Macross Mega Marathon

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Macross Mega Marathon

Some of you might be familiar with the Gundam Mega Marathon I've been on for the past couple of years and I'm not abandoning it, but with the announcement of the new Macross Delta tv series, I realized it had been quite a while since I had watched Macross. Therefore, I'll be going on a Macross Mega Marathon, which should be a little less consuming than the Gundam Marathon.
Don't worry, I'm not giving up on Gundam; I'll of course be watching G-Tekketsu as it airs. Anyway, I'll be posting my impressions here, just like with my Gundam thread.

(It also helps that it's Macross's 33rd Anniversary today.) 8)
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Zeonista

Re: Macross Mega Marathon

Go for it! I am interested in your observations.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
MrMarch

I've been getting a major itch to rewatch SDF Macross for some time and want to give Macross Frontier a rewatch before the new Macross Delta series is released. But I won't have the time to go through the entire franchise. But it'd be fun to read your reactions to the series.
Henyo

looking forward to it. i cannot slide in M7 to my watching schedule. i'll have to make do with output from other watchers and articles. :D

BTW, will this marathon include Macross II? :D
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
Arbiter GUNDAM

do you think Macross 2 has the best culture? (yes, I'll be watching it.) :)

--Freyja Wion
Henyo

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:do you think Macross 2 has the best culture? (yes, I'll be watching it.) :)
if this was a reference to M II then i missed it. XD
it was a VERY long time since i watched it. way back when i didn't have a DVD player of my own.(and had go over to a friend's house to watch em.) ah dayumn, i remembered that i already lost my Macross II DVD...
Arbiter GUNDAM

Henyo wrote: if this was a reference to M II then i missed it. XD
It's a quote from Dennis Lone when he and Hibiki are covering the first battle of the Marduk Invasion. :)

EPISODE 1: BOOBY TRAP

Iconic Scene: Hikaru's VF-1D rises out of the rubble.

Quotable Quotes: It was decided in the Defense Council yesterday that once the Macross lifted off into space, if we were to ever encounter alien lifeforms, we were not to initiate hostilities. How ironic that sounds now.

Best Scene: In this episode... probably Hikaru for his devil may care stunts but you know he's going to make big mistakes like this in the future.

Best Death: The ARMD-1. better brush up on carrier battle doctrine.

So here's episode and it's a great opener to the series. Not to heavy on exposition and we don't even have to be formally introduced to the entire cast. Since it's been about three whole years since i've watched the original series I love going through these episodes and noticing all the little details I never noticed before.

--Freyja Wion
MrMarch

Looking back on the first episode from the perspective of a fan of mechanical design, I know what surprised me about the debut was the large number of designs introduced in just one episode. And I’m not talking just about the main hero and enemy mecha, but the number of background vehicles, the aircraft, the ships, etc. Almost every scene has something to look at. I remember years ago I was just overwhelmed by all the stuff there is to see.
Arbiter GUNDAM

EPISODE 2: COUNTDOWN

Iconic Scene: HIkaru attacks!

Quotable Quotes: Not you, you idiot! THE GIRL!

Best Scene: The scene where Hikaru has to save Minmay in freefall. Kinda surprised they didn't go for the upskirt shot.

Best Death: The poor schmuck who gets point-blanked by a Reguld.

I saw the OTHER version of this episode for about 5 minutes in about 1998. It's what later gave me the reference point for what Macross was. As for this episode specifically, things start getting real as Britai's fleet makes the first serious attempt to capture tha Macross. Two things that i also mentioned in the pictures: Roy, stop worrying about getting some jailbait and go DO YOUR JOB. Secondly, where are all the Destroids? Isn't this what they were specifically designed for?

Also, check out this link for a gallery of screenshots from the episodes: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... b7090795f7

--Freyja Wion
Henyo

It's Roy Fokker, whatdya expect from him? his priorities have always been skewed. XD
i just finished SDF Macross some two years ago. dubbed. i was on a mecha watching spree back then.
BTW, are you watching the dubbed version? i liked Minogna as Ichijou. and Iijima also doing Minmay in the dub is amusing. :D

lastly, will you make mention of the changes made for the Robotech version?
Last edited by Henyo on Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arbiter GUNDAM

No, I'm watching it in Japanese. The ADV dub is no longer available on Hulu so I figured this was a good opportunity. And no, I don't know what any of the changes are in Robotech except a few like the character names and cutting out Minmay's backside. I've never seen Robotech and have no desire to do so, in any case.

--Freyja Wion
Arbiter GUNDAM

OK, in episode 3 did somebody forget to tell some of the animators that Roy's VF-1S is supposed to have a cockpit pod attached, NOT the Gunpod. :P

also, I guess this is where StarPro started working on episodes...

--Freyja Wion
Henyo

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:OK, in episode 3 did somebody forget to tell some of the animators that Roy's VF-1S is supposed to have a cockpit pod attached, NOT the Gunpod. :P
can i order a pic for that? can't visualize.
StarPro..first time i've heard of them..and no wonder..they only worked for four animes.
MrMarch

Hahahaha, not exactly the finest hour for SDF Macross :)
Arbiter GUNDAM

EPISODE 3: SPACE FOLD

Iconic Scene: The Macross space folds for the first time… and it doesn’t go quite right...

Quotable Quotes: The Fold System has… disappeared.

Best Scene: Probably Roy escaping with Hikaru and Minmay just for the sheer amount of animation errors

Best Death: The hapless, nameless Reguld pilot who punches a hole into the Macross’s hull for Hikaru and Minmay.

--Freyja Wion
Arbiter GUNDAM

So, episode 3, the comedy of errors continues. Because the Macross can't get a break, Global orders a space fold... a space fold with the heretofore untested Fold System. And of course it goes wrong, stranding everyone on the edge of the solar system. We also get some signs of the UN Forces High Command's forthcoming douchebaggery.

EPISODE 4: LYNN MINMAY (stuff for episode 4 starts with the picture of Hikaru's watch)

Iconic Scene: SPACE TUNA!

Quotable Quotes: Tuna! Sashimi!

Best Scene: Hikaru leaps out into space to get a tuna... even though he likely would have frozen to death almost instantly.

Best Death: The tuna that gave it's life because the fold system malfunctioned and then became dinner for Hikaru and Minmay.

--Freyja Wion
Arbiter GUNDAM

EPISODE 5: Transformation

Iconic Scene: The Macross transforms for the first time, of course.

Quotable Quotes: So, this is the Macross's transformation.

Best character: In this episode it would have to go to Global. He once again shows that he's and honorable man but is willing to do what's necessary.

Best Death: I'm pretty sure I saw some poor sod get sucked out into space.

--Freyja Wion
MrMarch

Just going through these episodes again, it's amazing how SDF-1-focused the original series could be at times. We never really got any big space ship focused story like this again, even in Frontier.
Zeonista

I am really into the episode reviews here. Good times. :)

Yeah, the animation quality was really uneven, although as a young fan I didn't care. It still left Hanna-Barbera gasping in the dust. Some episodes are better than others though, and somehow the mecha action always looked good. ;) Action will continue to be fast, furious, and brutal. Anime, even mecha anime, has gotten rather tame due to the contemporary censorship drive. Macross wasn't a midnight anime, and it was up front about violent death as a consequence of all the cool action.

The camping out parts of episode 4 come across better now than 25 years ago. Hikaru & Minmay get character development and come across as nice young people in search of a better life. Minmay freaming of being a bride, definitely not a 2015 heroine...
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Arbiter GUNDAM

Jumping ahead a bit but...

Thoughts on SDF Macross episode 11:
-Max, we need to do another take, that's not a look of incredulousness, it's more like your O-face.
-The animation grinds to a halt as as Hikaru just stands there.
-Damn but there's a lot of staticky, glitchy animation here!
-Max's blue and white Valk somehow becomes the orange and tan VF-1D for one scene.
-Was this one of the episodes they rushed because there is a LOT of inbetweening missing.
-And... Hikaru is being surprisingly sexist all of a sudden. I wonder if he's just trying to piss Misa off or something?
-Are those two girls with Minmay supposed to be the real-life references?
-Lol, Minmay just disappears between cuts. grin emoticon
-Insert your own, "That's no moon, it's a space station" joke here. smile emoticon
-PROTOCULTURE!!!
-And now it's time to Kyun Kyun.
-Huh. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the first time we see Roy and Claudia in the same room?

--Freyja Wion