The Official Gundam Thunderbolt Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Ferrus_Manus

Re: The Official Gundam Thunderbolt Anime Thread Mk I

penguintruth wrote: By the way, there's no such thing as a "thunderbolt". Lightning bolts. Thunder is just sound. You can't have "thunderbolts". Thunder doesn't do squat.
You mean a word that is universally used in many languages doesn't exist because you think it doesn't exist? The definition of a thunderbolt is: A thunderbolt is a symbolic representation of lightning when accompanied by a loud thunderclap.

Also, it has many names in different languages.
German: Donnerkeil
Swedish: Viggen
Japanese: Raiden

Also, the name "Thunderbolt" for the manga is symbolic because the Thunderbolt Sector where most of the Story takes place is realm of space wrecked by massive discharges of electrostatic lightning.
Iron in Mind. Iron in Body
penguintruth

It doesn't change the fact that thunder doesn't hit you. There's no bolt of thunder. Not a single human being has ever died being hit by thunder. It's lightning. Lightning bolt.

And if the electric discharges are creating an effect, it's going to look like lightning. Thunder doesn't look like anything.
Visit my YouTube page for episodes of Otaku Evolution, my anime review show! (Watch with Adblock off!)
ShadowCell

err, so?
penguintruth

So... I, uh, have too much time on my hands, apparently.
Visit my YouTube page for episodes of Otaku Evolution, my anime review show! (Watch with Adblock off!)
monster

penguintruth wrote:It doesn't change the fact that thunder doesn't hit you. There's no bolt of thunder.
You're misunderstanding the name of the phenomenon. A thunderbolt is not a bolt of thunder.

A thunderbolt is a flash of lightning with a simultaneous crash of thunder. In other words, it's a bolt of lightning that is accompanied by thunder.

If you only see the lightning or hear only the thunder, then you're not observing a thunderbolt.

But regardless, it's a nice sounding name, and that's really all that matters in this context. (Still, the meaning works as well, which is a nice bonus.)
Kuruni

penguintruth wrote:By the way, there's no such thing as a "thunderbolt". Lightning bolts. Thunder is just sound. You can't have "thunderbolts". Thunder doesn't do squat.
Tell that to Marvel, or Intel, or Studio Nue.

If you want to call any of these people idiot, choose Marvel. Because fuck Disney (Narnia should be in public domain now if it isn't for these assholes).
My girlfriend was a loli.
Zeonista

Amion wrote:Don't think I'll be watching this...the designs are simply not to my tastes. That, and yet another Gundam beside the RX-78 is now shown lurking the Earth Sphere. How many of these things did those Feddies build?
That's cause the Federation can not win without one. :P Never mind extra-shield super-cool Hazel Thunderbolt, I will be enjoying the burly upgraded monoeye MS. 8) Even the Zaku I looks badass.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Swithin

I've been hoping this would get an anime adaptation ever since I first started reading it! I'm honestly a little stunned that Bandai would take a chance on this, partially because they usually don't animate the things I actually want them to animate, and also because Iron Blooded Orphans seems to be darker and broodier than most TV Gundam and I'm surprised they're following that with this. Awesome news!
ShadowCell wrote:
YokozunaBulldozer wrote: well, okay, but what makes this one different from all the other One Year War stories that focus on one little piece of the war?
I think what others haven't really stressed enough is that Thunderbolt is gritty (however gritty you're imagining? Grittier than that,) and deeply psychological. The story, at its core, has to do with a Federation ace, a Zeon ace, and how the low value both sides of the conflict place on human lives affects the soldiers and civilians caught up in the war (I know this is a recurring theme in Gundam, but it's truly the focus here.) We're dealing with broken people - and this is depicted and literalized in awesome ways (the writing and the art work together to set the tone perfectly.)

The Federation pilot, Io Fleming, does pilot a Full Armor Gundam - but it's basically a one-off unit (someone was concerned about OYW Gundam-creep.) Io is the perfect image of a Feddie ace, right off a propaganda poster: he has good looks, slick hair, basically had the kind of background where he could have probably avoided service entirely but chose to enlist - and prodigious piloting skills to boot. The catch? He's basically a sociopath (at the very least, he's a nihilist.) Without spoiling anything you won't find early in the first volume, he sees the lie that is civilized society. Not only can you get away with killing, you can be applauded and awarded for it - humanity hasn't evolved past violence, and Io embraces his. He has learned how to navigate the military and its etiquette for the chance to feel alive in the cockpit, hunting and killing others before they do the same to him. Also, he listens to free-form jazz from an old-timey transistor radio in his cockpit during engagements, and seems to get off on it all. :/

Darryl Lorenz, the Zeon pilot, is his mirror image. Came from poverty. Conscripted. Lost his legs in combat on earth. After that, Zeon finds that he (and other amputees like him,) might still have some marginal use as test-subjects/test-pilots and assign him to a special unit in the backwater Thunderbolt sector nicknamed "The Living Dead". Unlike Io, who seems to thrive in war, Darryl is just... numbed. He also has an old-timey (but Zeonic!) radio in the cockpit, but he listens to pre-war pop songs and Vera Lynn style ballads.

Their supporting casts are equally colorful - just don't get too attached to every single character. This is a war, after all. ;) I won't spoil any more of the story, but if you like old war movies you'll love this (it especially reminds me of movies about pilots during the Battle of Britain.)
ShadowCell

:| and /m/ thought i was too grimdark...
YokozunaBulldozer

I hope they get the jazz music just right.
So considering there is about 5 volumes of the manga out and a 6th one on the way, I assume this will be an OVA which I can see it being given its size.
Looking forward to Io's(pronounced "ee-oh" for those not sure how to pronounce it) Full Armor Gundam being animated with all those shields and guns and thrusters mounted on it.
And Io's glorious Billy Idol + Super Saiyan hair.
Oh yes, that glorious spiky blonde hair...
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
Henyo

i'll be looking forward to this. but as always, i have no time to check out the source material.
my supplier, and our group's mecha anime expert, has 0 reaction to the upcoming animated work.
in his own words:

"another one to mess up the OYW."

how right is he? not that i mind, nor can do anything, about retcons. :lol:
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
excalibur2008

Zeonista wrote: That's cause the Federation can not win without one.
At least the federation can actually win a war.
Amion

Hey, Zeon's War didn't end for years, and they almost destroyed Earth twice. if not for that blasted Revil...
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
excalibur2008

Amion wrote:and they almost destroyed Earth twice.
But they didn't.
Amion

excalibur2008 wrote:
But they didn't.
If not for Revil... and that blasted White Devil.
excalibur2008

Amion wrote:
excalibur2008 wrote:
But they didn't.
If not for Revil... and that blasted White Devil.
Or maybe if they had just done it instead of making a big show of it.
Zeonista

Swithin: Thanks for promo blurb and description, it sounds intense and bloody and an exercise in pointless violence. In other words, my kind of show. :D

excalibur2008: the anime and games support me to date. No Gundam, no Feddy win. The margin of victory was that close. But like I said, burly monoeye MS already sold me on this one.

YokozunaBulldozer: A short series or an OVA would be OK by me. Billy Idol is forever cool in his spike-hair snarling coolness. 8)
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
excalibur2008

Zeonista wrote: excalibur2008: the anime and games support me to date. No Gundam, no Feddy win. The margin of victory was that close. But like I said, burly monoeye MS already sold me on this one.
Close doesn't mean shit in wars they still lost.

Besides at least the Federation invested in a super weapon that actually worked, unlike Zeon and their horde of defeated mobile armors.
Amion

excalibur2008 wrote:
Zeonista wrote: excalibur2008: the anime and games support me to date. No Gundam, no Feddy win. The margin of victory was that close. But like I said, burly monoeye MS already sold me on this one.
Close doesn't mean ZOINKS in wars they still lost.

Besides at least the Federation invested in a super weapon that actually worked, unlike Zeon and their horde of defeated mobile armors.
I'm 99.99% sure you're wrong, excalibur. From what I know, Zeon didn't lose the war. They never officially surrendered. They signed a peace treaty, which made provisions for the end of the Principality, since the Zabis were down to one little baby in terms of remaining "Sovereign" candidates. The Republic of Zeon retained autonomy, still held onto A Baoa Qu, and even had its own military force. In many ways they could be argued to have all but signed their loss, but technically speaking it was not a true "defeat" on paper, just ensured there would be no future fighting. It's a running debate, but technically Zeon didn't have to give up after A Baoa Qu if it didn't want to.

After all, there's a reason for why Axis returns in strength. :D

Moreover, the real loss was Ghiren. If he'd stayed alive his master plan would have Solar Rayed the Gundam and the remnant Feddies to ash. It was Kyscillia who really bungled things by murdering the master tactician without asking what his game plan was for letting the enemy advance the way he did.
excalibur2008

Amion wrote: I'm 99.99% sure you're wrong, excalibur. From what I know, Zeon didn't lose the war.
Funny, getting sent scurrying into the dark corners of the Earth Sphere whilst your nation works towards rejoining the group you were at at war with sure sounds like losing.