Gundam Seed/Destiny Remaster Gets (re)Dub

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

Gundam Seed/Destiny Remaster Gets (re)Dub

Thought it was okay to create a new thread since the old remaster threads are...well....old.

Anyway, I was surprised to see no one had made a thread about this because I thought this was interesting: Sunrise is going to (re)release Gundam Seed & Gundam Seed Destiny with a new English dub for the remastered versions.

Link to the article here: http://www.animenewsnetwork.cc/news/201 ... ub/.120036

Here is the cast list for Seed:
Max Mittelman as Kira
Chris Hackney as Athrun
Stephanie Sheh as Lacus
Sandy Fox as Haro
Cherami Leigh as Cagalli
Erica Mendez as Flay
Lucien Dodge as Sai
Cassandra Morris as Miriallia
Colin DePaula as Tolle
Eddy Lee as Kuzzey
Daman Mills as Yzak
Johnny Yong Bosch as Dearka
Casey Mongillo as Nicol

Kind of wish they dubbed some of the rightstuff releases, but I think this move makes sense. Seed has always been pretty popular and there are enough new scenes to warrant a dub of the remastered versions of both Seed and Destiny. I love the original dub, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't planning on buying this once it gets released. Even if I hate the new dub, the sub version is still there.

I liked the remaster, despite how it reconned a few things (Kira now accidentally killing Nicol is the most egregious in my opinion), but it fixed animation errors and removed a lot of the stock footage. In the end, I'm excited to get a version that will hopefully be on bluray.

Anyway, what do you guys think? I am a Seed fan so consider me tentatively excited, but I can imagine this could be exasperating for some of you. I also wonder if this means some of the older Gundam dubs could get a new one? Personally I would love a Zeta redub since those voices always fell flat for me...but G-Gundam and Wing are pretty iconic. On the other hand, I would have said the same thing about Gundam Seed/Destiny before this news, so who knows?
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
AmuroNT1

Re: Gundam Seed/Destiny Remaster Gets (re)Dub

While I think that's a good cast with plenty of talent, you just couldn't pay me to care about Seed anymore.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Henyo

aw man. i stopped at episode 10 of SEED remastered dub. now i'm a bit conflicted. i'm a dub fan so i want to try this new dub. at the same time i already got used to the original English dub. but then again, JYB as Dearka...ah decisions...

BTW, i read that aside from pantsu there was another fanservcy thing that was added in Destiny Remastered. is this true?
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
Deathzealot

Some interesting choices for Voice Work we got several who took part in the English Dub of IBO, including a couple who played leading roles in that show, and a few others who took part in the dub of the December Sky movie. The two leading ladies, Lacus (Stephanie Sheh) and Cagalli (Cherami Leigh) have quite a long list of anime they were in. My only real complaint is I hope Ms. Sheh can sing for that is one major part of Lacus character. So I am quite excited for this Dub, hope they start streaming it on either Crunchyroll or the GundamInfo Youtube Channel for it should be interesting.

EDIT: Nevermind. Just saw they are going to stream it on Hulu. /Sigh/
Dark Duel

AmuroNT1 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:25 pm While I think that's a good cast with plenty of talent, you just couldn't pay me to care about Seed anymore.
That, right there, pretty much sums up my opinion as well on the subject.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
LightningCount

Soma Taozi wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:12 am Kind of wish they dubbed some of the rightstuff releases...I also wonder if this means some of the older Gundam dubs could get a new one? Personally I would love a Zeta redub since those voices always fell flat for me...but G-Gundam and Wing are pretty iconic. On the other hand, I would have said the same thing about Gundam Seed/Destiny before this news, so who knows?
Soma, here's what I've read and heard about dubs going forward. First off, anything requires the approval of Sunrise, but after that, here's the situation: Something with a decent pre-existing dub, so long as it doesn't have to be reworked into recut footage (like SEED/Destiny Remastered or Escaflowne), is pretty unlikely to see a new dub. So, Wing, G, Zeta proper...they're probably not going to be touched. However, anything that has never been dubbed now has some level of chance, pending Sunrise approval, via Kickstarter. I touched on this in another thread, but here's how it goes: Nozomi/RightStuf is doing a Kickstarter for dubbing an anime called ARIA. (Already funded at this point.) If this model proves successful, they might eventually apply it to other Nozomi titles. Within that scope, I thought I heard that Gundam titles could be a possibility if Sunrise approves. I'm having trouble finding that quote now, though. I was pretty sure I heard it in this video, but I can't find it now: https://www.facebook.com/rightstuf/vide ... Wv1hXQXiYk Maybe I misheard something...but even so, the model so far is showing that it could work with ARIA, which could give Sunrise more confidence to green light such an endeavor.

Related to that: While I was sadly unable to see the Gundam Wing panel, I did stream watch the RightStuf/Nozomi Otakon Panel. I reported on a lot of Gundam news: http://mechatalk.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17326
Soma Taozi wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:12 am ...I think this move makes sense. Seed has always been pretty popular and there are enough new scenes to warrant a dub of the remastered versions of both Seed and Destiny. I love the original dub, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't planning on buying this once it gets released. Even if I hate the new dub, the sub version is still there.

I liked the remaster, despite how it reconned a few things (Kira now accidentally killing Nicol is the most egregious in my opinion), but it fixed animation errors and removed a lot of the stock footage. In the end, I'm excited to get a version that will hopefully be on bluray.

Anyway, what do you guys think? I am a Seed fan so consider me tentatively excited, but I can imagine this could be exasperating for some of you.
I was surprised at first, but I see how the recut/reworked footage could be of interest. I never finished either broadcast of the Remastered stuff, so I don't know if it's worth it or not for me. (I don't think it cleaned up how Kira got to the reverend's place, did it? That's still manga only, right? That part always bugged me.) I like parts of CE, and thought it should get its close-out movie, but I'm not in a hurry to double dip. If this leads to a Stargazer dub, that'd be neat. But in the end, I really want X and Turn-A dubbed more than anything.
Last edited by LightningCount on Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
BrentD15

Dark Duel wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:30 am
AmuroNT1 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:25 pm While I think that's a good cast with plenty of talent, you just couldn't pay me to care about Seed anymore.
That, right there, pretty much sums up my opinion as well on the subject.
Same.
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
Deathzealot

Honestly, I will always be a Gundam Seed fanboy!?! It's was the show that got me into mainstream anime and into Gundam proper. Therefore, I am quite happy about this news, but I won't go and get the Blu-rays or DVDs that will be released due to this new Dub. That is why I'm hoping that this will be shown on a online stream site as well. This is mainly because little money available for anime and no real motivation to get DVDs or Blu-Rays even if this series is one of my favorites.
Soma Taozi

BrentD15 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:23 am 15 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:23 am

Dark Duel wrote: ↑Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:30 am
A
That is what I expected, but I fall in Deathzealot in how much Seed means to me as a fan and how it got me into this wide world of Gundam.
LightningCount wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:54 pm
Soma Taozi wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:12 am Kind of wish they dubbed some of the rightstuff releases...I also wonder if this means some of the older Gundam dubs could get a new one? Personally I would love a Zeta redub since those voices always fell flat for me...but G-Gundam and Wing are pretty iconic. On the other hand, I would have said the same thing about Gundam Seed/Destiny before this news, so who knows?
Soma, here's what I've read and heard about dubs going forward. First off, anything requires the approval of Sunrise, but after that, here's the situation: Something with a decent pre-existing dub, so long as it doesn't have to be reworked into recut footage (like SEED/Destiny Remastered or Escaflowne), is pretty unlikely to see a new dub. So, Wing, G, Zeta proper...they're probably not going to be touched. However, anything that has never been dubbed now has some level of chance, pending Sunrise approval, via Kickstarter. I touched on this in another thread, but here's how it goes: Nozomi/RightStuf is doing a Kickstarter for dubbing an anime called ARIA. (Already funded at this point.) If this model proves successful, they might eventually apply it to other Nozomi titles. Within that scope, I thought I heard that Gundam titles could be a possibility if Sunrise approves. I'm having trouble finding that quote now, though. I was pretty sure I heard it in this video, but I can't find it now: https://www.facebook.com/rightstuf/vide ... Wv1hXQXiYk Maybe I misheard something...but even so, the model so far is showing that it could work with ARIA, which could give Sunrise more confidence to green light such an endeavor.

Related to that: While I was sadly unable to see the Gundam Wing panel, I did stream watch the RightStuf/Nozomi Otakon Panel. I reported on a lot of Gundam news: http://mechatalk.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17326
Soma Taozi wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:12 am ...I think this move makes sense. Seed has always been pretty popular and there are enough new scenes to warrant a dub of the remastered versions of both Seed and Destiny. I love the original dub, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't planning on buying this once it gets released. Even if I hate the new dub, the sub version is still there.

Anyway, what do you guys think? I am a Seed fan so consider me tentatively excited, but I can imagine this could be exasperating for some of you.
I was surprised at first, but I see how the recut/reworked footage could be of interest. I never finished either broadcast of the Remastered stuff, so I don't know if it's worth it or not for me. (I don't think it cleaned up how Kira got to the reverend's place, did it? That's still manga only, right? That part always bugged me.) I like parts of CE, and thought it should get its close-out movie, but I'm not in a hurry to double dip. If this leads to a Stargazer dub, that'd be neat. But in the end, I really want X and Turn-A dubbed more than anything.
Good to see you again Lightning, in fact it looks like a lot of us old folks are coming out of the woodwork. (Aw! You guys!). Also I just noticed your previous thread mentioning this topic in passing. Probably should have just replied to yours. Too late now. :oops:

Regarding Escaflowne, I was under the impression Funimation did a kickstarter in order to (re)dub that anime. Was there a kickstarter for Gundam Seed or did Sunrise decide to dub it because Escaflowne did well? I guess I am a little unclear on the connection between the two companies.

I own both parts of the RightStuff release of Turn A...and will be rather annoyed if that series gets a dub now. Gundam X would be a different story, although I wonder if Sunrise will ever consider doing that since I got the impression (from this site and others) that they see Gundam X as a failure.

Unfortunately how Kira got to the Reverend's place was never corrected, really the Remaster fixed more cosmetic things in Seed and Destiny, it did less work with the overall story (unless you could removing clipshow episodes and adding Between the Stars to the final Seed episode).

No matter what, this is some fascinating stuff. Thanks for doing the legwork Lightning!

Side-note: I wonder if this release will force Chris to (re)review Gundam Seed and Destiny? He reviewed Unicorn 0097 after all...hmm...
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
LightningCount

Soma Taozi wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:07 pm Good to see you again Lightning, in fact it looks like a lot of us old folks are coming out of the woodwork. (Aw! You guys!). Also I just noticed your previous thread mentioning this topic in passing. Probably should have just replied to yours. Too late now. :oops:

Regarding Escaflowne, I was under the impression Funimation did a kickstarter in order to (re)dub that anime. Was there a kickstarter for Gundam Seed or did Sunrise decide to dub it because Escaflowne did well? I guess I am a little unclear on the connection between the two companies.

I own both parts of the RightStuff release of Turn A...and will be rather annoyed if that series gets a dub now. Gundam X would be a different story, although I wonder if Sunrise will ever consider doing that since I got the impression (from this site and others) that they see Gundam X as a failure.

Unfortunately how Kira got to the Reverend's place was never corrected, really the Remaster fixed more cosmetic things in Seed and Destiny, it did less work with the overall story (unless you could removing clipshow episodes and adding Between the Stars to the final Seed episode).

No matter what, this is some fascinating stuff. Thanks for doing the legwork Lightning!

Side-note: I wonder if this release will force Chris to (re)review Gundam Seed and Destiny? He reviewed Unicorn 0097 after all...hmm...
Hi, Soma! Thanks for the shout-out, and don't worry about the thread topic. This has a little different spin to it, and I didn't include the dub cast list. Yeah, I'm slowly working my way back here bit by bit.

Anyway, regarding Escaflowne, I brought it up because the version Funimation released was the director's cut that had a different arrangement of scenes/extra scenes; that was the primary reason a redub was needed. The old dub couldn't be used for the extra footage of that cut of the show, much in the same way the Remastered SEED & Destiny wouldn't be able to.

There was no Kickstarter for SEED, no. I just brought it up because SEED and Escaflowne are exceptions to the rule of redubbing something that was already dubbed. (Rather than, say, your hopes for Zeta TV.) It's about the footage being used. Hopefully that clears that up. However, future dubs of old stuff that were never dubbed would probably employ Kickstarter, though no guarantees on that. But the ARIA Kickstarter is doing crazy numbers in a short amount of time, which bodes well for something happening at some point, I'd think. (Or maybe I'm just doing wishful thinking.)

If there ever was a dub for Turn-A, perhaps RightStuf might do some kind of discount trade-in program for you like they did with the Turn-A Blu-rays from the Turn-A DVDs.

As for Gundam X, like you, I thought there was dislike for it. But Sunrise producer Hideyuki Tomioka, who worked on X, seemed to be pretty positive about the show at Otakon and was looking forward to its Blu-ray release in Japan--even basically leaking that info publicly during Nozomi's panel. Like me, he seemed to give off the vibe that G, Wing, and X were three peas in a pod. That doesn't mean it will get dubbed (or that all is forgiven for its likely poorer performance overall), but the fact that it's going to get a Blu-ray release is a good sign of some healing there. I assume and hope it's remastered footage, which that show needs. I got the first RightStuf DVD set of it, but was lukewarm about the transfer and some of the subtitles--some of the location names were off, for instance. Still, I'll probably get the second set at some point to show my support for the series getting future support.

As for Chris re-reviewing SEED and company...maybe, but I can't imagine it's high on his list of things to do. I did see some of the cleaned-up/added footage, and some of it is pretty nice. They seemed to flesh out Athrun vs. Kira's would-be death match in terms of their Gundams' movement. I do like the idea of filler being cut out, too. There are rumors they might bring back some of the old voice actors, by the way--like maybe Rau and Mu--which if true, will make this redub even weirder. My experience with Cosmic Era just isn't diehard, though, like I said. SEED did a lot of interesting things with some standout moments and really came together the further it went along, but too much of it tried to be an updated 0079 for my tastes. Destiny then had a really strong start in my opinion, playing with the ideas from the latter parts of SEED, and did some of the best political maneuvering since Wing with Durandal; but as it is often said, it sort of left a head-scratching impression by the end with its drop in quality. Stargazer was really good, but too short. I had hoped the sequel "Movie" might balance everything out somehow, but then that never happened. So, while I certainly don't dislike C.E., I also am not sure where to place its shows in my list of favorite Gundam entries, and therefore lukewarm on the new dub/transfer outside of a curiosity. Still, with each passing year, my respect for it, even with its flaws, grows. You noting they cheapened Nicol's death is concerning, though.

Last note, I updated my Otakon report with more behind-the-scenes Wing info I've gathered from the panel reports.
Last edited by LightningCount on Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
Deathzealot

I just hope they don't use the same people that are currently doing the Build Fighters/Try English Dub. Gah.
Amion

Thank you, Amuro.

Oh, and hey, Soma!

My work here is done.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
LightningCount

Deathzealot wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:37 am I just hope they don't use the same people that are currently doing the Build Fighters/Try English Dub. Gah.
I assume you're talking about potential future Gundam Kickstarter dub projects versus the solely Sunrise-commissioned SEED/Destiny Remastered, and in that case, there are probably only three choices, and none of them would be the Build Fighters/Try Dub crew.

Choice 1: Headline Studios - They are the team working with Nozomi/RightStuf in their current ARIA campaign, which means they will probably be most familiar with the Kickstarter production process and stretching the money. Apparently when the anime boom died down, they lost clients and therefore haven't done a lot of anime dubbing as of late, their talent moving to other studios to get contract work. They still have connections with voice actors, though, and are pulling that back together for ARIA. Previously, their work includes stuff like: Boogiepop Phantom, Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight, The Third: The Girl with the Blue Eye, Boys Be..., Gravitation, and His and Her Circumstances. Nozomi/RightStuf has basically gone on the record saying they have supreme confidence in their abilities.

Choice 2: If Sunrise would get really hands-on with a potential Kickstarter, it'll probably be their new go-to studio, NYAV Post, which is doing the SEED Remastered and previously did Unicorn and Thunderbolt.

Choice 3: Bang Zoom! Entertainment - A studio that has done countless mainstream dubs we all know, most recently making their Gundam debut with Iron Blooded Orphans.

I imagine NYAV Post and Bang Zoom! Entertainment will get the bulk of brand-new Gundam shows, so depending on timing and the amount of investment, it could fall to Headline Studios to dub older, previously un-dubbed Gundam entries--if it comes to pass at all.
Last edited by LightningCount on Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deathzealot

Errr... No, I meant the current English Dubs being posted on the GundamInfo YouTube Channel. They suck...a lot!?!
LightningCount

Deathzealot wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:10 pm Errr... No, I meant the current English Dubs being posted on the GundamInfo YouTube Channel. They suck...a lot!?!
Yeah, and I was just saying that it'd be one of the three studios I noted, not the people doing the Gundam Build Fighters/Try stuff. If I'm not mistaken, those were dubs done overseas for an international audience in the Philippines. So, they're not the typical North American dub you hear for Gundam. It's more like the somewhat infamous international English dub of ZZ Gundam, I gather.

As I understand it, RightStuf decided to slap this dub on their releases in North America basically as an acknowledgement that people want the "option" of an English dub, and did so before there was any toying with the idea that Sunrise might step in to expand dubbing with North American studios again or that there could be a potential compromise met with Kickstarter. (It's also possible that Sunrise commanded it to be included, thinking it might be a solution to the English language demand at the time.) So, at the time this dub was provided in North America, prior to this Youtube airing, it was basically this or nothing. But the game is now potentially starting to change. You're just seeing the well-intentioned but unfortunate afterimage of the old game.
Deathzealot

Ah. Misunderstand you for a second. Anything on if they are showing this Dub on Stream Sites? Because, like I mentioned earlier I am not going to fork over the cash for a Complete DVD/Blu-Ray when I already have the series on DVD, and a file on my computer with the Remastered Version in it.
krullnar

Yes and who is this for a company just doesn't do something if there is no money involved so who are they re(dub)ing this for? I remember the Remaster got a dub so why do it again, I just don't know how i feel about ed and edd not being kira and athrun. That and the obvious canadian accent that matt hill has as kira.
ShadowCell - Mr. T doesn't read YouTube comments. Neither does Jesus. Or MacGuyver. Don't you want to be like Mr. T, Jesus, and MacGuyver?
Chris
Administrator

Soma Taozi wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:07 pmSide-note: I wonder if this release will force Chris to (re)review Gundam Seed and Destiny? He reviewed Unicorn 0097 after all...hmm...
I'd hardly call what I did with RE:0096 a "review." Since they chopped up the OVA to make TV episodes, I did the exact same thing with my reviews. All I did was take screenshots and commented on how things worked as 22-minute episodes. I never watched the SEED or GSD remaster, and I don't see myself going back to reviews unless there's so much different to warrant it.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
MarshalBraginsky

Just out of curiosity, will they announce the date of the broadcasting of the (re)dubbed Gundam SEED episodes?
Soma Taozi

Chris wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:48 pm
Soma Taozi wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:07 pmSide-note: I wonder if this release will force Chris to (re)review Gundam Seed and Destiny? He reviewed Unicorn 0097 after all...hmm...
I'd hardly call what I did with RE:0096 a "review." Since they chopped up the OVA to make TV episodes, I did the exact same thing with my reviews. All I did was take screenshots and commented on how things worked as 22-minute episodes. I never watched the SEED or GSD remaster, and I don't see myself going back to reviews unless there's so much different to warrant it.
That's fair. In terms of the remaster it really can go either way in terms of content that is "worth reviewing." Mixing in content from the movies/OVA and removing clipshows changed the flow of the story and some of the animation alterations can be seen as fundamental story changes in terms of character actions....HOWEVER, the story itself has stayed basically the same and if you have no compulsion to rewatch the stories of GS and GSD at the moment, I don't blame you. It is how the story is told that has been impacted in varying degrees.
MarshalBraginsky wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:44 pm Just out of curiosity, will they announce the date of the broadcasting of the (re)dubbed Gundam SEED episodes?
I am not sure if they will rebroadcast the show, unless toonami gets a hold of it. I am assuming they will release the bluerays and that will be the extent of it. I suppose there is a chance gundaminfo on youtube will upload them to the site? Since they did that with the IBO dub.

At this moment they are putting the cast together, so I wouldn't expect anything until at least 2018.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... st/.122765

More cast members announced...I am personally excited for Kevin T. Collins (GRIFFITH!) as Rau and Carrie Keranen (Caska) as Murrue. None of the original cast came back unfortunately, but the world needs more Kevin T Collins so that makes me happy.

-Me, 7/19/2020