Mobile Suit Gundam Watching Guide by ANN.

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Henyo

Re: Mobile Suit Gundam Watching Guide by ANN.

i read ANN articles regularly, and in some cases, look out for the writer getting facts wrong.
like in the X button that covered JOJO ASB. said that Polnareff is a Benimaru wannabee.(got it backwards there dude.) anothe review, on Getter Robo Armageddon, has the reviewer mentioning Go Nagai several times as the creator.

i have to ask though, what's with the "unlikable protagonist" in CCA? from what I've gathered on the internet Amuro is just not as popular as Char Aznable. Not disliked like Shinn Asuka.

is it Quess? isn't she more of a secondary character?(or am i just getting my terms mixed up...)

one more thing, good animation isn't the only thing needed in a good to watch anime.(in regards to Unicorn.)
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
Dusk Raven

I saw Wing and Endless Waltz on the "shouldn't watch" list and nearly flipped the bird to my computer screen. This is why I generally stay away from such lists, they're entirely subjective depending on the writer. I'd have to see an in-depth justification as to why Wing and EW (I will admit I just saw the OP's summary, not the article itself) are to be avoided, since they're my favorite of any Gundam series I've seen.

Ultimately, as I say, one probably should ask friends for what to watch rather than strangers, since which series to watch depends largely on what kind of plot you're looking for.
Nikkolas

As a relative newcomer to the series I do feel obligated to help others the best I can.

As such, my only suggestions are:
Watch: 00 Season 1
Don';t Watch: 00 Season 2
Dark Duel

Henyo wrote:i have to ask though, what's with the "unlikable protagonist" in CCA? from what I've gathered on the internet Amuro is just not as popular as Char Aznable. Not disliked like Shinn Asuka.

is it Quess? isn't she more of a secondary character?(or am i just getting my terms mixed up...)
Quess, IMO, is also primarily an antagonistic character. I think the "unlivable protagonist" probably refers to Hathaway...and let's be honest, it's kinda true. Again, IMO.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Zeonista

Zeino wrote:Just want to share with you all this article that ANN put out today that tells people what are and aren't worth watching: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature ... ing/.94461

Should Watch: MSG, MS 08th Team, 0080, Zeta, Unicorn, Turn-A, Build Fighters and Build Fighters Try.

Maybe: 0083, CCA, G, X, SEED.

Shouldn't Watch: ZZ, F91, Victory, Wing+Endless Waltz, Seed Destiny, 00, Age, G-Reco.
Ah yes, inevitably some self-appointed expert steps up to tell us all what we should like and not like. What an idiot, doesn't this person know that my list of stuff to like is better than theirs? :lol:

The category titles of course are enough to make any Gundam fan's hackles rise. They are bound to offend someone, and this thread's comments are the proof. I would step in and re-label the categories as "Required Viewing", "Further Viewing", and "Gundam Fans Only". That is more to the point, more effective, and less likely to get digital firebombs sent to one's email address.

If the "Should Watch" list is made over into "Required Viewing", I am willing to agree with most of the anime listed. They are a good selection of Gundam shows that have enduring popularity, have been popular outside the confines of Gundam fandom, have made contributions to anime creation beyond Gundam, and consistently put their best creative foot forward.

Again, making "Maybe" into "Further Viewing" clarifies things a little more. All those listed anime are good in their own right, and have something to add to the franchise multiverse, but a casual or n00b fan does not have to watch them to get into watching Gundam.

For the last category, I must first issue the mandatory protest over any Gundam anime being dismissed as unworthy based purely on opinion. Everyone here has a Gundam preference and their cherished favorites, and if we could get 2 out of 3 random lists to match I would be pleasantly surprised! That being said, I will concede the point that some Gundam anime wander far afield from the original concept, or they required a stronger hand at the creative helm. Or maybe they just have some internal flaws that overshadow their good points, no matter what their particular fans may say. (And they will say it datte ba yo! :D) For all the anime listed in this category (except for Wing + Waltz) yeah... These are not the ones to recommend to someone who is interested but unversed in Gundam.

Now, in my not-at-all-humble opinion, CCA should ascend to the "Required Viewing" list, while Unicorn and Try should go in the "Further Viewing" section along with WIng + Waltz. But it wasn't my list to begin with, and so it will have to do.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde