[Yatate Bunko] - Mobile Suit Gundam Twilight Axis

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Deacon Blues

[Yatate Bunko] - Mobile Suit Gundam Twilight Axis

A new Gundam sidestory novel called "Mobile Suit Gundam Twilight Axis" begins serialization in October on the Yatate Bunko website.

機動戦士ガンダム TWILIGHT AXIS
MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM TWILIGHT AXIS

Original Work: Hajime Yatate & Yoshiyuki Tomino (From Mobile Suit Gundam)
Cooperation: Sunrise
Story Composition & Design Cooperation: Ark Performance
Author: Kojiro Nakamura

SUMMARY

Universal Century 0096. Several months have passed since the incident surrounding Laplace's box also known as the the Universal Century Charter. The Earth Federation Forces dispatches a group of investigators to the severed Axis which is drifting outside the Earth Sphere. Two civilians participate as members of the research group: Arlette Almage and Danton Hyleg. Both have pasts with government service to the Principality of Zeon and Neo Zeon as an engineer and test pilot. Having infiltrated Axis, the investigators come under attack inside a base where no one should be. Arlette and Dalton are confronted with an incident they never imagined.

CHARACTERS & MECHANICS

Arlette Almage: A talented woman who took part in weapons development for the Principality of Zeon during the One Year War. She escaped to Axis following the battle at A Baoa Qu. After that, she participated in a wide range of technological developments at Axis. Following the end of the Second Neo Zeon War, she lives with Danton on Side 6 where she accepts an invitation from the Federation Forces Special Forces to return to Axis.

Danton Hyleg: A young test pilot of the Principality of Zeon during the One Year War who was tasked with data acquisition on the battlefield. Following the war, he returns to the Earth Sphere on Axis with Arlette. Although he lived a reclusive life with Arlette following the Axis Shock, but he will once again face his past on Axis.

Zaku III Custom: Developed at Axis during the First Neo Zeon War, it is a mobile suit that is related to the MS-06 Zaku. Heavily armored and equipped with integrated weaponry, the suit is a Commander-type equipped with high mobility options. The suit which makes its appearance was based around the color "red," which had never been seen until now.
Amion

Re: [Yatate Bunko] - Mobile Suit Gundam Twilight Axis

Oh no. The Unicorn sequel...

That's the only thing I could think of, and I find it sad that my first reaction is disappointment. It's always bugged me that they never had something like this before. I mean, shouldn't someone have made a base or colony or mining facility out of Axis? Maybe even Newtype lab? It's like the Feddies just sort of abandoned it until Char needed it, and then afterward it's never mentioned.

One would have thought they'd Gryps Axis. Or if that didn't work, like the first time in Zeta, that they'd send it into the sun where all dangerous things go that Earth could do without.

I just hope this isn't going to derail a hopeful Crossbone production... since it appears to have won the poll for a new UC project.

Hmm, maybe there is a good story here, though. Who knows? This could be the missing link we've been waiting for, right on the tail end of Axis Shock Newtype Powwa, that explains whether or not Newtypes are prevalent second century and why this is so.

Edit: and thanks for posting this up, Deacon! :)
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Deacon Blues

Amion wrote:I just hope this isn't going to derail a hopeful Crossbone production... since it appears to have won the poll for a new UC project.
I really wanna stop you here. That Twitter poll was no way official or indicative of Sunrise's future plans for Gundam. Crossbone is and will always be a bizarre pipe dream for a lot of fans.

As for this "incident" that happens at Axis, I wouldn't be surprised if it's where the Phenex ran off to hide... calling it now.
Amion

Yeah, I had a feeling about the Crossbone thing, but pipe dreams are obstinate.

That said, now I have lost hype, if the Phenex is all they've got to give us from this.
Deacon Blues

Here's a very brief overview of the chapter as I'm currently translating it:

Chapter.01 Afterglow of the Red Comet (1)

Civilians Arlette Almage and Danton Hyleg along with a Lieutenant JG Mehmet Merca are apart of "Mastema," a unit under the direct control of the Federation government. Having set out on an assault landing craft, they arrive at Axis in order to conduct an investigation.

Surveying near Axis' asteroid Moussa, they pass through residential areas and research facilities and arrive at their destination: the Maharaja Karn Honorary Labs, the place of the Flannigan Agency's demise.

Just then, Arlette and the others are attacked by an RGM-89 Jegan, a suit that was active during the Second Neo Zeon war. As the trio ran away without knowing what was going on, Mehmet triggers several explosives, destroying buildings and kicking up dust. As the Jegan disappears from their view, a different mobile suit suddenly appears before them.

A suit with a white body, twin eyes and a V-shaped antenna...

A Gundam.
Amion

Deacon Blues wrote:Here's a very brief overview of the chapter as I'm currently translating it:

Chapter.01 Afterglow of the Red Comet (1)

Civilians Arlette Almage and Danton Hyleg along with a Lieutenant JG Mehmet Merca are apart of "Mastema," a unit under the direct control of the Federation government. Having set out on an assault landing craft, they arrive at Axis in order to conduct an investigation.

Surveying near Axis' asteroid Moussa, they pass through residential areas and research facilities and arrive at their destination: the Maharaja Karn Honorary Labs, the place of the Flannigan Agency's demise.

Just then, Arlette and the others are attacked by an RGM-89 Jegan, a suit that was active during the Second Neo Zeon war. As the trio ran away without knowing what was going on, Mehmet triggers several explosives, destroying buildings and kicking up dust. As the Jegan disappears from their view, a different mobile suit suddenly appears before them.

A suit with a white body, twin eyes and a V-shaped antenna...

A Gundam.
Gasp, you don't say.
YokozunaBulldozer

The Gundam for this story looks like someone got bored with the NT-1 and added parts from Gundam MKII, Gundam GP01, and Nu Gundam.
But despite the kitbash-esque qualities, I like it.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER