things I'd change on it would be to make another part of it's lower legs purple and color the eyes in with a traditional Gundam eye color (green/yellow/blue/red), or maybe it is and the camera angle just doesn't show it? But overall, very nice, looks well armed :)
[Relinquish your pain...unto me...]
[Neither will alone, nor strength alone]
~Sword of the Blue Skies~
Dark Duel

The Buster's eyes are blue. It's just the lousy lighting and slightly awkward camera angle, plus the fact it's such a dark color to begin with, makes it difficult to tell...
And it's my favorite of the two as well :)

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Dark Duel

Wow, I'd totally forgotten about this thread. Anyway, here's what I got today: A recolor and very slight customization of the Vent Saviour into a paint scheme more reminescent of the original Saviour's - not exactly the same paint scheme though.
Assuming I ever get down to writing it(unlikely), in my GSD rewrite this is what the Saviour is rebuilt into after it's defeated by the Freedom, and it handed down to...someone else once Athrun gets IJ.
First picture. I gave it a second rifle (mostly because I'm a sucker for dual-wielders), and I made a slight customization to said rifle. One of the rifles actually needs a few touch-ups, but I'll do that later.
Closeup. Yes, the Serpent Tail logo's on there solely because it looks damn cool.
Spamming away. Always been a fan of the Saviour. Personally it's my favorite of the machines Athrun's piloted in Seed/Destiny. The Vent Saviour also happens to be my favorite of that series, too.
Remember I mentioned briefly that I'd customized the rifles? Yeah, that's how. I gave them beam sabers.

Dark Duel

Can't believe it's been nearly two months since I finished my Saviour mod and started on this next kit, but things like my laptop going up in smoke have kept me away from finishing it.
Strictly speaking I still have one or two final touchups to do, but essentially it's done.
Geara Zulu Guard Custom Type
I used the dinky little beam blade part from the Beam Tomahawk to create a firing effect for the beam rifle, and I took the green blade that came with my ReZEL CT and used it to give the Geara Zulu a proper beam saber blade on said beam tomahawk.
So yeah.
Next up: ECOAS Jegan.

Red Comet90

I like the Vent Saviour. It looks so much better in the original Saviour colors. The custom beam sabres were a cool addition. It reminds me of when the Zeta does that with its beam rifle a few times.

Geara Zulu looks nice too! Keep up the good work! Also I'm not sure if you know about these, but it might help to put the models in a box...(not sure what its called). It essentially focuses the light all from one direction giving you a better photo and it enhances the look of the model! I wish I could remember the name right now...If It comes to me I'll edit this post. ><
The proof of our might will forever be etched in your minds.

-- Haman Karn
Dark Duel

Zeta Gundam is actually where I got the idea, actually 8) .
Thanks for the feedback - and I'll look into that box thing you're talking about too...

Dark Duel

Dark Duel wrote:Next up: ECOAS Jegan.
Or not.
I recently started rewatching Seed for the...I dunno, probably 4th or 5th time. Anyway I decided to go subbed this time(I've only watched it subbed once before), and I have to say that there are a couple of cases in which I prefer the dub - but that's neither here nor there.

Getting back on topic, I find myself falling in love with the good old-fashioned Strike Gundam all over again, so I celebrated by picking up the Real Grade 1/144 Aile Strike Gundam. Finished assembling the base Strike today and gave it its shield and beam rifle. I have to say, this thing's awesome. Better-than-MG detail(not quite on par with the PG, which is a good thing as IMO the PG Strike has got waaaaaaay too much going on detail-wise) and MG-level articulation on all points(except the ankles)...really awesome stuff.

I'll get the Aile Striker put together probably tomorrow. In the meantime, Here's one more picture, with another recent acquisition of mine. And I really, REALLY like that one too.

Wingnut

Dark Duel wrote:In the meantime, Here's one more picture, with another recent acquisition of mine. And I really, REALLY like that one too.
I can see why. Looks very nice.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Red Comet90

Wow that Strike Gundam looks awesome with no paint. I may have to pick up that model now too..Bandai really outdoes themselves with every new release.

Just curious what series is the Marida statue from? :mrgreen:

-- Haman Karn
Dark Duel

Well, I actually used a little bit of paint in a few areas for detailing - I painted the "yellow" bit of the V-Fin gold, and did some detailing for vents/thrusters/the vulcans and a few other spots.
It's a straight build other than that though.

And because I'm in a good mood, here's the exact link where I got Marida: http://www.hlj.com/product/MEG71320

iKhaotic

Gundam needs to have more character statues. I have a few Lunamaria ones, but what I wouldn't do for a sexy Tiffa or Allenby one... :D
Red Comet90

Thanks for the link Dark Duel! Now that I actually pay attention to those small little details you made I can tell they made a difference especially the V-Fin.

+1 for more sexy Gundam statues. I want a sexy statue of Haman in her bikini from ZZ. :mrgreen:

-- Haman Karn
Dark Duel

iKhaotic wrote:Gundam needs to have more character statues. I have a few Lunamaria ones, but what I wouldn't do for a sexy Tiffa or Allenby one... :D
Oh yes, the ladies of Gundam do need more character statues. Stella's the only other Gundam character I have one of, though I do have a Sheryl Nome and a few others from other anime.
But I would LOVE an Allenby. Go well with my HGFC Nobel Gundam.
There's a few others I'd love to have too, that didn't get character statues and I wish had.
Red Comet90 wrote:I want a sexy statue of Haman in her bikini from ZZ
Do tell...Is that really in there? I might have to try and find that now :twisted:

Heecarl_Reez

Gundam needs to have more character statues. I have a few Lunamaria ones, but what I wouldn't do for a sexy Tiffa or Allenby one...
Unless you emphasize on the sexy part...:
http://www.hlj.com/product/MEG71097
http://www.hlj.com/product/MEG71096

Both of them are currently discontinued on HLJ though.. :P
Red Comet90

Dark Duel wrote:
Red Comet90 wrote:I want a sexy statue of Haman in her bikini from ZZ
Do tell...Is that really in there? I might have to try and find that now :twisted:
Yeah at the end of the show when they are on that colony with that guy who likes to take women into his mansion she's just there sun bathing..or it could be in that one episode when Judau goes to Axis and he goes into the hotel/ palace where Haman is staying and she's sunbathing on the balcony. Its possible that both of these things happen. Its been a while so I'm not sure.

-- Haman Karn
iKhaotic

Heecarl_Reez wrote:
Gundam needs to have more character statues. I have a few Lunamaria ones, but what I wouldn't do for a sexy Tiffa or Allenby one...
Unless you emphasize on the sexy part...:
http://www.hlj.com/product/MEG71097
http://www.hlj.com/product/MEG71096

Both of them are currently discontinued on HLJ though.. :P
Tiffa never really had alternate outfits in the show so that one is great. Allenby on the other hand, I kinda want her in the body suit lol, although that one looks really nice too.

...I'd buy them both if they weren't discontinued :(
Dark Duel

Anyway, received a few more kits as a late X-Mas present from a buddy from out of town; another Gundam X - which is great because I can use that one to replace the broken Satellite System panel on mine, and Forever Gundam.
In other news, I started working a few weeks ago on designing a custom kit as a tie-in for the GSD Rewrite I'm working on, and this week I've gotten started by painting the runners I will need to assemble said kit; I've already got the entire internal frame and most of the armor painted, and the head's almost totally assembled.
I'll post photos ASAP.

The basic concept is this: As I mentioned in the discussion thread on Destiny Gundam, as much as I like the thing I'm not entirely happy with its design; so what I'm doing is using Destiny Gundam Unit 3 as a general inspiration for the armament, colors and general appearance, and redesigning essentially from the ground up a different version of Destiny Gundam that's both more in keeping with Shinn's combat style as well as more representative of the technological advances we see late in Destiny.
I'm actually pulling from a couple of different sources for the parts, but essentially it's Destiny Impulse on a massive dose of steroids.

Dark Duel

Waiting on a couple of parts for the aforementioned custom Destiny that I had to have custom-made, so I haven't started assembly yet though the painting is just about all done.
In the meantime, I picked up what is literally my second ever CE HG 1/144-scale kit, which I plan on custom-painting and assembling over the next week or so, as time allows.

Dark Duel

Dark Duel wrote:I picked up what is literally my second ever CE HG 1/144-scale kit, which I plan on custom-painting and assembling over the next week or so, as time allows.
Just wanted to say that it's done