A bunch of assorted Gundam UC questions

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
mic1402

A bunch of assorted Gundam UC questions

Hi, long time lurker here. Got a number of questions about the UC that have been rumbling around in my head for a bit now. Trawled though the archives of the forum quite a bit, but couldn’t find answers to these. (A number of these questions where brought up by said trawling.)

UC Questions.
1. Why did Ramba Ral stay in the zeon army after the one week battle? Do we ever get an explanation for this? In addition did he know that casval and artesia where sent to earth? (First gundam cannon, not orgin).

2. When did the aeug/karaba start integrating with the earth federation, and disband? Also what episode of ZZ is does this occur? I tried looking through the episodes myself but couldn’t find anything.

3. In side materials is it ever explained how the federation is run? EG: how the president is elected, how much power he/she has, who gets to vote.

4. Federation holdouts on earth during the OYW other than jaburo. EG: where did the federation forces that attacked oddessa come from?

5. On that topic while trawling through the archives of the forum I found a reference to a existence of a map of the areas on earth that zeon occupied. Does any still anyone have that?

6. The bigness of things: This is more a conflict between animated works and side stories more than anything else, but how “Big” were the gryps conflict and the first Neo-zeon war? As side materials seem to imply that there was decent amount stuff going on off screen. ZZ does this itself, by pretty much just focusing on the argma, and leaving much too just dialog about stuff going off screen. Like how big was aeug and titans? Was the entirety of their forces present at the final battle?
"You reap what you sow, Artyom: force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death. To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without any thought or doubt."- Kahn, metro 2033
Brave Fencer Kirby

Re: A bunch of assorted Gundam UC questions

We never get much detail on the organization of the Federation government, as far as I'm aware. The main governing body seems to be the Federation Assembly (Char gives his big speech to them in Zeta, and they declare the Titans outlaws), which is a parliament-style body, but if there's any head executive like a president or prime minister, we never hear about it to my knowledge.

The main Federation-held territory on Earth during the OYW were South America (ie, Jaburo) and western Europe (this is where the troops used in Operation Odessa come from, and White Base stops off in Belfast, Ireland before heading across the Atlantic). Those are the only two real strongholds, in that they were never seriously threatened by Zeon troops, but other less-secure Federation-held locations include Australia (particularly the Torrington base) and southeast Asia (the Kojima battalion).
Fighting evil so you don't have to!
Zeonista

Good questions for a fan looking to broadien their UC horizons! :)
mic1402 wrote:1.Why did Ramba Ral stay in the zeon army after the one week battle? Do we ever get an explanation for this? In addition did he know that casval and artesia where sent to earth? (First gundam cannon, not orgin).
One may be a loyal adherent to the ideals of Zeon, and yet not be a lacky of the Zabi family. So Ramba Ral was under no obligation to retire from Principality service. Plus, he was to valuable to throw away. Ace pilots and tried battle leaders don't grow on trees, so he could still be used on Earth, where the war hung in the balance.

He did know that Casval and Artesia had been taken to Earth, since after all his father Jinba Ral had done so. Meeting Sayla on board White Base was a bit of a surprise after so many years. It served as a plot reveal of her background, which was backed up later on.
2. When did the aeug/karaba start integrating with the earth federation, and disband? Also what episode of ZZ is does this occur? I tried looking through the episodes myself but couldn’t find anything.
AEUG and Karaba came into existence about the same time as AEUG. Although Karaba was composed of Earthnoids, they were sympathetic to AEUG and concerned about the rise of the Titans. Karaba functioned at first as logistics and legal & intelligence support for AEUG on Earth, but later on developed their own paramilitary forces. By 0088 they were a joint force against the Titans & then the Axis Neo-Zeon. After the First Neo-Zeon War (as detailed in Double Zeta anime) both agencies disbanded, with members joining the Earth Federation Forces if they wanted to do so.
3. In side materials is it ever explained how the federation is run? EG: how the president is elected, how much power he/she has, who gets to vote.
To the best of my knowledge the exact details have never been given to us in any meaningful way. We usually see the Federation from the POV of Joe Average hero, so Tomino and his successors have not been in a hurry to give a strategic view, except in broad strokes. We know a few things.
1. The president does not have a lot of actual power. Otherwise he would have a larger role in the stories! The legislative assembly and the bureaucrats do most of the work.
2. The various ministries have a lot of authority. Part of this comes from the great effort of constructing the Side colonies , and part of this is the fulfillment of Pournelle's Law.
3. The Side colonies and Lunar city-states have no direct representation or electoral franchise in the Federation government.

6. The bigness of things: This is more a conflict between animated works and side stories more than anything else, but how “Big” were the gryps conflict and the first Neo-zeon war? As side materials seem to imply that there was decent amount stuff going on off screen. ZZ does this itself, by pretty much just focusing on the argma, and leaving much too just dialog about stuff going off screen. Like how big was aeug and titans? Was the entirety of their forces present at the final battle?
The Gryps War and First Neo Zeon War were nowhere as large as the One Year War. There was a lot happening in places, and a lot of propaganda and info war going both ways. But the fighting was not universal, and days could pass without a shot being fired.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
HalfDemonInuyasha

In terms of the AEUG and Karaba, it was after ZZ was over that they fully disbanded and folded back into the Federation (Judau even refers to the fleets separately when they arrived after everything was over).

In terms of how big things were, as mentioned, no conflict afterwards was anywhere near as huge as the One Year War, but were much more isolated overall. Basically, regarding the Earth Federation, the following conflicts only involved a relatively small portion of the Earth Federation Forces and/or special groups created by the Federation, and not everything that it had at its disposal. Even the Second Neo Zeon War was really JUST Londo Bell's forces a majority of the time (until the very end, when we finally see regular Federation Forces launching their mobile suits in response to seeing the light of the Psyco-frame from Axis) or Victory Gundam only involving a couple local Federation bases, IIRC.
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
yazi88

IIRC, the last time we've seen the Federation fighting with all its might was around the end of the Zanscare Conflict in Victory Gundam.... Even though the EF military was a shadow of its self, they took a long time building up their outdated and outmatched forces to back up the League Militare
zetatype

Zeonista wrote:Good questions for a fan looking to broadien their UC horizons! :)
mic1402 wrote:1.Why did Ramba Ral stay in the zeon army after the one week battle? Do we ever get an explanation for this? In addition did he know that casval and artesia where sent to earth? (First gundam cannon, not orgin).
One may be a loyal adherent to the ideals of Zeon, and yet not be a lacky of the Zabi family.
But didn't Ramba Ral volunteer to hunt down the White Base specifically to avenge Garma? Seems odd that he would want to avenge Garma unless he was loyal to the Zabis to some degree.
Chris
Administrator

zetatype wrote:But didn't Ramba Ral volunteer to hunt down the White Base specifically to avenge Garma? Seems odd that he would want to avenge Garma unless he was loyal to the Zabis to some degree.
If you'll recall, he told Hamon during their introduction that if he completed this mission, it would mean a promotion for him and in turn advancement for all the men under him. So I think he took this more for strategic career advancement rather than out of love for the Zabis.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Deacon Blues

Zeonista wrote:3. The Side colonies and Lunar city-states have no direct representation or electoral franchise in the Federation government.
Was there a source for this? Gundam 0083 does point out that they're worried about the colony drop onto Luna, but whether the Federation officials present at the table are reps of space or not, who knows... they just don't want the political situation to change.

On that note... was that guy with the mustache in Ep 11 the same Captain from Zeta that Scirocco throws around?
Amion

Deacon Blues wrote:
Zeonista wrote:3. The Side colonies and Lunar city-states have no direct representation or electoral franchise in the Federation government.
Was there a source for this? Gundam 0083 does point out that they're worried about the colony drop onto Luna, but whether the Federation officials present at the table are reps of space or not, who knows... they just don't want the political situation to change.
I'm thinking Zeta? Don't some of the AEUG leadership get into this subject? Other then that, the first on-screen source I can think of would be... Quess. :twisted:
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
bilbros

On that note... was that guy with the mustache in Ep 11 the same Captain from Zeta that Scirocco throws around?
Yes, albeit on the 0083 materials he's usually referred to as "high officer D" (or msomething like that), this is clearly Ted Ayachi, who in Zeta will command the Alexandria class Hario.
By the way, in 0083 we see also the future Char's Neo Zeon member Horst Harnes among the Axis high officers, whereas a guy closely resembling another CCA character (i.e. Kaises M. Buyer) can be recognized in the group of EFG politicians (in this latter case, however, I dont think he's intended to be the same person, also because in the C.D.A manga Kaises is a member of the Republic of Zeon, not of the Earth government).
Deacon Blues

bilbros wrote:
Yes, albeit on the 0083 materials he's usually referred to as "high officer D" (or msomething like that), this is clearly Ted Ayachi, who in Zeta will command the Alexandria class Hario.
By the way, in 0083 we see also the future Char's Neo Zeon member Horst Harnes among the Axis high officers, whereas a guy closely resembling another CCA character (i.e. Kaises M. Buyer) can be recognized in the group of EFG politicians (in this latter case, however, I dont think he's intended to be the same person, also because in the C.D.A manga Kaises is a member of the Republic of Zeon, not of the Earth government).
The only problem with that guy being Ted Ayachi is that he is demoted come Zeta... unless they're spinning it into a "he was demoted due to the dealings with the Delaz situation". The character is clearly ranked as a Captain in 0083 but if memory serves me he was only a Lt. Commander in Zeta.

Admiral Clemmens (Usually Official C) also shows up, but I can't recall if the date of his arrival matches that from CDA...
bilbros

Admiral Clemmens (Usually Official C) also shows up, but I can't recall if the date of his arrival matches that from CDA...
I've just checked, and times seem quite fine: the 0083 scenes in which he's seen are most probably set in November 0083 (at least, tehy're at the beginning of the episode where Gato attacks Konpeitoh), while in CDA we're told he arrives at Axis on August of the same year (the day Maharaja dies).