New Gundam Ace manga: Crossbone Gundam Dust

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Cybaster

Re: New Gundam Ace manga: Crossbone Gundam Dust

Is it just me or does that design look quite IBO-inspired this time around? I would not put it past Hasegawa at this point to try to tie his UC continuity in to IBO somehow, either, given there was already precedent (sort of) tying Unicorn to G-Reco before.
Don't throw the baton, you jacka**!!!
balofo

The announcement was just a new MS design competition for Dust: http://i.imgur.com/299GUQR.jpg

Anyway, chapter 0 next month: http://i.imgur.com/YOCMSdL.jpg
balofo

Hero mothership design, uses a wheel from a Zanscare ship: http://www.studio-himitsukichi.com/blog ... 0529_2.jpg
Kuruni

...serious?

That thing is clearly a cousin to Malder snail zoid!
My girlfriend was a loli.
Deacon Blues

That's why it's called the cargo ship escargot lol
Cybaster

Looks like something from Freelancer that can't make up its mind between being a cargo ship or a fighter. =/
Don't throw the baton, you jacka**!!!
Amion

If both functions are possible for a spacecraft, why not be both?
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
balofo

1st pics of the MS and characters:

http://i.imgur.com/z2IkzOw.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/bEiyDo0.jpg

1)Anchor, protagonist MS piloted by Ashe King
2)Crane, based on the Bailarina frame. Piloted by Kaguya Shiratori
3)Wozmo? which is a new type export MS from Jupiter, piloted by Taganasu? Tayaka
Kuruni

...I have to made double check that the series' subtitle is Kidou Senshi, and not something like Yusha Kaizoku or something along that line.

The MS design are so 90-ish. Well, it isn't really a bad thing.
My girlfriend was a loli.
YokozunaBulldozer

Okay, first impressions:
- Ashe King reminds me of Getter Robo Go protagonist Ichimonji Go at first glance
- Anchor's design reminds me of crayfish and makes me want to eat some. Hasegawa must have had some crayfish or something and came up with the design. :mrgreen:
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
Deacon Blues

Okay, let's see how much I can bugger this crap up. The premise of Dust seems interesting, but I'm doubtful as to how well this will all play out. Anyways, here goes:

THE WORLD OF MOBILE SUIT CROSSBONE GUNDAM DUST

With the premiere of Episode 0, the regular serialization of the latest series of Crossbone Gundam begins in the next issue. The struggle of soldiers drawn on a stage of an as yet unseen era as the Universal Century faces its end. Many great heroes vie for supremacy in the Warring States period of Outer Space!

beginning of a NEW AGE

The invasion of Earth carried out by Side 2, the battle between the Zanscare Empire and the League Militaire. Behind the scenes, a battle between the Zanscare Empire's Vice Admiral Kizo and the reborn Crossbone Vanguard centering around the space microbe Angel Call. These conflicts which originated from the Jupiter Sphere, would expose the reality of a weakening Earth Federation. And now, the year is U.C. 0168, fifteen years since the end of the so-called Zanscare War. The space colonies, having been freed from the reigns of the Earth Federation government, establish an autonomous government. The times had plunged into a world of warring states producing conflicts large and small for fellow colonies...

U.C.0169 THE WARRING STATES PERIOD OF OUTER SPACE
ARE THEY HEROES WHO REIGN SUPREME IN THE TURBULENT TIMES?!

AN INDOMITABLE YOUNG MAN BURDENED WITH JUSTICE
"The Undying Ember"
  • ASH KING: Leader of the armed transport group known as "Invisible Transit." He is called "the undying ember" due to his unyielding spirit even in the face of crisis. A certain event in his youth spurs him to a just cause of helping the weak. His subordinates are fiercely loyal of their boss.

ANCHOR: Ash King's mobile suit. Cobbled together from a hodgepodge of different parts the remodeled unit is known as a "mixing build." It appears to have a Federation lineage as a base but remodel after remodel has left its original state a matter of speculation at best.

LEO: A boyish, spirited girl who accompanies Ash. What is she really after?
AN ELUSIVE, LONE WOLF FEMALE MERCENARY
"Moonlight Crane"
  • KAGUYA SHIRATORI: A lone MS pilot. Though her past is a mystery, her skill as a pilot is undeniable; her graceful and deft performance on the battlefield earned her the nickname, "The Dancing Swan."

CRANE: Kaguya's mobile suit. Wherever she obtained it is a mystery, but it uses the frame from the Bailarina, the MS that Kosha from Thoucus wielded. The entire outer frame was completely overhauled to offer extremely high performance.

SUBJUGATOR OF THE 7 COLONIES
"The Iron Peasant"
  • TAGANAS TAYAKA: In an era where colonies are gaining independence one after another, the "Agricultural King" claims command over seven of them. His goal is to raise food self-sufficiency rates for the colonies in favor of "rich country, strong army." He is called the "Iron Peasant" because he pilots a mobile suit and fights for himself.

WOZMO: Taganas's mobile suit. A new model that is rare in these times. A mobile suit which uses Jupiter's remaining mobile suit technology that is occasionally put up for sale. Only two or three are produced every year, but even suits of this rarity is available to the right buyer, and with the right amount of money. However, its performance is intentionally handicapped and it doesn't boast overwhelming strength despite being a new model.
I'll post the narrative from Episode 0 tomorrow. Easy to read without the pictures since it's just random scenes.

I still can't quite translate the nickname for the character though. Unless I'm missing something (it is late and my brain hurts), ash really doesn't do anything... hence why I had to go with "ember". I suppose "fire" could have worked, but everything is a miss for “燃え尽きぬ灰”. Suggestions welcomed.
Deacon Blues

Here's the prologue (minus the few speech bubbles):

I suspect the Universal Century may already be slowly but surely coming to an end. The only question is, where should I begin?

The year is Universal Century 0169.

The last great war, the Zanscare Founding War, came to a close sixteen years ago. However, the end had proved the ones in power were the resistance known as the League Militaire and the Earth Federation did not possess anywhere near the power or influence it once had. And with the power of restraint of the Federation no longer a mitigating element, movements for independence across the colonies gradually spiraled out of control...

Ultimately, without anyone knowing when or why it happened, what was once a collection of cries for independence, became a quagmire of minor powers scrambling for hegemony over one another and the colonies descended into chaos. The prolonged disturbances hindered the stability of peoples lives and led to decreased technological strength.

Before long, the colonies had all but lost both the ability to design and the strength to mass produce new model mobile suits. The deciding factor of power gradually shifted from difficult to maintain new models to the much easier older models.

In the ninety years since the One Year War, intermittent periods of turmoil repeatedly cropped up. Countless mobile suits were scattered throughout the Earth Sphere only to be collected, repaired and reassembled to be recirculated onto the battlefield.... like an army of the living dead.

Due to the decline in strength, cataclysmic wars like those of the past no longer occurred.

Nonetheless, these persistent "small conflicts" never seemed to end, splitting apart peoples worlds in small ways and reopening old wounds. I suspect the Universal Century will come to an end in a river of blood...

That's what all of us started to believe. Yes, it was the "at this rate" mentality...

However, there was a great amount of "dust" that began to stir...

Take for instance, the man known as Taganas Tayaka, the battling grain king called the "Iron Peasant". Or even the invincible dancer, the "Moonlight Crane" known as Kaguya Shiratori. And there is even the wandering "Ghost"...

Yet among them is but one more... the leader of the armed transport group "Invincible Transit"... The undying ember, Ash King.

Yes, let us begin the story from here.

A NEW CROSSBONE LEGEND NOW BEGINS!!
bilbros

Good job, as usual, Deacon!

But why, concerning Ash King's nickname you're saying
ash really doesn't do anything
As far as I can tell, the kanji 灰 means exactly "ash" (in the sense of fire remains), so in my humble iopinion "The Undying Ash" would work fine, also because this seems quite likely a pun/reference to his true name アッシュ...
Deacon Blues

Got my copy of Gundam Ace today so I thought I'd share the first installment with you all:

This is the story of dust. It is one with no beginning, nor an end. Just mere fragments swirling in midair.
CHAPTER.01 ASH AND LION

The story unfolds with a young girl backed into a corner holding a cat Haro. A rather menacing mobile suit is reaching out towards her. Background dialogue indicates that the mobile suit belongs to a group of bandoleros who infiltrated the colony. The young girl watches in horror as the mobile suit slowly reaches towards her. She keeps telling herself that she cannot look away, however absurd it may be, because there is no reason to as death is closing in. But, she doesn't want to show fear (despite crying). Just as the suit is about to grab her, another mobile suit comes out of the shadows. It punches the odd quad-eyes Marasai-type mobile suit in the head, sending the suit to the ground and the head bouncing away. The girls savior stands up, it's vents opening up to release steam. Just then, the cockpit opens up and the pilot calls out to the girl.

"You've got quite the eyes. Hop on, if you like."

The man says, extending his hand out to her. The girl is dumbfounded and asks who he is. He asks her what it matters and warns her that there's another one of the bandolero out there. The girl notices another mobile suit streaking across the sky so she scrambles up the suit and into the cockpit with the strange man. He hoists her up into his lap telling her she's a good girl.

The year is Universal Century 0169. The story unfolds on the 27th Banchi colony in Side 5 during the Warring States Period of Outer Space. The colony was dangerously on the verge of collapse. There was a giant gash in the side of the colony that was causing air to leak out into space; a product of the bandoleros infiltration into the colony. The decline in public order and longstanding scattering of mobile suits facilitated the rise of outlaws. Colonies did not have the strength to withstand the violence.

People are seen fleeing down the streets, grabbing what they could to escape the madness. As the young girl looks on from the cockpit, she begins to cry saying that her world is disappearing. The pilot asks her if she was born here but the girl says no, she moved here five years ago. But this colony, much like the one she was born on, was disappearing as well... together with her mom and dad. Here on this colony, she was finally able to make friends and stop having terrible nightmares, but it was all slipping away again right before her very eyes and she couldn't do anything. Her inability to do anything bothers her immensely.

During her sob story, the man locates one of the other "idiots" that infiltrated the colony. He tells her to hold on that things are going to get bumpy and that he's gonna smach the guy. He draws out a blade pistol and slashes the cockpit of the bandolero. As citizens flee beneath him, he tells the girl his name: Ash Gray. He asks what her is and she stammers out Leo Tail. Insert a joke about Leo the Lion here and you have him questioning her name. She isn't pleased and asks him if it's strange for a girl to be named Leo.

He continues to assail the mobile suit. The sleeve of his left arm pops up and turns into a spinning blade-like drill. He obliterates the enemy mobile suit with no problem. In the meantime, he starts helping some of the civilians who didn't get away in time (like lifting a car off of one who got stuck). Meanwhile, his comrades pop up on the scene. Ash is surprised to see them and asks where they're at. One of them chides him by calling him out for having ANOTHER girl in the mobile suit with him. They basically call him out as a pervert, saying that he's just after her boobs. At this point he explodes on them and yells at them to only talk about work.

His teammates tell him that there's a total of six mobile suits that infiltrated the colony. The bandolero belong to a group known as the "Black Fox". Ash asks if the mobile suits with cat-like eyes and V-shaped heads are here to which his team says they are no longer in their possession. Since Ash took out three of the mobile suits, his two teammates took out one and the guards took out another, that only leaves one more. But, there's more bad news. While repairs to the hole in the colony are being done, they're not being done well enough. That and the head of the colony fled the scene earlier. Just as Ash thinks that things couldn't get any worse, his team chimes in that there's a new job. Perking up, Ash is stoked for it! Unfortunately he finds out that it's to deal with the last remaining vandal who is standing in front of a school demanding ransom. Ash fights over what to do because no matter how small the job, he'll take it on.

Standing outside the school is an RX-160 Byarlant. The pilot is demanding a ransom, no funny business and that because his unit is a legendary "Gundam". Ash scopes out the scene from afar, his teammates chatting away that it's a Gundam and that things are looking bad. Ash brushes it off by saying the guy is an idiot just because he got his hands on a huge mobile suit (and that Gundams aren't that big of a deal anyways). He tells them to prioritze saving the citizens.

Here, Ash tells the "lion" to get off and hide somewhere. Leo thanks Ash for saving her and he just scoffs and says it was his job and that she has sharp eyes. Cue other jabbering about life or death situation, blah blah. He leaves Leo to fend for herself and confronts the Byarlant. The pilot says the brats are holed up in the gymnasium. He points out to Ash that he has a beam cannon and that he can turn him to cinder the minute he responds.

Ash calls him out and says there is no ransom money. The pilot is stunned. Ash tell him that there's no one left and to look around that the colony is collapsing. After further calling him an idiot and what not, the pilot realizes who he is. He's the bodyguard that protected 18 autonomous colonies of Side 5.

The two begin their standoff when all of a sudden Ash notices Leo crawling along behind some bushes. Leo is creeping along towards the gymnasium thinking to herself that she has to do something, she has to set the kids locked inside free. Ash is perplexed on what to do as the bandolero tells him to come at him. Just then, Leo makes her break towards the doors when the pilot of the Byarlant fires off his arm towards her. Ash makes a made dive towards her in his suit in an attempt to save her, but she gets pinned between the claws. Just as he goes to reach for her, the pilot jerks his arm back up into the air away from him. With his other arm he grabs onto Ash's face and slams his mobile suit into the ground.

The Byarlant pilot starts taunting Ash by saying he should cut off her head. Just one little snip is all that it would take. As Ash is getting taunted, rage slowly builds up inside of him. He has a terrible flashback to the past of being dragged in front of a guillotine. With this rage exploding out of him, his mobile suit starts emitting a blinding light and the V-fin type antenna begins spinning around, blowing off the claw of the Byarlant.

Ash starts screaming at the pilot that he dares to cut off the head of someone in front of him and starts to counterattack. Leo regains consciousness and notices that Ash is enraged, yet also crying... or so the mobile suit appears to be...

End of Chapter.01.

Notes about the Byarlant: The pilot has what appears to be Amuro's logo (somewhat upsidedown) on the right shoulder with "GUNDAM" etched beneath it. Pretty piss poor attempt at showcasing your mobile suit as a "Gundam" haha
AmuroNT1

Deacon Blues wrote:Notes about the Byarlant: The pilot has what appears to be Amuro's logo (somewhat upsidedown) on the right shoulder with "GUNDAM" etched beneath it. Pretty piss poor attempt at showcasing your mobile suit as a "Gundam" haha
That just reminds me of the first chapter of the original Crossbone, where there's a line of dialog that Tomino apparently specifically asked Hasegawa to include, wherein one of Tobia's friends dismissively remarks that "The media calls anything a Gundam as long as it's got two eyes and an antenna!"
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Amion

This actually sounds really cool. And it even bridges the gap between the slightly more realistic and classy designs of earlier UC with the zany Reguild stuff. MS are so numerous now, that what they appear like on the outside can be drastic and also act as a group symbol.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.