Obscure Anime Favorites

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Hyakushiki

Obscure Anime Favorites

I saw this topic on another forum. I'm sure everyone has a favorite show or
movie that they like but no one has heard of, ( or wouldn't openly admit they
like). I'll lead of with a few of my own, don't judge me too harshly.

1. Kurogane Communication: I picked this up a few years ago on the cheap.
A surprisingly light-hearted post apocalyptic tale the story starts of a little
slow but picks up about half way and shows some depth.

2. Infinite Ryvius: Another I got on the cheap, $20 no less! I was skeptical
but I was hooked from the first episode on. A Lord of The Flies in space that
never goes as far as the premise would suggest, it also rode the line light hearted drama and dark without losing the tension.

So those are mine, any takers?
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
Shinji103
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship: Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks

I dunno about Infinite Ryvius, I think that's actually quite well-known.

For me, it would have to be Zettai Muteki Raijin-Oh. Hasn't even made stateside. Super robot series with elementary school kid pilots whose classroom transforms into a command room and their school into a launching platform. And done by Sunrise, no less. :D

Haven't seen it? Find it. Buy it. Watch it. Now.
flamingtroll

Shinji103 wrote:I dunno about Infinite Ryvius, I think that's actually quite well-known.

For me, it would have to be Zettai Muteki Raijin-Oh. Hasn't even made stateside. Super robot series with elementary school kid pilots whose classroom transforms into a command room and their school into a launching platform. And done by Sunrise, no less. :D

Haven't seen it? Find it. Buy it. Watch it. Now.
That was one of my memorable childhood series. The Gojigen jin mecha has a pretty badass design too. I never get tired of that classroom->command room thing for some reason. I have always wondered how they manage not to injure someone during the transformation.
Haros_Pet_Kat

E's Otherwise is one of my favorite anime, but I don't ever see anything about it.
Chris wrote:Haha...you jackanapes have all been fooled by my ninja editing skills!
Hyakushiki

I just remembered this one, any body ever see the Ultraman anime? I rented
this at video store ages ago, I remember the plot involved the hero going to
the home planet of ultramen and helping them fight a war against some alien empire.
G.Squirrel

I'm not sure how well this one is known, but I love Round Vernian Vifam.

Also, Good Morning Althea was pretty good for an 80's OVA.
Zetsu

Although it is well known in other countries like its birthplace or France/Europe in general, I've found that Rose of Versailles is rather obscure in the US. It at least fulfills the other condition; it's not something I'd go around telling everyone about. :P Despite being extremely old (circa 1972-'73) and shoujo(in the time where sparkles weren't quite a joke yet, if you know what I mean), I thoroughly enjoyed it. The characters were well written and human, and I liked how they showed the decline of France into chaos by first focusing on the rich nobles in Versailles in the beginning of the series, then focusing on the common people and the growth of revolutionism.
Rei Murasame

BetterMan: "The series's plot focuses on the threat of "Algernon,” a mutation in the brain which causes an accelerated alteration in the sensory, neural and nervous faculties. Those subjected to the phenomenon become violently hostile, suicidal, and share a hive mind collective with those who share the disease. Akamatsu Industries, a group designated to research and counteract Algernon, head a covert squadron of Neuronoids, robots piloted by Dual Kinds to inspect areas exposed to contamination and neutralize any threats brought thereabout. Keita Aono, a high school student, is brought into the fold after a chance encounter with a childhood friend, Hinoki Sai."

It's pretty amazing, and covers a lot of seriously relevant issues, so I'd say it's well worth the time. It'll keep you thinking.

Zero no Tsukaima: "The story features several characters from the second year class of a magic academy in a fictional magical world with the main character being the inept mage Louise and her familiar from Earth, Saito Hiraga."

Two possibly shallow reasons caused me to start watching this yesterday. One is that the VA for the main character, Louise, is the same one who voiced Shana from Shakugan no Shana (and I like the sound of her voice, so...). The other, is that the audacity of someone having a human familiar, caught my interest.
"And I... should contemplate this change...
To ease the pain.
And I... should step out of the rain...
And turn away..."
Volnixshin

Dual Parrelel Trouble Adventures, everyone I know says its a stupid Eva knockoff, but I love it hardcore. It's so cool. My best friend is the only one who shares my passion for it.
You ever wonder where the Legend began? Watch as the most useless, becomes the most feared in the galaxy

Dark Duel: "I think the lesson to be learned is that so long as you have blue-colored hair, you will kick ass."
WingZero20xx

silent mobius was pretty decent...although the dub was atrociously horrible and the animation quality sucked, overall it was a pretty good anime. got the complete 26 episode box set for 20 bucks at animenation
Hyakushiki

Volnixshin wrote:Dual Parrelel Trouble Adventures, everyone I know says its a stupid Eva knockoff, but I love it hardcore. It's so cool. My best friend is the only one who shares my passion for it.
I've been wanting to see this one, especially after I watched EVA.
Yuusha Tokkyu Might Gaine

I would say the Yuusha series, but MAHQ dose have a second for it already.

Hmmm, I suppose Zeorymer'd be one.
Tell me bats, what are you really scared of? Failure to save this cesspool of a city? Not finding the Commissioner in time? Me, in a thong?-Joker Arkham Asylum

My father was a wheel! THE FIRST WHEEL! And you know what he transformed into?! NOTHING! But he did it with honor!-Jefire, Transformers 2
Shinji103
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship: Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks

Rei Murasame wrote:Zero no Tsukaima: "The story features several characters from the second year class of a magic academy in a fictional magical world with the main character being the inept mage Louise and her familiar from Earth, Saito Hiraga."

Two possibly shallow reasons caused me to start watching this yesterday. One is that the VA for the main character, Louise, is the same one who voiced Shana from Shakugan no Shana (and I like the sound of her voice, so...). The other, is that the audacity of someone having a human familiar, caught my interest.
How in the world is ZnT an unknown series? This anime made a big splash and is even getting a second season. It has its own section on Animesuki.com.
Imperial

BetterMan: "The series's plot focuses on the threat of "Algernon,” a mutation in the brain which causes an accelerated alteration in the sensory, neural and nervous faculties. Those subjected to the phenomenon become violently hostile, suicidal, and share a hive mind collective with those who share the disease. Akamatsu Industries, a group designated to research and counteract Algernon, head a covert squadron of Neuronoids, robots piloted by Dual Kinds to inspect areas exposed to contamination and neutralize any threats brought thereabout. Keita Aono, a high school student, is brought into the fold after a chance encounter with a childhood friend, Hinoki Sai."

It's pretty amazing, and covers a lot of seriously relevant issues, so I'd say it's well worth the time. It'll keep you thinking.
I second this anime. I second it HARD (if that's even possible).

I've seen some people accuse it of being an Eva-clone, but I think those people have absolutely no idea what they're talking about. Aside from a vaguely stylistic similarity in one of the episodes, Betterman in no way resembles Evangelion, unless you dive into the typical anime cliches of big mecha and unnaturally colored hair.

Betterman is easily one of the greatest anime series I've ever had the pleasure of watching. If you like anything cerebral that happens to have the big robot flair (like Big O or Eva), you'll probably appreciate this.
This space for rent
lalahsghost

My Favs are more things that are falling through the cracks, that have been shown in North America, and lost again:

Iria Zeiram: The Animation
The WWII Three part miniseries produced by leiji matsumoto and two other dudes. (Forgot name...)
Roujin Z
Dominion Tank Police
And why isn't there a GE999/Adieu GE999 Holiday in every country???

I know many of these were shown on saturday anime when I was in grade school (Sci-Fi Channel)... But they were shown for a reason... They were darn good!

Can I throw in Robot Carnival since it has a +1 for having a loli char clone in kitazume's production? :P
ORegan

the shin chan show on CN is pretty funny, but a bunch of my friends said it was retarded of me to watch it :roll:
mcred23 wrote: Well... it's official: O'Regan is the next Hitler.
WhiteWingDemon wrote: Not to start anything, seeing as that is O'Regan's job...
ShadowCell wrote: O'Regan, quit hitting on other users.
Orrick Alexander wrote: Did anyone know that O'Regan is the reason there's no air in space?
Ryujin

lalahsghost wrote: The WWII Three part miniseries produced by leiji matsumoto and two other dudes. (Forgot name...)
"The Cockpit"

A favorite of mine back then was Ginga Sengoku Gunyuuden Rai (Galaxy Warring State Chronicle Rai), ingnominously marketed in the US as 'Thunder Jet'. Johji Manabe's sort-of take on 'The Romance of the Three Kingdoms,' it was wonderfully anachronistic, a galaxy-spanning civil war where big-gun WW2-esque battleships fought in space while soldiers in medieval armour engaged in hand-to-hand combat with no need for spacesuits!
Hyakushiki

lalahsghost wrote:I know many of these were shown on saturday anime when I was in grade school (Sci-Fi Channel)... But they were shown for a reason... They were darn good!
Ah, those were the days... when Sci-Fi Channel was still relevent.
GE999 and Robot Carnival are favorites of mine too. The Galaxy Railways is also a must see.
Knight Of Zinc

Kyatto Ninden Teyandee, aka. Samurai Pizza Cats.

That show was awesome!

And yeah, Galaxy Express was amazing. One of my favourite films. I've also seen some of the TV series, which wasn't quite as good as the movies, IMO.

I've been wanting to see Betterman for a while now. Hinoki Sai is such a cutie. She kinda looks like this girl I went out with a few times.
BATTLE FEVER G!

GUNDAM ROSE! Oui!
GUNDAM BOLT! Da!
GUNDAM DRAGON! Ni Hao!
GUNDAM MAXTER! Yay!

SHINING GUNDAM! OOOOHHHH!!!
artmaster079

I remember both Betterman and Dual: Parallel Trouble Adventure, they were awesome shows. Betterman was pretty hardcore, if you didn't pay attention to the plot, you could get lost easily. I always loved the parts where he ate the fruit and transformed. I somehow still remember the theme song, lol

Dual was good becuase it jumped into the whole alternate realities and whatnot. The mech designs seemed EVA-ish, and I remember someone calling the series one of the "Children of EVA." The plot really got you involved, especially towards the end.

I remember both of them being shown on TechTV before it all went to hell. Good times...

Anyone ever see the Mutant Turtles: Superman Legend anime? (i can't remember the exact title) It basically entailed the Ninja Turtles (from the old school cartoon we all love) becoming Metal Turtles, transforming a la Saint Seiya style. Their was also another one where the 4 turtles used some crystal to merge together to form 'Saint Turtle" (or something like that). I remember it was pretty hilarious because they were fighting Super Bebop and Super Rocksteady and Super Shredder was like 15 stories tall at the end lol.
**Member of Mecha Talk since June 2006**