Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Compass

Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?

Yes, a thread title that makes me look absolutely insane and creepy. :lol:

Anyways, this new series came under the radar for me and I didn't hear about it till I saw it on Kotaku. It's a similar vein to those who enjoyed Sword Art Online or Log Horizon, except the game is reality by default, as opposed to an MMO of some sort, more similar to the old Tower of Druaga anime from a few years ago. Characters do get stats, but there's very few actual mechanics like special abilities that I've seen.

Also, the person who voices the main character also voiced Kirito from SAO and Aoba from Buddy Complex, so you know he's going to give a decent performance :lol:

Since it's only been out for 3 episodes so far, basically I classify it is as fantasy adventure comedy or something, and maybe we can talk about it some more after people have tried it.
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Quick Picks that ended Last Season: Gundam Build Fighters!!! Buddy Complex
Strike Zero

Re: Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?

I was introduced to this show through some crossover fanart wherein the artist dressed a character I knew as Hestia, because holy mother, there is fanart of Hestia EVERY-WHERE.

One thing lead to another and, yeah, I'm watching this show now. Mainly for Hestia. But who knows, it might end up going somewhere interesting in the long run. :mrgreen:
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Henyo

surprisingly enough, Matsuoka sounds quite different here. his last few roles are just lower pitched Kirito's. kinds like Johnny Yong Bosch' IMO.

seiyuu aside, yeah Hestia, or rather her physics defying strings is all over the place. there's even a Yuusha mecha donning said strings. you guys seen that one? :twisted:

one last note: this show has some blink and you'll miss it pantsu shots. :twisted:
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
Compass

Spoiler
That gem shard is HUGE COMPARED TO THE KNIFE. I missed it the first time, but you can barely see it sticking to the thing. Assuming that the stuff he got from earlier was like 1700g, this is like 1 million g @_@
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Quick Picks that ended Last Season: Gundam Build Fighters!!! Buddy Complex
Ryujin

This was one of my random picks for this season's shows to watch.

I was rather surprised that the fantasy language was actually pretty comprehendable english.

Didn't expect that huge a reaction to Hestia's ribbon, though (I barely noticed it at first, tbh).
Raikoh

I don't know why I started watching it, since I usually find these sort of blatant pandering otakubait series to be boring and annoying. I guess it's fine to watch some every now and again.

It's okay. Nothing too bad so far, other than the usual "way too OP MC who amasses a harem with intangible charisma" which has been very quickly getting old. But it hasn't done anything that makes it seem too bad as of yet, especially if they cut that absurd XP multiplier out of the plot sooner rather than later.

Ah, what the hell. It's a light novel adaptation, I shouldn't expect much from it in terms of characters or story. (I say fully aware that Ore Twintail was a light novel adaptation and was absolutely amazing.)
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE
SonicSP

Strike Zero wrote:I was introduced to this show through some crossover fanart wherein the artist dressed a character I knew as Hestia, because holy mother, there is fanart of Hestia EVERY-WHERE.
To be frank, the reason why the series came to my attention was because of this as well.
Lord Dearche

Ended up picking this up last night. Mainly because I was wondering why the bloody hell there was so much artwork on PixIV of Noire, the Sony goddess from the Nep games. Then I actually bothered to click on them and saw the name of the show in the tags and looked it up.

Which lead me to watching the show which I now know isn't about Noire. Albeit, it's still about a fallen goddess, who has no friends, and this is literally the Geki Noire spin off game...

http://i.imgur.com/m7tfjvU.jpg

So far I'm really enjoying it. But the main character is just annoying to all hell. He has his own goddess, that clearly loves him and is open about it, but he's too stupid and dense to realize it, and only focuses on his puppy dog crush on some random girl way out of his league.
Sabersonic

But the main character is just annoying to all hell. He has his own goddess, that clearly loves him and is open about it, but he's too stupid and dense to realize it, and only focuses on his puppy dog crush on some random girl way out of his league.
Isn't that nearly all male anime protagonists in a nutshell?

Humor aside, I only heard about DanMachi when a news article on either Flipboard or ANN (can't really recall witch) when it made note of Twitter entries of girls trying out the whole idea of using a ribbon to perk up one's breasts with varying degrees of success/failure.

So, after learning that it's available to stream on Crunchyroll, I figured "Might as well see what else this show has to offer." Still waiting for that draw, though it does have that SAO/Log Horizon feel but without the whole MMO setup.
Though he may have his flaws and faults, he was a husband and a father without equal. May the Angels welcome and accept him with open arms.

Rest in Peace, Dad

"If I had seen farther than others, it has been by standing on the shoulders of giants." - Sir Issac Newton
AmuroNT1

Not to try and derail the discussion, but I think weak male leads is one of the biggest reasons I dislike harem-type anime. I just don't get why a guy with very few redeeming qualities (other than token niceness) would ever be chased after by a ton of girls like that, other than it's meant to appeal to the male viewers.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Lord Dearche

That's why DxD is my haremking.tv anime of the year. ALL years. Literally.

The author has already even said it openly. "Yes when this is all over he'll have a legit girlfriend, and yes he'll actually have the full harem as well which the other girls don't mind either.".

As in an actual legit harem, not just a "Guy is liked by all these girls but he'll only be with one" end, but the "He'll actually Mostly all of them" end.
Raikoh

The issue can easily be fixed by making the main character have a distinct personality with likes and dislikes, flaws, quirks, and such. Sugisaki of Seitokai no Ichizon (which nobody watched) is one example where I have no issues with him amassing a harem because he's hilarious and he certainly earned it by having touching moments with all of the major members of the harem. The problem, though, is that making the harem leader actually be a character reduces the widespread appeal, since most people prefer just to project themselves onto a bland protagonist rather than see something with more effort put into it.

Danmachi did it the wrong way, where... Well, the most blatant example is Freya only catching a glimpse of Bell from one story up and the corner of her eye and suddenly she's obsessed with him. It's WEIRD because from about ten seconds in the OP (namely the tooth brushing shot) I can see it would be a lot more enjoyable if they just focused on Bell and Hestia instead of going for a harem - it's not like the other girls are seeing even a fraction of Hestia's popularity.

It's common for harem protagonists to be dense, but Bell is especially dense because Hestia isn't even attempting to hide her attraction and he can't catch on there. I'm just hoping that as the episodes go on he'll have some more flaws brought out. All he really has more than the standard dense nature is that he's seemed like kind of a crybaby, and he rushes into situations that are way beyond his ability, but I somehow doubt either of those will be played up much. Bell is given a free pass to not REALLY grow since he gets an XP multiplier that seems to just be getting better each episode, which means pretty soon he'll be able to just glide on high stats alone.
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE
Henyo

i find it Hestia's popularity strange. she's an just and oppai loli(a combination i'm starting to hate.) for me so far. is it because of her super strong strange strings? her characterization in further volumes? Seiyuu?

then again, i'm the kind of otaku that avoids what many others are looking forwards to.(that includes Ghibli works.)
Raikoh

I dunno, I think it's just that people like her character design and her being so supportive and helpful to Bell (despite him not really deserving it) makes her an ideal waifu target? I haven't read the novels so that's my best guess. A lot of really popular characters are the "what you see is what you get" types. Honestly I can see the appeal of Hestia, but she certainly doesn't have the depth to make her have a great personality. But we're only four episodes deep, so character development is still possible.
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE
Henyo

the Hestia hype has reached madness levels here in the Philippines.
some guy bought a Hestia tarp for 5000 pesos in a certain anime convention. why is it madness? the tarp isn't a legal product. it was made by the organizers. the image used isn't even that hard to find on the internet. heck, i could have one made myself just for 200 pesos.(there was a much more expensive tarp, it's UBW Saber. it got sold for 7500K) MADNESS! :evil:

on to the anime itself, i'm giving Bell the BOTD. he might just be telling himself he doesn't deserve Hestia. she's a goddess after all. the gods and goddesses from different cultures might live on the same plane but they're still gods and goddesses.