Knight's & Magic

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Deathzealot

Re: Knight's & Magic

Honestly, yazi I think with this episode the "Dream Mech" Arc is over and we are now going to get a bit more serious. The thing about this show is that Ernesti and his fanboying along with the mechs make it a interesting show to watch. I also agree that the damn time-skips are becoming quite annoying. I sometimes wonder how this series would look with two cours or even a full fifty episode series.
AmuroNT1

Deathzealot wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:14 amThe thing about this show is that Ernesti and his fanboying along with the mechs make it a interesting show to watch.
How does Ernie geeking out over the robots make the show interesting? The idea of him bringing in concepts that are hundreds of years in advance thanks to his being a robot fanboy is one thing, but him just squealing like a kid on Christmas morning every time he sees a robot is kind of wearing thin.

I'm not trying to sound critical or insulting, maybe it's just something I've missed.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Deathzealot

Sigh. Your right the fanboying was interesting, and funny the first few times, but it is getting a bit old I think. Maybe I should have said Ernesti's journey to getting his own imagined dream mech that is interesting. Which thankfully is finally over. Though I wonder what happens with the Toybox now that he has the Ikaruga, will it go to one of the other characters in the time-honored fashion or will it just be left behind somewhere collecting dust.
MythSearcher

Deathzealot wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:14 am Honestly, yazi I think with this episode the "Dream Mech" Arc is over and we are now going to get a bit more serious. The thing about this show is that Ernesti and his fanboying along with the mechs make it a interesting show to watch. I also agree that the damn time-skips are becoming quite annoying. I sometimes wonder how this series would look with two cours or even a full fifty episode series.
The reason of the time skip is mainly because they are the opposite of fillers.
The original web novel has much more happening in between that is not really that interesting, but contains character development and explanation of stuff, where in the anime, it would be way too boring to show and contains very little fight scenes for a mecha show.
I actually didn't think they'd cut out the short school arc in the anime before the show aired, and have trouble fitting the arcs into a single season. It'd be stupid to have no main mecha for Ernesti in the first season, so they must at least get to part 5 of the story in the season, it took them 8 eps to do so, so I guess cutting most of part 1 and 2 would be a reasonable thing to do.(They ended part 2 in ep 2)

BTW, new mecha design in twitter:
Toybox 2.
https://twitter.com/TENJIN_hidetaka/sta ... 3388189697
AmuroNT1

I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm being hyper-critical of this show, I really do want to like it but I'm not going to ignore its flaws. There are aspects I like, but at the moment the problems are weighing pretty heavily on it.
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

MythSearcher

AmuroNT1 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:46 am I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm being hyper-critical of this show, I really do want to like it but I'm not going to ignore its flaws. There are aspects I like, but at the moment the problems are weighing pretty heavily on it.
Same here.

I watch it because I have read the novel, but I really hate the super fast skipping with narratives.
On the other hand, I don't really like the novel's plot either, the concept of building robots in a fantasy world is pretty fun, but the execution isn't that great. I am more of a real robot person, and mostly don't like super robot shows. This show basically slaps you in the face with the hero in which all the others will be fighting as real robots and he himself will be clearing the field with his super robot.

The fun thing is, ep 8 ant fighting part isn't novel plot at all.
They added the queen ant heart to make it a bit more reasonable for Ikaruga's over powered performance, but since that was not in the novel, the tension of fighting that is completely low.
(The novel used a normal reactor to pair with the behemoth's heart)
However, if they stick to the novel, you will have a complete ep without any robot fighting because the visit to the village was mostly talk. Ernesti did had a chance of attacking Kitley, as a test of his abilities, but that's it.

A super robot fan friend of mine said the show was mainly transformed into more like the old super robot shows, and toned down on the other aspects and focused on the robots, and seems like old timers do like the show better than newer viewers who are more familiar with shows after mid 80's.

BTW, if I am in the same position, sadly, the first thing you see will be magical jet fighters because humanoids are inefficient within the atmosphere.
Deathzealot

Crossposting from Sufficient Velocity.

Woah. That is the only thing I can say about this episode! Besides the bit about the sound effects in the opening being a bit distinct then normal. We are now getting in the series portion of the story. Though we still get Ernesti doing his fan-boy bit, with the new enemy Silhouette Knights. Think he would be a bit more upset over someone stealing his tech, I know I would be a bit upset, but it is Ernesti after all. Sigh. We also get the combat debut of the Ikaruga in this episode and the damn thing is a freaking monster. God. I feel sorry for the poor SOBs that have to fight it and Ernesti. I also found it amusing that the Order of Silver Phoenix is working a bit "undercover" here. Anyways, an interesting episode. It really has gotten my blood pumping and I can't wait for the next episode.
AmuroNT1

I liked the fighting this episode, but the fact that this new enemy faction is just monolithically and almost cartoonishly evil makes them a little hard to take seriously.

yazi88

BTW.. Eru is 17 now according to the novel at this time... a good couple of years have past since his first knight runner battle... yet neither he nor his 2 school friends look any different...
Deathzealot

Really? Now that is interesting. I assumed it was only a year or so has gone by... Damn.
MythSearcher

Deathzealot wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:46 pm Really? Now that is interesting. I assumed it was only a year or so has gone by... Damn.
They graduated from a high school equivalent.
Deathzealot

I thought that was the middle school section of their academy or something!?!
Amion

Maybe they're skewing the timeline so the plot events happen faster to fit the number of episodes. It would be jarring for all our younger characters, including our favorite mecha chibi, to age several years in between episodes...

Though episode 8 or 9 gave opportunities for this, if they were ever going to bother.

Oh, and the Gundam came out to play this episode. Ikaruga, was it? Scary, and badass, simply put. I want one. No... I dare say I NEED one. Truth be told, I like its design better than any Gundam I can think of, or MS, for that matter. It's also nice to see that the owner of the Ikaruga has no qualms about using his "Reaper" to reap. *Twisted smile* I laughed quite loudly at his talk of obtaining more "product".

So I guess we know what Ernesti thinks of war: opportunity to collect trophies. Only instead of heads he's going for the mecha.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
yazi88

No, its just weird editing/fast pacing with the time skips, this is a 13 ep show after all, not 25 eps. They didn't make the characters look any older in the anime, but to be fair the novels didn't do that either...
AmuroNT1

It makes sense that a fair bit of time is passing; just consider the fact that about five episodes ago we had the mech get stolen by the bad guys, and then this week it's been reverse-engineered and developed into an army of hundreds, if not more, mass-produced new units, new elite units for people like the prince and Fighter from 8-Bit Theater, PLUS flying dropships. Like Yazi said, the problem is the fact that there aren't any visual indicators of the passage of time, which can create an odd kind of dissonance when you factor things together. Ernie and his friends SHOULD be going through puberty right about now, but they look exactly the same as they do when they first met, so things seem weird.

MythSearcher

yazi88 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:34 pm No, its just weird editing/fast pacing with the time skips, this is a 13 ep show after all, not 25 eps. They didn't make the characters look any older in the anime, but to be fair the novels didn't do that either...
The novel did said Ernesti is 16 at the start up of Ikaruga.
Art wise, well, at least the book art make him look more mature than the noisy fan boy of the anime(still noisy though).
AmuroNT1 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:42 pm It makes sense that a fair bit of time is passing; just consider the fact that about five episodes ago we had the mech get stolen by the bad guys, and then this week it's been reverse-engineered and developed into an army of hundreds, if not more, mass-produced new units, new elite units for people like the prince and Fighter from 8-Bit Theater, PLUS flying dropships. Like Yazi said, the problem is the fact that there aren't any visual indicators of the passage of time, which can create an odd kind of dissonance when you factor things together. Ernie and his friends SHOULD be going through puberty right about now, but they look exactly the same as they do when they first met, so things seem weird.
The novel did mention Ernesti's small built is like his mom, so you probably won't see him going much taller even after teens. The twins though, I recall the novel did mention they grew to be taller.
Dark Duel

Man, I really need to get caught up on this, I still haven't watched the last episode.
Personally, so far the pacing hasn't really bothered me much, though it does move really quickly through timeskips and I have a bit of a hard time with the fact that Ernesti and the kids haven't visually grown in any way given the amount of time that's implied to have passed.
Tech-wise, I've been happy with what we've seen so far, though I really don't like the design of the Ikaruga(I think that's its name) based on the pics. Dunno, maybe it'll look better in motion, but I really do prefer some of the earliest designs to the newer stuff Ernesti's come up with.
Except the Centaur-bot. Because that thing is just awesome.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
yazi88

Judging from the art I've seen in the novels, Ernesti really doesn't look much different, maybe a little sharper face but that's about it.
MythSearcher

yazi88 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:58 pm Judging from the art I've seen in the novels, Ernesti really doesn't look much different, maybe a little sharper face but that's about it.
Talking only about the comparison of novel art to anime, the novel art does give him a more mature facial expression (despite the obvious kid built) Eyes are sharper, smaller and becoming more serious. Also, lining up book 1~4 you can actually see the difference of the twins to be quite huge. (Ernesti, nevermind, book 7 and book 1 is different though)
You do get something like that in the anime, but overall its more comical.(even after cutting some slack on the SD looks)
Dark Duel

So, a week late, but I finally watched last week's episode, and...
AmuroNT1 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:10 pm I liked the fighting this episode, but the fact that this new enemy faction is just monolithically and almost cartoonishly evil makes them a little hard to take seriously.
Yeah, I completely agree. It's pretty impossible to take these guys seriously, actually, to me. They're so over-the-top Obviously Evil, from their mech designs right down to the way they look, that I have a hard time dealing with it.
Also, the entire plot direction with these guys is right out of a bad 80s cartoon. I mean, they stole another country's more advanced Silhouette Knight technology and mass-produced it for WORLD DOMINATION! Really? That's so cliché it's laughable.

My other big problem with this episode is the Ikaruga. I mean yeah, I know Ernesti is like a reincarnated mecha otaku. But I hate the Ikaruga for the same reason I hated the Sengoku Astray. It's unreasonably overpowered in how easily it takes down opposing units.
From the moment it starts moving on its initial attack to the moment it takes down the last of its opponents, I clocked it at 55 seconds. That's five kills in under a minute - I know we've seen higher kill counts in short timeframes, but for the setting, that's ridiculous to me.

I look at that last blue machine Ernesti had previously(I forget its name), and I look at the Ikaruga...The last one was plausibly advanced, and it had its strengths and weaknesses. The Ikaruga, so far, is portrayed as a god-bot. And I hate those.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."