Code Geass director has a new project: "Active Raid"

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
YokozunaBulldozer

Re: Code Geass director has a new project: "Active Raid"

I finally saw episode 1 and it felt like a typical Heisei-era Kamen Rider Show mixed with some Tiger & Bunny while taking a note or two from Patlabor and distilling some Virus Buster Serge.
Would I like to see more? Yes, just to see where this will head towards.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
wielder

Personally speaking, I'd say episode 2 was a nice change over the first (which I already enjoyed) in a couple of ways. It's still as formulaic as you'd expect from the genre this show really belongs to, but I am having a good time watching the series so far.

They kept the lighthearted atmosphere and silly gags but, fortunately enough, slowed down the general flow of events in order to give a few of the cast members some time in the spotlight. In fact, they also revealed slightly more details about the setting too. That said, the eventual villain seems rather unimpressive, although the show appears to be self-aware enough about it.

Asami actually got to use a power-suit and we learned more about what she really thinks (POLICE = JUSTICE!), beyond her complaints about the rest of Unit 8, and Rin came across as a fairly reasonable person with a more pragmatic sense of police work. Almost too pragmatic for a moment there.

That also means we got a less hectic combat scene, combining the jokes with a nice move or two. In short, this remains a series you shouldn't attempt to take too seriously and I am fine with that.
Soul Eater, the True Rune
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

I am enjoying Active Raid quite a bit. I have a weakness for stories with...shall we say, Scatterbrained story telling (Baccano and Kekkai Sensen being other, more extreme, examples) and Active Raid fits right in there. Unfortunately for me it seems many in the anime community have dropped Active Raid or just have given up on it due to its lack of "plot progression." True, it has not developed its main plot against Logos yet, just giving hints every few episodes, but it is spending time giving an episode for each member of its cast to shine and take the forefront. Which I can appreciate.

Active Raid is doing a lot of interesting stuff and its cast is energetic, interesting, and useful (ie all of them have STUFF to do). Which is rather refreshing these days, where most of the supporting cast just doesn't do anything. I don't think it is going to be the best anime of the year, but to me it has more potential then half the stuff out these days...it is just unfortunate that the average fan isn't giving it time to pay-off.

But I digress, anyone here keeping up with it? Last weeks episode would be right up mechatalk's alleyway and this weeks episode had some good emotional weight to it.
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
wielder

I've also been enjoying the show myself. Just not posting about it in recent weeks.

I would say episode 6 has been the best one so far, in no small part due to its nostalgic treatement of giant robots. I am also rather happy with the new opening sequence, since the original version of the same seemed like a placeholder.

The series is indeed very episodic, preferring to keep the main plot in the background for now. It's a lot like many Tokusatsu shows, where the "monster of the week" format is typically dominant and the truly important threats will only come into focus later on. This is also reflected in the style and tone, which have remained lighthearted and pretty silly for the most part.

Having said that, it's already possible to make an educated guess about what will most likely be happening in the long run. The hints seem relatively easy to interpret at this point in time, though I wouldn't be too shocked if we were blindsided by a plot twist or two.

Concerning the staff, it's interesting to point out they've brought a few additional writers to work on the individual Active Raid scripts. Which helps explain why there are so many differences between particular episodes.
Soul Eater, the True Rune
Ryujin

It's interesting to note that, in the past two episodes, the tone of the story has been growing more serious. While the stakes in-universe have always been relatively high, last week's episode concluded with the death of the lead scientist (albeit in a peaceful manner) while this week had the antagonist-of-the-week being fried by a brat and the politician who felt responsible apparently taking his own life afterwards.