Cucuruz Doan's Island: The Origin

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Dustman

Cucuruz Doan's Island: The Origin

Didn't see anything on this yet so I guess I'll be the one to break out a news topic.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... ay/.101477

We're getting an Origin spinoff about Cucuruz Doan. In manga format. Based on the anime. Which is an adaptation of a manga that is an adaptation of an anime.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Re: Cucuruz Doan's Island: The Origin

Doan? The guy from the episode Tomino hates so much he doesn't even want people outside of Japan to see it? That Doan?

Wow, they are getting desperate for manga materiel...
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
PowerdGNFlag

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:Doan? The guy from the episode Tomino hates so much he doesn't even want people outside of Japan to see it? That Doan?

Wow, they are getting desperate for manga materiel...
Yas and the rest of the staff may have a different opinion on that.
Well, I guess I'm a nobody...
AmuroNT1

I dunno if Tomino ever said he hated the Doan episode, just that he wanted it pulled due to a dispute between him and the director, one that he's not comfortable discussing publicly.

Besides, that certainly hasn't stopped Doan from popping up in video games. Heck, his Zaku is one of my favorite units in Extreme Vs. Nothing is more fun than beating a machine like the 00 Raiser with thrown rocks and Zaku Punches.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Dustman

It's worth noting that despite being rather infamous on either side of the Pacific, Doan's Island is still so well loved in Japan that BONES used it as the basis for Eureka's personal origin story!

However, I can also understand Tomino being dissatisfied with the episode if that were indeed the short version of his grievances. Not even counting the animation (and no, it was pretty bad even with the occasional drop in consistency - IMO the whole series looked great for its time prior to Yas being hospitalized) there were numerous curiosities with its script. Things such as...

1) What happened to that second Federation soldier who hadn't died yet?
2) Why is Amuro now inexplicably prejudiced against the Zeon and why is a boy genius like him so unperceptive that he suspects Doan of staging an elaborate ruse?
3) Does Zeon really have nothing better to do in disputed territory than devoting their manpower toward chasing a guy who deserted after being ordered to kill children?
4) With this as the explicitly stated reason for his pursuit, why did Amuro sink Doan's only means of self defense, as though the problem has suddenly become that he stole military equipment? How does any of this solve any problem at all?

Basically, it's a filler episode and its absence only strengthens the whole.

Considering the era, I think it may have been intended as a commentary on Vietnam. It's a good idea as far as wanting to explore the brutality of war but the plot holes and general lack of perspective with the rest of the series makes it stick out upon closer inspection. Despite Chris hating the previous episode in his summaries, I think "Time, Be Still" did a better job at humanizing the average Zeon soldier, doing so in a way that didn't make a lone individual like Doan look as though he were the exception.

That said, this is an interesting way to revisit the story. Doan's Island was omitted both from the movie trilogy and from The Origin. There's something very appropriate about giving him the "Origin" treatment now that the OVA (which this manga is apparently based on) has given them a chance to apply the manga's selling point to a TV-only scenario that has long been forgotten due to the movies having a higher priority. The real can of worms is if they end it with a retelling of the original episode and whether this is meant to be semi-official to the OVA.
Erisie

New information posted on The Origin's website: http://gundam-the-origin.net/doan/index.html
Deacon Blues

Not to be the bearer of bad news, but that splash page has been up for a month now.
Erisie

Deacon Blues wrote:Not to be the bearer of bad news, but that splash page has been up for a month now.
Oops, my bad, then.

Anyway, this confirms who's doing the manga: Junji Ohno, the same guy who did Missing Link.
J-Lead

Erisie wrote:Anyway, this confirms who's doing the manga: Junji Ohno, the same guy who did Missing Link.
Oh no, Missing Link was awful...
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."