The Official Gundam Unicorn Re: 0096 Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.

Moderators: ShadowCell, EZero8, Destiny_Gundam, Kenji

Henyo
Mysterious Masked Dude
Posts: 518
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:24 am
Location: Hidden Tramo Village

Re: Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn Re: 0096

Post by Henyo » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:59 am

zetatype wrote:
YokozunaBulldozer wrote:I was expecting this to succeed IBO's time slot on MBS every Sunday afternoon~evening but apparently it will air at 7 in the morning on a Sunday on TV Asahi just before the current Super Sentai Show Zyuohger. A bit odd considering that slot is mostly for children-oriented anime.
That's because Unicorn Re: 0096 is most likely a "last minute" effort to fill in that time slot. The show that previouly held that time slot was a Sunrise show called "Brave Beats" and it was suppose to last until the Fall season. However, the show got cancelled. Either Sunrise is contractually obligated to fill the time slot or they really want to hold onto the timeslot.

That being said I wonder how much Sunrise expects to get out of the audience that usually watches that time slot.

that explains Brave Beats' unusual Episode count.(22 Episodes.) at the very least though it had a solid closure. i liked the show.

as for Re:Unicorn, we also have to consider the quality of the new footage we'll be getting. will it be able to hold a candle to the OVAs? if not then we'd be getting a TV version of the Zeta Compilation Movies.
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!

User avatar
LightningCount
HiMAT Spammer
Posts: 912
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:02 pm

Re: Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn Re: 0096

Post by LightningCount » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:09 pm

Crunchyroll will stream Re:0096! http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... me/.100459

I'm actually interested to see how this series plays as a TV series with new scenes. Though, it puts me in an awkward spot, since I never did get around to Unicorn 6 and 7.

EDIT: It looks like Daisuki might even run Re:0096 ENGLISH DUBBED, if the trailer is any indication... http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... se/.100463
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
Recommended Mecha Reading: http://bit.ly/1LCQERQ

User avatar
zetatype
Pilot's Doomed Girlfriend
Posts: 355
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:24 pm
Location: Buffalo, NY

Re: Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn Re: 0096

Post by zetatype » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:00 pm

LightningCount wrote: EDIT: It looks like Daisuki might even run Re:0096 ENGLISH DUBBED, if the trailer is any indication... http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... se/.100463
Makes sense, otherwise why even bother posting an ENG dub trailer. Hopefully, Sunrise won't have trouble tracking down the original ENG VAs, if we get new scenes.

Deus257
Lackey GM Pilot
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:36 pm

Re: Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn Re: 0096

Post by Deus257 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:45 am

zetatype wrote: Makes sense, otherwise why even bother posting an ENG dub trailer. Hopefully, Sunrise won't have trouble tracking down the original ENG VAs, if we get new scenes.
God I hope there's an English dub, declining eyesight means subs are out of the question for me, fingers crossed.

User avatar
Wellman
Newtype Emo Guy
Posts: 317
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn Re: 0096

Post by Wellman » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:55 pm

Really wasn't planning on watching it at all since I own the DVDs... but if it is being streamed on Crunchy roll, I will likely eventually give it a shot just to see how they break down the episodes and hopefully maybe improve that ending.

Blazer-X
AEUG Slapping Boy
Posts: 141
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 9:51 pm

Re: Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn Re: 0096

Post by Blazer-X » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:39 pm

New footage confirmed part of OP. Please, Bandai, have the decency to give us a proper FA Unicorn vs Neo Zeong fight!

User avatar
zetatype
Pilot's Doomed Girlfriend
Posts: 355
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:24 pm
Location: Buffalo, NY

Re: Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn Re: 0096

Post by zetatype » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:45 pm

So...we gonna make this the new "official" Unicorn thread?

Anyway, first episode is up on both Crunchyroll and Daisuk and the release schedule is every Saturday at 3:30 PST. Both have the Sub and Dub.

Impressions
SpoilerShow
So not too surprisingly, the first episode is pretty much the first 20 minutes of the first OVA episode.

The only difference is that the episode starts out with Cardia vist saying goodbye to Banagher and the Unicorn preparing to launch before cutting to the OP. BGMs are still all where they were in the OVA except they cut out the one during Cardia's goodbye. The episode ends with Audrey saying she has come to stop a war and Banagher offering his help.
As for the OP and ED.

Again, not too surprisingly, most of the OP is still images and reused animation with (i think) 4 clips of new animation. It first half is ok and while its mostly still images it fits the current tempo. The problem is tht once the tempo picks up we get 15 secs of rerused animation that is sped up and some of it looks weird as a result. Luckily, the rest of the OP uses new animation and works pretty well. Overall, the song itself is excellent, but the OP left a bit to be desired.

Personally, I enjoyed the ED much more. While there is barely any new animation, the editing is superb and perfectly matches the song. The still images look beautiful and the reused scenes are spliced together and put through a filter. It gives the ED a unique feel despite being almost entirely recycled material.

However, there are two small things I want to comment on. The ED pretty much shows the ending of the Torrington fight which gives me the impression Sunrise won't alter the first half of the Earth arc :(

The other thing is that during the ED we see two hands grasping at each other, and at first I though it was taken from the scene where Banagher rescues Mineva, but it's not from there. New animation?

EDIT: Given the amount of spoilers in both the OP and ED, as well as the first few minutes of the episode, I get the impression this is aimed at people who have already seen the OVAs.
Last edited by zetatype on Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blazer-X
AEUG Slapping Boy
Posts: 141
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 9:51 pm

Re: Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn Re: 0096

Post by Blazer-X » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:21 am

zetatype wrote:Given the amount of spoilers in both the OP and ED, as well as the first few minutes of the episode, I get the impression this is aimed at people who have already seen the OVAs.
I'm going to chalk the OP and ED to be more lazy editing than "intending for second time viewers." As for the first few minutes of the episode, I'm a little conflicted. On the one hand, it is going out of chronology. On the other hand, it does make a better "first few minutes" to actually SHOW the main Gundam of the show when we already know the first 20 minutes of the OVA is all set-up with a few minutes of Kshatriya battle-porn.

User avatar
zetatype
Pilot's Doomed Girlfriend
Posts: 355
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:24 pm
Location: Buffalo, NY

Re: Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn Re: 0096

Post by zetatype » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:36 am

Blazer-X wrote:
zetatype wrote:Given the amount of spoilers in both the OP and ED, as well as the first few minutes of the episode, I get the impression this is aimed at people who have already seen the OVAs.
I'm going to chalk the OP and ED to be more lazy editing than "intending for second time viewers."
With the reused scenes maybe, but the part with the two unicorns and the Neo Zeong is completely new, so that's a weird form of laziness.

User avatar
RyuseiDateSRX
Lackey GM Pilot
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 11:31 am
Location: London

Re: Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn Re: 0096

Post by RyuseiDateSRX » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:48 am

zetatype wrote:So...we gonna make this the new "official" Unicorn thread?

Anyway, first episode is up on both Crunchyroll and Daisuk and the release schedule is every Saturday at 3:30 PST. Both have the Sub and Dub.

Impressions
SpoilerShow
So not too surprisingly, the first episode is pretty much the first 20 minutes of the first OVA episode.

The only difference is that the episode starts out with Cardia vist saying goodbye to Banagher and the Unicorn preparing to launch before cutting to the OP. BGMs are still all where they were in the OVA except they cut out the one during Cardia's goodbye. The episode ends with Audrey saying she has come to stop a war and Banagher offering his help.
As for the OP and ED.

Again, not too surprisingly, most of the OP is still images and reused animation with (i think) 4 clips of new animation. It first half is pretty good and while its mostly still images it fits the current tempo. The problem is tht once the tempo picks up we get 15 secs of rerused animation that is sped up and some of it looks weird as a result. Luckily, the rest of the OP uses new animation and works pretty well. Overall, the song itself is excellent, but the OP left a bit to be desired.

Personally, I enjoyed the ED much more. While there is barely any new animation, the editing is superb and perfectly matches the song. The still images look beautiful and the reused scenes are spliced together and put through a filter. It gives the ED a unique feel despite being almost entirely recycled material.

However, there are two small things I want to comment on. The ED pretty much shows the ending of the Torrington fight which gives me the impression Sunrise won't alter the first half of the Earth arc :(

The other thing is that during the ED we see two hands grasping at each other, and at first I though it was taken from the scene where Banagher rescues Mineva, but it's not from there. New animation?

EDIT: Given the amount of spoilers in both the OP and ED, as well as the first few minutes of the episode, I get the impression this is aimed at people who have already seen the OVAs.
About the new scenes in the opening, aside from the Full Armor Unicorn and Banshee Norn VS Neo Zeong, I like the new scene with Sinanju wielding his beam sword axe thing in the lance mode. I don't think it ever did that in the OVA, and maybe anywhere else. The lance mode is new to me. I wonder if it's actually brand new or has been known about in other material and gunpla.

User avatar
zetatype
Pilot's Doomed Girlfriend
Posts: 355
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:24 pm
Location: Buffalo, NY

Re: Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn Re: 0096

Post by zetatype » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:23 am

RyuseiDateSRX wrote: About the new scenes in the opening, aside from the Full Armor Unicorn and Banshee Norn VS Neo Zeong, I like the new scene with Sinanju wielding his beam sword axe thing in the lance mode. I don't think it ever did that in the OVA, and maybe anywhere else. The lance mode is new to me. I wonder if it's actually brand new or has been known about in other material and gunpla.
While It didn't appear in the OVA, the double beam saber was part of the MG kit so its not entirely new.

http://www.hlj.com/product/ban981597/Gun

User avatar
RyuseiDateSRX
Lackey GM Pilot
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 11:31 am
Location: London

Re: Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn Re: 0096

Post by RyuseiDateSRX » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:50 am

zetatype wrote:
RyuseiDateSRX wrote: About the new scenes in the opening, aside from the Full Armor Unicorn and Banshee Norn VS Neo Zeong, I like the new scene with Sinanju wielding his beam sword axe thing in the lance mode. I don't think it ever did that in the OVA, and maybe anywhere else. The lance mode is new to me. I wonder if it's actually brand new or has been known about in other material and gunpla.
While It didn't appear in the OVA, the double beam saber was part of the MG kit so its not entirely new.

http://www.hlj.com/product/ban981597/Gun
Ah thanks. Pretty cool to see it in the anime. And for all we know, it's actually a new scene for Unicorn VS Sinanju later on, but like with the reused OVA scenes in the opening, it's used in the opening and isn't exclusive to it. Same might go for the new Full Armor Unicorn and Banshee Norn VS Neo Zeong CG scenes.

User avatar
Gelgoog Jager
Retconned MSV Ace
Posts: 1655
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:09 pm

Re: The Official Gundam Unicorn Re: 0096 Anime Thread Mk I

Post by Gelgoog Jager » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:31 pm

I wonder if we will see more Sleeves MS using beam gatling guns: the ones usually shown used by the RX-0 actually belong to the Sleeves, primarily meant to be used by the Kshatriya, but also usable by other MS such as the Geara Zulu (Gilboa's unit for example). The MG kit of the beam gatling gun can even be equipped on the MG Sinanju's shield in the same fashion as the Unicorn's, instead of its beam axe/swords.

I found it quite ironic that a Neo Zeon weapon ended up being such an emblematic weapon of the RX-0, yet scarcely used by the faction that developed it.

On a related note, the AMX-011G from AOZ Reboot uses the same type of gatling gun used by Quess' Jagd Doga, so I guess that beam gatling guns have over time become a more common type of weapon than what originally was thought.

Anyway, I'm mainly hoping two things: that most battles won't be as ridiculously one-sided as in the OVAs, and more cameos. For instance, I'm hoping to see more Zeon MS and ships at Palau.

User avatar
Compass
Okawara x Katoki Love Child
Posts: 1054
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:29 pm

Re: The Official Gundam Unicorn Re: 0096 Anime Thread Mk I

Post by Compass » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:27 am

I'm going to wait a bit before picking this up, for hopefully reasonable reasons. As much as I like Unicorn, watching it again as a two cour is not really something I would place as high on my list.
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Quick Picks that ended Last Season: Gundam Build Fighters!!! Buddy Complex

User avatar
zetatype
Pilot's Doomed Girlfriend
Posts: 355
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:24 pm
Location: Buffalo, NY

Re: The Official Gundam Unicorn Re: 0096 Anime Thread Mk I

Post by zetatype » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:34 pm

Well, with exception of the 50 sec recap at the beginning, episode 2 picks up exactly where episode 1 left off, and everything is the same as the OVA. The episode ends with the Federation's incursion into the colony and the conclusion of the meeting between Cardia Vist and the Sleeves.

User avatar
YokozunaBulldozer
Elitist Earth Politician
Posts: 661
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:52 pm

Re: Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn Re: 0096

Post by YokozunaBulldozer » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:44 am

zetatype wrote:That's because Unicorn Re: 0096 is most likely a "last minute" effort to fill in that time slot. The show that previouly held that time slot was a Sunrise show called "Brave Beats" and it was suppose to last until the Fall season. However, the show got cancelled. Either Sunrise is contractually obligated to fill the time slot or they really want to hold onto the timeslot.

That being said I wonder how much Sunrise expects to get out of the audience that usually watches that time slot.
I see, guess they ran out of options like you said. :P
I was expecting some Sgt. Frog sequel or re-run but then remembered that was TV Tokyo. :D
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER

Dustman
Lackey GM Pilot
Posts: 87
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:20 pm

Re: The Official Gundam Unicorn Re: 0096 Anime Thread Mk I

Post by Dustman » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:02 pm

If I didn't already know that it's contractually obligated to MBS, I would have wondered why Sunrise didn't just rebroadcast Reconguista since it could have affordably benefited from the exposure to such a younger audience. It's a shame. So far I think its appeal has been limited to Tomino's fans rather than the average adult viewer. Certainly that's lead me to avoiding open dialogues since I know that it would initially only speak to a certain perspective prior to the gestation period.

Anyway, I think this really will just be a segmented version of the OVA in pairs of 3-for-1. Due to its cumulative length, as well as the tendency for some episodes to progress in a disjointed manner for what is essentially a cinematic presentation, I always wondered if a serialized television cut may improve the pacing. Now I get to test my theory! So far so good. Lets see how it works out for parts 4 and 5. (I personally have no major complaints with the final episode and thought it ended just fine. The middle episodes bother me the more as they feel fatigued by the production schedule.)

User avatar
zetatype
Pilot's Doomed Girlfriend
Posts: 355
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:24 pm
Location: Buffalo, NY

Re: The Official Gundam Unicorn Re: 0096 Anime Thread Mk I

Post by zetatype » Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:01 am

Well with episode 3 we have come to the end of the opening arc and unfortunately no new material to speak of. However, as I expected, there wasn't enough material left in the first OVA episode to fill out a 3rd TV episode so they used the first few minutes of the 2nd OVA episode. The episode ends with Banagher's flashback to when he was sitting in a chair getting shock therapy or whatever it was.

The problem with this is that Sunrise made no effort to smooth over the transition from the 1st OVA episode to the 2nd one. As soon as the Unicorn transforms and charges at the screen we see the Unicorn transform again like it did during the beginning of the 2nd OVA episode. Even for a project like this that is just incredibly lazy. And there was an 80 sec recap at the beginning of the episode.

The first 3 episodes are alright, but its clear that they work better as one 50 minute episode rather than three TV length episodes. I'll cotiune to hope for new content down the line, but the first three episodes haven't exactly inspired confidence, especially with the rocky transition at the end of the 3rd episode.

Dustman
Lackey GM Pilot
Posts: 87
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:20 pm

Re: The Official Gundam Unicorn Re: 0096 Anime Thread Mk I

Post by Dustman » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:30 pm

I was hoping that was just a glitch or that it was an unusually late commercial break but that's seriously how it was edited? I'm really disappointed with that because the footage for for the first two TV episodes were appropriately recut. But even it weren't, it's appalling to me that they phoned it in so badly. I mean, I know it's just a quick and dirty TV edit but I really hope that edits like this won't be an issue going forward.

Henyo
Mysterious Masked Dude
Posts: 518
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:24 am
Location: Hidden Tramo Village

Re: The Official Gundam Unicorn Re: 0096 Anime Thread Mk I

Post by Henyo » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:30 am

taht's also my complaint. they could have at least removed OVA 2's showing of the Unicorns transformation.

either i couldn't recall it due to having watched it a long time ago or i just plain didn't see it, Marida said that "it' s heavy" when she picked up beam saber of her enemy. is this some kind of design compatibility issues or something else?
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests