New Macross TV series in 2018

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Chris
Administrator

New Macross TV series in 2018

Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Arbiter GUNDAM

Re: New Macross TV series in 2018

And here is the newly-announced logo for the 35th Anniversary to go with it. Credit to Tochiro for the pic.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
SonicSP

Huh, that was fairly fast. Anyways, I love Macross so not complaining.
Zeonista

Wow, they are not going to wait another 5-10 years for Kawamori-sensei to get his next Big Idea? Excellent! :D
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Seto Kaiba

The turnaround is unusually fast... maybe they're going to go ahead with the concept Kawamori initially pitched before the producers decided to make Macross Delta.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
pirx

Hope they will disclose fate of Megaroad-01 because i just could not stand being teased with "Lady M" in Delta and some hints about fate of Megaroad-01 being dropped by Berger without any elaboration.
SonicSP

pirx wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:33 am Hope they will disclose fate of Megaroad-01 because i just could not stand being teased with "Lady M" in Delta and some hints about fate of Megaroad-01 being dropped by Berger without any elaboration.
Same here, though a part of now feels like they may have teased it deliberately because they were already planning another TV Series to come out quickly (by Macross standards anyways).
Zeonista

pirx wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:33 am Hope they will disclose fate of Megaroad-01 because i just could not stand being teased with "Lady M" in Delta and some hints about fate of Megaroad-01 being dropped by Berger without any elaboration.
I am still not certain we will ever get the full story, because of Kawamori-sensei and his preferences. However, a few nifty hints & details may be tossed out there as gifts to us longtime fans. Then again, the last year or two has been really good for my certainities of life being overturned. So it's not out of consideration.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Arbiter GUNDAM

In what I assume are events that will be leading into and culminate with the new series, the Galactic Fairy is B A C K :D

--Freyja Wion
SonicSP

Well color me excited.
Arbiter GUNDAM

And so it begins. The great pachinko promotion, er, I mean kickoff to the anniversary

UPDATE: This youtube version might have better audio quality

--Freyja Wion
krullnar

I'm amped especially with Sheryl coming back. Though hope this series is a little less rushed then delta.
ShadowCell - Mr. T doesn't read YouTube comments. Neither does Jesus. Or MacGuyver. Don't you want to be like Mr. T, Jesus, and MacGuyver?
pirx

Found this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8C5XKX8wRc
Audio is jerky but supposedly demonstrates new character from upcoming series.
Looks like human/protodeviln hybrid to me. If this source is even true.
Arbiter GUNDAM

pirx wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:02 am Found this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8C5XKX8wRc
Audio is jerky but supposedly demonstrates new character from upcoming series.
Looks like human/protodeviln hybrid to me. If this source is even true.
Yeah, I don't think so...

--Freyja Wion
Koshernova

I'm excited for another Macross show that tugs at my heartstrings again with love triangles and pop music and is actually good.
"There's always hope tomorrow will be taco night."
Seto Kaiba

Given that I'm still working on translations of all the tech specs and development data for the Delta VFs, I'm left to wonder if this new show is going to introduce yet another new 5th Generation VF (we're up to seven already), or if we'll go backwards in time for the first time since Zero and maybe see somewhere else in the galaxy.

(I'd probably trade a year off my life for an animated adaptation of Macross R.)
The Macross Mecha Manual
yazi88

Kind of weird a new Macross show is coming out before a possible movie(s) version of Delta.
Seto Kaiba

yazi88 wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:04 pm Kind of weird a new Macross show is coming out before a possible movie(s) version of Delta.
Based on the Blu-ray liner notes, a compilation movie doesn't seem to have been part of the Macross Delta plan.

Instead of the familiar format of a TV series followed by a compilation movie that tells an alternate version of the story, the original plan for Macross Delta was to do a 13 episode short series and a movie that would serve as the story's climax and ending. Plans changed while they were storyboarding the first few episodes, and the format became the 26 episode series we got instead. The material earmarked for the movie seems to have become the show's second half... and the idea of a movie seems to have been dropped altogether.
The Macross Mecha Manual
yazi88

Pity, maybe a movie version might happen in the future? Or maybe all the focus will go into the next TV show and Delta might get a OVA or something sometime later during a Anniversary year.
Seto Kaiba

yazi88 wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:28 pm Pity, maybe a movie version might happen in the future? Or maybe all the focus will go into the next TV show and Delta might get a OVA or something sometime later during a Anniversary year.
In all sincerity, I doubt we'd get either.

Kawamori-sensei is pretty well-known for his resistance to doing things like direct sequels. He's never liked the idea of going back to a character or a story where the story arc reached a conclusion and trying to pick it up again. That's why he didn't want to come back to Macross after doing the Flashback 2012 OVA. In his view, the OVA fulfilled the role the events it depicts were supposed to fill when they were originally drafted for Ep36 of the TV series: the epilogue, where the story reaches a satisfying conclusion and our heroes ride off into the sunset to live happily ever after. That's why Macross's individual shows are as stand-alone as he can make them. He's almost erected a one-man shared universe sort of operation, leaving the supplemental works like novels, manga, tech manuals, and video games to do a lot of the legwork drawing deeper connections between the stories.

My expectation is that the Macross Delta story arc is essentially done, but for the novelization and the few manga titles fleshing out some backstory and drawing some additional connections to other titles. (So far the novelization is connecting to Macross R, Macross Frontier, and a few minor titles.)
The Macross Mecha Manual