Jerid's Final Words

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
doghunter1

Jerid's Final Words

Two questions about what Jerid Messa was saying in his death scene in Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam:

1. What exactly was the correct translation of Kazuhiko Inoue's line from the Japanese dub: "Kamiyu, kisama ore no... !" Was it "Listen to me, Kamille, if it weren't for you... " from the English dub or "Kamille! You're my... " from fansubs?

2. In relation to the first question, if "Kisama ore no... " was translated differently, what exactly did Jerid mean anyways?
Kuruni

Re: Jerid's Final Words

1."Kamille! You're my..." is direct translation

2.It's homosexual subtext. j/k I think English dub try to made the message clearer there.
My girlfriend was a loli.
AmuroNT1

Because Jerid only got a couple of words out, it's kinda hard to tell what he meant (especially considering Japanese sentence structure differs from English), but it probably wasn't going to be anything deeper than "If it wasn't for you...!" or some other type of dying curse. It's not like he was going to pull a Darth Vader and say "You're my brother!"
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Henyo

doghunter1 wrote:Two questions about what Jerid Messa was saying in his death scene in Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam:

1. What exactly was the correct translation of Kazuhiko Inoue's line from the Japanese dub: "Kamiyu, kisama ore no... !" Was it "Listen to me, Kamille, if it weren't for you... " from the English dub or "Kamille! You're my... " from fansubs?

2. In relation to the first question, if "Kisama ore no... " was translated differently, what exactly did Jerid mean anyways?
"you bastard, i would have..."

that's what my knowledge of Japanese translated it into. and its on the literal side.
kisama nowadays is translated as "you bastard/ insert other bad word here." instead of just a more rude "you"(unless its character relation relevant or a japenese language joke, it won't be pointed out.)

"i would've have..." was used, i think, to make it sound more natural. as for the correct.
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
Heaven Piercing Man

Something like "Kamille, you bastard! I would have defeated you!" maybe?
Amion

Heaven Piercing Man wrote:Something like "Kamille, you bastard! I would have defeated you!" maybe?
Sounds about right. Though literally I'm still betting on "Kamille, you're my...rival!" or something like that. I can get what he was trying to say. Course, by that point, Jerid was obviously far out of his "rival's" league. Shoulda not bashed Spacenoids, Oldtype!
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
excalibur2008

Amion wrote:Shoulda not bashed Spacenoids, Oldtype!
Oh course in several thousand years when Spacenoids start to change in ways they aren't too happy about and want to go back to Earth Jerid basically gets the last laugh.
Kuruni

Amion wrote:
Heaven Piercing Man wrote:Something like "Kamille, you bastard! I would have defeated you!" maybe?
Sounds about right. Though literally I'm still betting on "Kamille, you're my...rival!" or something like that. I can get what he was trying to say. Course, by that point, Jerid was obviously far out of his "rival's" league. Shoulda not bashed Spacenoids, Oldtype!
I say they're more of arch enemies than mere rivals. Jerid may seem to be out of Kamille's league with Scirocco and Yazan being around, but he's still one who cause two great loss (Hilda and Four) in Kamille's life, and Kamille cause as much suffering to him too.
My girlfriend was a loli.