Mecha anime besides of GUNDAM from Sunrise

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
yinle

Mecha anime besides of GUNDAM from Sunrise

Is there any good mecha anime recommended from Sunrise?
Chris
Administrator

That's a very tall order, especially since Sunrise created lots of mecha shows in the 80s, including standouts such as VOTOMS and Dunbine. Personally, I would recommend checking the company's entry on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunrise_%28company%29), as it has a complete breakdown of every TV series, movie and OVA created by Sunrise from the 1970s up to now.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
yinle

Thanks a lot,I think I'll pay a visit to wikipedia. :wink:
Quiddity

Escaflowne, Space Runaway Ideon, Aura Battler Dunbine, Heavy Metal L-Gaim and Gasaraki are all excellent shows. Strongly recommend all five. First four can be found right here on MAHQ, reviewed by a familiar face :P
MAHQ Staff - Dunbine, L-Gaim, Escaflowne, Ideon, Gasaraki, The Big O, Overman King Gainer, Zambot 3 and FLCL
In my search for justice, I created war. In my search for war, I created death. In my search for death... I have lost my soul.
Isamu Alva Dyson

Re: Mecha anime besides of GUNDAM from Sunrise

yinle wrote:Is there any good mecha anime recommended from Sunrise?
Heh, asking whether Sunrise has made any other good mecha shows besides Gundam is sort of like asking whether Disney has made any good animated musicals besides Snow White...they've got the market pretty well-cornered. I personally liked Dragonar (it's silly, but fun) and Patlabor to add to the list of good ones.
"You're...alive?"

"Was there ever any doubt?"
Kavik Ryx

Besides the already stated, many of which I have so far thoroughly enjoyed, I would have to give a shout out to Vifam. It's from the same vein of silliness of Gundam ZZ, Dragonnar, and L.Gaim, but is overall a pleasant watch. The one thing working against it is that it is really slow at the beginning.

Other than that, if you are ever in a super robot mood, there is always GaoGaiGar. However there are probably a lot of people here who can give a stronger recommendation on that since I have only recently started.
OutLawSuit

If you want to try something somewhat different and newer, I'd suggest Zegapain. I'd liken it to a mix between the Matrix and Gundam.
Delta Knight

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Code Geass yet.
"You spoony bard!"
-Sage Telah in Final Fantasy IV.
Renegade334

Well...it might be because people tend to view it more as a 'series with mechas' rather than a 'mecha series', if you know what I mean. And since yinle asked for mecha series, well, Gundam and co. sort of take precedence over CG...
-- Light travels faster than sound: this is the scientific explanation as to why people appear brilliant...that is, until you hear what they have to say.
Yuusha Tokkyu Might Gaine

Escaflowne an ZOE Dolores were pretty good too
Tell me bats, what are you really scared of? Failure to save this cesspool of a city? Not finding the Commissioner in time? Me, in a thong?-Joker Arkham Asylum

My father was a wheel! THE FIRST WHEEL! And you know what he transformed into?! NOTHING! But he did it with honor!-Jefire, Transformers 2
Infinity Gundam

Has anyone mentioned Overman King Gainer?
RedBlitz

Renegade334 wrote:Well...it might be because people tend to view it more as a 'series with mechas' rather than a 'mecha series', if you know what I mean.
Yeah it's the same thing with Escaflowne, it's more about the characters then Mecha's, sure the mecha's play an important role but most of the time is spent on the characters and how they interact then actual fighting.
"We will change in order to create the future!!" - Setsuna F Seiei
Imperial

ZOE Dolores stuck with me chiefly because it seemed hell bent on breaking several of the more worn out mecha genre stereotypes.

The fact that it's a fantastic show doesn't hurt.
This space for rent
Daemoro

I'm surprised that no one mentioned Fafner. Yes, it's that good. And Heroic Age.
OutLawSuit

Daemoro wrote:I'm surprised that no one mentioned Fafner. Yes, it's that good. And Heroic Age.
They haven't been mentioned because neither one is from Sunrise.

They both share the same character designer, Hisashi Hirai, who has most definitely worked with Sunrise though. He did the character designs for Gundam SEED. It explains why Shinn (Destiny) and Kozuki (Fafner) look nearly the same...
Kavik Ryx

In all honesty, finding the best mecha shows from Sunrise is almost like asking what Ghibli films are good. You'll get so many answers that it becomes really hard to single out just one.
prince_of_zeon

I'm pretty sure Eureka Seven is Sunrise. Again, it's more "shows with mecha" than "mecha show", but give it a try. It starts slow, but don't give up. It picks up around episode 35 or so.

I have to give a recomendation to Escaflowne too. Great show.
Twat me: http://twitter.com/#!/Podsyboy

Subscribe/comment me: http://www.youtube.com/user/AlphaAeizeru

Did Fats Goodman really die at the end of "Fats' Counterattack?"
RedBlitz

prince_of_zeon wrote:I'm pretty sure Eureka Seven is Sunrise. Again, it's more "shows with mecha" than "mecha show", but give it a try. It starts slow, but don't give up. It picks up around episode 35 or so.

I have to give a recomendation to Escaflowne too. Great show.
Eureka Seven is from BONES I think... but still every mecha fan should watch it. It's definetly in my top 3 mecha anime's the other 2 being Geass and 00.
"We will change in order to create the future!!" - Setsuna F Seiei
Akuma_Blade

Soukyuu no Fafner
Gasaraki
Blue Gender
Chris
Administrator

Akuma_Blade wrote:Soukyuu no Fafner
Gasaraki
Blue Gender
Two of these series aren't even from Sunrise, and Fafner has already been identified as one of them. This thread can't really go anywhere, as people are just listing shows, and in some cases not even Sunrise, which is what the topic is about. Since I posted the Wikipedia link to Sunrise, there's no need to just have people keep listing things here.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his