New Blue Destiny manga to run in Gundam Ace

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Chris
Administrator

Re: New Blue Destiny manga to run in Gundam Ace

I wonder if this will be an updated retelling that covers the entire game compared to the incomplete original manga.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Wingnut

I'm certainly hoping so, Chris. The only bits of story I know beyond the manga printing is what's up on our own mech profiles for BD units 2 and 3.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
LightningCount

Cool! The original manga might be my favorite Gundam manga. I always felt it would make a fun anime with its likable cast of characters and more traditional action set-pieces. I doubt we'll ever see this manga overseas, but I'd be interested to see it cover the rest of the story.
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
Deacon Blues

I wouldn't be so sure... this is an entirely different staff.
Gundam Ace wrote:The Blue God of Death is Revived Once Again.
A New Serialization

Universal Century 0079 - The Final Stages of the One Year War.

A squadron, whose objective is the collection of real combat data from mobile suits,
The Earth Federation Forces 11th Autonomous Mechanized Composite Corps, otherwise known as the "Experimental Unit" is born.

An encounter with a blue mobile suit, lures them to their fate!

THE BLUE DESTINY
Manga by: You Taichi
Scenario by: Tomohiro Chiba (Studio Orphee)
You Taichi did "Full Metal Panic! Another"...
Tomohiro Chiba on Twitter wrote:Preliminary announcement in Gundam Ace on sale today. Serialization of "The Blue Destiny" begins in the next issue. Based on the original Sega Saturn game, which at the time, I was in charge of the scenario. This work will become a new Blue based on a new setting of the Universal Century. The artist is You Taichi.
NAOKI on Twitter wrote:I'll announce this since I was allowed to. I am in charge of the mechanical design for "The Blue Destiny" that was announced in the next issue previews of this month's Gundam Ace. There's a lot to draw! Please look forward to a new Blue!
balofo

Nice, didn't know Chiba did the Saturn game's story. He can be good sometimes :)

NAOKI is always good
YokozunaBulldozer

Either a re-telling like 0083, G, SEED, or a continuation of sorts perhaps?
I would not mind a re-telling where they show us more in-depth of what Yuu is thinking since he hardly speaks.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
AmuroNT1

Well, considering there's only really been the one BD manga, and that one cut off after BD1 and the Efreet were destroyed...

Plus, the main reason Yuu doesn't say much (at least in some games) is simply because he's the player's stand-in; they wanted you to be able to imagine that your responses were coming out of his mouth. As they've moved further away from that concept in games like Extreme Vs. and later G Generations, Yuu's developed his own voice and personality. Since a silent protagonist doesn't really work for a manga adaptation, odds are he'll be a fully realized character this time around.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Chris
Administrator

YokozunaBulldozer wrote:Either a re-telling like 0083, G, SEED, or a continuation of sorts perhaps?
I would not mind a re-telling where they show us more in-depth of what Yuu is thinking since he hardly speaks.
As Amuro noted, Yuu is meant to be a player stand-in, "You" Kajima, pun intended. Same idea was in place with Rise from the Ashes and its silent protagonist, Master P. Rayer.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
AmuroNT1

Some translations do actually render Yuu's name as "You" in order to preserve the joke; going purely by the katakana it's "Yuu".

The pun behind the latter's name kinda got lost in translation - "P. Rayer" = "Player".
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
YokozunaBulldozer

Gotta love those puns. :mrgreen:
But yeah hope this turns out alright.
Blue Destiny 1 and the Efreet are still one of my favorites.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
LightningCount

Thank you, balofo! This is turning out really great! From what little I can see here, it looks like the art and character designs are going to be on point. Some of the recent video games have warped the face designs of Yu (and especially his rival) to the point where I don't really recognize them. The head embellishment in the last pic of Blue Destiny will take some getting used to, but overall, I'm pleased. So far, it feels like a fitting modernization of the original manga's style, which I am a big fan of. I hope this somehow gets an official release overseas. Oh...and bring on the OVA!
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
PowerdGNFlag

Just noticed some new pop-out parts on the shoulders, leg thrusters and on the backpack. They seem to be pushing a Destroy mode on this 17 in-universe years too early.
Well, I guess I'm a nobody...
balofo

http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/asagawoblog/ ... 09011c.jpg
http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/asagawoblog/ ... 1a18af.jpg
http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/asagawoblog/ ... 7eb222.jpg
http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/asagawoblog/ ... 72295a.jpg
http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/asagawoblog/ ... e04fde.jpg

Yeah for Exam Mode the visor goes down a bit, shoulder outer armor/backpack/leg thruster expand(NAOKI did this so EXAM activation can be identified in the B/W pages of the manga). Antenna was added to the head as a monitoring unit when it becomes part of the Marmot Corps. Other new elements were added and will be revealed in the future.
Last edited by balofo on Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toysdream

I kind of like the retro-Destroy System idea. After all, this seems to have been where Gundam Unicorn stole the idea in the first place. Might need to retcon the Pale Rider accordingly, though. :-)

-- Mark
balofo

Regarding the Ground GM redesign: the Jet Pack mounts over the shoulders and chest; the extra head visor is for protecting the head camera from the atmospheric pressure while sky diving, after landing the extra gear is purged. The Ground GM is slightly better than a regular GM because it's diverted from the Ground Gundam production line.

Since Marmot is testing experimental equipment there may be new stuff in the following chapters.

**Old lineart info pages:
-EXAM: system that detects the brainwaves of the enemy pilots then feedbacks it to the pilot, making possible to anticipate/intercept attacks like a Newtype. Burden on the pilot is severe and may cause it to go berserk.
-Efreet Kai: larger head because of the old EXAM cooling system.
-Nimbus: came to Earth to get Dr. Klutz. Ruthless and confident.
-BD-1: EXAM was originally built on a Ground GM but since it couldn't keep up with the system's performance it was transferred to a Ground Gundam frame, that's why it has a GM head
-BD-2: same base performance as BD-1, only it has space equipment. After Nimbus stole it he painted the shoulders red.
-BD-3: assembled from BD-1/2 spare parts. Since EXAM was built on a Ground Gundam frame from the beginning it has a Gundam type head(same for BD-2). Same performance as BD-1/2 and space-able.
-GM Command: state-of-the-art GM used by Marmot. Improved generator output and every other spec is superior to the Ground GM. Capable of going toe-to-toe with Zeon's Zaku
-Yuu: assigned to Marmot as soon as the GM was completed after being training as a pilot. Very taciturn with first class pilot skills
zetatype

PowerdGNFlag wrote:Just noticed some new pop-out parts on the shoulders, leg thrusters and on the backpack. They seem to be pushing a Destroy mode on this 17 in-universe years too early.
Didn't EXAM system have some kind of berserk mode or something that made the pilot go insane? Or am I completely imagining that.
Kuruni

I hope they include longer version of Marion's flashback from EXA, one that depict Dr. Klutz as father figure to Marion (which give the scene which him become hostile toward her much greater impact).
My girlfriend was a loli.
balofo

I guess クリスト is supposed to be Christo or something