G-Reco Movie 1 confirmed for November

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Kuruni

Re: G-Reco Movie 1 confirmed for November

Dustman wrote:Not so much that, but to make the story easier to follow.

Reconguista is extremely unusual in how it was told. It is nothing but linear yet its characters are held at a distance. Each of them are uniquely human and their reactions are often appropriate to their surroundings but the story itself is not driven by an internal struggle and instead by action and adventure.
My impression is different, to me it look like what's going on in G-Reco is that it telling story with mostly character-focus POV (around Bellri and Megafauna as whole), but the overall plot itself move on its own pace regardless of them. That's why we, the audiences, miss so many important moment. The best example is episode 17, one about soil cleaning, which we miss how it happen because Bellri sleep through it.

It feel like an experiment, and I won't say it's success or even good. In fact, it's trainwreck in term of storytelling. But I still feel that Tomino tried something there, even if it doesn't work well.
My girlfriend was a loli.
balofo

I wonder what will get the cut: entire arcs, factions, battles, characters, etc
BrentD15

balofo wrote:I wonder what will get the cut: entire arcs, factions, battles, characters, etc
Probably minor stuff.
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
Dustman

Kuruni wrote:My impression is different, to me it look like what's going on in G-Reco is that it telling story with mostly character-focus POV (around Bellri and Megafauna as whole), but the overall plot itself move on its own pace regardless of them. That's why we, the audiences, miss so many important moment. The best example is episode 17, one about soil cleaning, which we miss how it happen because Bellri sleep through it.
I don't believe this to be the case. You're describing third person narrative which is absolutely correct. However, you are also attributing it to a subjective viewpoint which would mean that we are made to understand the context of the story by how characters interact with the setting. This is an inaccurate description of G-Reco because Tomino specializes in objective narration.

Because this has become an unusual form of storytelling in visual entertainment, I should probably explain what I mean by this. In practice, an objective third person narrative is the presentation of a story without commentary. The point of view does not belong to a character who interacts with the setting but is an outsider's perspective. In other words, it is YOUR perspective. Subjectivity is vicariously experiencing a story through an avatar while objectivity is the development of an understanding through an unfolding pattern of events. This being the case, important moments are not missing because a character wasn't there for it but because we, the audience, have not observed or identified the relevant passage information.

This is actually the key to understanding Tomino's writing style. I might end up explaining this in greater detail some other time. Needless to say, I don't consider Tomino to be a bad storyteller nor do I think that G-Reco is a trainwreck. For what he lacks in technical skill, he makes up for with intuition and creativity. Although, understanding his insights are another matter...
Last edited by Dustman on Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zeonista

Quiddity wrote:Part of me is excited for it if only because it is a chance to do G-Reco in better fashion and make some improvements upon a show that was beautiful to look at but had major flaws with pacing, characters and exposition.

Yet part of me thinks the compressed nature of it will make it all the more confusing. If the TV show doesn't have enough room to fit the show's over-convoluted plot and absurd amount of characters and factions, how could a movie trilogy hope to do so?
That is pretty much how I feel, too.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Kuruni

Dustman wrote:I don't believe this to be the case. You're describing third person narrative which is absolutely correct. However, you are also attributing it to a subjective viewpoint which would mean that we are made to understand the context of the story by how characters interact with the setting. This is an inaccurate description of G-Reco because Tomino specializes in objective narration.
I said "focus", not narration. But otherwise your explanation hit the nail on its head :D . Although I still consider the result to be bad at storytelling (and hopefully the movie will fix it to a degree).
My girlfriend was a loli.
Dustman

Kuruni wrote:I said "focus", not narration. But otherwise your explanation hit the nail on its head :D . Although I still consider the result to be bad at storytelling (and hopefully the movie will fix it to a degree).
Well, I can't really add much else to that without initiating an in depth discussion but there's reasons why that isn't true. Tomino's editing is very angular and disorienting (this is why I call him intuitive rather than having any kind of refined skills) but the story itself is richly textured. Like I said though, the struggle that we're going to have to overcome before this show can thrive is identifying his message. I'm not going to be ready to talk about this until I've done the proper research but I promise that there's more to this show than colorful animation and chaotic editing.
latenlazy

Dustman wrote:Not so much that, but to make the story easier to follow.

Reconguista is extremely unusual in how it was told. It is nothing but linear yet its characters are held at a distance. Each of them are uniquely human and their reactions are often appropriate to their surroundings but the story itself is not driven by an internal struggle and instead by action and adventure.

However, with the themes of the series being as esoteric as they are and with the presentation as being so broad, the fact that there wasn't that much focus on human drama becomes alienating. Case in point, any other series would have been hyper focused on the resulting guilt of Bellri's actions in Episode 6. But though there are subtle developments in his personality which follow, it would appear as though it didn't actually matter because it doesn't overtly relate to any kind of character arc.

I once saw somebody describe Reconguista as "pre-Freudian" and that profound events are portrayed without commentary. There is no emotional guidance to the story, no greater attempt to relate subjective psychology to the diegesis of its teleplay. This is an accurate assessment of the series and I think that while the end result was far from being as out of control as it would appear, it is with an increased focus on continual human relations that the story would become easier to navigate. And for many, even if the structure were to be intellectually confusing, they could at least leave with a sense of emotional accomplishment.
Yes, exactly this! It's not just pre-Freudian, but pre-Jungian. Tomino has always been unique in that he doesn't involve the embedded psycho-analytical approaches that have taken over most contemporary storytelling, but in G-Reco he dials up the impenetrability created from discarding that narrative frame even more than usual. I've always thought Tomino may have an internal persuasion that psycho-analysis in stories have hindered rather than enhanced the ability for people to understand each other. It's a theme which he has not only visited over and over, but which has in fact defined the body of his work (misunderstandings between people, newtypes, etc.).

One aspect of storytelling Tomino has resisted time and again is escapism, and G-Reco is a greater bulwark on this front than his other works (though I recall that for G-Reco some of this was unintentional). Rather than give the audience a window into what's going on in a situation or between characters, he'd rather make them figure it out on their own. I think what turns off most people about G-Reco is that it forces them to confront the frustration of trying to know others and understand what's happening as an outsider, much as one often has to in real life. That said, I don't think the average audience draws this parallel very often. If we're being blunt, and I'm making a deductive speculation here, I'd say he thinks psycho-analytical and relationally focused approaches have cheapened narratives and has made audiences lazy, and he's defiantly challenging his audiences to do better.

This style is a delight for people who are active observers of their own surroundings, those who are familiar with being outsiders in their every day life, and other story tellers who live and breathe the exploration of narrative as expression. In that sense I think of Tomino as an innovative storyteller's storyteller, but who's so deep into the critical questions and concepts of this expressive form that what he does can be virtually inaccessible to regular laymen. It's a form of snobbery, but one which has some interesting intentions and meta-thematic arguments. If good storytelling is about showing and not telling, Tomino is a rebel artist in pursuit of purer incarnations of that purpose.
Dustman

latenlazy wrote:I think what turns off most people about G-Reco is that it forces them to confront the frustration of trying to know others and understand what's happening as an outsider, much as one often has to in real life. [...] This style is a delight for people who are active observers of their own surroundings, those who are familiar with being outsiders in their every day life...
Everything you've said is wonderful and I can not agree with it more. But it's these parts that resonate with me. I'm a little worried about sharing too much about myself, but ever since I was a child, I've always felt as though I were an alien. I've always been an outsider and have found it difficult to understand or communicate with other people. Because of this, I think that I understand Tomino's storytelling in a way that just isn't natural to the average person.

I know what people mean when they say that G-Reco makes them angry. That feeling of being stripped of context, that sense of isolation from human intimacy, the resentment of being left on your own and being unable to keep up with conversations and the sheer volume of information that you're being bludgeoned with, or the frustration of having every physical and intellectual receptor being overloaded and that voice telling you to run away and to just not engage with it ever again. What seems to be nothing more than a loud, disorienting and impenetrable experience in relating to a setting and its characters is my most recent visit to the supermarket.

Reconguista is my everyday life. Tomino's ability to capture that sensation is uncanny. It's so intuitive, so free from the constraints of the fourth wall that I would get lost in the experience and almost come to feel as though I was gazing into a parallel world. And though the presentation lacked eloquence, all I'd have to do is approach every episode the way I organize and deal with the cacophony of human existence. I'd watch and observe, I'd take note of things I didn't immediately understand and compartmentalize them so that I could keep up with its pacing. When an episode ended, I would sit and think about it over the coming week, unable to predict forward trajectory but enjoying the small details woven into the visuals and learning more about previous episodes in the presence of new information.

I've never experienced anything like that before, where a story could be so inscrutable and so unconcerned with impressing an audience through calculated story beats or polish. Rather than being entertainment, rather than the story being ego-driven and held at the mercy of a creator, I could feel as though there were a genuine feeling of discovery. It was a great experience and the series will probably grow even more for me each time I rewatch it.
HEDGESMFG
Location: Somewhere, out there, beneath the pale moonlight...

Here's my thing...

None of what's being described above is new for Tomino. Turn-A was effectively the pinnacle of this style; there is no narrator. No guiding voice. We the audience are simply thrown into this world to experience events as they play out. Conversations happen much more quickly than the typical constructed narratives you'll see in other shows, they each give us bits and pieces of relevant info about the setting, but are more loosely connected. I find this approach to be, in a sense, more realistic and more akin to what one sees in live action than other anime works (even though many films still follow a well structured formula). Tomino's cinematography remains his greatest strength in this regard as well... he pushes his animation team to inject motion into everything, bucking the trend for stylistic still shots and limited motion like what is seen in most other anime. He still utilizes money saving animation techniques, but he's more effective at covering them up than just about any other TV director out there. In that sense, he remains quite the genuis and G-Reco still excels at this.

Tomino is trying to be a live action film director in an anime studio.

But here is where we have the problem...

Tomino's works which tend to be less than 40+ episodes are much, much weaker from a storytelling perspective. His style works perfectly in 50 episode shows because there is enough time for enough important bits and pieces of information to be dumped in with the rest of the less important conversational bits. Again, Turn-A works brilliantly because of this... by the time we reach episode 50, we've learned a ton about the settings, and about every cast member. And again, it really is no different in its storytelling approach than G-Reco was.

But with less screen time, this approach fails because he cannot seem to make up his mind on which information is vital for the viewer and what is not. We don't even know when G-Reco is even set in the timeline anymore! Original settings material hinted at Pre-Turn A, and yet he himself (and other bits) hint at Post Turn A!? Which one is it!? The many factions and characters are given screen time, yet there remains the potential for us to learn so much more about them... and their individual changes in motive happen so fast that the viewer doesn't learn as much about it all as we potentially could should his above style of storytelling have been given more time to play out. Show, don't tell is perfectly fine and can even work brilliantly... but when you don't have enough screen time to show everything that one should see, I think it weakens the overall work.

If G-Reco had 13 more episodes, even with the same plot from start to end and no changes in its style of writing/character development/dialogue, I can guarantee you the work would have been both better received and much stronger as a whole. The ideas were interesting, the cast was interesting, the mecha were amazing, the animation was top notch... and the settings seem interesting if fleshed out a bit further, but none of that was to happen. I'm not asking for every question to be answered, I'm simply asking for the same pacing which Turn-A gave us... the chance to let this style of storytelling go on longer so as to build up the world that much further. Really, each of his shows use this to an extent, though Victory, Zeta, and 0079 do loosely have a narrator to help set up some details for the viewer.
HEDGESMFG
Location: Somewhere, out there, beneath the pale moonlight...

Also, to make it clear, look at his other shorter works like King Gainer, Brain Powerd and Ring of Gundam. You will find the exact same issues in them... lots of ideas, a unique and fleshed out world that we are only partially exposed to, without enough time being given for the viewer to learn as much about it as they should be.

Ring of Gundam has an entire document about its settings and history that are barely touched at all in the short film, leaving the viewer with almost no context about the world that led into it. This is mostly a problem partially because that context actually exists in a lot of detail, the story just isn't given any time to tell it.

Here's another example - Fonse Kagatie in Victory. In a few lines of dialogue in Victory we get the whopping huge revelation that he's actually part of the Jupiter Sphere and developed the Angel Halo weapon in conjunction with the members there. That's an entirely unique story in and of itself that is never further elaborated upon for more than a few lines - In truth because it really didn't need to be, they gave us just enough context to understand that Kagatie was a bastard with his own hidden agenda from Jupiter who sought to do great harm to earth and took advantage of Maria's power as a result. Did I want to know more? Yes, that's why I enjoyed late UC side material that fleshed out Jupiter further like Crossbone. Did I need to know more for Victory to work? No. Not at that time. That's an example of a small tidbit of info leading into a much larger world without detracting from the main story. My argument is that G-Reco tried to give us as much of this kind of subtle hidden info dumping as possible, but still needed more screen time to truly do the setting justice.
Dustman

If you could give me perhaps till the end of the week, I'll try and craft out my rebuttal. There's much about Tomino's post-Victory and 21st century storytelling that is overlooked or dismissed and I'd like to address them in roper detail. There's a lot of ground to cover so I'll need to make time for it. I might post it as a separate topic if I can work myself up enough for that.
BrentD15

HEDGESMFG wrote:If G-Reco had 13 more episodes, even with the same plot from start to end and no changes in its style of writing/character development/dialogue, I can guarantee you the work would have been both better received and much stronger as a whole. The ideas were interesting, the cast was interesting, the mecha were amazing, the animation was top notch... and the settings seem interesting if fleshed out a bit further, but none of that was to happen. I'm not asking for every question to be answered, I'm simply asking for the same pacing which Turn-A gave us... the chance to let this style of storytelling go on longer so as to build up the world that much further. Really, each of his shows use this to an extent, though Victory, Zeta, and 0079 do loosely have a narrator to help set up some details for the viewer.
I guess that depends on how much you can get out of those 13 additional episodes before the story starts dragging.
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
balofo

If G-Reco had 13 more episodes...
The pacing would still suck and we would more garbage Caribbean and Towasanga episodes. Tomino is always like this...

Better pray for new battle scenes and MS designs, since he will cut lots of plot stuff to fit a movie.
Dustman

Ehhh... I wanted some time before wording out an argument because I've been kind of depressed and unmotivated but whatever, I'll try my hand at an immediate statement. The length of the series appears to be the main issue being raised so I'll quickly get down some thoughts about that.

I also don't think Reconguista would be any stronger with a surplus of episodes.

Turn A Gundam could be as long as it was in part because it was supported by Hiroyuki Hoshiyama, the head writer of both Dougram and the original Gundam (in the sense that he wrote the first and final episodes as well as many in between). Tomino composed all the scripts himself this time and at some point he was going to burn out with that approach, more due to his age than anything else. Because of how many years of planning this series had, I think that this is the first time Tomino accounted for that short time frame and despite how slipshod and chaotic the editing looks, this is why I've argued that there is a linearity underneath that represents a proper story without putting an impregnable theme and message first to compensate, unlike Wings of Rean. Big ideas certainly exist as well and is what makes G-Reco come alive as a beast of ambition, but I have to talk about its relationship to Turn A before we can identify that.
Dustman

Last month was kind of horrible. No more screwing around, I guess. I'll just spit out the ever so elusive subtext to this show that I keep hinting at. Not gonna be thorough.

First of all, it's not fair to compare G-Reco to Turn A Gundam because most of Tomino's recent work has been an expansion on that very show's themes. Turn A is not primarily a meta-commentary on the Gundam franchise, though it may seem to be at first. That text is secondary, an allegory with which to further another point. Turn A is really about post-war Japan, historical revisionism, industry, military expansion and how they will culminate in the recurrence of a tragedy that has been buried and forgotten so that the public would never have to know about it. To writ, the Moonlight Butterfly and its destruction is Tomino raising the specter of the atomic bomb.

G-Reco follows the lead of Wings of Rean, where Tomino told the story of an Imperial soldier who fell into Byston Well and returns to modern Japan, bringing with him the destructive power of Aura Battlers after recruiting young anti-American Japanese terrorists to pilot them. To make Tomino's intent absolutely clear, he chooses an American-Japanese protagonist to symbolize unity. At the end, the antagonist reconciles his resentments long enough to sacrifice himself by shielding Japan from a third nuclear strike.

In Reconguista itself, Turn A's subtexts are made overt. Our setting is an Earth that was ravaged by the Universal Century and has since begun a miraculous economic recovery. To subvert stagnation, Cumpa desires to break the Taboo and expand the military from the Capital Guard to the Capital Army. This is a pointed criticism of Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, whose administration has driven controversial economic plans and has fought tirelessly to alter Article 9 of the Japanese constitution to redefine Japan's military. Eventually, Aida chooses to uphold the status quo as a means to steer progress responsibly, inheriting the will of a skinny old bald man who can't do anything more to help. (Hmmm...)

I understand what Tomino means when he says that it is his preference that Reconguista comes after Turn A. This is not a literal statement about fictional chronology, it is him saying that Turn A was made at one moment in time and G-Reco was made for this moment in history. That is also why he says that it is for children as the message is pertinent to their futures. At its core then, G-Reco is a series about the young rejecting nationalism and claiming the vast world before them. (Are we seeing the point now to the final visual of Bellri descending from Mt. Fuji to explore an utterly peaceful and serene Japan?)

There are many, many other things I could talk about but I'm very tired from recent weeks and this was the most important point for me to express. That is the relationship between Turn A Gundam and Reconguista in G. The latter is not intended to outdo the other, it is meant to further its themes and should be considered as such. I truly sympathize with Tomino. It must be ceaselessly frustrating to be asked time and again about the Dark History when he has more important things on his mind. It makes all the sense in the world that he said the things that he did, to redirect people's attention from a superfluous allegory.

Anyway, sorry for touching on politics even to that extent. It's pretty deeply tied into the show's messaging so it couldn't be avoided. As the show is about Japanese society, it's hard to really gleam a proper context with which to view the series. (Granted, this is true even for Japanese viewers but then since we're foreigners...) I just hope that even this will give us a first step toward opening a larger dialogue.
BrentD15

Dustman wrote:Last month was kind of horrible. No more screwing around, I guess. I'll just spit out the ever so elusive subtext to this show that I keep hinting at. Not gonna be thorough.

First of all, it's not fair to compare G-Reco to Turn A Gundam because most of Tomino's recent work has been an expansion on that very show's themes. Turn A is not primarily a meta-commentary on the Gundam franchise, though it may seem to be at first. That text is secondary, an allegory with which to further another point. Turn A is really about post-war Japan, historical revisionism, industry, military expansion and how they will culminate in the recurrence of a tragedy that has been buried and forgotten so that the public would never have to know about it. To writ, the Moonlight Butterfly and its destruction is Tomino raising the specter of the atomic bomb.

G-Reco follows the lead of Wings of Rean, where Tomino told the story of an Imperial soldier who fell into Byston Well and returns to modern Japan, bringing with him the destructive power of Aura Battlers after recruiting young anti-American Japanese terrorists to pilot them. To make Tomino's intent absolutely clear, he chooses an American-Japanese protagonist to symbolize unity. At the end, the antagonist reconciles his resentments long enough to sacrifice himself by shielding Japan from a third nuclear strike.

In Reconguista itself, Turn A's subtexts are made overt. Our setting is an Earth that was ravaged by the Universal Century and has since begun a miraculous economic recovery. To subvert stagnation, Cumpa desires to break the Taboo and expand the military from the Capital Guard to the Capital Army. This is a pointed criticism of Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, whose administration has driven controversial economic plans and has fought tirelessly to alter Article 9 of the Japanese constitution to redefine Japan's military. Eventually, Aida chooses to uphold the status quo as a means to steer progress responsibly, inheriting the will of a skinny old bald man who can't do anything more to help. (Hmmm...)

I understand what Tomino means when he says that it is his preference that Reconguista comes after Turn A. This is not a literal statement about fictional chronology, it is him saying that Turn A was made at one moment in time and G-Reco was made for this moment in history. That is also why he says that it is for children as the message is pertinent to their futures. At its core then, G-Reco is a series about the young rejecting nationalism and claiming the vast world before them. (Are we seeing the point now to the final visual of Bellri descending from Mt. Fuji to explore an utterly peaceful and serene Japan?)

There are many, many other things I could talk about but I'm very tired from recent weeks and this was the most important point for me to express. That is the relationship between Turn A Gundam and Reconguista in G. The latter is not intended to outdo the other, it is meant to further its themes and should be considered as such. I truly sympathize with Tomino. It must be ceaselessly frustrating to be asked time and again about the Dark History when he has more important things on his mind. It makes all the sense in the world that he said the things that he did, to redirect people's attention from a superfluous allegory.

Anyway, sorry for touching on politics even to that extent. It's pretty deeply tied into the show's messaging so it couldn't be avoided. As the show is about Japanese society, it's hard to really gleam a proper context with which to view the series. (Granted, this is true even for Japanese viewers but then since we're foreigners...) I just hope that even this will give us a first step toward opening a larger dialogue.
That's actually pretty thoughtful. :)
Dustman

There are some things I'd like to add while they're on my mind.

To start with, none of this means that I'm calling G-Reco inherently superior or equivalent to Turn A Gundam. It is my opinion that Turn A is Tomino's greatest and final masterpiece. That show had so many incredible contributors and its composition was both elegant and accomplished in its ability to provide both an engaging narrative and effectively double-layered messaging.

I think what feels disappointing about 21st century Tomino is that he no longer has an interest in crafting a powerhouse like Ideon or Zeta. Although it's partly due to his stamina and having limited scheduling for stories of similar depth, I think he has also deliberately changed his approach to use light action and entertainment as a vehicle to deliver a message, preventing his ego from getting the best of him like it infamously did for Victory. Essentially, the Tomino who created Dunbine was at the time more interested in pummeling his themes through intense drama while the Tomino who created Wings of Rean instead wants to craft spectacle with a message that could be self-nurtured.

His recent work, while not as satisfying on a surface level, feels to me like a cycle. It's all going forward from Turn A Gundam, which was a reflection on the 20th century and the culmination of his experience as a creator. His original stories are now all about the 21st century and his expectations for the future, whether it be a simple message about the dangers of escapism and encouraging young people to go on an Exodus to find their promised land, or cautionary tales about regressive elements that wish to compromise the fragile peace that Japan uniquely enjoys.

One of the things that makes G-Reco special and part of what left me satisfied is how Tomino has synthesized those things. He has at last found a middle ground between King Gainer's coming of age adventurism and the real world applicability of Wings of Rean while also feeling like a proper follow up to Turn A Gundam (despite only being a sequel in spirit). This is why I've said that it comes alive as a work of ambition and deserves so much more thought and analysis. It's maybe even more outside brand expectations and is less singular than Turn A was but I think it's one of the most deceptively faceted entries of the last 15 years.
latenlazy

Dustman wrote:Last month was kind of horrible. No more screwing around, I guess. I'll just spit out the ever so elusive subtext to this show that I keep hinting at. Not gonna be thorough.

Bingo! In fact, a lot of the old guard in the Japanese anime industry (the oldies who hate how commercialized it's become) have been lacing their stories with commentary on contemporary politics and society. For quite a few animes to miss this angle is to miss half the point!
minase

hmm.... a movie

thats great, now i can pickup where i left @ eps 5