Obscure Anime Favorites

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
kfrooster

Knight Of Zinc wrote:Kyatto Ninden Teyandee, aka. Samurai Pizza Cats.
I'm not too sure about Samurai Pizza Cats being that obscure. Back in about the mid-90's it had it's own dub going on here in North America. I believe it had it's own action figure line as well. Although I guess you could say it's obscure in the current sense.
solid snake

Not sure it's really that obscure, but I'm a big fan of Bio-Booster Armor Guyver (the original).
A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own.
Nimrod

Would Tekkaman Blade(known in the dub as Teknoman) count as "obscure"?

What about Death note? Not mecha or anything that's normal here but my pal in the UK got my completely hooked on this very interesting series.
Shinji103
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship: Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks

Nimrod wrote:What about Death note? Not mecha or anything that's normal here but my pal in the UK got my completely hooked on this very interesting series.
Death Note is in no way imagineable an obscure series. If anything, I'd say this series is overrated. It's good, but it's getting more attention than it actually deserves.
Nimrod

Shinji103 wrote:
Nimrod wrote:What about Death note? Not mecha or anything that's normal here but my pal in the UK got my completely hooked on this very interesting series.
Death Note is in no way imagineable an obscure series. If anything, I'd say this series is overrated. It's good, but it's getting more attention than it actually deserves.
My apologies. I wasn't aware of it's popularity as I've just got into it myself.
Mwulf

Unfortunately, Adachi's work is pretty much obscure in Western "anime culture". I'm talking specifically about the manga--which is far-and-away spectacular--though his work has found its way into a LOT of animes (and live-actions, as well) though usually the "heart" of the series is lost in the transition.

I remember when I first watched Zeta Gundam, the music and the end (and with Fa @ Green Noa) seemed almost identical to the music in Touch.
Another Day, Another Mishap.

Gundam Seed Fates
ASA (comic)
flamingtroll

I remember when I first watched Zeta Gundam, the music and the end (and with Fa @ Green Noa) seemed almost identical to the music in Touch.
Are you sure if it is not only because of the "generic pop BGM" back then that is the reason they all sound similar. Most songs in gundam series sounds pretty much like their contemporary songs
Mwulf

Probably. Hence the "seemed". At that point the only 80's anime I'd seen were Touch, Zeta and Lupin (or is Lupin older?)... so all I knew the music style from was Touch.
Another Day, Another Mishap.

Gundam Seed Fates
ASA (comic)
Wingnut

Mwulf wrote:Probably. Hence the "seemed". At that point the only 80's anime I'd seen were Touch, Zeta and Lupin (or is Lupin older?)... so all I knew the music style from was Touch.
The original Lupin the 3rd has 13 years on Zeta IIRC.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
EFF Test Pilot

Chōdenji Robo Combattler V, it gained a little popularity inside the comunity of SRW palyers but is still relatively unknow.
"Every day's great at your Junes!" - Nanako Dojima
Ryujin

With regards to '70's super robots, what I really enjoyed back then was Dangard Ace, Leiji Matsumoto's only entry into the genre. I even had the original DX Chogokin Dangard Ace from Popinika, which was pretty amazing in its faithfulness to the animation, both in looks & transformation.

I swear, you could beat people to death with the old die-cast Popinika toys (and yet the plastic parts can break so easily. Daimos hip joint, lol).

Also, the whole Nagahama Robot Romance Trilogy (Combattler, Voltes & Daimos), but then, two of these are considered pop icons in a certain asian country...
Wedge14

How about Riki-Oh?? It's worth noting just for the amazing live action movie that spawned from it.

Dear god that movie is awesome in ways I cannot even explain.
RPG Trinary:Creepy Zeon Magician

I'm cool, just ask anybody.

Oh and check out the RPG Section!