The Official Gundam Thunderbolt Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
balofo

Re: The Official Gundam Thunderbolt Anime Thread Mk I

Confirmation this image is legit: https://i.imgur.com/wZgEdcS.jpg

Appears in the bandai hobby site: http://bandai-hobby.net/site/index.html

Different colors and lessened details confirmed
battletech

It could still be just a promo pic put together to have some kind of image with the news.
"The souls of Man are weighed down by gravity." - Char Aznable
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.-Clarke
YokozunaBulldozer

zetatype wrote:Huh.....other than seeing the title pop up from time to time I know nothing about this gundam series. Wonder if I should go in blind or try to look up the source material.
At its core it is a side story set in the One Year War but it has an element or two that kind of sets itself apart.
First volume seemed alright and Otagaki(the creator)'s rendition of familiar mobile suits, clunky as they might seem, were interesting.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
balofo

Studio 1 confirmed, more info in November
Raikoh

Being a Gundam fan means I'm pretty much obliged to watch it. Though I really can't get behind the Mobile Suits that are approximately 80% backpack and more OYW is kind of disappointing. I dunno, if the action is decent I guess it'll be okay but the plot seems like it's nothing to write home about.

We're never going to see an animated Crossbone, are we?
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE
balofo

Bamco is a business so they are going for the guaranteed sell in OYW and backpack heavy MS.

At least people will stop BSing that a manga/a series not animated but with 1/144 HGs already can't be adapted
ShadowCell

YokozunaBulldozer wrote:
ShadowCell wrote:so what does this story have going for it that no others do? genuinely curious, since gundam wiki gonna gundam wiki.
Nothing too fancy, it starts off during the end times of the One Year War and takes place at the Thunderbolt Sector where a lot of electric discharge occurs due to colony debris and Federation and Zeon fight to take control of the supply route.
well, okay, but what makes this one different from all the other One Year War stories that focus on one little piece of the war?
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

Huh. I had no idea this manga was popular nor have I ever heard of it before; additionally, I wasn't expecting any further Gundam announcements except an official date for The Origin Part 3...thus this Thunderbolt anime comes out of left field for me.

I am going to place my money on this being released via OVA format much like Unicorn/The Origin. Sunrise seems to like that for UC material coupled with the fact that we are half-way done with The Origin...I figure this is Sunrise's attempt to keep the "cash cow(?)" going...or at least a profit going...

But then again, I could be completely wrong since I am just guessing nor do I know if the OVA format is profitable. I certainly HOPE it is a TV series, but I am just expecting the former.
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
Deacon Blues

ShadowCell wrote:well, okay, but what makes this one different from all the other One Year War stories that focus on one little piece of the war?
The Zeons portrayed in this manga are walking amputees... with various body parts replaced with prosthetic limbs. The second protagonist (or maybe he's the first) actually lost both arms and legs to operate a mobile suit better...

Oh, and we can't forget the monks who recite chants and burn random bodies of the dead from the battlefield... then go after the Zeon remnants :P

I still can't figure out if they're actual chants or just jibberish the artist threw in.
Amion

The more I hear the more I am horrified. This is seriously popular enough to get an adaption?

Yeah....we are never seeing Crossbone animated. Not this next decade, anyway.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Zeonista

Wow, I did not see this coming.... I guess those burly, mad detailed and heavily accessorized HG kits have been very popular! As a Zeonista of course I am obliged to watch it; UC forever! Interesting this story would get that much of a following, since nifty MS aside the Japanese normally shy away from depicting a person with crippling and deforming injury. But then maybe in the current age when Tokyo Ghoul is a hit show things have changed.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Amion

I'm just worried they might cut funding from certain other projects. I know I'm reading too much into it, but the bad art from last week's IBO left me dissatisfied. What happens next? A new UC show.

One that sounds rather... questionable. Oh well. Maybe we'll see something worth while from it.
Amion

Don't think I'll be watching this...the designs are simply not to my tastes. That, and yet another Gundam beside the RX-78 is now shown lurking the Earth Sphere. How many of these things did those Feddies build?
ShadowCell

they're free with the purchase of one MacDaniels Joyful Meal!
Dark Duel

I think we're reaching the point where there are so many different variants of that thing running around during the OYW that they might as well have mass-produced it. For my part, I will almost certainly be passing on this one.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Amion

Didn't they mass produce the Gundam though? I thought 8th MS Team essentially confirms they mass produce a slightly less quality model.
Ceiling_Squid

Amion wrote:Didn't they mass produce the Gundam though? I thought 8th MS Team essentially confirms they mass produce a slightly less quality model.
Well, not quite. IIRC, the Gundams from 08th MS were built with spare parts from Project V, which is why replacing certain components was impossible. It's why we see the EZ8 variation and the GM Head, which were rebuilt with new/different parts.
Amion wrote:Don't think I'll be watching this...the designs are simply not to my tastes. That, and yet another Gundam beside the RX-78 is now shown lurking the Earth Sphere. How many of these things did those Feddies build?
As far as the Gundam is concerned, I suppose I can stretch my expectations a little. What little I've seen of Thunderbolt seems to suggest we just have another (albiet heavily modified) Full-Armor Gundam running around. And if we're going to be honest, excluding anything non-animated from the picture means that we've got, what, about three noteworthy Gundams in the animated OYW canon? Excluding the one-off RX-79[G] units, there's the original, the Alex, and now the Thunderbolt.

Seems reasonable to me. I mean, it only looks really crowded when we take MSV and side stories into account, and even then, I'm okay with the original RX-78 being less "special". Don't some prototypes go through a lot of iterations to test out different configurations and features? Even with the active Gundam count as high as it is, there were so many GMs produced that it still seems like a reasonable ratio of prototypes-to-production units.
penguintruth

I've never even heard of Gundam Thunderbolt! Crossbones or even Zeta Define would make more sense.

But whatever, I'm a sucker for the UC. I'll watch it.

By the way, there's no such thing as a "thunderbolt". Lightning bolts. Thunder is just sound. You can't have "thunderbolts". Thunder doesn't do squat.
Visit my YouTube page for episodes of Otaku Evolution, my anime review show! (Watch with Adblock off!)
Amion

Yeah, but in the ooooold days people didn't get hung up on the particulars of electrical physics, and said thunderbolt. Besides, it sounds better.
Last edited by Amion on Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.