Frozen Teardrops ends officially!

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Amion

Re: Frozen Teardrops ends officially!

It's always possible Balofo's translations aren't as clear-cut as the novel is, admittedly. But I do know plot points are often out of left field. For instance, apparently Wing Zero deforms the moon's very shape in one war, and then it gets inexplicably fixed in time to look completely normal by the tv show time period. All in one chapter. Fill a chapter with those kinds of plot twists and turns, and it gets hard to process...
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
ShadowCell

Amion wrote:For instance, apparently Wing Zero deforms the moon's very shape in one war, and then it gets inexplicably fixed in time to look completely normal by the tv show time period.
"funny, i just noticed that someone has conveniently repaired the moon..."
Deacon Blues

Nothing major to report in the last two volumes. It seems that they added the audio drama version of "Launch! Snow White and Warlock" to the end of volume 12 for filler. Plus, Sumizawa loses his shit in the 13th volume afterword. It's almost humorous to read. I'll work on that for everyone.
balofo

The epilogue from the artbook is just Heero trying to change his name and Relena making a garden for him after they have been married for 5 months, Relena mentions having children and they embrace in the garden during sunset, the end.

Doktor J is alive(99 years old) and there's a mention of a Vampire Virus that makes Quatre and Vingt young.
Amion

Hahahahah. that's not funny, that last bit. It's not. But, oh. Hahaha! "Vampire virus? Because "why not?" Seriously. Why not?
ShadowCell

did they steal the Nomura Virus from Manly Guys Doing Manly Things because that is not cool guys
Deacon Blues

So here's the big takeaway from the afterword:
Katoki had been stubbornly saying that he didn't want it released until animated, but after repeatedly asking him, he allowed me unveil it. However, Mr. Katoki being who he is, there is a high possibility that he'll change the design when there is an animated version. Maybe he can't help it. Finally, I've decided I'm going to be liberated from Gundam Wing. Although G-Unit and Satanas were abandoned, I was already feeling burned out. If you love Gundam Wing, regardless of who you are, please write a sequel! For what it's worth, I never said that Frozen Teardrop was a sequel, it's just a simple catchphrase the folks at Kadokawa came up with.
Please note that he isn't announcing that there will be an anime adaptation of Frozen Teardrop.
Amion

Who's saying this, Deacon? Sumesawa?

If so, then we finally get a real explanation for why FT was so bad. The creator wanted out of Wing, and just couldn't take it anymore and created a parody?

Wait. So this is basically an official proxy to A typical Day of Gundam Seed Destiny?
balofo

Katoki ruined Sumisawa's reputation for potential gunpla royalty revenue, lel
Deacon Blues

I think he already ruined his reputation by penning this stuff. Either he was expertly trolling us all with this or I don't know what. He was also aware that people were grumbling about not seeing any mobile suits.
balofo

If it had MS lineart like the Unicorn novel it would at least make me wait for gunpla or game appearances since Katoki Wing designs are one of his best...

The story was bad and got nowhere, but there were some good ideas and 2 or 3 good fights.

They will probably sweep FT under the rug, just like G-Savior.
Deacon Blues

I think the story had promise when it first started coming out and they had every intention of releasing lineart, but it just seems that when he started taking all those weird twist and turns in the backstory everything changed... Part of me thinks he is stretching the truth with Katoki anyways. Wouldn't be the first time. He said that Gundam Ace asked for three times the amount of material from him in order to finish the story (guess they needed the space for something else).
meer campbell

The sad thing from all of that is that Sumisawa knows it sucks. He knows he wrote crap. What a waste of 5 years. Getting canceled on your anniversary is terrible. Happy Birthday Wing.
Amion

Feels more like he wanted it to be crap so he could get out of it forever.
meer campbell

Yeah but if he intentionally sabotaged Bandai's attempt to make money you would think they wouldn't want anything to do with him anymore. But he's working on Origin. But even if he did intentionally make it bad from what Deacon posted he still feels that it'll get animated.
Amion

It was a manga, though, so it wasn't particularly expensive to produce. It's not like he intentionally poisoned and ruined an expensive animated production out of malicious intent to ensure he never worked on the particular story again.

From the info it sounds like they made demands of him that weren't originally asked. That probably creates a loophole of "well maybe if you guys stuck with your contract I'd have not been pressured into making crazy filler up for your magazine", or something along those lines.

More importantly: he's the guy who created Wing. He's a successful writer. Look at Tomino. He's made plenty of blunders, one of which was recent, but has still come back again and again because he's made some legendary anime like Gundam and Idion. Sumesawa just wanted to make his name poison around Wing, so he won't have to do anything with it specifically. He's done great with Origin, so obviously he is still got his touch and Bandai recognizes that. That touch will just never go back to Wing, because he marred it on purpose. I must say, it was a delightfully awful marring. Guess that's how you fight a mega corp like Bandai.
balofo

Look at Tomino. He's made plenty of blunders, one of which was recent
G-Reco was a success even if lots of people didn't like it and with Bamco not puting faith in it. Can't say the same for AGE, Try and IBO.
Henyo

balofo wrote:
Look at Tomino. He's made plenty of blunders, one of which was recent
G-Reco was a success even if lots of people didn't like it and with Bamco not puting faith in it. Can't say the same for AGE, Try and IBO.

i'd like some detailes about G-Reco's success. i don't know where to look exactly for a series to be considered successful.(and i only looks at sales when i've got nothing else to click.)

do note that i don't hate G-Reco. i found it good. going back to FT, it doesn't have much art? the light novels I've bought have at least more than 5 pieces of artwork. both in story illustrations and extras/covers
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
balofo

G-Reco was set to fail with only 4 gunplas initially planned for it, low budget and a horrible timeslot. It ended with higher ratings than Try, gunpla were made even after it ended in response to fan feedback and it got decent BD sales. A complete success for Bamco, it seems we are even getting movies for it.

Regarding FT lineart: Katoki did the MS in all the covers, Asagi did all the character images and Moruga did the B/W MS images inside the novel. All the Asagi character pictures have been compiled in a mook released a few days ago.
Amion

I was using G-Reco as an example but more storywise, but I guess Brain Powerd or whatever it's called might do better. Or Turn A, since for Bandai I don't believe it was a financial cue in the gunpla department, was it?