Heavy Object

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Destiny_Gundam

Heavy Object

If you like your mecha shows super gritty and super technical, you should definitely check this one out.

War... War has changed! Thanks to the invention of giant war machines called Objects war has essentially become a battle between those weapons. Foot soldiers are all but useless, but when two find themselves having to take down an Object with only their wits and minimal supplies, are they up for the task?

It's from the writer of a Certain Magical Index so there's lots of info dumps but as I said if you like technical explainations of how mecha works it's right up your alley. The Objects are interesting designs, lacking any style or flair that most anime mecha do. The characters are pretty fun too and I like stories where weaklings have to use their smarts to come out on top against a stronger opponent.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Henyo

Re: Heavy Object

BABY MAGNUM IS A BALL!!

Also,

OPPAI!!!!!

will watch this to the end. the character designs and animation are good. of course, i won't be able to check out the source material. that's reserved for Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon at the moment. :twisted:
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
MrMarch

Strange mechanical design. Probably not something a traditional mecha anime fan would be initially attracted to, but it certainly is a very different take on the genre. The fiction is interesting and the character designs are good. Definitely something at least worth a look.
Amion

It's obvious the Object is the union between the Neo Zeong and a Ball. This is what happens when you let a mobile armor be built with a time machine. Blast you, Full Frontal...

Of course, I actually rather like the spider mech I saw in the manga release. Maybe it'll be pretty cool. Sort of like a land battleship take rather than walking humanoid robot.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Destiny_Gundam

Is the spider mech you're talking about different from the one in these first few episodes? The Water Strider had enough maintainence issues with four legs, I find it hard to believe some one would build one with eight.
Zeonista

Three episodes in, the story was definitely different than I expected. I expected a giant robot, but instead we got a giant...object. Or as a friend put it, Baby Magnum is an Ontos. ;) The main hero is a mecha tech, not a mecha jock, and that leads to much Shirow-style techno-babble instead of the usual heroic antics. the quick discarding of the "new war" idea in favor of the "war is still hell" part got the show grounded again and kept things from getting too giant robot in their attitude.

The moose hunt, mandatory army grousing, fan service and the hero's mortal tribulations are also a fun refresher from the technical details and the focus on uber weapons. The Japanophile captain is especially nice. :oops:
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Destiny_Gundam

The guys' reactions to realising how screwed they are are great. But they keep at it anyways even if they didn't do as much damage as they'd hoped.

And Milida is a total QT.
Zeonista

Qwenthur is my hero now. 8)

Concerning the episode where the crew was fighting in Antarctica concerning resource development... That may not be entirely fictional.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015 ... ctica.html

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Destiny_Gundam

I'm sure the penguins will usher in a long lasting peace!

Props to Qwenthur and all, but putting Floretia aside he'll have a bigger problem when the jealous 14 year old in the death machine find out what he did...
Zeonista

Yes, Qwenthur will have to deal with a jealous princess next time. It is something to anticipate beside the usual desperate heroics! :D

Amion

This series didn't really grab me at all. Everytime I try an episode all I see are Qwinther and his friend meandering around complaining about how lame their existence is.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Henyo

Amion wrote:This series didn't really grab me at all. Everytime I try an episode all I see are Qwinther and his friend meandering around complaining about how lame their existence is.
another thing they complain about is the lack of fanservice around them. fortunately for them, they got an increase in that later down the road. Floraytia is still the main source though. the Princess is always inside her Baby Magnum most of the times.

i'm still watching it. though honestly speaking, it more for the character designs than anything else. :twisted:
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
Zeonista

Amion wrote:This series didn't really grab me at all. Everytime I try an episode all I see are Qwinther and his friend meandering around complaining about how lame their existence is.
It is the most real thing about the show, Amion. All soldiers on active duty away from home complain about their lame existence and fantasize about beautiful women. There is nothing like a dame...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgzvTHsOxSQ

Heavy Object has been fun for me not only for the character antics but for the fact that when all is said and done it is a proper mecha anime with human capability and concerns front and center. The introduction made a big deal about Objects changing warfare as Modern Man knew it. Said premise was then perpetually & cheerfully undermined by an engineering student and a bored noble who time and again used their wits, their knowledge, and personal determination to play Jack the Object Killer. Their reward was that due any real heroes; a pat on the back, a medal, and a more challenging assignment. Truth! :lol: Admittedly the science has been on the Hollywood side, but it has been mostly good Hollywood science without the STTNG parts catalog. Members who complain about Gundam anime being fixed with beam spam should have been pleased by heroes who have built the better mousetrap time and again. (Bitching and screaming all the way like proper soldiers! :D)